Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cage Match: Brown vs. Wallace

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Cage Match: Brown vs. Wallace

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    So can anyone explain why he didn't try to catch Batch's 3rd down pass to keep the drive alive vs. Cleveland?

So his complete failure to fight for a pass is a lack of focus? So why give big money to a player who can't stay focused?
    we paid brown who showed his lack of focus many times on the field this season.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Re: Mike Wallace Route Running

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    If that's the case and Wallace has already admitted to being unfocused, you want the Steelers to do that again? Not sure how much sense that makes.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

First, the Steelers tried to pay Wallace considerably more than Brown. So there goes that point.\

Second Brown had the same number of catches and less than 100 less yards than Wallace did this season in 3 1/2 less games. Clearly he was the Steelers best receiver this season even if he did have some bad moments.

And he had less bad moments than Wallace too.

The only thing Wallace did better than Brown was caught more touchdowns. but give Brown 3 1/2 more games and that gap is probably 8-6 instead of 8-4. and when you consider how many more first downs Brown accounted for than Wallace that more than negates that one stat in wallace's favor.

Dawg your boy is leaving town. Get used to it. .
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Who played his ass off against the Bengals? Really, this is Brown's sophomore year, usually a down year for any NFLer. Can't wait to see him next year. Wallace is in his 4th, usually the time when stars start to separate from the pack.

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Who played his ass off against the Bengals? Really, this is Brown's sophomore year, usually a down year for any NFLer. Can't wait to see him next year. Wallace is in his 4th, usually the time when stars start to separate from the pack.
    I agree with you about Brown. He is the real deal and the best WR on the team.

The guy I can't figure out is Sanders. What is he? A Starter or just a guy? I think he has the talent to be a #1, but he teases us.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post

The guy I can't figure out is Sanders. What is he? A Starter or just a guy? I think he has the talent to be a #1, but he teases us.
    I think the shoulder seperation derailed him this year.

If he could ever stay healthy for a full season I think we'd have something special.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Don't discount the plan to keep his reps down so they don't have to pay him as much. It almost seems like he got less reps after Tomlin named him co-starter with Wallace. Sanders is due for a contract, so he does not have much of an argument right now. I think the Steelers try to grab him for 4-6mil for 3/4 years. Then we shall see his real numbers next year.

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

Don't discount the plan to keep his reps down so they don't have to pay him as much. It almost seems like he got less reps after Tomlin named him co-starter with Wallace. Sanders is due for a contract, so he does not have much of an argument right now. I think the Steelers try to grab him for 4-6mil for 3/4 years. Then we shall see his real numbers next year.
    I don't know if those $$$'s would get him. Depends on who else sees the potential. The Cowboys #3 receiver snagged a 5 year $32 Million dollar contract last year after his first year of real productivity. I think you have the years right, but I bet it will cost anywhere from $10 to $15 million to keep him....maybe more if he hits the open market.

With the salary cap overrage this team needs to clear up, this offseason will be very interesting.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I think the shoulder seperation derailed him this year.

If he could ever stay healthy for a full season I think we'd have something special.
    IF he could stay healthy. but he doesnt. so why so much faith in him...
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    At this point what choice is there? I figure he's going to be here. So might as wll hope for the best. His upside is pretty good in my opinion. Who knows, maybe 2013 is the year?

And really all in all for a 3rd receiver I thought he did an ok job this year.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Wait, we're talking about Sanders, right? He's a RFA this year so we can keep him on the cheap for another season.

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    Wait, we're talking about Sanders, right? He's a RFA this year so we can keep him on the cheap for another season.
    Do you see any way we can keep Lewis and Wallace?

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Do you see any way we can keep Lewis and Wallace?
    Yes. Omar Khan is one of the best numbers guys as far as I'm concerned so financially, I think you could pull it off. Wallace could be had for cheaper this year, at the very least, his market hasn't improved. I think Lewis will command more than some think, but it's still possible and I think he's a guy we definitely want to bring back.

Will we bring both back? That's a different question. But is it possible? Certainly.

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    First, the Steelers tried to pay Wallace considerably more than Brown. So there goes that point.\

Second Brown had the same number of catches and less than 100 less yards than Wallace did this season in 3 1/2 less games. Clearly he was the Steelers best receiver this season even if he did have some bad moments.

And he had less bad moments than Wallace too.

The only thing Wallace did better than Brown was caught more touchdowns. but give Brown 3 1/2 more games and that gap is probably 8-6 instead of 8-4. and when you consider how many more first downs Brown accounted for than Wallace that more than negates that one stat in wallace's favor.

Dawg your boy is leaving town. Get used to it. .
    Yeah. I'm really convinced now more than ever that Brown is the best receiver on the team. He's definitely a "try-hard" guy - I think Sanders might even have more straight up talent than he does, and Wallace absolutely does - but Brown's hard work really shows up on the field.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Did Brown openly admit he can't stay focused for an entire hour, like Wallace? Did Brown deliberately put forth zero effort on a pass, like Wallace?
    Hater = Realist

Probably because of what he showed that first year. He has the talent...the drive...and the character to be something special. This is just my opinion....but I think he is not only our best route runner, but probably our best downfield blocker as a WR.

But you are correct in being a little skeptical due to the injuries.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Probably because of what he showed that first year. He has the talent...the drive...and the character to be something special. This is just my opinion....but I think he is not only our best route runner, but probably our best downfield blocker as a WR.

Absolutely right on both counts.

There is one play we've called a couple times this season where Sanders runs a deep whip route out of the slot and it's a marvelous experience to watch him execute that pattern.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    Ideally, I think the Steelers would like to lock up Sanders for 4-5 years on a bargain contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Did Brown openly admit he can't stay focused for an entire hour, like Wallace? Did Brown deliberately put forth zero effort on a pass, like Wallace?
    He didnt have too he showed it on on national tv.

Why do you have some personal vendetta against Antonio Brown? He produced almost as well as Wallace this year and missed nearly 1/4th of the season. Your unexplained hatred for the guy is getting old. The contract he signed is absolutely market value for a receiver of his production if not a bargain. As Zulater said, they tried to offer Wallace even more than they offered Brown and he turned it down. Interesting that you failed to respond to that post, but precedent shows that's what you do when proven wrong so I don't know why I'm surprised.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

So to sum it up, they offered Wallace more, Brown got paid what he got and neither was worth the offer or the contract in 2012 with the production or lack there of.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

So....the answer is no. He didnt admit it like Wallace did.

Thank you.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    So to sum it up, they offered Wallace more, Brown got paid what he got and neither was worth the offer or the contract in 2012 with the production or lack there of.
    I really don't see how Brown failed to live up to his contract. He played well other than the two costly turnovers, but everyone on the team turned it over too much this year. His production was pretty solid for playing 12 1/2 games.

Wallace had a good year too apart from the drops and fumbles. I don't think anyone is saying he wasn't decent. But to act like he's even marginally better than Brown is a joke and I'm tired of encountering "Brown was overpaid" in every damn thread.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

injury history downplays all of that

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    I really don't see how Brown failed to live up to his contract.
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

injury history downplays all of that
    Well......no.

Thats wrong.

Players who have missed more games the last two years than Sanders due to injury? Peyton Manning, Adrian Peterson, Terrell Suggs, Jamaal Charles.......etc. Injury history is an indication that a player is hurt....period....not an indication that he doesnt have the talent to succeed if healthy.

Based on your logic....Rocky Bleier who couldnt walk without limping when he first showed up for Steelers camp...shouldnt have been given the chance to succeed because of his injuries.

-- Jack Lambert --

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Thank you.
    Exactly.

I find it amusing that Steeldawg is scared to answer about 90% of questions concerning Wallace.
    Hater = Realist

lol
    Profound.

The lack of any actual retort from those who disagree is pretty telling. I've yet to see anyone make a reasonable point that supports the idea he is overpaid.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    Why do you have some personal vendetta against Antonio Brown? He produced almost as well as Wallace this year and missed nearly 1/4th of the season. Your unexplained hatred for the guy is getting old. The contract he signed is absolutely market value for a receiver of his production if not a bargain. As Zulater said, they tried to offer Wallace even more than they offered Brown and he turned it down. Interesting that you failed to respond to that post, but precedent shows that's what you do when proven wrong so I don't know why I'm surprised.
    How am i proven wrong??? your telling me brown was worth his contract this season? I dont hate brown i just think you simply giving him way too much credit for a guy who really has been mediocre at best. Yet you bash a guy who put up the best first 3 years of of any nfl receiver besides rice and moss, and nobody can explain to me how production like that doesnt get you a contract. Now people want wallace out, only to be replacedby brown, a guy who we have no idea that he can be a number 1, a guy we are not even sure can be successful without wallace, and a guy who as shown early signs of injury. Ya they offered wallace more because hes worth more, im not sure how that helps your point. The point was he said why would we pay a guy who doesnt focus, well we paid brown, and he lost focus more than once on the field this season if you want to give him a pass because he didnt say it go ahead, but he doesnt have to say it we all saw it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you.
    Oh i get it brown gets a pass on not focusing because he didnt say it, so its ok to pay a guy who doesnt focus as long as they dont admit it, thanx for clearing that up.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Cage Match: Brown vs. Wallace

^^^ Go! Argue to your hearts content.