Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: UPDATE: Ed Reed's suspension lifted

Re: Ed Reed suspended for hit on Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Man. I've got a lot of respect for what you have to say around here, but this is starting to sound a little ...

SR - the rules are the rules. We can kvetch about them all we want, but they are what they are. The notion that players can't hit however, is simply wrong. Look, there's plenty of things wrong with the league right now, but choosing this battle is simply foolish, IMO. Plenty of players are hitting hard and legally.

I mean, do you prefer ESPNball over real football? Would you rather see big hits and missed tackles rather than big hits and good tackling?

Oh, and I see your Kool-aid pic, and up it with a black gold pair of

I mean, the rules are laid out for anyone to read.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Re: UPDATE: Ed Reed's suspension lifted

I'm gunna go on a mini-rant here. It'll probably stir the pot and will turn into another four pages of back and forth, but I've held my tongue long enough.

The NFL is one a big player-safety mantra. That is clear. But can fans stop using that as an excuse whenever they want something changed. Article on Yahoo sports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--di...212235294.html

Author claims that the NFL should get rid of PATs after Gronk's injury because, "At a time when the NFL is so concerned about player safety, why does the league continue to have conversion kicks?"

Come on! Yes, the league wants the game to be safer. But no, they're not looking to eliminate every injury. They know that isn't possible. You can't just liberally throw out the "player safety" line whenever it suits you. It's getting too ridiculous. It's become the fall-back for every argument.

Re: Ed Reed suspended for hit on Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Ball carriers are not considered "defenseless receivers." One the guy catches the football and regains his ability to defend himself, there is no penalty for a hit to the helmet (outside of the obvious "spearing" type penalty).

You miss my point....an offensive player can initiaite helmet to helmet contact just as easily as a defensive player...yet there is NO move to eliminate that type of contact. Why?....simply because safety is NOT the driving point in this rule change....its public perception. The league isnt about to make a rule change "for safety" that might put fewer points on the board and fewer dollars into the coffers.

And since it's only the defensive player that has full control of the hit as the offensive player is still unable to protect himself (move, get an arm out, go down, outrun the guy, prepare for a hit, etc.,) they put the onus on the guy doing the hitting.
    That is just incorrect....if both players are driving at each other... both WILLING to be involved in the collision so as to advance or stop the ball placement...then neither have an advantage in regards to "full control". To say otherwise is to defy physics.

But again, intention means absolutely nothing. Either the helmets hit, or they do not hit. That is all. It's a very simple rule.
    I agree that intent cannot be regulated...that is why the "simplicity" of the rule makes it absurd. Not being able to take "intent" into the equation makes it arbitrary by its very nature.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Again...That is what people have been complaining about since the beginning. The league is unable to properly define the hit.
    This. You can't look at it black and white...they've created a "rule" that includes nothing but grey for the most part. Something that is the last thing you want...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler