Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE: Manti Te'o on girlfriend hoax: 'Painful and humiliating'

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

UPDATE: Manti Te'o on girlfriend hoax: 'Painful and humiliating'

To tell the story of Manti Te'o, Notre Dame's star linebacker, one must discuss his inspirational play in this September's win over Michigan State. Just days after the death of his grandmother and his girlfriend, Te'o racked up 12 tackles and recovered a fumble in a 20-3 victory over the Spartans. The following Saturday, after Kekua's funeral, Te'o made two interceptions in a 13-6 victory over Michigan.

In articles in Sports Illustrated and the South Bend Tribune and in interviews on ESPN, Te'o would recount how his girlfriend, Lennay Kekua, requested that he send white flowers to her funeral. Te'o said that the last words he shared with Kekua were "I love you."

It was a beautiful story, one that publicized Te'o's off-field back story in time to heat up his Heisman Trophy campaign. The story grew over the next three months, including a three-minute piece on CBS This Morning on the day of the BCS championship game on Jan. 7.

The story was also entirely false, according to an article by Deadspin.com. According to Deadspin, not only did Te'o's girlfriend not die in the days leading up the Michigan State game, she didn't exist at all.

full story @ http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...dspin/1840415/

Story developing and getting bizarre.
    Last edited by stillers4me; 01-16-2013 at 05:33 PM.

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

Re: Report: Manti Te'o's inspirational girlfriend story a hoax

i'm confused

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

so he faked that his "GF" died? if so screw him do not want anymore

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayC View Post
    so he faked that his "GF" died? if so screw him do not want anymore
    Deadspin saying he faked the whole girlfriend, this girl did not exist at all. Notre Dame has released a statement that Te'o was a victim of a ruse and a lady faked everything.

Bizarre.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

One flew east, one flew west....
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Manti Te'o on girlfriend hoax: 'Painful and humiliating'

Manti Te'o
    released a statement Wednesday on the apparent hoax uncovered by Deadspin, claiming that he was victimized.During the season, Te'o was said to have had a very close relationship with a Stanford graduate who got into a car accident and later died of leukemia around the same time as his grandmother passed away. Wednesday, that girlfriend was revealed by Deadspin never to have existed.

The linebacker called the situation a "sick joke," and said that the entire experience was, "incredibly embarrassing to talk about." Here's the full text of his emotional statement:
    "This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but over an extended period of time, I developed an emotional relationship with a woman I met online. We maintained what I thought to be an authentic relationship by communicating frequently online and on the phone, and I grew to care deeply about her. "To realize that I was the victim of what was apparently someone's sick joke and constant lies was, and is, painful and humiliating...................

Read more @ http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...ekua-statement

- - - Updated - - -

Reminds me of Andrea McNutty's soldier boyfriend "Ben".

Dwinsgames

Re: UPDATE: Manti Te'o on girlfriend hoax: 'Painful and humiliating'

oh boy .................................................. ..............

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Note to Kevin Colbert: kid most likely has mental issues, please avoid him if he falls to your position in the draft.

He might drop to the 3rd or 4th round now. I'd take a flyer on him if he does.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

"A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

WTF?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Colin Dunlap‏@colin_dunlap
    DEAR MR. TE'O SIR, MY NAME KING NAARFAR SON OF PRINCE IN ABOUT KENYA NAIROBI. PLEASE AT YOUR HONOR SEND $500,000 TO EMAIL FOR BUSINESS.

Evil Mike Tomlin‏@EvilMikeTomlin
    Manti Te'o hasn't been available for comment, but neither has his girlfriend

Evil Mike Tomlin‏@EvilMikeTomlin
    Manti Te'o says it has been his SIMS girlfriend all along, but he felt like she was real

Faux John Madden‏@FauxJohnMadden
    "Pros - Great leader, Heisman runner-up; Cons - Creates fake girlfriends, Still can't tackle Alabama RB's" - Mel Kiper on Manti Te'o

Seth Meyers‏@sethmeyers21
    These Te'o jokes are all very funny but let's all try and remember that a person who never existed is dead.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

It may or may not have been his fault. We don't know yet. We have to sort out whether or not he knew before passing on him

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Rumor has it that he's covering up being Gay...

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

Ask Tom Brady how well that's worked out.

Evil Mike Tomlin@EvilMikeTomlin
    Manti Te'o just changed his Facebook status to 'its complicated'

Reagan Mauia, an Arizona Cardinals fullback, said he believes Kekua existed because he met her in person when he and other Polynesian teammates and Pittsburgh Steelers star Troy Polamalu went to do charity work in American Samoa in June 2011.

"This was before her and Manti," Mauia said Wednesday evening. "I don't think Manti was even in the picture, but she and I became good friends. We would talk off and on, just checking up on each other kind of thing. I am close to her family. When she was going through the loss of her father, I was -- I offered a comforting shoulder and just someone to bounce her emotions off. That was just from meeting her in Samoa."
    Mauia said Tuiasosopo -- whom Mauia believes is Kekua's cousin -- introduced the two. After the initial meeting, Mauia said he met her at an "after-party" for all of the athletes involved in the camp.
    "She was tall," he said. "Volleyball-type of physique. She was athletic, tall, beautiful. Long hair. Polynesian. She looked like a model ... "
    He said it is his understanding that Kekua's mother is operating her Twitter account. He said he'd never met her mother. When told by a reporter that she apparently might not have existed, Mauia said: "No, she is real."
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...pparently-hoax

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Oh my God those jokes are all terrible.

But I can't stop laughing.

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

He's perfect for the Jets

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

I just heard that Brent Musberger said that she is hot.

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

Rofl! This thread is GOLD.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    All jokes aside, that would make the most sense.

You figure it's got to be tough for a gay athlete with teammates trying to fix you up, or wonder why you're ignoring these hot co-eds throwing themselves at you constantly. So you invent a girlfriend to diffuse the issue and because of your fame as a player the press asks about your personal life and your story goes viral, so to speak, gets investigated and you're revealed as a fraud.

Whatever I fell sorry for the kid is this is the case. But at the same token I think he should come out if so. I don't think most NFL teams would hold it against him in this day and age.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

I doubt he was involved in this for Heisman recognition, which is what some people are saying. His play on the field did that for him.

I think either...

A) He was really a victim

or

B) He was involved in it to cover up he is gay.

I'm starting to think he is covering up being gay, which I can totally understand. He is at a religious school, very religious himself.

I hope thats it and I hope he says so soon. Because if he did it for Heisman recognition, even as an ND football fan and someone who loves the guy, I will love all respect for him...

The whole thing is fucked up...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

If he really was duped, which is what I am starting to believe, it would be stupid to pass him up for a lesser talent

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Maybe it's to explain his shower woodies....

"Dude! I was NOT staring at you, I was just thinking about my girl friend!..."
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

- - - Updated - - -