Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Report: Hornets becoming Pelicans

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    7,587

    Report: Hornets becoming Pelicans

    The New Orleans Hornets are expected to become the New Orleans Pelicans, perhaps as early as the 2013-14 season, according to a Yahoo! Sports report.

    Yahoo! Sports, citing numerous sources, reports the team also considered Krewe and Brass as potential nicknames.

    The Hornets have planned to change their name since New Orleans Saints owner Tom Benson, who also owns the rights to the Pelicans nickname, bought the team in April.

    more: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/87...cording-report


    I'm not really a fan of basketball, but come on... the Pelicans??

  2. #2
    1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Gender
    Posts
    18,009

    Re: Report: Hornets becoming Pelicans

    Yeah, pretty bad. That's the best he can do for New Orleans?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    7,587

    Re: Report: Hornets becoming Pelicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Yeah, pretty bad. That's the best he can do for New Orleans?
    Sounds like a minor league team name.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Array title="Godfather has much to be proud of">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Posts
    3,367

    Re: Report: Hornets becoming Pelicans

    Quote Originally Posted by NEPAsteeler View Post
    Sounds like a minor league team name.
    It is.

    The New Orleans Pelicans were a longtime minor league baseball team, so the name has a history in the city. They were once a Pirates affiliate, and Dale Long is among the more notable alumni. The stadium was located at the corner of Tulane & Carrollton where the Rock & Bowl now stands. The team moved away in the late 1950s. A second incarnation played in 1977 as the Cardinals' AAA club, with the Superdome as the home stadium.

    Saints owner Tom Benson bought the trademark, and he was one of multiple people trying to bring minor league baseball back to New Orleans. When the Rockies pushed the Zephyrs out of Denver, they landed in New Orleans, but Benson didn't get the team so the Zephyrs name stayed.

    "Brass" was an ECHL hockey team owned by the now-infamous Ray Nagin. They disbanded after losing the New Orleans Arena to the Hornets. Nagin took over as mayor and had to complete that process.

    Another possibility is a three-way trade that would result in the Jazz and Hornets names being returned to their rightful cities and Utah becoming the Bobcats. They were talking about it on WWL this morning.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    7,587

    Re: Report: Hornets becoming Pelicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    It is.

    The New Orleans Pelicans were a longtime minor league baseball team, so the name has a history in the city. They were once a Pirates affiliate, and Dale Long is among the more notable alumni. The stadium was located at the corner of Tulane & Carrollton where the Rock & Bowl now stands. The team moved away in the late 1950s. A second incarnation played in 1977 as the Cardinals' AAA club, with the Superdome as the home stadium.

    Saints owner Tom Benson bought the trademark, and he was one of multiple people trying to bring minor league baseball back to New Orleans. When the Rockies pushed the Zephyrs out of Denver, they landed in New Orleans, but Benson didn't get the team so the Zephyrs name stayed.

    "Brass" was an ECHL hockey team owned by the now-infamous Ray Nagin. They disbanded after losing the New Orleans Arena to the Hornets. Nagin took over as mayor and had to complete that process.

    Another possibility is a three-way trade that would result in the Jazz and Hornets names being returned to their rightful cities and Utah becoming the Bobcats. They were talking about it on WWL this morning.
    Thanks for the insight!

  6. #6
    Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a brilliant future">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Steelers Nation
    Posts
    2,375

    Re: Report: Hornets becoming Pelicans

    Wow. got to be able to do better than that.

    New Orleans Levies (too soon?)

    New Orleans Nutria (Swamp Rats - they are apparently delish)

    Seriously, Pelican just doesn't work for me. Got to be something better.

    How about the Saints. Oh wait.

    New Orleans Devil Babies (Look it up)

  7. #7
    Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Connellsville, PA
    Gender
    Posts
    3,616

    Re: Report: Hornets becoming Pelicans

    Maybe we can take the Hornets name and use it for a pro basketball team in Pittsburgh, they could play at the Console Energy Center since it isn't being used by any professional sports team.

  8. #8
    K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Queen City, NC
    Gender
    Posts
    4,216

    Re: Report: Hornets becoming Pelicans

    Quote Originally Posted by vader29 View Post
    Maybe we can take the Hornets name and use it for a pro basketball team in Pittsburgh, they could play at the Console Energy Center since it isn't being used by any professional sports team.
    Nope. Not a chance. That Hornets name is coming back home, and I can't wait.

    Unless Michael Jordan wants to get ran out of town that is...

    The Charlotte Hornets are only a few years from being back. Thank goodness. I love you Tom Benson.

  9. #9
    Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Treasure Coast
    Posts
    11,172

    Re: Report: Hornets becoming Pelicans

    Storks would have been more appropriate for a basketball team. Pelicans sounds like a girls high school softball team.
    All Defense!

  10. #10
    Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a brilliant future">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Steelers Nation
    Posts
    2,375

    Re: Report: Hornets becoming Pelicans

    Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Storks would have been more appropriate for a basketball team. Pelicans sounds like a girls high school softball team.

    In more ways than one given the rep many NBA players for leaving their seed in multiple zip codes.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Array title="KeiselPower99 is on a distinguished road"> KeiselPower99's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Parkersburg WV
    Gender
    Posts
    767

    Re: Report: Hornets becoming Pelicans

    Does this mean the T Wolves will be the Lakers too? What about the Seattle SuperSonics?

  12. #12

    Re: Report: Hornets becoming Pelicans

    Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Storks would have been more appropriate for a basketball team. Pelicans sounds like a girls high school softball team.
    LOL!!!
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

    -- Jack Lambert --

  13. #13
    Senior Member Array title="Godfather has much to be proud of">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Posts
    3,367

    Re: Report: Hornets becoming Pelicans

    Quote Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
    What about the Seattle SuperSonics?
    They got the Cleveland deal.

    The Sonics would had to stay in Key Arena at least another 1-2 years before moving. They didn't want to be lame ducks, so Seattle agreed to let them out of the lease if they left all the name/history/colors/trademarks behind for the next team. The Sonics/Thunder owners accepted rather than go through a protracted legal struggle and a lame-duck season in Seatlle.

  14. #14
    K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Queen City, NC
    Gender
    Posts
    4,216

    Re: Report: Hornets becoming Pelicans

    It is done. The Hornets name is now available.

    Okay MJ... Get to it... Or else.

  15. #15
    Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    17,206

    Re: Report: Hornets becoming Pelicans

    Yeah, this conjures up fast break images for me.





  16. #16
    Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    7,587

    Re: Report: Hornets becoming Pelicans


  17. #17
    Senior Member Array title="Godfather has much to be proud of">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Posts
    3,367

    Re: Report: Hornets becoming Pelicans

    I like the new logo. Looks sharp.

    I haven't even looked at the NBA standings in years, but I might buy some gear.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    7,587

    Re: Report: Hornets becoming Pelicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    I like the new logo. Looks sharp.

    I haven't even looked at the NBA standings in years, but I might buy some gear.
    I was thinking the same thing. As strange as the name Pelicans sounds to me (personally), there's something about that logo that I really like.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    2,966

    Re: Report: Hornets becoming Pelicans

    Quote Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
    Does this mean the T Wolves will be the Lakers too? What about the Seattle SuperSonics?
    Actually the Seattle SuperSonics are coming back. Seattle owners bought the Sacramento Kings and will be moving the team to Seattle and they will also bring back the Sonics name and colors.

    http://www.ballerstatus.com/2013/01/...seattle-group/

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by NEPAsteeler View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. As strange as the name Pelicans sounds to me (personally), there's something about that logo that I really like.
    I agree. The colors are cool in my opinion. Maybe they can make up for the lame name by having sweet jerseys.

    Really though in a few years people won't care too much about the team name. I could be wrong though.

    On a side not there is a Single A baseball team named the Myrtle Beach Pelicans that I always enjoyed watching
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

  20. #20
    Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Posts
    7,587

    Re: Report: Hornets becoming Pelicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
    On a side not there is a Single A baseball team named the Myrtle Beach Pelicans that I always enjoyed watching
    My best friend is stationed at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina and goes to quite a few MB Pelicans games. I'd like to get down there and catch a game just for the hell of it.

  21. #21
    Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Treasure Coast
    Posts
    11,172

    Re: Report: Hornets becoming Pelicans

    All Defense!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •