View Poll Results: What is the max Steelers should offer Wallace for a long term deal?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • $6 million per year or less

11 29.73%
  • Up to $7 Million per year

7 18.92%
  • Up to $8 Million per year

8 21.62%
  • Up to $9 Million per year

7 18.92%
  • $10 Million per year or more

4 10.81%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What should Steelers offer Wallace in a long term deal

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Re: What should Steelers offer Wallace in a long term deal

Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    I trust my own eyes more than Dale Lolley's. Sorry, not saying the Chiefs didn't play some cover 2. But Wallace saw plenty of single coverage, and did little to exploit it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lolley's source was Wallace himself. Receivers are always claiming their open on every play, or when they're not they were double covered.

Seriously I'm watching the game as we discuss this. And the Chiefs didn't go to any great lengths to take Wallace out of the game.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I'll give you an example. On Wallace's touchdown catch he was covered man up by #24. The safety slides over late for inside help, but only after he determine's that Heath Miller and Jonathan Dwyer aren't releasing into the pattern. (both stayed in to block) It's not until Ben commits and has the ball in the air that Berry makes a move in Wallace's direction.

That's not double coverage.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

Well, Andre Johnson just showed why he's making the big bucks with nearly 300 yards receiving and the game-winning touchdown score from 48 yards out. Wallace has ONE 100 yard game this season, and he's making 2 million. Seems quite justified to me.

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I'll give you an example. On Wallace's touchdown catch he was covered man up by #24. The safety slides over late for inside help, but only after he determine's that Heath Miller and Jonathan Dwyer aren't releasing into the pattern. (both stayed in to block) It's not until Ben commits and has the ball in the air that Berry makes a move in Wallace's direction.

Its a short field no need wallace is not gonna run by you from the 7

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post

Also wallace did score against single coverage if you want to get technical

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

Bottom line is that Wallace is going to need to step it up BIG TIME in Brown and Ben's absence tonight. If he gathers another 50 or 60 yards receiving i'll be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by bayz101 View Post
    Well, Andre Johnson just showed why he's making the big bucks with nearly 300 yards receiving and the game-winning touchdown score from 48 yards out. Wallace has ONE 100 yard game this season, and he's making 2 million. Seems quite justified to me.
    And wallace still has 3 more td catches than johnson.

Its a short field no need wallace is not gonna run by you from the 7

- - - Updated - - -

Also wallace did score against single coverage if you want to get technical
    Are you insinuating that he's only good if he's got 40 yards and a straight line ahead of him? You DO realize receivers need to go over the middle, not only on the field, but in the End Zone, right? Straight line speed isn't worth more than what we're paying Brown.

Are you insinuating that he's only good if he's got 40 yards and a straight line ahead of him? You DO realize receivers need to go over the middle, not only on the field, but in the End Zone.
    No the point is they are not going to double cover him from the 7, no need to put a safety over the top from the 7 yard line that be ridiculous.

And wallace still has 3 more td catches than johnson.
    As I said earlier, a majority of Wallace's touchdown catches this year came in our losses. Andre Johnson has been injured a lot of this season. He'll probably STILL finish with better stats at the end of the year. Touchdown catches aren't everything, especially when you still lose the game in the end. Do you honestly believe Mike Wallace is a better all-around receiver than Andre Johnson? I know you didn't say that, i'm just asking.

As I said earlier, a majority of Wallace's touchdown catches this year came in our losses. Andre Johnson has been injured a lot of this season. He'll probably STILL finish with better stats at the end of the year.
    And i pointed out you are wrong this year alone he has td catches in 3 wins and 3 losses and career wise its not even close, he catches tds we win the numbers dont lie. Andre johson has started and played every game this season.

No the point is they are not going to double cover him from the 7, no need to put a safety over the top from the 7 yard line that be ridiculous.
    Sorry to tell you this, but when Brown was on the field, Wallace wasn't double-covered nearly as much as some fans claim. Several times he was in man coverage, and failed to beat his man. Brown would be over the middle making plays, even when his route broke and he had to improvise. Brown is an all-around good receiver who make plays without the help of a speedy receiver occasionally drawing double coverage. When Wallace scored on deep balls once a game in Bruce Arians ridiculous system, deep backs took notice and put an extra man on him. In this offensive system, a speedy receiver like Wallace isn't a MUST. The receivers we have can be productive without Wallace's speed. He hasn't shown enough for me to believe he's anything other than a straight-line speed receiver, and that alone isn't worth 8 million dollars, in my honest opinion.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

And i pointed out you are wrong this year alone he has td catches in 3 wins and 3 losses and career wise its not even close, he catches tds we win the numbers dont lie. Andre johson has started and played every game this season.

So which is it? 6 TDs, 3 in wins, 3 in losses. He catches TDS, we are 50/50 on wins.

Sorry to tell you this, but when Brown was on the field, Wallace wasn't double-covered nearly as much as some fans claim. Several times he was in man coverage, and failed to beat his man. Brown would be over the middle making plays, even when his route broke and he had to improvise. Brown is an all-around good receiver who make plays without the help of a speedy receiver occasionally drawing double coverage. When Wallace scored on deep balls once a game in Bruce Arians ridiculous system, deep backs took notice and put an extra man on him. In this offensive system, a speedy receiver like Wallace isn't a MUST. The receivers we have can be productive without Wallace's speed. He hasn't shown enough for me to believe he's anything other than a straight-line speed receiver, and that alone isn't worth 8 million dollars, in my honest opinion.
    So what do we do about tds or do you plan on beating teams with field goals? How do you know the recievers can be productive without wallace since they have not been on the field without wallace. And the fact is he is doubled every game with a safety over the top, that is why brown is able to catch 6 or 7 balls over the middle. There may be occasions were he is single covered but he is not consistently covered by single coverage. Everyone keeps telling me brown is making all these big catches, can you name them?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    So which is it? 6 TDs, 3 in wins, 3 in losses. He catches TDS, we are 50/50 on wins.
    career wise its 22-5 when he catches a td

Andre Johnson has played through his injuries. Nothing major, obviously, but even minor injury are nagging. Oh, could be wrong, but here ya go:

Denver Broncos. Wallace scores a touchdown. End Result: Loss.
    New York Jets. Wallace scores a touchdown. End Result: Win.
    Oakland Raider. Wallace scores a touchdown. End Result: Loss.
    Philadelphia Eagles. Wallace held to 17 yards. End Result: Win
    Tennessee Titans. Wallace scores a touchdown. End Result: Loss
    Cincinnati Bengals. Wallace drops five passes. End Result: Win.
    Washington Redskins. No scores for Wallace. End Result: Win.
    New York Giants. Wallace scores a touchdown. End Result: Win (Note this was really his only meaningful game this year)
    Kansas City Chiefs. Wallace scores on probably the luckiest catch of all-time. 14 yards on the day. End Result: Win.

3 losses with a touchdown.
    2 wins with a touchdown.

- - - Updated - - -

I give up. There's no point in even arguing. It's like yelling at wall.

Andre Johnson has played through his injuries. Nothing major, obviously, but even minor injury are nagging. Oh, could be wrong, but here ya go:

New York Giants. Wallace scores a touchdown. End Result: Win (Note this was really his only meaningful game this year)
    Kansas City Chiefs. Wallace scores on probably the luckiest catch of all-time. 14 yards on the day. End Result: Win.

2 wins with a touchdown.

check your math ace jets win giants win kc win 3 wins with td catch

- - - Updated - - -

2 wins with a touchdown.

- - - Updated - - -

I give up. There's no point in even arguing. It's like yelling at wall.
    I love it the guy with 6 tds has only played one meaningful game this season but the guy out with an injury and has 1 td catch is the playmaker. Maybe you should go yell at the wall.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

lol you guys arent seriously throwing a cloud over a receiver's td's just because they come in a losing effort? damn, wallace better stop scoring in games we lose in to make everyone feel better . Good lord we are really scraping the barrel for ways to throw wallace under the bus
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    lol you guys arent seriously throwing a cloud over a receiver's td's just because they come in a losing effort? damn, wallace better stop scoring in games we lose in to make everyone feel better . Good lord we are really scraping the barrel for ways to throw wallace under the bus
    It is getting totally outrageous!

Steelers 7, Wallace 3.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Wallace's gift is his speed.

I pray they Steelers use that to their advantage in the 2nd half of this game.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Where is the choice "Don't try to sign him" or "try and trade him"

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Any way we can get a first rounder for him? He does not show any signs of having the rust come off from his hold out and stepping up big. Mr Wallace is about to play in his last 5 games (hopefully 9) as a Steeler.

I wonder if they will start to bench him when Brown comes back. No need to waste reps on a player that has checked out.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

No one was willing to give up a first rounder before this season...why would they do it now? lol...

I doubt at this point anyone would give one up for Mendenhall either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    No one was willing to give up a first rounder before this season...why would they do it now? lol...

I doubt at this point anyone would give one up for Mendenhall either.
    Maybe package them together for a 2nd and a 3rd? I was really expecting both of them to be stellar in the 2nd half of this season. Oh well, that is why I don't gamble.

Dwinsgames

Let him walk and be happy with the compensatory selection you receive for him and knowing that some other team threw away a large part of their cap space

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Maybe package them together for a 2nd and a 3rd? I was really expecting both of them to be stellar in the 2nd half of this season. Oh well, that is why I don't gamble.
    you can NOT trade players at this point in the season and NEITHER of them are under contract with us in 2013 so we have no way of trading them without first signing them to a contract that will make them untradable because they will both want more than their market value will dictate then we would be stuck with them both and in worse cap condition than we are now

Let him walk and be happy with the compensatory selection you receive for him and knowing that some other team threw away a large part of their cap space

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent post!

you can NOT trade players at this point in the season and NEITHER of them are under contract with us in 2013 so we have no way of trading them without first signing them to a contract that will make them untradable because they will both want more than their market value will dictate then we would be stuck with them both and in worse cap condition than we are now
    Thanks for clearing that up.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

At this point, I think Wallace needs to go catch passes from RGIII or Rosie Palmer, because he's worn out any good will he had left. He's not even close to being worth what the Steelers offered. He has given zero effort the past 3 weeks on top of having hands of stone.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    At this point, I think Wallace needs to go catch passes from RGIII or Rosie Palmer, because he's worn out any good will he had left. He's not even close to being worth what the Steelers offered. He has given zero effort the past 3 weeks on top of having hands of stone.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Offer Wallace ? How about the door and a bus ticket ? Too much money for his talent of 50/50 catches. I'm tired of holding my breath every time they throw to him.....ah, let's see....will he catch it ? and if he does, will he HOLD onto it ?