Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: UPDATE: Steelers sign WR Plaxico Burress

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

Re: Steelers expected to sign WR Plaxico Burress

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    And who's going to throw to him........

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

If you don't have a QB to get him the ball, then you look for a receiver to help offset that. I have no clue what Burress has left in his tank but I know the size is still there. That quality is still unique. Don't know if he can separate but he'll always be a matchup problem. And he has no margin of error to be a headache to us.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Well, duh. A high ankle sprain tends to hang around and fuck up the whole rest of your season, so probably.
    Nah...can't be...they said it wasn't serious and he's be back soon...must've been true...lol. Called this one immediately...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

wow didnt know cotchery was hurt that bad on sunday. at first i thought this was just a vote of no-confidence in wallace and sanders

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Filed to ESPN: Free-agent WR Plaxico Burress is expected to go to Pittsburgh to meet with and take a physical for the Steelers. Need WR help

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/stat...59615048495104
    and also, change the title of this thread, its misleading. He's expected to take a physical and workout, it doesnt say anywhere he's expected to sign
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

What the........

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

"You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

Im not sure about Cotchery but he did take a shot last night and laid there for a little bit and I cant remember if returned to the game...he may very well be injured. I dont understand it...is something changing in game play hits??? It seems like our injuries go up year after...conditioning issue?? Never seen it this bad not just in pittsburgh but across the league...Goodell must be on the edge of his seat...hope he falls and cracks his head open and fine him for a head to head concussion!!!

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Cotchery suffered a rib injury according to Tomlin.

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

Also signing Burress would hopefully help Wallace....matchup issues...hard to double team both...if so then I would throw to Heath all day!!

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMayhem72 View Post
    Im not sure about Cotchery but he did take a shot last night and laid there for a little bit and I cant remember if returned to the game...he may very well be injured. I dont understand it...is something changing in game play hits??? It seems like our injuries go up year after...conditioning issue?? Never seen it this bad not just in pittsburgh but across the league...Goodell must be on the edge of his seat...hope he falls and cracks his head open and fine him for a head to head concussion!!!

ya know the new CBA might be a factor in this issue ... players are much more limited than in past seasons to how often they dawn the pads and actively hit one another in practice ... some claim that;s good because the body is not forced to absorb as much abuse over the season while others say players get a little softer ..I come from the latter camp and believe in most cases the players just are not accustomed to getting hit as much and become more fragile because of it ...who knows for sure what the " right answer " really is

Also signing Burress would hopefully help Wallace....matchup issues...hard to double team both...if so then I would throw to Heath all day!!
    I don't think anyone is double-teaming Burress. I know I just talked about the size matchup, but he's long past the point of needing to be shadowed by a safety. In terms of threats to this team, he'd be lower on the totem pole.

All these rib injuries tells me one thing...defenders are lowering their target just like Father GODDELL wants...guess what roger...doesnt reduce the injuries!! The league is gonna turn into a backup league cause thats all thats gonna be playing is the backups!

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    I don't think anyone is double-teaming Burress. I know I just talked about the size matchup, but he's long past the point of needing to be shadowed by a safety. In terms of threats to this team, he'd be lower on the totem pole.

I still think he merits double coverage in the redzone ( esp inside the 10 ) , he is still very deadly on corner fade routes vs any db in the league based on sheer size alone

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    I absolutely think it would cause matchup issues because of his size not so much ability anymore thus helping wallace!!

- - - Updated - - -

I still think he merits double coverage in the redzone ( esp inside the 10 ) , he is still very deadly on corner fade routes vs any db in the league based on sheer size alone
    Agreed!

- - - Updated - - -

BTW...welcome aboard DWINSGAMES!

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    and also, change the title of this thread, its misleading. He's expected to take a physical and workout, it doesnt say anywhere he's expected to sign
    Exactly! Just because he comes in doesn't mean that we're going to sign him.

Senior Member Array title="slippy will become famous soon enough"> slippy's Avatar

this season really ran off the rails in a hurry.

Well I said this last week about Ben and possible "career" issues with his injury...just something I heard but couldnt provide a link just something I heard from a medical expert...its all speculation now about Ben but I do think his season is over only further tests will give us a more definite answer...my problem is a lack of a backup plan...It was a matter of time Ben suffered a "serious" injury but this is one injury that he may beg to play but could be a life or death thing and in no way he will play because of it...I blame our front office and the coaches for no vision past this...we have all been spoiled by Ben's toughness and playing through pain but this injury there will be no such thing...should have had viable backups in here a couple of years ago!!!

I absolutely think it would cause matchup issues because of his size not so much ability anymore thus helping wallace!!

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed!

- - - Updated - - -

BTW...welcome aboard DWINSGAMES!
    Yes, he still would be a matchup problem but I don't think he'll warrant too many double-teams at this late stage of his career

- - - Updated - - -

Eh...I don't know if I'd agree, Generally, you don't see many double-teams in the redzone unless you're a top-flight receiver (i.e. Calvin Johnson).

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Toney Clemons, please step forward!

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Just get Hines or ARE out of retirement to play QB and WR and vice versa.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

It may not be a bad move. An 'extra' WR, know's the organization, a WR BEN likes and know's how to run the routes, and probably...being half way thru the season and Burress not having a job....the price is probably right. I'm sure they are searching for a QB right now also. Good luck F.O. Go Steeler's.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    It may not be a bad move. An 'extra' WR, know's the organization, a WR BEN likes and know's how to run the routes, and probably...being half way thru the season and Burress not having a job....the price is probably right. I'm sure they are searching for a QB right now also. Good luck F.O. Go Steeler's.
    Problem is...Ben ain't playing...:wink:

you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Problem is...Ben ain't playing...:wink:

......and neither is Lefty......and after this week neither is Chuck.

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

LOL @ everyone saying we need a QB to get the ball to him. Charlie Batch has always been dependable, and now I hope he lights it up just to silence this crap.

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

At least try to play Rainey in the slot or swing him from 2 rb formation. Burress not the answer
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Black & Gold Metal Array title="SteelGhost is on a distinguished road"> SteelGhost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    wow didnt know cotchery was hurt that bad on sunday. at first i thought this was just a vote of no-confidence in wallace and sanders

- - - Updated - - -

Very true, we have to wait to see if Plex signs.

Senior Member Array title="Heinz Hitman is on a distinguished road"> Heinz Hitman's Avatar

ya know the new CBA might be a factor in this issue ... players are much more limited than in past seasons to how often they dawn the pads and actively hit one another in practice ... some claim that;s good because the body is not forced to absorb as much abuse over the season while others say players get a little softer ..I come from the latter camp and believe in most cases the players just are not accustomed to getting hit as much and become more fragile because of it ...who knows for sure what the " right answer " really is
    And we have a winner! This is exactly why there are so many injuries this year. I have been saying this all season.

Oh, and don't I know you from somewhere, D? lol Welcome aboard stud.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

This is something I didn't see happening.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

It's probably just a motivational move to get Ben back on the field. Get him that tall receiver he's always asking for.