Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obama-The first sitting president to visit a daytime talkshow

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

Re: Obama-The first sitting president to visit a daytime talkshow

Quote Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
    I think he belongs on "Wipeout".
    I was thinking "Jackass"

Senior Member Array title="SteelersinCA is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Notice to everyone!!!!

This is the personal stufff that isnt going to be allowed. Ric, and anyone else, who wants to attack the poster instead of the post is going to get a small vacation.
    So creating a thread about Ric calling him fucking asshole and then theWarden's little diatribe in the Afghanistan now Obamas war thread doesn't warrant a little vacation but saying I thought you could read does? Umm........OK.

Look I certainly appreciate the job you are all doing and I have attempted to refrain from making your job's any more difficult on this board that you worked so tirelessly to create, but this is stretch and I'm just gonna call it how I see it. While I don't often agree with Ric at all politically this seems like a very suspicious banning. He has never resorted to the behavior of calling someone a fucking asshole or creating a thread designed to flame a member, which incidentally had a title insulting said member. You can't tell me they didn't get the message when the threads Revs created were locked down previously, it's not like everyone didn't know about it.

This is a curious case of the rules seemingly not being applied evenhandedly with which I disagree FWIW.

AKA Bullet Tooth Tony Array title="tony hipchest will become famous soon enough">

Quote Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
    What's the definition of "war criminal" know-it-all?

Quote Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post

At some point someone will explain to me why it is that when I criticize the president, I'm expected to move to another country. When others do it, they are patriots. I'd say it seems a tad odd, but by now I'd be shocked if this stopped happening.
    thats a legitimate question. it appears you have an opinion that this war is illegal, and have supported that stance and debated w/o flaming, baiting, or openly mocking people.

it was contended that white phosphorus was legal to use. it was shown to be used illegaly. it was contended that there is no such thing as an "illegal war". that too, was debunked.

it appears you are a victim of not going with the flow.

so if i am to understand correctly saying someone is "grasping at straws" is now a bannable offense?

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
    So creating a thread about Ric calling him fucking asshole and then theWarden's little diatribe in the Afghanistan now Obamas war thread doesn't warrant a little vacation but saying I thought you could read does? Umm........OK.

Look I certainly appreciate the job you are all doing and I have attempted to refrain from making your job's any more difficult on this board that you worked so tirelessly to create, but this is stretch and I'm just gonna call it how I see it. While I don't often agree with Ric at all politically this seems like a very suspicious banning. He has never resorted to the behavior of calling someone a fucking asshole or creating a thread designed to flame a member, which incidentally had a title insulting said member. You can't tell me they didn't get the message when the threads Revs created were locked down previously, it's not like everyone didn't know about it.

This is a curious case of the rules seemingly not being applied evenhandedly with which I disagree FWIW.
    TheWarDen was asked to tone things down after those incidents, which he has done. And as a result, the thread continued along without any further incidents...until now. That is all we have ever asked members to do, and also to use discretion and attack the post rather than the poster.

I support LLT's decision.

MST Junkie Array title="SteelCityMom is on a distinguished road">

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    TheWarDen was asked to tone things down after those incidents, which he has done. And as a result, the thread continued along without any further incidents...until now. That is all we have ever asked members to do, and also to use discretion and attack the post rather than the poster.

I support LLT's decision.
    Seriously? I gotta ask...have you read the whole thread? I like both Ric and Warden, I don't always agree with them both, but the actual debates are interesting. I'm with SICA on this one though. This was kind of a BS banning. Ric is rarely ever outright demeaning to another poster (IMO) and yet was banned the first instance of slipping up in this thread. Warden, who has made VERY nasty remarks towards and about Ric, was even blatantly warned about personal attacks on the first page and then made some more later on in the thread and gets nothing? Just doesn't seem right to me. Again, I like them both...just trying to see it from a neutral aspect. I'd rather see neither of them banned because Warden certainly has toned it down...but if underhanded snide remarks are bannable now, then Warden is certainly not innocent of that in this thread.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
    Seriously? I gotta ask...have you read the whole thread? I like both Ric and Warden, I don't always agree with them both, but the actual debates are interesting. I'm with SICA on this one though. This was kind of a BS banning. Ric is rarely ever outright demeaning to another poster (IMO) and yet was banned the first instance of slipping up in this thread. Warden, who has made VERY nasty remarks towards and about Ric, was even blatantly warned about personal attacks on the first page and then made some more later on in the thread and gets nothing? Just doesn't seem right to me. Again, I like them both...just trying to see it from a neutral aspect. I'd rather see neither of them banned because Warden certainly has toned it down...but if underhanded snide remarks are bannable now, then Warden is certainly not innocent of that in this thread.
    Yes, I have read the entire thread. I had to have read the entire thread considering that I was the one who asked WarDen to tone things down. I'm also not going to argue with members over this decision. I gave my reasoning for supporting it, and that's that.

MST Junkie Array title="SteelCityMom is on a distinguished road">

Yes, I have read the entire thread. I had to have read the entire thread considering that I was the one who asked WarDen to tone things down. I'm also not going to argue with members over this decision, either. I gave my reasoning for supporting it, and that's that.
    Ok...point taken. I'm just really blown away by it is all.

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
    I thought you said you could read. Wars of aggression are illegal as per our own laws - namely the international treaties to which we are signatories. Wars of aggression are non-defensive wars (like both of our current wars against Afghanistan and Iraq) which are not sanctioned by the UN via the Security Council (like both of our current wars against Afghanistan and Iraq). Therefore both of our current wars against Afghanistan and Iraq are illegal wars of aggression. Did you want it in some graphical format, like a flow chart or something?

Presidents proclaiming these wars legal doesn't make them so. Wishing these wars were legal doesn't make them so. Really, really fervently wishing they were legal also doesn't make them legal. And obviously "mocking" people (although I missed the mocking part... your humor is just too subtle for me) that state the obvious about these wars likewise does not make them legal.
    Well, I wanted to ask: "War of aggression against which nation?" Looks like I'll have to wait.
    I read fine by-the-way. In fact, I did read the UN Charter and yes they consider aggression against the charter. However, they also deploy troops to "enforce peace." We were attacked, not by a nation but by a rogue group who we are now truing to eliminate (again, a group, not a nation). We are working WITH the citizens of the nation in which we are fighting.

We have SEVERAL allies along with us and I've not heard a single charge by the UN.

So, since you are the accuser then you should be able to produce facts that support your claim:

1). the nation we are aggressively acting against.
    2). The UN's legal response (surely if what we're doing is illegal then there must be charges, meetings, ultimatums/warnings, etc).

Please, when you get back see if you can't produce the above.

Senior Member Array title="Shea is an unknown quantity at this point"> Shea's Avatar

So the ban is temporary?

And I hope he does come back. Although people might not allows agree with what he has to say, he always made the threads more interesting, and I don't ever recall him being nasty, unlike others.

Unfortunately, you lose members though when things like this happen because they often feel like it isn't worth it anymore.

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

Well, I wanted to ask: "War of aggression against which nation?" Looks like I'll have to wait.
    I read fine by-the-way. In fact, I did read the UN Charter and yes they consider aggression against the charter. However, they also deploy troops to "enforce peace." We were attacked, not by a nation but by a rogue group who we are now truing to eliminate (again, a group, not a nation). We are working WITH the citizens of the nation in which we are fighting.

We have SEVERAL allies along with us and I've not heard a single charge by the UN.

So, since you are the accuser then you should be able to produce facts that support your claim:

1). the nation we are aggressively acting against.
    2). The UN's legal response (surely if what we're doing is illegal then there must be charges, meetings, ultimatums/warnings, etc).

WarDen, I agree with you politically, but is it necessary to continue this debate when Ric isn't even here to defend his views?
    It seems like kicking someone when they're down ...

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
    WarDen, I agree with you politically, but is it necessary to continue this debate when Ric isn't even here to defend his views?
    It seems like kicking someone when they're down ...
    Not kicking him. I'm responding to something he wrote and it will be there when he gets back.

AKA Bullet Tooth Tony Array title="tony hipchest will become famous soon enough">

Not kicking him. I'm responding to something he wrote and it will be there when he gets back.
    aha... kinda like setting a trap with bait.

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shea View Post
    Unfortunately, you lose members though when things like this happen because they often feel like it isn't worth it anymore.
    Unfortunately, we also run the risk of losing good, solid members and potential good members because of juvenile name-calling and personal attacks that are verbotten around these parts.

I think everyone needs to take a gander at the board COC. This isn't SF where our hands are tied - this is SU and the COC wasn't put up as window dressing and will be enforced.

Wallace - I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with Patrick's post. There is no name calling and everyone can plainly see that Ric was given a vacation (7 days for the record) by a Mod for behavior that several of us asked both of them to knock off more than once. One adhered to our request - the other didn't. End of story.

SteelersinCA - might I suggest you review the COC as well? Specifically:

13. Please do not take on the role of an Admin/Mod unless you have been appointed as such. If you have an issue with a member or an Admin or a Mod in general, please address it with them privately via the PM feature instead of taking them to task on the open board. We would appreciate your cooperation in this regard!
    http://www.steeluniverse.net/forums/...o-s-and-Dont-s

And here's a real no-brainer. All of you are very much appreciated around here and as much as it pains me to say it - if you don't like the way this board is run, you are free to go back to SF or find another board. The entire staff is sick to death of all of the B & M'ing, name-calling and unjustified accusations against us. When Gary, Eric and I decided fast and in a hurry to get this board up and running and did so in a very short period of time so that we could all stay together, we shared numerous emails and phone calls with each other to get our ducks in a row so to speak. We agreed on everything, but most definitely on how we wanted to run this board. Our rules here are very lenient compared to other boards and it seems as though we've given an inch or two and a couple of people feel the need to take a yard. Aint gonna happen. Follow the rules or take a hike. It's as simple as that.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wallace - I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with Patrick's post. There is no name calling and everyone can plainly see that Ric was given a vacation (7 days for the record) by a Mod for behavior that several of us asked both of them to knock off more than once. One adhered to our request - the other didn't. End of story.
    actually warden openly said he was mocking ric and personally attacked him for grasping at straws. is this any different that ric saying "i thought you said you could read"?

i dont see the difference. i know you said its the end of the story, but either both adhered to your request or both didnt.

i understand you guys putting the foot down but it really seems as if its the left foot instead of the right in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post

lol

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

actually warden openly said he was mocking ric and personally attacked him for grasping at straws. is this any different that ric saying "i thought you said you could read"?

i dont see the difference. i know you said its the end of the story, but either both adhered to your request or both didnt.

i understand you guys putting the foot down but it really seems as if its the left foot instead of the right in this instance.

lol

Honestly i could care less what side of the aisle you are from. If the admin/mods keep telling you to knock it the fuck off and you test to see if they where bullshitting or not, then you pay with a vacation. NO ONE on the admin/mod side want to ban regulars here, but the line is CLEARLY drawn and yet some keep seeing if that line will move.

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

And here's a real no-brainer. All of you are very much appreciated around here and as much as it pains me to say it - if you don't like the way this board is run, you are free to go back to SF or find another board. The entire staff is sick to death of all of the B & M'ing, name-calling and unjustified accusations against us. When Gary, Eric and I decided fast and in a hurry to get this board up and running and did so in a very short period of time so that we could all stay together, we shared numerous emails and phone calls with each other to get our ducks in a row so to speak. We agreed on everything, but most definitely on how we wanted to run this board. Our rules here are very lenient compared to other boards and it seems as though we've given an inch or two and a couple of people feel the need to take a yard. Aint gonna happen. Follow the rules or take a hike. It's as simple as that.
    Amen.

You know, I tried to be diplomatic earlier about this, but right now, screw that. I am seriously fed up of every time we do something on this board, here come the same people to whine and bitch about it. I agree - if you all hate this board SOOOOO much and think it's SOOOOO "right wing", you may feel free to go to one of the myriad of other boards on the internet - I don't care anymore. We will move on and thrive with or without you. We've put too much time and MONEY into this board to give you a place to go after the shit Matty Boy and Mike the Charlatan pulled on us, and THIS is how we're thanked. You say that you're thankful for this board, that we like it here, that we appreciate it, and blah, blah, blah. Sorry, but you aren't doing a very good job of showing it. Not with the way we are constantly criticized every damn time we have to put the hammer down. Well, I've had enough, and I am not taking it anymore. We WILL NOT allow a select few people to bring this board down.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Please. We have let PLENTY go from the left side of the aisle here.

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersinCA View Post
    and I'm just gonna call it how I see it.
    And I called it as I see it. This incessant whining by a couple of you is getting very old. The lot of you is worse than a daycare of screaming toddlers. We are here to run a Steelers/sports BB as best we can while trying to create an amicable atmosphere to attract new members, as well as for the enjoyment of those who are here to interact in civil discussion with other members. We are NOT here to babysit and supply pacifiers.

I respect the hell out of you, SteelersinCA, but I've really had enough of the bullshit and I know I can speak for the other staff members too.

We have worked too damned hard on this endeavor which was to benefit YOU and the others first and foremost to allow anyone - and I mean ANYONE - to destory it with unjustified accusations and shit-stirring. As I said in my prior post - you and anyone else who can't adhere to the very simple rules we have put in place for the benefit of ALL OF OUR MEMBERS - is free to leave. Very simple concept, really.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

C'Mon now tone. I can't stand him; I think that's known. However, I respect and will even defend his right to speak his opinion. I'm just disturbed by what his opinions are. And yes, he angers me.

lol
    I was told in no uncertain terms to tone it down. I heeded the warning. Again, I have no issues with being called names. I like to dish it out too, but I can take it as well. But, that shit doesn't fly in here I guess. Just the way it is.

In my own defense, I've not made a living creating hate and discontent in these forums either. "Others" seem to do just that.

C'Mon now tone. I can't stand him; I think that's known. However, I respect and will even defend his right to speak his opinion. I'm just disturbed by what his opinions are. And yes, he angers me.
    Yes, but that anger and dislike cannot spill over into your posts. Period. There has been FAR too much of that around here for me to stand. You can still respectfully disagree with someone even if you don't like the person.

Yes, but that anger and dislike cannot spill over into your posts. Period. There has been FAR too much of that around here for me to stand. You can still respectfully disagree with someone even if you don't like the person.
    Sometimes. For the sake of the forum, I'll do my best to follow the rules. If this were in person....well, it'd probably be exciting for us all.

??? Array title="Mattsme is an unknown quantity at this point"> Mattsme's Avatar

I love this board. And I love the people that run it. Even the dudes. In a totally non gay way, of course. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

And Marianne is hot.

So, um...our President was on a daytime talk show. Any thoughts?

I think daytime talk shows suck.
    Last edited by Mattsme; 08-04-2010 at 12:56 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Mattsme View Post

So, um...our President was on a daytime talk show. Any thoughts?
    no.

this topic was pretty much a flaming turd of bait that was better off served up in the "official make fun of/bash obama thread" where it woulda been properly ignored with the rest of the mundane diatribe/rhetoric/propoganda/BS.

??? Array title="Mattsme is an unknown quantity at this point"> Mattsme's Avatar

no.

this topic was pretty much a flaming turd of bait that was better off served up in the "official make fun of/bash obama thread" where it woulda been properly ignored with the rest of the mundane diatribe/rhetoric/propoganda/BS.
    Lol I agree. I was just hoping to turn it into a thread about the glory days of daytime talk, when faking a sick day at school or work meant hours in front of the tube watching Phil Donahue, Oprah, and Geraldo, before he got political.

Senior Member Array title="SteelersinCA is an unknown quantity at this point">

And I called it as I see it. This incessant whining by a couple of you is getting very old. The lot of you is worse than a daycare of screaming toddlers. We are here to run a Steelers/sports BB as best we can while trying to create an amicable atmosphere to attract new members, as well as for the enjoyment of those who are here to interact in civil discussion with other members. We are NOT here to babysit and supply pacifiers.

I respect the hell out of you, SteelersinCA, but I've really had enough of the bullshit and I know I can speak for the other staff members too.

We have worked too damned hard on this endeavor which was to benefit YOU and the others first and foremost to allow anyone - and I mean ANYONE - to destory it with unjustified accusations and shit-stirring. As I said in my prior post - you and anyone else who can't adhere to the very simple rules we have put in place for the benefit of ALL OF OUR MEMBERS - is free to leave. Very simple concept, really.
    I'm incessantly whining? I made one post. I quickly reviewed my other posts (from the entirety of my time here) and I can't say any can be seen as whining, imho. I made no implication in my post about right or left, I just said I didn't see how Ric was banned and Warden was not. I wasn't trying to stir a hornet's nest or flaming or baiting or any of that. I didn't mean to come off as taking LLT to task and I really have no problem with him at all. I don't think I've ever complained about how things were run on here and every time I've been asked to follow the rules I think I've done my best to oblige. I've certainly had my share of pushing the limits at SF but I think I've been a pretty good boy over here.

For the record...I keep up on how many times I have to warn a member about baiting and name calling. Looking at my list I see that I have wayyyyyy more members on the right side of the aisle who have been warned then those on the left. Ric was banned because this was a repeated offense and he showed, through a pm in the first warning, that a warning was not enough.

I never took politics into consideration at all...and since NONE of you know who I warn, what I say in pm's, and the entirety of the situations that I deal with.....then all the "favoritism" nonsense is just "justification" and "enabling" BS.

Check my posts...then come back in here and talk about how much I bash Obama. I dont.....and this line of crap about potitical favoritism is both juvenile and desperate.

The baiting stops. Period. Disagreeing with each other is healthy and its a good intellectual exercise......but baiting another member out of the frustration of not getting your point across is what is causing the bad blood at SF and is causing a division here.

Hell Tony...you and I got into a major disagreement at SF and I still regret to this day some of the things I said. We became part of the problem and made the forum there a negative experience for others. I made a vow to myself at that time that I would give an opinion and share my experiences...but NOT bait and bash others about their political leanings. You are all correct in saying that Politics divide us...but to say that I banned Ric for any other reason than the fact that he was a multible offender is wrong and has no basis in fact whatsoever.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Hey GUys and Gals.

We are two weeks into our National Federal Election. All our major political party candidates live on our morning, daytime and evening talk shows.

with compulsory voting this is the widest and cheapest form of political advertising. They are willing to jump in front of any camera, just to be seen and heard.

The funniest thing about the whole experience this time around is the quality of the EARS on the two major political party candidates.

Liberal Party Candidate - Tony Abbott

Labour Party - Julia Gillard ( Prime Minister)

The country is totally mesmerised by the lugs on each leader.
    As you could imagine - the cartoonists are having a field day. Big Volkswagon ears vs Monster earlobes.

Otherwise this is the most boring election ever. Both party's are scared of screwing up and handing the election to the other side.

We Aussie's just dont seem to have the same passion you yanks have for politics. No of us really give a crap. There are more important things to do. Like drink beer and watch football.

Bring on another Steeler season

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Do no harm - take no shit Array title="Killer is on a distinguished road"> Killer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HTG
    The entire staff is sick to death of all of the B & M'ing, name-calling and unjustified accusations against us.
    HTG is the best mod, ever. I think she's dreamy.

Nobody ever PM's me.

I don't think any of you love me.