Thread: "Haley Was An 8-8 Offensive Coordinator"

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

"Haley Was An 8-8 Offensive Coordinator"

Last edited by fansince'76; 12-31-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Added link.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: "Haley Was An 8-8 Offensive Coordinator"

Not entirely fair, considering Roethlisberger's injury.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I cannot believe Haley allowed so many injuries and turnovers.

Off with his head.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Tomlin uses that phrase all the time.

Nothing to see here.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Wow! Tomlin has no right to insult any coach. Tomlin was the clueless idiot that oversaw this massively underperforming team lose to crap team after crap team, awful coach after awful coach, and did NOTHING to correct the flaws. Haley just oversaw an offense that sputtered and rapidly declined in the 2nd half of the season. He had nothing to do with the losses to Oakland or Tennessee, nor the awful special teams

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    Tomlin uses that phrase all the time.

Nothing to see here.
    Really? You sure about that?

Read it in context and I'm not so sure.

During his season-in-review press conference today, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin heaped praise on Dick LeBeau but didn’t exactly return the favor in regards to Todd Haley.
    Tomlin said it’s too early to speculate if there will be any changes on his coaching. He will meet with assistants later this week and early next week.
    But when told that LeBeau wants to return as defensive coordinator, Tomlin said, “I think everybody is aware that I’m happy with the work of Dick LeBeau. A fine man, a fine coach.”
    But when asked about Haley, Tomlin said “He was an 8-8 (offensive) coordinator as I was an 8-8 head coach.”

Now obviously at the end he throws himself under the proverbial bus as well.

But if as has long been rumored the Arians firing came from up above, and Tomlin wasn't comletely onbard with the neccessity of change last season, then maybe he's letting those above him know that he's not exactly thrilled with the work of the OC this year, such as it was.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Taking just part of the quote is a bit misleading.

But when asked about Haley, Tomlin said “He was an 8-8 (offensive) coordinator as I was an 8-8 head coach.”

Tomlin isn't saying anything more about Haley than he's saying about himself.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    But if as has long been rumored the Arians firing came from up above, and Tomlin wasn't comletely onbard with the neccessity of change last season, then maybe he's letting those above him know that he's not exactly thrilled with the work of the OC this year, such as it was.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Really? You sure about that?

Read it in context and I'm not so sure.

During his season-in-review press conference today, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin heaped praise on Dick LeBeau but didn’t exactly return the favor in regards to Todd Haley.
    Tomlin said it’s too early to speculate if there will be any changes on his coaching. He will meet with assistants later this week and early next week.
    But when told that LeBeau wants to return as defensive coordinator, Tomlin said, “I think everybody is aware that I’m happy with the work of Dick LeBeau. A fine man, a fine coach.”

Now obviously at the end he throws himself under the proverbial bus as well.

I haven't listened to the questions yet, but I assume someone asked "Is LeBeau coming back?" and then someone asked, "How do you evaluate Haley's job as an OC?". So they're different questions.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

ouch. well, he isnt wrong, regardless of injuries. Hopefully next year we can cut our list of offensive players that miss 1 or more games (Big Ben, Brown, Colon, Decastro, Wallace, Pouncey, Adams, Gilbert, DJ, Leftwich, Cotchery, and Miller) by at least friggin half so we can see what haley can do with a semi-banged up offense. just like arians, im willing to give him a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    Taking just part of the quote is a bit misleading.

Tomlin isn't saying anything more about Haley than he's saying about himself.[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Or he could be saying, I was an 8-8 coach because of that idiot they made me hire.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

Coach Haley left a lot to be desired this season. Something I was afraid of when the hire was made - his system is very much the same as it was in Kansas City. And unfortunately, at least this year, simply adding Ben and superior talents at other positions didn't translate into success. I bet Haley was surprised his schemes didn't take off. Hopefully, if he sticks around, he'll realize he needs to expand upon what he has been doing. Because the talent is there.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    Coach Haley left a lot to be desired this season. Something I was afraid of when the hire was made - his system is very much the same as it was in Kansas City. And unfortunately, at least this year, simply adding Ben and superior talents at other positions didn't translate into success. I bet Haley was surprised his schemes didn't take off. Hopefully, if he sticks around, he'll realize he needs to expand upon what he has been doing. Because the talent is there.
    I think it is WAY too early to say.

In fact, before Ben's injury:

They were 6-3

Sacks were down considerably

3rd down efficiency was #1 in the nfl

They were scoring more points per game than last year.

Not saying Haley is the 2nd coming but there were A LOT of mitigating factors with regard to the offense tanking the last 7 games.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="slippy will become famous soon enough"> slippy's Avatar

if you actually watch the video you will see this thread is almost pointless. really nothing here.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    I think it is WAY too early to say.

In fact, before Ben's injury:

They were 6-3

Sacks were down considerably

3rd down efficiency was #1 in the nfl

They were scoring more points per game than last year.

Not saying Haley is the 2nd coming but there were A LOT of mitigating factors with regard to the offense tanking the last 7 games.
    Agreed.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

If Ben didn't get hurt, I'm sure we wouldn't be having this conversation right now, but as they say... shit happens.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

LeBeau shouldn't get a free pass either. Let's not forget the blown games early in the season.

Regardless, Tomlin better be disappointed that this team finished 8-8. Even with the injuries, this team could have easily finished 10-6 or 11-5.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Drama, drama, and drama.

I haven't listened to the questions yet, but I assume someone asked "Is LeBeau coming back?" and then someone asked, "How do you evaluate Haley's job as an OC?". So they're different questions.
    I have listened to the questions, and you nailed it. Nuthin' to see here.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

As far as the offense goes if it was not for all of the injuries completly different story. Hopefully next year we will find out what they can do. If they can stay somewhat intact.

Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    As far as the offense goes if it was not for all of the injuries completly different story. Hopefully next year we will find out what they can do. If they can stay somewhat intact.
    I keep hearing that, but the reality is, we've been having injuries and issues in the offense since we won the SB in 05/06. I ran figures a while back that showed, in comparison to defenses that we played this year, that our offense actually performed EXACTLY as expected throughout the entire year on an overall scale.

Senior Member Array title="GodfatherofSoul is a jewel in the rough"> GodfatherofSoul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I keep hearing that, but the reality is, we've been having injuries and issues in the offense since we won the SB in 05/06. I ran figures a while back that showed, in comparison to defenses that we played this year, that our offense actually performed EXACTLY as expected throughout the entire year on an overall scale.
    What do you mean by "as expected"?