Thread: NDAA Signed Into Law By Obama

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

NDAA Signed Into Law By Obama

NDAA Signed Into Law By Obama Despite Guantanamo Veto Threat, Indefinite Detention Provisions

President Barack Obama signed the National Defense Authorization Act of 2013 on Wednesday, despite his own threat to veto it over prohibitions on closing the Guantanamo Bay prison camp.
    Civil liberties advocates had roundly criticized the bill over Guantanamo and a separate section that could allow the military to indefinitely detain American citizens on suspicions of supporting terrorism. Just as he did with last year's version of the bill, however, Obama decided that the need to pass the NDAA, which also sets the armed forces' $633 billion budget for the 2013 fiscal year, was simply "too great to ignore," according to a presidential signing statement released in the early morning hours Thursday.
    Members of the human rights coalition that had urged Obama to follow through on his veto threat blasted his decision as a cave to congressional Republicans.
    "President Obama has utterly failed the first test of his second term, even before inauguration day,” American Civil Liberties Union Executive Director Anthony Romero said in a statement. “His signature means indefinite detention without charge or trial, as well as the illegal military commissions, will be extended.”
    "It's the second time that the president has promised to veto a piece of a very controversial national security legislation only to sign it," said Shahid Buttar, executive director of the Bill of Rights Defense Committee. "He has a habit of promising resistance to national security initiatives that he ultimately ends up supporting and enabling."

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/03/ndaa-obama-indefinite-detention_n_2402601.html?icid=maing-grid7|maing9|dl1|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D252348

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: NDAA Signed Into Law By Obama

"It's the second time that the president has promised to veto a piece of a very controversial national security legislation only to sign it," said Shahid Buttar, executive director of the Bill of Rights Defense Committee. "He has a habit of promising resistance to national security initiatives that he ultimately ends up supporting and enabling."
    And this is different from anything else that he's done for the last four years...how? You helped to reelect him, so quit bitching.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Obama's first and second terms summed up in 2 sentences. Assault on our freedoms and destruction of our country. I am all for combating terrorism and the ACLU is bonkers but the clause about Obama being able to detain people suspected of terrorism indefinitely is unsettling because it will allow Obama to detain anyone who disagrees with him and merely claim that "he felt" they were terrorists. I think that we can fight terrorism without the indefinite detention of American citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Obama's first and second terms summed up in 2 sentences. Assault on our freedoms and destruction of our country. I am all for combating terrorism and the ACLU is bonkers but the clause about Obama being able to detain people suspected of terrorism indefinitely is unsettling because it will allow Obama to detain anyone who disagrees with him and merely claim that "he felt" they were terrorists. I think that we can fight terrorism without the indefinite detention of American citizens.
    I absolutely and wholeheartedly agree with you. Our fore fathers are turning in their graves.

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

That's a double-edged sword. If abused then yes it can be bad. But if used responsibly then it could keep potential terrorists of the street.

The question is whether or not Obama will use it in an abusive or responsible manner. I guess if we start hearing of people being snatched from there homes in the middle of the night then he is abusing it, eh???
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

One more step on the road to dictatorship. Thanks, Hopey.

You know it's a bad law when I'm on the ACLU's side.

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Hope! Change! Unity! Yes We Can!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post
    That's a double-edged sword. If abused then yes it can be bad. But if used responsibly then it could keep potential terrorists of the street.

The question is whether or not Obama will use it in an abusive or responsible manner. I guess if we start hearing of people being snatched from there homes in the middle of the night then he is abusing it, eh???
    We all know Obama is going to use it as an abusive manner

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    And this is different from anything else that he's done for the last four years...how? You helped to reelect him, so quit bitching.
    *That's* a little unfair. Who was he supposed to vote for? Romney?
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post

The Constitution does not allow us to entrust rights to the government and trust them not to abuse it. The NDAA claims a power that is expressly forbidden to the President and is clearly unconstitutional.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

The constitution is not worth the paper it is written on when the majority of legislators and judiciary believe it should be a "living" document.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    The constitution is not worth the paper it is written on when the majority of legislators and judiciary believe it should be a "living" document.
    ^Truth. Which is why the *voters* need to insist on enforcing the contract. The problem is that very few of them understand what the contract is for or pay it it's proper respect. Nobody gets Civics classes anymore.
    Rights are fragile in a democracy. The time to stand up for them is when you don't like what it means. In this case, it makes America less safe. People are at risk and might die. That might be you, me, or anybody.
    It's easy to back down and make allowances, but that is exactly the time when you have to stand up and defend your rights by defending somebody else's.
    We are Americans. We do not go to prison without due process. We get our day in court. That kind of shit happens in Soviet Russia or some backwater dictatorship, but it cannot be allowed to fly here. Not even if the guy is a guilty-as-sin Jihad terrorist. If they can prove it, then hang the terrorist. But *prove* it.

That's what freedom is about.

Official Troll Array title="The Patriot is a name known to all"> The Patriot's Avatar

The Supreme Court will probably find a way to justify this one too... Maybe presidents shouldn't be the ones to nominate justices.

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    At least Mitt was honest about his intentions

Dwinsgames

who knows what is true and what is not true at this point ....

all I know is nobody will be truthful with you about what is and is not happening ...

and NOBODY will agree all the time on what is happening but that does not mean the person you are disagreeing with is not the one who is right .... its anyone's guess at this point

Quote Originally Posted by NJarhead View Post
    At least Mitt was honest about his intentions
    You've got me there.
    A major problem with these candidates is that they don't know a whole lot beyond how to act "electable". They keep advisors for minor details like policy. The problem is that the advisors are all the same people regardless of which hood ornament gets elected.
    The one advantage (if you can call it that) that I get over most people is that I get to meet these people in person and observe them when there are no cameras around and they think nobody's watching. Obama's a horrible President, but we dodged a bullet with Romney. That guy was a train wreck waiting to happen.

Gary Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Gary Johnson.
    That's who I voted for.

I didn't harbor any illusions about his chances.

Dwinsgames

Obama's a horrible President, but we dodged a bullet with Romney. That guy was a train wreck waiting to happen.
    Not sure what Bullet was or was not dodged , seems we where going to get screwed either way ...

I voted Romney , figured I knew I did not like the last 4 years and just about anything would be an improvement .... How bad could Romney have been is anyone guess but seems doubtful it could be much worse than what we currently have ...

at least he wasn't after our guns ( or so he claimed anyways )

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Not sure what Bullet was or was not dodged , seems we where going to get screwed either way ...

I voted Romney , figured I knew I did not like the last 4 years and just about anything would be an improvement .... How bad could Romney have been is anyone guess but seems doubtful it could be much worse than what we currently have ...

I'm not so sure about that brother. He was going to do the same things Obama is doing only under team "R". Which in the long run is only going to hurt team "R" even more than Bush did. For the record, I voted for Gary Johnson, and I will continue to do so until the Republicans get their heads out of their collective asses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post

I voted for Johnson too. If I lived in a swing state I probably would have voted for Romney. Not that I think he would have been great, but because there's a possibility of getting something different. I know what we're getting with four more years of Obama and I don't like it. If Romney turned out to be another Bush/Obama, we could have run him off in 2016. And run the D off in 2020. And keep doing it until they get the message.

Since Mississippi was in the bag anyway, I was free to vote on principle.