Thread: "Lateral" turnover for a SD TD

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

"Lateral" turnover for a SD TD

I just saw the "highlight" of this play for the first time. How the f#@k could they possibly review that play and still call it a lateral and a TD??? I swear that all of these officials and replay people are just incompetent.

And, WTF is Brown doing trying to pick up that ball instead of just diving on it or knocking it out of bounds??? I swear that our players have no football sense.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Re: "Lateral" turnover for a SD TD

You think our guys would have learned by now. If there is a loose ball, jump on it. You never know how the officials are going to call the play. That is one thing I remember from high school football. Whistle or no whistle, cover an open football, you never know what the call will be.

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    You think our guys would have learned by now. If there is a loose ball, jump on it. You never know how the officials are going to call the play. That is one thing I remember from high school football. Whistle or no whistle, cover an open football, you never know what the call will be.
    I do not get the lack of concentration in all phase of the game today

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

wallace and brown were both damn jokes today. They both cost us 2 touchdown-swings, brown with his stupidity on that screen pass and wallace on that blonde-bomber drop. A little off target but right in and out of the palms. And no, neither of them redeemed themselves with their garbage time touchdowns.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Junior Member Array title="FAB802 is an unknown quantity at this point"> FAB802's Avatar

It happens at least once a year, at a horrible time, in a game they have to win. I don't understand how professional football players can be so nonchalant about the ball being loose on the field.

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I just saw the "highlight" of this play for the first time. How the f#@k could they possibly review that play and still call it a lateral and a TD??? I swear that all of these officials and replay people are just incompetent.

And, WTF is Brown doing trying to pick up that ball instead of just diving on it or knocking it out of bounds??? I swear that our players have no football sense.
    Tomlin would bench a guy like Mendenhall for something like that. Brown played that like a scared Pee Wee player about to get pounced on by the other team.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Honestly, the replay didn't look like it proved anything one way or the other. He let go of the ball at about the 4, and it hit Paulson in the ass at about the 4. It was too close to call, so they went with the ruling on the field.

Our players all ought to know that if there's any doubt whether it's a turnover, the refs tend to err on the side of assuming it's a turnover and sorting it out later if need be. Ever since the Ed Hochuli screwup in the Denver game a couple years ago, they won't blow the whistle on anything that's 50-50 or even 80-20. Today was a perfect example of the need to assume the worst and play all the way through the end of the play, because regardless of how the call goes, you can still put yourself at a tremendous advantage or disadvantage with what you do between the (non-)turnover and the whistle. Because if they can't figure it out, which happens A LOT, you're stuck with the result.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

IMO, Brown was trying to do too much. I think he was trying to be Superman and trying to get the ball out of the endzone (No, I'm not bashing Antonio either).

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    IMO, Brown was trying to do too much. I think he was trying to be Superman and trying to get the ball out of the endzone (No, I'm not bashing Antonio either).
    You think he was trying to pick it up and chuck it downfield for an incompletion? That would have been a smart move--worst that can happen is intentional grounding/safety which you were going to get anyway. If that's his thought process I can understand.

But he probably should have been more aware of all the Chargers in the area and just covered it.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

well you should. that was the most laughable field awareness all year. Other than Denarius Moore making a falling catch and trying to run it back the wrong way
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    You think he was trying to pick it up and chuck it downfield for an incompletion? That would have been a smart move--worst that can happen is intentional grounding/safety which you were going to get anyway. If that's his thought process I can understand.

But he probably should have been more aware of all the Chargers in the area and just covered it.
    Yeah, cause that's exactly what I was saying. I guess no one would have thought he would have picked it up and ran out of the endzone.

Member Array title="DarthSpartans20 is an unknown quantity at this point">

Lateral or no lateral, Paulson got blown up on the play. He does his job this is a non-issue and Ben and Co. are still driving.

Yeah, cause that's exactly what I was saying. I guess no one would have thought he would have picked it up and ran out of the endzone.
    Not sure he would have had a chance to make it out of the end zone. He was pretty far back and there were a lot of Chargers in the area.

Not sure he would have had a chance to make it out of the end zone. He was pretty far back and there were a lot of Chargers in the area.
    That's what I'm trying to say. That he was doing trying to do to much even though he should have just covered the ball.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

The Steelers fail to do things like hold on to the football and dive for loose balls, but they do remember to celebrate routine plays. Poor coaching? Tomlin needs to put an end to the showboating once and for all.
    Hater = Realist

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The Golden Child should have fallen on the ball...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The Golden Child should have fallen on the ball...
    The ref should have called it right and he wouldn't have had to.

It really didn't help that an official's call went against the Steelers in the third quarter. Roethlisberger's quick pass to Brown on the right sideline hit Steelers tight end David Paulson in the back and was ruled a lateral. Chargers cornerback Quentin Jammer recovered in the end zone for a touchdown that gave San Diego a 27-3 lead. "I didn't think it was even close to being a lateral," Roethlisberger said. "We run that play every day in practice and never have an issue. But I guess that's why I'm not an official."
    Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2EeHcPeIs
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Junior Member Array title="Carl1970 is an unknown quantity at this point">

If Haley (and ultimately) Tomlin, would have realized the risks of that play were greater than the rewards, they would have called something more "safe"

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    The ref should have called it right and he wouldn't have had to.
    DA CHARGERS PAYED DA REFS!

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

DA CHARGERS PAYED DA REFS!

Didn't say that, or imply it. But quite frankly the refs are awful. Go back a few games and I wasn't shy about saying that the refs all but handed the Steelers the game against the Chiefs. And I'm not even claiming the refs cost us this game. But I absolutely will state that was a foward pass, not a fumble. That was clearly evident on the replay. Clearly that ball had a foward projectory when it hit Paulson's back. A foot might not be a lot, but I'd easily estimate that it was quite evident on the replay that the ball went at least a foot foward from where Ben threw the ball to where it hit's 81's backside.

And seeing as this thread is about that particularly play, my comenting on it is in no way an excuse or finger pointing towards the refs.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Refs were terrible. Have been all season. Zu is right. It was clearly forward and ahould have been overturned. in most of these cases, it's the replay officials that are really blowing these calls and they haven't changed all season...

Ben, Paulson, Brown, Refs...they all fucked up that play...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Didn't say that, or imply it. But quite frankly the refs are awful. Go back a few games and I wasn't shy about saying that the refs all but handed the Steelers the game against the Chiefs. And I'm not even claiming the refs cost us this game. But I absolutely will state that was a foward pass, not a fumble. That was clearly evident on the replay. Clearly that ball had a foward projectory when it hit Paulson's back. A foot might not be a lot, but I'd easily estimate that it was quite evident on the replay that the ball went at least a foot foward from where Ben threw the ball to where it hit's 81's backside.

And seeing as this thread is about that particularly play, my comenting on it is in no way an excuse or finger pointing towards the refs.
    While I agree that officiating sucks that particular play wasn't as obvious as the non-pass interference call that should have gone against the chargers. Not saying that would have made a difference with the way our O was playing but you never know. I also understand that calls are missed it's just part of the game and good teams overcome bad calls. Call or no call the loss can for this one can be put squarely on the Steelers shoulders!!!

On a side note I can not figure this team out. If it's not the D, it's the O or Special teams. Rarely do we play a whole game were everyone is on the same page. From WR's dropping passes or fumbling to a D that can't stop a single 3rd down play or Special teams making a bad punt or not covering and the other team gets the big momentum changer. Sad thing is at this point I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel and I'm afraid that when I do it will be that oncoming train ready to run me over. I can only hope someone ANYONE figures it out soon and we get back to winning football.