Thread: Steelers’ Hampton wouldn’t block rule change

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Steelers’ Hampton wouldn’t block rule change

Casey Hampton, the Steelers’ veteran nose tackle, is hesitant to complain about the Baltimore Ravens’ offensive linemen skirting the rules that allow them to block him below the waist.

“They can block a guy when we’re engaged, and it’s just part of the rule,” Hampton said. “There are a lot of rules people don’t like, but everyone knows the rules are geared for offenses to do well. That’s just the way this league is.”

Now the league’s competition committee is considering a ban on all blocks below the waist. If the ban passes, the league’s most dominant defensive linemen could become even more of a force.

“No question about it. If a defensive lineman doesn’t have to worry about a guy going after his legs, he’ll definitely be more dominant,” said Hampton, a five-time Pro Bowl selection. “It’ll be surprising if they do something to protect the defensive player a little more.” .............

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2Dpji0FKz

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Re: Steelers’ Hampton wouldn’t block rule change

Player safety, only if it causes more offense. Must say, the cut/chop block just does not belong in the NFL.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Nonsense! Goodell does everything he can for player safety!!!!

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAsteeler View Post
    Nonsense! Goodell does everything he can for player safety!!!!

he sure does !!

if your an offensive player that is ....

Senior Member Array title="GodfatherofSoul is a jewel in the rough"> GodfatherofSoul's Avatar

Back in the Raiders game one lineman comes off his blocker and dives directly into Woodley's ankle with all his weight while he was engaged up high. I thought that HAD to be a penalty, but apparently it's OK to try to maim defenders.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GodfatherofSoul View Post
    Back in the Raiders game one lineman comes off his blocker and dives directly into Woodley's ankle with all his weight while he was engaged up high. I thought that HAD to be a penalty, but apparently it's OK to try to maim defenders.
    All depends on the position on the line. If the player is one position over, he can maim the defender. If he is 2 positions away, it is a penalty. I know, doesn't make sense to me either.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I agree with the idea of doing away with the chop block, but please let's think about it a little more this time before we go knee-jerking. Banning ALL blocks below the waist? Give me a fucking break.

It's one thing when you're taking cheapshots against players in the middle of the line whose attention is elsewhere and where space and freedom of movement are limited; I mean, you're not going to see Hampton hurdling someone when the opposing center is 6 inches from his face. It's another matter entirely when you've got open-field situations with guys going one-on-one against each other from all different angles, particularly when you add DBs and WRs and RBs into the mix. Sometimes a low block is a legitimate move, but of course one-size-fits-all is better, so they'll probably ignore all those situations and mess things up even further.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I agree with the idea of doing away with the chop block, but please let's think about it a little more this time before we go knee-jerking. Banning ALL blocks below the waist? Give me a fucking break.

It's one thing when you're taking cheapshots against players in the middle of the line whose attention is elsewhere and where space and freedom of movement are limited; I mean, you're not going to see Hampton hurdling someone when the opposing center is 6 inches from his face. It's another matter entirely when you've got open-field situations with guys going one-on-one against each other from all different angles, particularly when you add DBs and WRs and RBs into the mix. Sometimes a low block is a legitimate move, but of course one-size-fits-all is better, so they'll probably ignore all those situations and mess things up even further.
    Right on! I read that as well, and I thought the same. I was hoping they were only referring to blocking below the waist in the chop block situation. If they are talking about all blocks below the waist, yeah, serious trouble.