View Poll Results: What is the max Steelers should offer Wallace for a long term deal?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • $6 million per year or less

11 29.73%
  • Up to $7 Million per year

7 18.92%
  • Up to $8 Million per year

8 21.62%
  • Up to $9 Million per year

7 18.92%
  • $10 Million per year or more

4 10.81%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What should Steelers offer Wallace in a long term deal

Re: What should Steelers offer Wallace in a long term deal

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    Its because he held out and alot of fans have the attitude that nobody does that to the steelers. personally i would love to see him get his money i think hes a great weapon.
    Not any more. He's done very little this year to earn it. Actually, over the last year and a half. On top of that, if we sign him to a nice sized contract, then we're going to lose some other players this year or next year. Who are you willing to lose? Ike Taylor? Troy P.? Ben R.? Willie Colon? Timmons? Woodley? Harrison?

Those are the names with cap hits that would have to be cleared for a big contract to Wallace, and I'm sorry, but Wallace means less to this team than every one of those players listed above. Even Harrison.

And that's not to mention the cap-hell we already find ourselves in, let alone having to sign him, and a number of other players back this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Why pay him that kind of money? Trades just don't happen like that in the NFL. You have to find a team that will absorb Wallace's contract.
    Some of it. I believe signing bonuses stay with the original team, and actually get tacked on to the cap number that year, or split between that year and the next, I don't remember right now.

Dwinsgames

the ONLY way you could sign and trade a guy like Wallace is a long term heavily back loaded contract that has a small signing bonus ....you know the kind he would never agree to

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

The Steelers made the perfect contract offer to Wallace. As reported it was 50m for 5 years, but only 8m guaranteed. It was enough to keep him, but not enough to make him unattractive if they try to trade him. It also tested his commitment. No surprise that when he turned it down, Brown was locked up. I'd rather lockup Sanders at this point and Keenan Lewis.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    the ONLY way you could sign and trade a guy like Wallace is a long term heavily back loaded contract that has a small signing bonus ....you know the kind he would never agree to
    There's always franchise tag-and-trade, which is more likely. Let the other team worry about the guaranteed money and bonuses and all that crap.

Personally, I think he just walks after the season and we get a third-round compensatory pick, although Goodell probably knocks it down to seventh and gives a first-round pick to the Patriots.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

You can easily find a guy to replace him late in the draft. We've done it repeatedly.

My only concern here is that Wallace and Lewis are friends from way back. If we let Wallace walk, Lewis may decide to leave also.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    You can easily find a guy to replace him late in the draft. We've done it repeatedly.

My only concern here is that Wallace and Lewis are friends from way back. If we let Wallace walk, Lewis may decide to leave also.
    Hmm. You know, if Al Davis was still around, we could tag Wallace and then talk to the Raiders about a trade.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Hmm. You know, if Al Davis was still around, we could tag Wallace and then talk to the Raiders about a trade.

problem with that is Al would not have any picks in the first 3 rounds cause he would have already dealt them for a couple of 40 year old Vets LOL