View Poll Results: What is the max Steelers should offer Wallace for a long term deal?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • $6 million per year or less

11 29.73%
  • Up to $7 Million per year

7 18.92%
  • Up to $8 Million per year

8 21.62%
  • Up to $9 Million per year

7 18.92%
  • $10 Million per year or more

4 10.81%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What should Steelers offer Wallace in a long term deal

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

What should Steelers offer Wallace in a long term deal

Based on the signing of Brown and our current cap situation, what do you feel the Steelers should be willing to pony up to keep Wallace long term?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Re: What should Steelers offer Wallace in a long term deal

GB, you beat me to it. I was going to start this kind of thread, but with a poll.

I was going to put up 5-7Mil, 8-10Mil, 11-13Mil. He is worth Fitz/Megatron money.

Do you want me to add this to this thread?

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    GB, you beat me to it. I was going to start this kind of thread, but with a poll.

I was going to put up 5-7Mil, 8-10Mil, 11-13Mil. He is worth Fitz/Megatron money.

Do you want me to add this to this thread?
    I was actually doing a poll but you saw it before I finished. lol.

Why don't you let me know if you think there is a better way to phrase the options.

....and by the way, I agree with Preach to wait until the season is over but I think it will be interesting to see what people's current thoughts are.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    I was actually doing a poll but you saw it before I finished. lol.

Why don't you let me know if you think there is a better way to phrase the options.

....and by the way, I agree with Preach to wait until the season is over but I think it will be interesting to see what people's current thoughts are.
    Good job. Ya know, great minds....

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

I selected $7 million. At this point, if the season ended today, I'm not paying him more than Brown. So he walks, basically.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    I selected $7 million. At this point, if the season ended today, I'm not paying him more than Brown. So he walks, basically.
    I was wrestling with 7 or 8 and chose 8.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Good job. Ya know, great minds....
    Seriously Count, if I had to pick a poster whose thoughts on most Steelers topics most mirrored mine I would pick you.

However I do not think most people would take that as a compliment. lol.

Senior Member Array title="GodfatherofSoul is a jewel in the rough"> GodfatherofSoul's Avatar

This season is his audition for a new contract. Besides TDs (14th I think), his major stats are all in the 30s rank wise. Guys getting the top ten contracts should be game changers, not just very good.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/pl...receivingYards

I chose up to 9mil, considering his first 2 1/2 years of work and taking into consideration his hold out this year. I think once he gets fully acclimatized into Haley's offense, he will do better and better.

The Steelers will have to develop draft picks and UDFAs much quicker. These guys are signed for 4 years and pretty cheap, compared to the vets.

Harrison and Hampton may be cap casualties, while Ben, Troy, Woodley and Timmons will have to renegotiate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Seriously Count, if I had to pick a poster whose thoughts on most Steelers topics most mirrored mine I would pick you.

However I do not think most people would take that as a compliment. lol.
    Well, I certainly have to take it as a compliment.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Franchise TAG

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Really you think brown earned 8 mil if the season ended today and wallace did not?

Really you think brown earned 8 mil if the season ended today and wallace did not?
    This is 7 per year for Brown(6/43 millions)not 8 millions

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburg...antonio-brown/

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    This is 7 per year for Brown(6/43 millions)not 8 millions

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburg...antonio-brown/
    ok, well do people really think what hes done this year justifies 7 million dollars?

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    ok, well do people really think what hes done this year justifies 7 million dollars?
    yes....next question

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

It's irrelevant what we offer Wallace. He's gone anyway because someone else will break the bank for him. Franchise tag or nothing, is how that's going to play out.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

He's caught for more yardage than Wallace. In fact, he may STILL be ahead even after being out a game. So let me ask you this...do you really believe Wallace is worth 7 million based? You seem to loooooooooooove you some Wallace and haaaaaaaate you some Brown. I chose 9 million dollars, by the way.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    yes....next question

ditto
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Ū Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

Remember this one?

Hater = Realist

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

For the production he's had so far, yes he has done enough to earn the contract, and would likely be doing more than enough had he not spent the past 3 weeks on the sideline. $7 million is about what an average to above-average WR makes, which makes it a bargain when you think about everything Brown brings to the table. As for Wallace, if you base it on his production the past 3 years, I'd put him in the $9-10 million range. He can still get that from the Steelers if they give him more guaranteed money and lessen the cap hit for the first year or 2 - something that not everyone has considered in this whole saga. It's not like the other sports where the AAV is the same throughout the life of the contract. And they obviously were not that concerned about the cap implications next year if they were willing to give him a $50 million contract.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    For the production he's had so far, yes he has done enough to earn the contract, and would likely be doing more than enough had he not spent the past 3 weeks on the sideline. $7 million is about what an average to above-average WR makes, which makes it a bargain when you think about everything Brown brings to the table. As for Wallace, if you base it on his production the past 3 years, I'd put him in the $9-10 million range. He can still get that from the Steelers if they give him more guaranteed money and lessen the cap hit for the first year or 2 - something that not everyone has considered in this whole saga. It's not like the other sports where the AAV is the same throughout the life of the contract. And they obviously were not that concerned about the cap implications next year if they were willing to give him a $50 million contract.
    This was in response to sevens comment that if the season ended today he would not pay wallace more than brown. My question was just to point out the bias against wallace due to his hold out. if antonio brown has earned 7 million its hard to then make the arguement that wallace is not worth more.

This was in response to sevens comment that if the season ended today he would not pay wallace more than brown. My question was just to point out the bias against wallace due to his hold out. if antonio brown has earned 7 million its hard to then make the arguement that wallace is not worth more.
    I don't give a damn about the holdout. He's absolutely in the right to go after as much money as he can. I'm almost always in favor of the player during contract disputes in this league and that doesn't change with Wallace. I just think it would be in the Steelers best interest to allocate that money to other areas of the field. The holdout has nothing to do with it.

And how is it "hard" to make the argument that Wallace isn't worth more? Other than touchdowns this season Brown has nearly identical stats - on far fewer snaps. Not to mention he adds an extra dimension to special teams, something Wallace has never done.
    "If you are holding on to something that you no longer need to hold on to, I encourage you to let go." - Rashard Mendenhall

I don't give a damn about the holdout. He's absolutely in the right to go after as much money as he can. I'm almost always in favor of the player during contract disputes in this league and that doesn't change with Wallace. I just think it would be in the Steelers best interest to allocate that money to other areas of the field. The holdout has nothing to do with it.

And how is it "hard" to make the argument that Wallace isn't worth more? Other than touchdowns this season Brown has nearly identical stats - on far fewer snaps. Not to mention he adds an extra dimension to special teams, something Wallace has never done.
    TDs are important they win football games, you can catch first downs all day long but it does no good if you dont get the ball in the endzone. You think we can win with a number reciever scoring 1 or 2 tds in a season, the answer is absolutely not. Also wallace has put the numbers for 4 seasons now and brown is still unproven, how can you not like what wallace is doing this year but defend antonio browns season, your saying brown is just as good as good as wallace except he doesnt score? Scoring is very important, i keep hearing tds arent everything, well to me they mean more than catches and yards, which by the way wallace puts up alot of also.

TDs are important they win football games, you can catch first downs all day long but it does no good if you dont get the ball in the endzone. You think we can win with a number reciever scoring 1 or 2 tds in a season, the answer is absolutely not. Also wallace has put the numbers for 4 seasons now and brown is still unproven, how can you not like what wallace is doing this year but defend antonio browns season, your saying brown is just as good as good as wallace except he doesnt score? Scoring is very important, i keep hearing tds arent everything, well to me they mean more than catches and yards, which by the way wallace puts up alot of also.
    Touchdowns are very important but how many of Wallace's touchdowns could have been scored by another receiver had they been running that route? Who knows. It would only be speculation. But touchdowns are so insanely hard to predict that you can't sign a player based solely on touchdown production. Believe me, many years of fantasy football has taught me that haha.

So taking touchdowns out of the equation, Brown and Wallace are neck in neck in production this year. And... since you claim we overpaid Brown, how can you justify paying Wallace more?

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Brown had two punt return td's called back this season. He's a danger to break one any game. Look it up, teams that score special teams TD's win at an amazingly high rate. So how can that not factor into the discussion of his contract?

Touchdowns are very important but how many of Wallace's touchdowns could have been scored by another receiver had they been running that route? Who knows. It would only be speculation. But touchdowns are so insanely hard to predict that you can't sign a player based solely on touchdown production. Believe me, many years of fantasy football has taught me that haha.

So taking touchdowns out of the equation, Brown and Wallace are neck in neck in production this year. And... since you claim we overpaid Brown, how can you justify paying Wallace more?
    But you cant take tds out of the equationthey are a crucial part of the equation and again its not neck and neck wallace has stayed consistent, brown is still unproven. Brown had one decent season but again im not giving him a pass on the tds you dont get paid 7 mil a year to catch a few first downs you gotta score. So i can easily make a case for wallace being paid more he catches alot of passes he makes alot of yards he scores and hes done it for 3 and half seasons now. Antonio brown has shown flashes but nothing consistent, he had a decent year but didnt score much and dont tell me he moves the chains because he only caught 3 more first downs than wallace last year. Now hes hurt so he missed almost the entire giants game the cheifs will miss the ravens and probaly the browns.

Brown 127 catches 1774yds 3tds career 7 mil a year
    Wallace 213 catches 3745 30tds career 2.7mil a year
    ya wallace has played one more season than brown but its more than double the production.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

I rarely post in here, but I have to ask: Why do any of you care what he gets paid? It isn't like he's going to break the franchise's back, even he gets $15 million.

I know your team doesn't usually pay huge contracts, but is it really that importent to you what they decide to pay him?

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    I rarely post in here, but I have to ask: Why do any of you care what he gets paid? It isn't like he's going to break the franchise's back, even he gets $15 million.

I know your team doesn't usually pay huge contracts, but is it really that importent to you what they decide to pay him?
    The Steelers have serious cap issues going into next season.

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post

Its because he held out and alot of fans have the attitude that nobody does that to the steelers. personally i would love to see him get his money i think hes a great weapon.

Its because he held out and alot of fans have the attitude that nobody does that to the steelers. personally i would love to see him get his money i think hes a great weapon.
    I haven't seen one person say they are still upset about the holdout.