Thread: 22nd amendment repeal legislation introduced

Dwinsgames

22nd amendment repeal legislation introduced

Americans around the nation were shocked Friday as they heard about H.J.Res.
    15. H.J.Res 15 proposes an amendment to the Constitution of the United States to repeal the Twenty-second Amendment.
    This would remove the limitation on the number of terms an individual may serve as President. Rep. José Serrano (D- NY15)
    introduced the controversial joint resolution on Friday, the second day of the 2013 legislative session

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Re: 22nd amendment repeal legislation introduced

Doesn't matter. 3/4 of the states must ratify the changing of the constitution...it's moot, it'll never happen

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Gonna need a link for this one, Dwins.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

According to snopes, this guy has introduced a bill like this nine times, dating back to 1997. The bill has been introduced by others numerous times before and has never even gone to vote.

So much ado about nothing. Move along people.

EDIT: Snopes Link

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/termlimits.asp

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

The same guy has done it every year since 2001 (yes, when Bush was in office). It never goes anywhere.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Just more conspiracy hackery.

You beat me to it Chidi.

and X, it is an actual proposed bill, but it'll never even make it out of committee. It's a fringe bill that will never see the light of day. Even if it did, it would need to pass the house, the senate, AND 3/4 of the states...not gonna happen

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

OK, I was not aware that this guy has introduced this bill numerous times before. Thanks for the info, Alex and Shawn, and you're right...there's no way in hell this bill will ever see the light of day.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Even if it does get passed by the house and senate, you will never get 3/4 of the states to allow Nobama to run for a third term

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Everyone else beat me to it; not worth discussing because it's never gonna happen.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Of course, who ever is the commander in chief (Obama) of the military can always construct a "lie" and take over... like this guy:

Remember "General Order 66"

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
    Of course, who ever is the commander in chief (Obama) of the military can always construct a "lie" and take over... like this guy:

Remember "General Order 66"
    Execute Order 66.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

On one hand you guys are saying and pointing out how Obama is quite willing to stomp all over the Constitution on gun control. But on this issue you seem to feel as if he's Constitutionally bound and there's zero chance that the 22nd Amendment could be repealed or subverted prior to the 2016 election?

Remember there's a good chance Obama could get a couple more Supreme Court justices in place in the next couple years. I wouldn't put any rewrite of the Constitution past this Adiministration in order to consilidate and maintain power.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    On one hand you guys are saying and pointing out how Obama is quite willing to stomp all over the Constitution on gun control. But on this issue you seem to feel as if he's Constitutionally bound and there's zero chance that the 22nd Amendment could be repealed or subverted prior to the 2016 election?

Remember there's a good chance Obama could get a couple more Supreme Court justices in place in the next couple years. I wouldn't put any rewrite of the Constitution past this Adiministration in order to consilidate and maintain power.
    You need 3/4 of the states and both houses of Congress to repeal any Amendment, meaning there isn't a chance in hell of this ever happening. There is no getting around it, not even through the Supreme Court. If it didn't make it out of committee when Bush (both of them) and Clinton were in office, it's not going to see the light of day now.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    You need 3/4 of the states and both houses of Congress to repeal any Amendment, meaning there isn't a chance in hell of this ever happening. There is no getting around it, not even through the Supreme Court. If it didn't make it out of committee when Bush (both of them) and Clinton were in office, it's not going to see the light of day now.

Executive order 66 indeed.

neither Clinton or Bush enjoyed the insurmountable voting bloc that Hopey has behind him, so neither would have for a second made any attempt to run for a 3rd term in office. Because they know they wouldn't have had a snowball chance in hell of getting reelected.

With tyrants where there's a will there's a way.

My guess the Dems will control both houses in 2014. And somehow or other they'll figure out a way around the 3/4 of the states needing to ratify.
    Last edited by zulater; 01-12-2013 at 01:01 PM.

By the way I'm not saying it will happen. I just wont dismiss the possibility that it could happen. I could see some sort of wag the dog scenario occuring about 2 1/2 years into this term where both Democrat controlled houses would beg the commander in Chief to stay on for a 3rd term for the good of the nation and Hopey would "reluctantly" agree if the constitution can be proplerly amended. By this time they'll have naturlized enough illegal immigrants throughout the country to have a chance to get 3/4 of the states to sign off. And of course they'll use the media and late night comics to harange anyone who dare tries to stand in the way labeling them as radicals and dimwits who want to take away average American's right to vote, collect food stamps, medicare, welfare, reproductive rights etc... etc...etc...

Not going to happen.

I hope it doesn't.

Executive order 66 indeed.

neither Clinton or Bush enjoyed the insurmountable voting bloc that Hopey has behind him, so neither would have for a second made any attempt to run for a 3rd term in office. Because they know they wouldn't have had a snowball chance in hell of getting reelected.

With tyrants where there's a will there's a way.

My guess the Dems will control both houses in 2014. And somehow or other they'll figure out a way around the 3/4 of the states needing to ratify.
    What "insurmountable voting bloc?" Hopey has nothing of the sort. There are not enough minorities and illegals in this country to overcome the overwhelming majority of voters who think the idea of possibly having a Chavez-like dictator isn't for them. And actually, Clinton would have had a very good chance of winning a 3rd term if it were allowed considering the state of the economy at the time.

Dude, your paranoia is showing. There is absolutely NO WAY the 22nd Amendment gets repealed.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Run Michelle and she can be Queen.

What "insurmountable voting bloc?" Hopey has nothing of the sort. There are not enough minorities and illegals in this country to overcome the overwhelming majority of voters who think the idea of possibly having a Chavez-like dictator isn't for them. And actually, Clinton would have had a very good chance of winning a 3rd term if it were allowed considering the state of the economy at the time.

Dude, your paranoia is showing. There is absolutely NO WAY the 22nd Amendment gets repealed.
    "Dude". It's not fucking paranoia, it's observational commentary, and I already said I doubt it will happen. I'm just saying don't discount the possibility entirely.

Logically the Nazi's and their death camps should have never existed in a supposed civilized Western culture. But it happened, and we're not nearly as far removed from that as people want to believe.

"Dude". It's not fucking paranoia, it's observational commentary, and I already said I doubt it will happen. I'm just saying don't discount the possibility entirely.

Logically the Nazi's and their death camps should have never existed in a supposed civilized Western culture. But it happened, and we're not nearly as far removed from that as people want to believe.
    The Germans didn't have a Constitution like ours, either. Kinda makes it easier to install that kind of a murderous dictatorship without it.

And I'm sorry, but it is paranoia to even think that Obama could make an end-around the 22nd Amendment. It will not happen.

The Germans didn't have a Constitution like ours, either. Kinda makes it easier to install that kind of a murderous dictatorship without it.

And I'm sorry, but it is paranoia to even think that Obama could make an end-around the 22nd Amendment. It will not happen.
    Unlikely but it could happen. The world is changing faster than you think.

Senior Member Array title="ShoeHorn will become famous soon enough"> ShoeHorn's Avatar

I agree that it probably won't happen, but it absolutely COULD happen. If our country stays on the current path (or worse) it will be completely unrecognizable by the time 2016 rolls around. He will have the House and Senate at that point. And its not like the Dear Leader has ever had any regard for the constitution, anyways. Then throw in the Chicago political thuggery that follows him everywhere he goes and you could definitely have a scenario he runs for, and easily gets a 3rd term.

Call me paranoid but I've actually had this worry in the back of my mind for the last few years that I wouldn't put it past Hopey to go for a 3rd term. OK can some republicans please grow some balls and stand up to this POS!!!!

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by ShoeHorn; 01-15-2013 at 10:02 PM. Reason: posted twice