Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update: Roethlisberger Won't Play Against Ravens

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Update: Roethlisberger Won't Play Against Ravens

Ben Roethlisberger threw very little and talked even less on the first day he tossed a football with teammates since being injured 21⁄2 weeks ago.

Does his uncommon silence mean he’s simply not ready to play, even against the rival Ravens — a team the Steelers haven’t beaten in five tries without their franchise quarterback?

Roethlisberger’s limited practice participation Wednesday suggests his dislocated rib and shoulder-related sternoclavicular joint injuries haven’t healed enough for him to play. Roethlisberger’s light throwing ended even before some players reached the practice field............

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2DfJZmQkV

Senior Member Array title="steelerdiva will become famous soon enough"> steelerdiva's Avatar

Re: Steelers’ Roethlisberger throws but appears unlikely to play

Welp...we're screwed
    Hometown Gal.....R.I.P My Black and Gold Sister...See ya in the morning.

The broad formerly known as memphissteelergirl

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Sit him down.

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

Heard on ESPN radio this morning that Ben is a game time decision - hmmmm

Dwinsgames

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Thumbs down Roethlisberger won't play in Baltimore

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

Ben Ruled OUT @Baltimore

Big Ben has been ruled out for this week's game against the Ravens. I think we basically all knew this already.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...oethlisberger/
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

Re: Roethlisberger won't play in Baltimore

Damnit, I just posted it too haha.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

That's good. It shouldn't have been a question to begin with.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

6-6 here we come...

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    6-6 here we come...
    Welp, it's just something that's gonna be dealt with.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

6-6 here we come...
    same record that the giants last year!

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Re: Update: Roethlisberger Won't Play Against Ravens

As much as I would have preferred Ben to play, it is the right call. The Steelers need Ben much more for the stretch run and the WC then they do this Sunday.

Senior Member Array title="Austin87 is an unknown quantity at this point"> Austin87's Avatar

Not good, not good at all.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    As much as I would have preferred Ben to play, it is the right call. The Steelers need Ben much more for the stretch run and the WC then they do this Sunday.
    is this not the stretch run

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

It is, but it isn't. With a three-game lead in the AFCN, it is unlikely the Ravens will lose the division barring a total collapse, or major injuries to Flacco or Rice. So why risk starting an injured Ben, who could be lost until 2013 from a hard hit from Suggs or Ngata. So better to let him heal and shoot fir the 5th seed in the WC.

Because if Roethlisberger doesn't return this year, Pittsburgh's chances in the post-season aren't very promising.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

And the steelers unofficially fall to 6-6

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Well this sucks, it is the stretch run if we lose sunday that means we pretty much have to win our last 4.

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    Well this sucks, it is the stretch run if we lose sunday that means we pretty much have to win our last 4.
    Nope, there's a few scenarios where we only have to win the last two games of the year in order to make it into the playoffs. One scenario at least where we can only win the last two, and still make it in as the fifth seed. The scenarios aren't outlandish either. It's just how the games are calendared this year. For instance, the Colts play the Texans twice in the last three weeks. We play the Bengals (who play Baltimore the next week, not to mention San Diego this week), Baltimore plays the Broncos in the third to last game of the year. New England plays Miami this week and the last week, and they also play Houston and San Francisco.

Everyone of those teams are in the playoff hunt, and moreover, except for SF, they are all AFC teams where games affect the entire playoff standing.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Nope, there's a few scenarios where we only have to win the last two games of the year in order to make it into the playoffs. One scenario at least where we can only win the last two, and still make it in as the fifth seed. The scenarios aren't outlandish either. It's just how the games are calendared this year. For instance, the Colts play the Texans twice in the last three weeks. We play the Bengals (who play Baltimore the next week, not to mention San Diego this week), Baltimore plays the Broncos in the third to last game of the year. New England plays Miami this week and the last week, and they also play Houston and San Francisco.

Everyone of those teams are in the playoff hunt, and moreover, except for SF, they are all AFC teams where games affect the entire playoff standing.
    well we pretty much gotta win the 4 to controll our destiny, i understand that mathematically we can still do it but we would need help.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    well we pretty much gotta win the 4 to controll our destiny, i understand that mathematically we can still do it but we would need help.
    we're going to get some help by default , many of the teams in question are having to play one another ..someone gonna win someone gonna lose .....

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    we're going to get some help by default , many of the teams in question are having to play one another ..someone gonna win someone gonna lose .....
    True but a 9-7 finish or an 8-8 finish will put us in a position to where we will have to scoreboard watch, were as a 10-6 finish pretty much locks up a spot for us.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Ahh, to hell with this season. IR Ben, IR Troy, IR Adams, IR everybody that doesn't play this week. Bring in all the practice squad and give as many reps as possible to the youngest guys on the team. Sign as many guys as you can off other squads and let's see who can play football.

Next year we start with a clean slate.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Ahh, to hell with this season. IR Ben, IR Troy, IR Adams, IR everybody that doesn't play this week. Bring in all the practice squad and give as many reps as possible to the youngest guys on the team. Sign as many guys as you can off other squads and let's see who can play football.

Next year we start with a clean slate.
    I would be all for this except that in my opinion it would affect the integrity of the game and the Steelers organization. Also I'm pretty sure you're not serious, you, just like myself and the Steelers are competitors and would never just lie down and die. I fully expect nothing less than 110% from the 22 that take the field in Baltimore on Sunday. Or I'm gonna be pissed. I can deal with a loss as long as the players are playing their hearts out. Nothing irks me more than lack of effort.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I would be all for this except that in my opinion it would affect the integrity of the game and the Steelers organization. Also I'm pretty sure you're not serious, you, just like myself and the Steelers are competitors and would never just lie down and die. I fully expect nothing less than 110% from the 22 that take the field in Baltimore on Sunday. Or I'm gonna be pissed. I can deal with a loss as long as the players are playing their hearts out. Nothing irks me more than lack of effort.
    I expect a completely different team on the field this Sunday. I expect to see an effort that is worthy of the Black and Gold. Who was it? Troy or James that said you can hear the voices around the stadium of the players that have gone on before them. Well, I got a feeling those voices were none too pleased this week.

I think from Tomlin right down the line, I expect an aggressive, concerted effort to not only win the game, but to make a statement. "You don't want this in the playoffs".

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

6-6 here we come...
    Quite likely. But keep in mind that would be considered a miracle season in Cleveland!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Quite likely. But keep in mind that would be considered a miracle season in Cleveland!
    And five weeks ago we would have been happy to be at .500 considering what the team has been dealing with health wise.

Black & Gold Metal Array title="SteelGhost is on a distinguished road"> SteelGhost's Avatar

6-6 here we come...
    And 8-8 at the end of the season if Ben does not get healthy

Once, we were L Legends Array title="oneforthetoe has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Good.

With our line as beat up as it is, and with our running game having troubles again (related, I'm sure), I really didn't want him back there, not to mention the health concerns. I'm sure his wife is breathing a sigh of relief as well.
    More likely, Ben is happy because he actually gets to sleep in the bed instead of on the couch, where he would have been had he been able to convince the powers that be he could play this week.