Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN commentator Rob Parker questions RG III's blackness.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Re: ESPN commentator Rob Parker questions RG III's blackness.

R.G. II responds to Parker comments on his son.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...1/?sf7864787=1

Robert Griffin II said he isn't taking offense with disparaging racial comments made by an ESPN First Take commentator Thursday, because "it's not going to benefit" anyone.

Griffin II said his next steps were to dismiss Parker's remarks.

"He needs to define what 'one of us' is. That guy needs to define that," he said. "I wouldn't say it's racism. I would just say some people put things out there about people so they can stir things up.

"Robert is in really good shape on who he is, where he needs to get to in order to seek the goals he has in life ... so I don't take offense."

During his weekly news conference Wednesday, Griffin III said he didn't want to be defined by race.

"You want to be defined by your work ethic, the person you are, your character, your personality," he said. "I am an African-American in America. But I don't have to be defined by that."
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

I hate to bring this up, but I'd bet my dog and lot that the senior Mr. Griffin would be singing an entirely different tune if this dude had made comments like that about his son:

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    I hate to bring this up, but I'd bet my dog and lot that the senior Mr. Griffin would be singing an entirely different tune if this dude had made comments like that about his son:

You might be right. But I think he's just trying to take the high road.

"Robert is in really good shape on who he is, where he needs to get to in order to seek the goals he has in life ... so I don't take offense."

Also I think the qualifier attached to this comment is a subtle little barb aimed right at Rob Parker and those in the black community with a similiar mindset towards his son.

ESPN suspends Rob Parker “until further notice”
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...urther-notice/

ESPN has suspended columnist and commentator Rob Parker indefinitely after he said on the air Thursday Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III is “black, but he’s not really,” because Griffin is engaged to a white woman.

“Rob Parker has been suspended until further notice. We are conducting a full review,” ESPN said in a statement.

That further review should include not just Parker, but also everything about the show on which Parker made his comments on Thursday morning, ESPN First Take. It’s telling that when ESPN aired Best of First Take on Thursday afternoon, it included Parker’s comments. That’s because First Take thrives on provoking controversies with its panelists making outrageous claims, and it wasn’t until Parker’s comments were the subject of widespread criticism later in the day that ESPN felt the need to acknowledge the comments were inappropriate.

Just as the producers who decided to include Parker’s comments on the “Best Of” show apparently saw nothing wrong with them, Parker is clearly taken aback by ESPN suspending him: He initially defended his comments and called his critics “uneducated” and “silly” for questioning him. Parker has had nothing to say publicly since ESPN released a statement on Thursday evening that his comments were inappropriate.

On Friday morning’s edition of First Take, Parker’s comments were never mentioned. Although panelists Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith had a shouting match about Griffin, they touched only on whether he would be able to lead the Redskins to victory on Sunday while playing through a knee injury, and made no comment at all about Griffin’s personal life. Parker is probably wishing right now that he had made no comment at all about Griffin’s personal life, either.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Christ. I'm so glad I swore that network off 7 years ago...

Sorry, not good enough. He needs to lose his job over that. If he were white he already would have.

Oh, and where are the Reverend Al and Jesse and all of their bullshit righteous indignation in all of this?
    If ESPN fires Parker they'll probably come out of the woodwork to cry about the injustice of a brother getting fired for "keeping it real".

The worst after effect of all this is that Parker will be viewed more positively by many in the black community than R.G. III. is.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Christ. I'm so glad I swore that network off 7 years ago...
    Rep! Same here!

If he's not fired, there should be an uproar of sorts and petitions outside that shit hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="XxKnightxX has a spectacular aura about"> XxKnightxX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    If ESPN fires Parker they'll probably come out of the woodwork to cry about the injustice of a brother getting fired for "keeping it real".

The worst after effect of all this is that Parker will be viewed more positively by many in the black community than R.G. III. is.
    Lmfao at the first paragraph. I laugh at this. This ignorance. Parker sounds more jealous and self degrading than ever. Way to knock on someone who is defying the stereotype by saying he isn't "black enough" . Just the sound of it is ridiculous. I came from an urban and dangerous neighborhood, yet I have my diploma college education, plenty of professional friends, and proper grammar. Does that make me not ghetto enough?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    Lmfao at the first paragraph. I laugh at this. This ignorance. Parker sounds more jealous and self degrading than ever. Way to knock on someone who is defying the stereotype by saying he isn't "black enough" . Just the sound of it is ridiculous. I came from an urban and dangerous neighborhood, yet I have my diploma college education, plenty of professional friends, and proper grammar. Does that make me not ghetto enough?

in the eyes of Parker .....
    in a word ..... Yep

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post

That depends. Do you have braids?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

RGIII wants to be defined by what he does, not skin color. Didn't Martin Luther King Jr. say something similar?

Senior Member Array title="Kittyfish is a glorious beacon of light"> Kittyfish's Avatar

But the worst thing is RGIII might be a Republican! I can't think of a bigger, more heinous crime than that, can you? Unforgiveable, I tell you. Never mind MLK Jr was a Republican as well... somehow people always seem to forget that.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyfish View Post
    But the worst thing is RGIII might be a Republican! I can't think of a bigger, more heinous crime than that, can you? Unforgiveable, I tell you. Never mind MLK Jr was a Republican as well... somehow people always seem to forget that.

OMG he is a republican ????

no wonder he is getting things accomplished in Washington LOL

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Baron Batch ‏@baron_batch

Anyone see what Rob Parker said on ESPN first take? What an idiot. Dude should be ashamed. Freakin clown
    Pretty much sums it up.

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

What i finfd funny is its Rob Parker!!! Its not like some hardcore rapper called him out, its an educated journalist, what in the world was he talking about.

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

[B][U][I][I]"You want to be defined by your work ethic, the person you are, your character, your personality," he said.
    this man young man has a really good head on those shoulders! i just wish more folks felt this way no matter what race they are

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Parker sounds as if he's defending a cult. Amazing the ignorance of an *educated* man. I wonder how he views the Blacks outside the U.S.? Of course he probably doesn't know there are Blacks living outside his world. What a cadaver!

Arian Foster in response to Rob Parker: ‘I’m going to work on my blackness today’

http://larrybrownsports.com/football...84#more-166084

Well played Arain!

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

NO MATTER WHAT you do, SOMEBODY will have SOMETHING negative to say about it ! I guess _od created haters for SOME reason; why ? I haven't figured it out yet !

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Arian Foster in response to Rob Parker: ‘I’m going to work on my blackness today’

http://larrybrownsports.com/football...84#more-166084

Well played Arain!
    LMAO!!!!
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerEmpire View Post
    NO MATTER WHAT you do, SOMEBODY will have SOMETHING negative to say about it ! I guess _od created haters for SOME reason; why ? I haven't figured it out yet !
    Kind of like the NBA. Everyone dogged Kobe (and rightfully so) for running off Shaq and Phil. But then LBJ joins a couple of other big names in Miami--in other words, sharing the spotlight and the ball--and he got dogged for "ganging up" on the league.

For starters, consider that ESPN identifies Parker as a “journalist.” As if.

The tempest over Parker’s comments, directed at Parker, are badly aimed. Parker was just meeting — and exceeding — the terms of his engagement. He was hired to be an outspoken black man — no credibility required.

Given Parker’s track record, there was no other reason to have hired him. And to that end, he was a perfect fit.

The extended story on Parker shows he is a self-exposed, nomadic (failed) print and broadcast sports journalist whose primary stock-in-trade is his transparent, often race-based pot-shotting. Thus, it stands to reason ESPN would be foolish enough to provide him with a regular forum.

ESPN has characterized Parker’s wild-headed, bigoted spew about Griffin as “inappropriate” — another example of ESPN ignoring context. In Parker’s case, it’s highly appropriate, given that he specializes in such worthless, senseless, obligatory bomb-throwing.

Besides, it’s not as if Parker committed the unpardonable ESPN sin of innocently using the phrase “chink in the armor” in a report referencing Jeremy Lin.

Parker has demonstrated comical genius in getting things dead wrong. In 2008 he was suspended by the Detroit News after he reported — on a TV station, no less — that Michigan State QB Kirk Cousins, now Griffin’s backup, was involved in a brawl. At the time of that brawl, Cousins was with his family — in church!

Parker claimed three anonymous sources — two would have done it — for his bogus info.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...wsYGJRlXg0TYRJ

Pretty good commentary on the Rob Parker situation.

Dwinsgames

I wonder if Mike Wallace is " Black enough " for Mr Parker , sure he is plenty fast but certainly does not look very athletic

Rob Parker apologizes for calling Robert Griffin III a ‘cornball brother’ on ESPN’s ‘First Take’

In his first public statement since questioning the Washington Redskins quarterback's blackness on ESPN's "First Take" last Thursday, Parker tweeted a mea culpa for failing to "understand how the issue of race in sports is a sensitive one and needs to be handled with great care."

"The failure was in how I chose to discuss it on First Take, and in doing so, turned a productive conversation into a negative one. I regrettably introduced some points that I never should have and I completely understand the strong response to them.
    "I blew it and I'm sincerely sorry."

"The attention my words have brought to one of the best and brightest stars in all of sports is an unintended and troubling result. Robert Griffin III is a talented athlete who not only can do great things on the field, but off the field handles himself in a way we are all taught - with dignity, respect and pride."

Whether it's a genuine change of heart or a result of the backlash he's facing, Parker wants to make amends with Griffin by apologizing to the man in person."I've contacted his agent," Parker said.

He also promised to "consider how I can continue to tackle difficult, important topics in a much more thoughtful manner."
    Just when ESPN allows Parker back on the air to do just that remains to be seen.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2FYnul7Pb

Rob Parker apologizes for calling Robert Griffin III a ‘cornball brother’ on ESPN’s ‘First Take’

In his first public statement since questioning the Washington Redskins quarterback's blackness on ESPN's "First Take" last Thursday, Parker tweeted a mea culpa for failing to "understand how the issue of race in sports is a sensitive one and needs to be handled with great care."

"The failure was in how I chose to discuss it on First Take, and in doing so, turned a productive conversation into a negative one. I regrettably introduced some points that I never should have and I completely understand the strong response to them.
    "I blew it and I'm sincerely sorry."

"The attention my words have brought to one of the best and brightest stars in all of sports is an unintended and troubling result. Robert Griffin III is a talented athlete who not only can do great things on the field, but off the field handles himself in a way we are all taught - with dignity, respect and pride."

Whether it's a genuine change of heart or a result of the backlash he's facing, Parker wants to make amends with Griffin by apologizing to the man in person."I've contacted his agent," Parker said.

He also promised to "consider how I can continue to tackle difficult, important topics in a much more thoughtful manner."
    Just when ESPN allows Parker back on the air to do just that remains to be seen.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz2FYnul7Pb
    BS Parker. How in the hell could he not know how troubling those words would be? ...journalist my ass...

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Apparently it's not just Parker check out Jamie Foxx's comments about being forced to be white all day and then getting to be black when he's home with his boys
    http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/12/jamie-foxx-racism-vibe-interview-racial-difference-black-white-people

I obviously grew up too country , too white to understand, but isn't the plea to ignore skin color. I guess you can only be racist if your white and conservative, middle class male. The more interesting point might be all these guys are rich and can have what they want when they want it and it's still not ehough
    Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    Apparently it's not just Parker check out Jamie Foxx's comments about being forced to be white all day and then getting to be black when he's home with his boys
    http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/12/jamie-foxx-racism-vibe-interview-racial-difference-black-white-people

I obviously grew up too country , too white to understand, but isn't the plea to ignore skin color. I guess you can only be racist if your white and conservative, middle class male. The more interesting point might be all these guys are rich and can have what they want when they want it and it's still not ehough
    Sickening

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

I made a comment on the "other" forum that didn't go over well. I suspected that it wouldn't, but that Jamie Foxx shit is exactly what I was getting at.

I don't hate anyone and I'm definitely NOT a racist.... I just see what I see.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/...cial-politics/Pretty good column from Juan Williams
    Merry Christmas

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Very good read.