Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UPDATE: Ed Reed's suspension lifted

Dwinsgames

UPDATE: Ed Reed's suspension lifted

did not see that coming ....

I suspected a fine but this really gives the Chargers a chance to off the Ravens in San Diego

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-game-for-hits
    Last edited by fansince'76; 11-19-2012 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Added link

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Re: Ed Reed suspended for hit on Sanders

Wow. That is a bit much. Oh well, such is the state of affairs in the new NFL.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

WOW

Senior Member Array title="Carolina Steelers has a spectacular aura about"> Carolina Steelers's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

I didnt see that coming either maybe a fine but suspended, Wow

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

"We cannot tolerate repeated violations of rules, especially rules related to player safety," said NFL Executive Vice President of Football Operations Ray Anderson.
    As Big Snack gets his knees cut out from under him on yet another "legal" cut block. Oh, that's right, Hampton is a defensive player, my bad.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Maybe this will alleviate the belief that the league "has it in" for the Steelers.
    That's a good one Preach!

Senior Member Array title="Boh will become famous soon enough"> Boh's Avatar

Ravens Reed suspended one game

Bang bang play imo. Both players lowered their heads for impact, natural reaction. Surprised this much action was taken.
    https://i.imgur.com/GCEAsxD.png

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    That's a good one Preach!

or maybe the Ravens let the league know Reeds injury was going to prevent him from playing next week and they seen it as a perfect chance to try and put of some of the fire .....

just kidding or am I ?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Can't put it off until Week 13? Maybe he'll file a protest and play Week 12...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: Ravens Reed suspended one game

Quote Originally Posted by Boh View Post
    Bang bang play imo. Both players lowered their heads for impact, natural reaction. Surprised this much action was taken.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...-game-for-hits
    Bang-bang unavoidable hits make up 90%+ of the BS fines and suspensions defensive players are getting nailed with nowadays, so I'm not surprised in the least. The powers-that-be in the NFL want 43-37-type games every game.

If you take a look at replay, both players put their heads down at the same exact time. This sucks, i guess we get a taste of what you guys deal with, with goodell

Re: Ravens Reed suspended one game

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Bang-bang unavoidable hits make up 90%+ of the BS fines and suspensions defensive players are getting nailed with nowadays, so I'm not surprised in the least. The powers-that-be in the NFL want 43-37-type games every game.
    Actually, I think at least in this case, the league just wants the DB's to not come flying in head first. They'd rather have the head on the football, or anywhere else, then level with another guys helmet. It's why Clark and the others have learned to hit by not lowering their head - and as a result, our defense has gotten much better (very few if any broken tackles, for instance).

I agree that the league doesn't want a lot of defense. It's the common move in Hockey, Basketball, and now football, but I don't think this situation is a direct result of that. Instead, it's meant to protect players that have not returned their focus to their immediate surroundings due to throwing/catching/punting the ball. Moreover, it's only headshots that are being called. If what you're saying is true, then headshots, helmets in the ribs, etc. etc. would all be called.

As for defensive players not being protected - that's a different issue, and one I'd probably agree with you on, at least ninety, ninety-five percent if not more.

sleezy pickle doodle Array title="touchdownward is a glorious beacon of light"> touchdownward's Avatar

Yes it was a penalty on the field and was called such, but suspension is going too far. Hell, a fine would have been too much.
    BLAH!!!Forever loving and missing you Gal.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Just saw the hit...and yep, complete horseshit. That didn't come close to deserving a suspension and barely deserving of a fine even by today's pussy standards. Don't like the Ravens at all, but I'm on their side on this one.

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

I dont what he did that justify a suspension?

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

There's no need for a suspension...

Just reading this thread and just wondering if the Rat's fans would be so magnanimous if it was Polamalu that got suspended.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

I don't think it was from that hit alone. I think it's a repeat offender decision.

And for the record, as I've said before, Goodell does not make fine/suspension decisions. PFT reports the decision came from Merton Hanks...a former DB.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-hits-to-head/

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

"SUSPENDED" ought to be in all caps in the title. I can hardly believe it. It was such a chickenshit penalty in the first place that I almost felt embarrassed to get the yardage for it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

it looks like some of you are happy because this gives the chargers a better chance of beating the ravens but i dont like it. This could hurt us because the chargers believe it or not, are still in playoff contention, and right now it looks like the colts are pretty much going to get one of the spots. That 6th spot could very well be stolen from us if the chargers happen to beat the ravens and us. Doesnt seem likely but just throwing that out there. The only reason i would like this news is if Ben were still playing and we still had a decent shot at the division crown. But in this situation, not good for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Just reading this thread and just wondering if the Rat's fans would be so magnanimous if it was Polamalu that got suspended.
    a bad decision is a bad decision, no matter what team its against. we aren't mindless hating people like you may portray us.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

He was suspended because of repeat violations. Funny how they're not even counting the second helmet to helmet hit that he had in the New England game this year. That's actually his 3rd one this season.

I hate the rule as much as anyone but if nothing else it will teach these DBs to not come flying in head first. Maybe it will help them extend their careers a little longer. We all see what these hits have done to Clark.

I also think it's funny how much the Ravens fans are crying about this and yet they all laughed when the Steelers were getting all of the fines. I guess now we're the team that "gets it".

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

watching the game last night...the Ravens are not going anywhere this year...we showed how anemic their offense is and if we had Ben in there ditto for their Defense!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boh View Post
    a bad decision is a bad decision, no matter what team its against. we aren't mindless hating people like you may portray us.
    Been reading some of your earlier posts...Im happy to say that you are not the typical Ravens fan!!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Don't like the Raisins but this is a horseshit suspension. Booooooooooo!

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

WOW i honestly do not know what a defensive guy is suppose to do now manny lowered his head. the game i love is dying a slow death

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    I don't think it was from that hit alone. I think it's a repeat offender decision.

And for the record, as I've said before, Goodell does not make fine/suspension decisions. PFT reports the decision came from Merton Hanks...a former DB.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-hits-to-head/
    It still didn't deserve a suspension, no matter who made the call. It was bullshit, and I hope Reed is appealing it.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    It still didn't deserve a suspension, no matter who made the call. It was bullshit, and I hope Reed is appealing it.
    That hit alone was not the reason. It was repeated illegal hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    That hit alone was not the reason. It was repeated illegal hits.
    And I said before that it wasn't even worthy of a fine, much less a suspension. It's exactly the kind of scenario that I have been criticizing from day one. What the hell are defenders supposed to do when the WR also lowers his head? Bang-bang plays like that should be seen for what they are, but to this group of pansy-asses, it's a reason to suspend someone. Fuck that shit. You can go on defending these guys, but at some point, even you are going to start questioning their decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    And I said before that it wasn't even worthy of a fine, much less a suspension. It's exactly the kind of scenario that I have been criticizing from day one. What the hell are defenders supposed to do when the WR also lowers his head? Bang-bang plays like that should be seen for what they are, but to this group of pansy-asses, it's a reason to suspend someone. Fuck that shit. You can go on defending these guys, but at some point, even you are going to start questioning their decisions.
    In the majority of cases, I don't defend anything that produces serious head injuries. I'm all for taking the needed steps for the league to do whatever it takes to cut down (granted, never eliminating) concussions, head injuries, and brain trauma.