Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Here, have another Wallace thread... this time he admits to lacking concentration...

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Re: Here, have another Wallace thread... this time he admits to lacking concentration

I
    Quote Originally Posted by BlountForceTrauma View Post
    I'm a big time Wallace basher I will readily admit. But it doesn't have anything to do with the contract stuff. I strictly feel like it's all about what he does on the field. He is the most targeted receiver on the team. Yet he has the most drops on the team. He can't run a route. His hands are apparently allergic to the football. He doesn't turn defender on badly thrown balls. He doesn't catch it at its highest point. Most of his big time supporters point to times past to try and get people to cut him some slack. But the fact of the NFL is that it's a what have you done for me lately league and Wallace has CERTAINLY not done anything for us lately. Yes he took one to the house against the gnats but that was a rarity. How many other balls has he caught in the middle of the field and then basically laid down to avoid contact? Also I know he had a good game against SD but I don't think they were playing him as hard because I honestly feel like they felt like they had our number. Wallace fumbles approx. 1 our of every 44 times he touches the football. That's not good. I just don't feel that he is a complete enough player to warrant a pay day like what he is asking. Honestly I don't even think he is worth what AB is getting. AB helps in other phases of the game besides just deep routes. We know Wallace can't maintain his kind of speed forever. So once that's gone what will his value be?

- - - Updated - - -

One reason I was actually GLAD he DIDN'T kick it out of bounds is because did we REALLY wanna give them 2 points PLUS another possession to march it down the field on Victorian, Allen, and Brown? I suppose that's one way of thinking about it. Or maybe AB realized what the rest of us realized which is that it was actually a bad call. Although if you don't hear the whistle you need to keep playing.
    How can you make a what have you done for me lately arguement, when wallace is the top wideout on the team, last game he had 112 7 cayches 2 tds and brown dropped 2 didnt get his feet in bounds didnt play to the whistle. If your going to talk about what have you done for me lately then you should be looking at antonio brown who by the way is the one whos getting paid.

Dwinsgames

Re: Here, have another Wallace thread... this time he admits to lacking concentration

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    I

antonio brown who by the way is the one whos getting paid.

so Wallace is doing it for free ??? gee I did not realize that ...

if you want to complain about Browns contract blame Wallace he got offered the money first and turned it down ...

but hey never let the facts get in the way of you're argument

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

also i didnt say it wasnt his job to fight for the ball i sais when hes got the defender beat by ten yards why should he have to. Fundamentals are only important to a degree, but again talent trumps fundamentals. Also your completely ignoring the different ways wallace has caught tds this seaon, his game is very diverse. your whole arguement is just plug in a fast guy and you will get the same production, thats is like telling the lions just get rid of johnson you can get a big guy much cheaper. I dont need to argue with you the stats tell the story. You can talk about the ball he didnt catch but that was a very tough play, i notice you didnt mention 2 balls dropped by brown 1 he didnt get is feet in and miller dropped a td cotchery also with a drop. Somehow wallace gets the venom because he didnt make a great catch and the 7 catches 112yds and 2 tds he caught are somehow the stat line of the guy who doesnt try!
    Then why are you completely incapable of listing what Wallace brings besides his 40 time?

when hes got the defender beat by ten yards why should he have to
    Because that's his job. He being paid to catch the ball. Why would you want a WR who doesn't fight for every pass?

Somehow wallace gets the venom because he didnt make a great catch
    He should make that catch 9 out of 10 times. It wasn't difficult. The ball hit him in both hands.

7 catches 112yds and 2 tds he caught are somehow the stat line of the guy who doesnt try
    Your excuse is garbage time stats. Just amazing. If he didn't get those garbage time stats you would drum up another excuse to give him $10,000,000 a season.

i notice you didnt mention 2 balls dropped by brown
    Because we are talking about Wallace. Do you think I am like you where I dismiss certain players from their errors? Brown sucked. He should have easily caught those passes. He should feel like crap all weak for his poor performance. If he keeps playing like that then he should be let go.

there have been alott of guys who have had over 100 targets. doesnt try
    So it's ok if he doesn't try because other WRs have done the same? Would Wallace's stats be the same if his targets were reduced?

Why do you want to give big money to a WR who deliberately doesn't try? <--- You failed to answer
    Hater = Realist

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    we were 2-6 when ike was benched with a near impossible chance of making the playoffs. Were 7-6 and in a situation where we HAVE TO win at least 2 games out of 3 including the bengals, all games that will be insanely tough to win even if we were 100% healthy. Now is not the time to send players to the naughty corner. This is the absolute wrong time for petulance. The situations are extraordinarily different.

You fail to acknowledge how brown is doing as of late and wallace as of late. Why arent you talking about how brown has been doing lately? Isnt there so much to talk about in that area? You also fail to acknowledge the great increase in the number of deep passes Ben is attempting, NOT just to wallace. Thats where wallace is at his best. Brown isnt playing healthy, and if you take that into account along with wiping out our best deep threat? Well, it aint gonna be pretty because you seem to take the cowboys, bengals, and browns extremely lightly if you think victory is attainable by taking more players out.

You're right. high school football has nothing to do with any of this. That's why i said this isnt high school. Theres more disparity in talent in the nfl between the starters and backups. Were gonna need to be armed to the teeth to even have a chance at beating these teams.
    My point is that it happens and Ike was better for it. I'm sure there's an article you can read about how it made him feel.

I'm not attacking Brown because he was injured and his performance has not been as lacking as that of Wallace. Again, you'll find plenty of articles about Wallace underacheiving this year. Not so much for Brown.

Deep threat? Can he get deep? Sure! Can he catch the pass if Ben gets it to him? Not so much in 2012. Also, if Ben under throws him, is he going to fight to break it up? Not from what I've seen. So, his value as a deep threat recently has dropped some. I'm well aware of the must win situation the Steelers are in. You are assuming Wallace is going to show up in all three games and turn it around suddenly and maby that will be the case, but Tomlin's already acknowledged that he doesn't deserve to be the #1 starter due to his performance. Well, in light of his most recent "loss of focus" I'm expanding on that. I'm not saying to sit him for the whole game. I'm saying sit him for a qtr or a half. He's admitted to losing focus. Have you ever been a leader? I have. Maybe not a football coach, but there again, this has been affective for coaches and players in the NFL.

Dwinsgames

When asked about his lesser-talented doppleganger, Mike Wallace, Swann wasn't short on (fair) criticism. Speaking in reference to a pass from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger that slipped through his hands, creating a chorus of boos that could have been heard outside the stadium, Swann, who was in attendance for the Steelers' recent 34-24 loss to San Diego, said, "It's a tough catch, I think fans who may have booed are probably thinking 'boy, he's done this a lot this year.' No receiver likes to drop the ball, he has some capability and talent, but my general opinion, if you think you're good enough to hold out, that is a catch he needs to make. If he wants to make the kind of money the big time NFL receivers make, he needs to make that play."
    Lynn Swann

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Its the Kordell era all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    When asked about his lesser-talented doppleganger, Mike Wallace, Swann wasn't short on (fair) criticism. Speaking in reference to a pass from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger that slipped through his hands, creating a chorus of boos that could have been heard outside the stadium, Swann, who was in attendance for the Steelers' recent 34-24 loss to San Diego, said, "It's a tough catch, I think fans who may have booed are probably thinking 'boy, he's done this a lot this year.' No receiver likes to drop the ball, he has some capability and talent, but my general opinion, if you think you're good enough to hold out, that is a catch he needs to make. If he wants to make the kind of money the big time NFL receivers make, he needs to make that play."
    Lynn Swann
    That's ok because he caught some passes in garbage time.
    Hater = Realist

Junior Member Array title="BlountForceTrauma is an unknown quantity at this point">

I

How can you make a what have you done for me lately arguement, when wallace is the top wideout on the team, last game he had 112 7 cayches 2 tds and brown dropped 2 didnt get his feet in bounds didnt play to the whistle. If your going to talk about what have you done for me lately then you should be looking at antonio brown who by the way is the one whos getting paid.
    I understand that. But here's how I make an argument for what have you done for me lately. AB got his pay day immediately AFTER a season of 1,000 yds receiving AND 1,000 yds returning. Wallace had a good FIRST half of the season but then faded. THIS year Wallace is the most targeted WR on the team. He also has the most drops. The game he had against SD was a lot of garbage yards, catches, AND td's. AB had a garbage TD also. That game was never close. Mike Tomlin even said after the game we never "proved that we could stop them". I'm not saying that I'm not glad Wallace caught those td's and maybe it will help his confidence going forward. I'm just saying that the Rooney's will have a lot to discuss with him when it comes to him wanting to hold up the team for money. Yes AB has had some issues this year too. The fumble in Oakland comes to mind. But the feeling I, and I think most people get, from AB is that he's giving you his all on every play. He also got booed this weekend if you remember. I think another reason people get so mad at Wallace is we feel he sort of insults us by asking for so much money when we can clearly see with our own eyes that he's not worth it. AB took what was offered him. If you can't live comfortably for the rest of your life on $50 million you have problems FAR beyond not being able to catch good.

Quote Originally Posted by BlountForceTrauma View Post
    I understand that. But here's how I make an argument for what have you done for me lately. AB got his pay day immediately AFTER a season of 1,000 yds receiving AND 1,000 yds returning. Wallace had a good FIRST half of the season but then faded. THIS year Wallace is the most targeted WR on the team. He also has the most drops. The game he had against SD was a lot of garbage yards, catches, AND td's. AB had a garbage TD also. That game was never close. Mike Tomlin even said after the game we never "proved that we could stop them". I'm not saying that I'm not glad Wallace caught those td's and maybe it will help his confidence going forward. I'm just saying that the Rooney's will have a lot to discuss with him when it comes to him wanting to hold up the team for money. Yes AB has had some issues this year too. The fumble in Oakland comes to mind. But the feeling I, and I think most people get, from AB is that he's giving you his all on every play. He also got booed this weekend if you remember. I think another reason people get so mad at Wallace is we feel he sort of insults us by asking for so much money when we can clearly see with our own eyes that he's not worth it. AB took what was offered him. If you can't live comfortably for the rest of your life on $50 million you have problems FAR beyond not being able to catch good.
    well wallace had 3 good years and working on a fourth, and if he is the most targeted receiver chances are he will have the most drops i think that only makes sense. Why should him asking for a contract in line with other receivers hes put up better numbers than be insulting to the steelers. Wallace has 6 drops its not even near tops in the league and if you look at the guys at the top of the drops list its guys who are targeted alot . Im sorry i dont look at the guy whos the teams leading receiver, the guy who has played in every game and think hes not trying. the game was not over in that game when wallace caught those tds, you can say its garbage if you want but one of the tds was caught in the 3rd quarter, and the last one was caught in between 2 defenders in the endzone a very good catch. I dont care if people think ab is giving his all, this is pro football you get paid to produce not just try hard. Compare wallaces first 3 seasons against the first three seasons of any nfl receiver, you will only find 2 that outperformed him and thats jerry rice and randy moss, thats 3 years of work right there and in a year that people are calling a down year 59 728 8 tds with 3 games to go. This guy is a weapon hes very important to our offense more important than antonio brown and when its time to put the ball in the endzone big ben is going wallace or miller.

Everyone keeps saying hes got to make that catch if he wants big money, but he has made that catch many times he just didnt make that one.

Dwinsgames

Wallace has 6 drops its not even near tops in the league

here we go with these phantom stats again ...

I have not checked this stat but EVERY stat you post that I have checked (and there have been many ) are all wrong every last one of them ... ( and I know damn well he has 20 drops if he has 1 this year or he is paying the official statistician to pad his numbers )

please refrain from posting stats unless you can post them correctly

here we go with these phantom stats again ...

I have not checked this stat but EVERY stat you post that I have checked (and there have been many ) are all wrong every last one of them ... ( and I know damn well he has 20 drops if he has 1 this year or he is paying the official statistician to pad his numbers )

please refrain from posting stats unless you can post them correctly
    http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/l...iving&rank=232

Obviously they define drops differently than the average fan does. He had 4 drops against the Bengals alone.

Dwinsgames

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/l...iving&rank=232

Obviously they define drops differently than the average fan does. He had 4 drops against the Bengals alone.

laughable , what is the criteria for them to consider it a drop ?

My criteria is this ... if the ball hits the hands you dam well ought to catch it and if you do not it is a drop ... Wallace has a BUNCH of them , he had 3 in a couple games 4 in another already he is over their mark ....

My criteria is this ... if the ball hits the hands you dam well ought to catch it and if you do not it is a drop ... Wallace has a BUNCH of them , he had 3 in a couple games 4 in another already he is over their mark ....
    well regardless of your criteria that stat is still the stat.

Basically, the NFL's criteria for dropping a pass is to be all alone and standing still. Steeldawg knows Wallace has far more drops than 6. Owens would drop about 20 or more passes a year, but he stat line would say about 6 drops for the season.

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone keeps saying hes got to make that catch if he wants big money, but he has made that catch many times he just didnt make that one.
    It's called consistency. This is his contract year and he blatantly doesn't try on some passes. How do you think he is going to do if given big money?

Each time you come up with an excuse to protect Wallace it gets shot down by facts.

Why do you want to pay $10,000,000 to a WR who doesn't try?
    Hater = Realist