Thread: Odds favor Penguins, Rangers as 2013 Stanley Cup champs

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

Odds favor Penguins, Rangers as 2013 Stanley Cup champs

So that lockout thing is finally done with and you likely have some money saved up that's burning a whole in your entertainment budget. Fear not as the fine people at Bovada released their 2013 Stanley Cup and conference champion odds on Monday.There aren't many changes from over the summer, so your favorites are still the Pittsburgh Penguins and New York Rangers and at the bottom of the pile lay the New York Islanders and Columbus Blue Jackets.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Re: Odds favor Penguins, Rangers as 2013 Stanley Cup champs

I wouldn't go jumping on the Pens' bandwagon just yet. They still don't have a legit 2nd-line winger to play with Geno and Neal, and after Letang/Orpik, their defense is suspect. Meanwhile, the Rags, as much as I hate to admit it, are strong pretty much everywhere. Their only problems might be finding enough goals after Nash/Gaborik/Richards, and they still don't have a true power play QB. Other than that, I have to grudgingly give the edge to the Rangers over the Pens. Excuse me while I go purge the contents of my stomach.

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

I agree with your PP analysis -- They havent had a true PP QB since the Leetch / Zubov days .

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

That is assuming the Pens don't shit themselves in the playoffs again.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    I wouldn't go jumping on the Pens' bandwagon just yet. They still don't have a legit 2nd-line winger to play with Geno and Neal, and after Letang/Orpik, their defense is suspect. Meanwhile, the Rags, as much as I hate to admit it, are strong pretty much everywhere. Their only problems might be finding enough goals after Nash/Gaborik/Richards, and they still don't have a true power play QB. Other than that, I have to grudgingly give the edge to the Rangers over the Pens. Excuse me while I go purge the contents of my stomach.
    This. Kris Letang and Brooks Orpik are the two best defensive players, but I feel that their isn't anyone else that helps out as much when it comes to the PP. Of course, that's probably why Derrick Pouliot was drafted in the first round (which I have high hopes for him). I'm also excited to see about the other young prospects for the team as well, both offense and defense. If we could pick up just one more winger, I think we'd be set offensively. I would also like a better backup goalie as well for Marc.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    This. Kris Letang and Brooks Orpik are the two best defensive players, but I feel that their isn't anyone else that helps out as much when it comes to the PP. Of course, that's probably why Derrick Pouliot was drafted in the first round (which I have high hopes for him). I'm also excited to see about the other young prospects for the team as well, both offense and defense. If we could pick up just one more winger, I think we'd be set offensively. I would also like a better backup goalie as well for Marc.
    They signed Tomas Vokoun to be his backup, who will be better than Brent Johnson even though he is 36. He will get a lot of playing time, too, which should save Flower for the postseason, should the Pens make it.

Not only did they draft Pouliot, they also drafted Olli Maatta last year, and have Joe Morrow and Scott Harrington in the pipeline. So they should be set on defense for a long time. Now, if they would just concentrate on drafting some wingers...

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

So the saga that is the Toronto Maple Leafs continues. Brian Burke got fired. Kind of odd timing, but he hasn't really done anything to keep getting the big bucks.

But, that is not where it ends, they keep him on staff as an advisor! ?????!!!!!!

The Cleveland Browns have nothing on us.

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Way too early to be jumping the gun. The Pens on paper look like the favorite sure and yes, we have the obvious fire power in the center position, but you can't forget the defense. Martin needs to show up this season this Fluery stands a chance this season at all, Remember how poorly Martin played right after he received his fat paycheck, that killed our defense down the stretch last season.

Also which Fluery will we see? I know his regular season average was pretty good (somewhere around .913 save % and 2.36 goals a game), but during the Flyers playoff game his numbers were awful (no thanks to the defense.)
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd