Thread: David Petraeus resigns from CIA

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

David Petraeus resigns from CIA

David Petraeus resigns from CIA over "Extra-Marital Affair".

http://news.yahoo.com/cia-director-q...200741924.html

-----------------------

Interesting timing, don't ya think? Probably wouldn't be "Hush-hush" about Benghazi, and "retired" just like Bruce Arians. Anything to keep his pension.

The Oncoming Storm Array title="Vis will become famous soon enough"> Vis's Avatar

Re: David Petraeus resigns from CIA

The timing is typical. Clinton will resign soon, as will Holder. Who knows who else will go.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Clinton will resign to get her election machine primed for 2016. Give her a year to a year 1/2.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vis View Post
    The timing is typical. Clinton will resign soon, as will Holder. Who knows who else will go.
    Like rats leaving a sinking ship.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Oncoming Storm Array title="Vis will become famous soon enough"> Vis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    Like rats leaving a sinking ship.
    The ship was just refurbished for 4 more years. I'm expecting a call. I'd make an outstanding attorney general.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Clinton will resign to get her election machine primed for 2016. Give her a year to a year 1/2.
    I don't think she will run. I bet she could be tempted to take a Sup Ct nomination

- - - Updated - - -

I have to say, i like this update feature

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

The ship was just refurbished for 4 more years. I'm expecting a call. I'd make an outstanding attorney general.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think she will run. I bet she could be tempted to take a Sup Ct nomination

- - - Updated - - -

I have to say, i like this update feature
    I like it, too. It's bad news for post-whores, though.

Quote Originally Posted by bayz101 View Post
    I like it, too. It's bad news for post-whores, though.
    It's good news for the aged who keep think of another point after hitting post.

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

Yes, there is typically turnover at the end of a term. But those people generally don't step down while also admitting an affair.

My guess (and that's all it is): Someone knew about the affair and threatened him in some way regarding Benghazi. Rather than allowing that someone to hold it over him, Petraeus broke the news himself and stepped down.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
    Yes, there is typically turnover at the end of a term. But those people generally don't step down while also admitting an affair.

My guess (and that's all it is): Someone knew about the affair and threatened him in some way regarding Benghazi. Rather than allowing that someone to hold it over him, Petraeus broke the news himself and stepped down.
    I can see stepping down because of the affair being about to come out. The benghazi speculation is just conspiracy wishful thinking.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Do you think Obama with resign too?
    All Defense!

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

I can see stepping down because of the affair being about to come out. The benghazi speculation is just conspiracy wishful thinking.
    He was scheduled to testify on Benghazi next week. Timing is a bit suspicious, no?

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

This stinks to high heaven. Hopefully, they can always supeona him later. Who cares if he had an affair. This is all about Benghazi, and another one under the Obama bus.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

He was scheduled to testify on Benghazi next week. Timing is a bit suspicious, no?
    Just look at your avatar..... there's your answer.

He isn't going into hiding. he can still be subpoenaed

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

He will write a book and tell half of America they made a mistake.
    All Defense!

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

I say very little, if anything, comes out of this hearing. This Teflon President still has many Get Out of Jail Free cards.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I wish this would have come out before the election so that Obama lost and our country could be saved

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Just look at your avatar..... there's your answer.
    Snootchie bootchies.

Correct. And look at the difference in position he'd be in ...
    He wouldn't be the director of the CIA stuck between having to lie or having his affair exposed.

Think about all the sex scandals that have plagued Washington (and politics elsewhere). How many times do you recall an official, either elected or appointed, coming forward and admitting an affair without it first being exposed? As you said, this is the time when there's turnover in an administration. He could have stepped down and walked away to handle his personal business. He could have walked away without it being suspicious. Why was there a need to also make the public aware of the affair? The only good reason I can think of is that he just took away the ammunition that someone could have used against him.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    I say very little, if anything, comes out of this hearing. This Teflon President still has many Get Out of Jail Free cards.
    Unfortunately, I agree. It sure would be nice though to find out the truth. And it would be helpful if Petaeus (or someone else) is able and willing to provide it. But yeah, I won't hold my breath.

It appears I'm not the only one connecting these dots. This is from an interview with Lt. Col. Ralph Peters:

"The timing is just too perfect for the Obama administration. Just as the administration claimed it was purely coincidence that our Benghazi consulate was attacked on the anniversary of September 11th. Now it’s purely coincidence that this affair -- extra-marital affair -- surfaces right after the election, not before, but right after, but before the intelligence chiefs go to Capitol Hill to get grilled. As an old intelligence analyst, Neil, the way I read this -- I could be totally wrong, this is my interpretation -- is that the administration was unhappy with Petraeus not playing ball 100% on their party-line story. I think it's getting cold feet about testifying under oath on their party-line story. And I suspect that these tough Chicago guys knew about this affair for a while, held it in their back pocket until they needed to play the card.

I don't like conspiracy theories, I may be totally wrong, but the timing of this, again, right after the election and right before Petraeus is supposed to get grilled on Capitol Hill, it's really smells."

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...o_perfect.html

Smashmouth Posting Array title="Seven has much to be proud of"> Seven's Avatar

There has to be something more to this, and I'm not one for conspiracy theories. Who gives a shit if he had an affair, he's the head of the CIA, not the Pope.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    There has to be something more to this, and I'm not one for conspiracy theories. Who gives a shit if he had an affair, he's the head of the CIA, not the Pope.
    The thinking is that as director of the CIA, knowledge of the affair could compromise him. That makes sense, but it's not like the affair just happened or it was discovered this week. So why now?

It very well could be true that there's not more to this, but I think it needs to be looked at.

The thinking is that as director of the CIA, knowledge of the affair could compromise him. That makes sense, but it's not like the affair just happened or it was discovered this week. So why now?

It very well could be true that there's not more to this, but I think it needs to be looked at.
    Compromise him how? In the sense that someone outside of his already established circle could gain his trust and obtain sensitive information?

Quote Originally Posted by Seven View Post
    Compromise him how? In the sense that someone outside of his already established circle could gain his trust and obtain sensitive information?
    He could be blackmailed.

He could be blackmailed.
    I realize that, but unless I'm missing something did he not admit to the affair before resigning? Therefore what could he be blackmailed with had he stayed on?

You would think that a man who was at the top of the CIA at a time when they tracked down and helped kill Usama bin Laden would be considered an asset enough that banging some chick wouldn't be enough to get him fired.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Can you say "fall guy," everybody?

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Yep, the head hunters are out in full strength.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Krauthammer: Petraeus Testimony On Benghazi Possibly Influenced By WH Knowledge Of Affair

.....And that brings us to the ultimate issue and that is his testimony on September 13th. That's the thing that connects the two scandals and that's the only thing that makes the sex scandal relevant, otherwise it would be exercise in sensationalism, and voyeurism, and nothing else. The reason that it's important is here's a man who knows the administration holds his fate in his hands and he gives testimony completely at variance with what the Secretary of Defense had said the day before, at variance with what he heard from the station chief in Tripoli and with everything that we had heard. Was he influenced by the fact he knew his fate was held by people in the administration at that time?.....
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vid...of_affair.html
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

I think the really shocking news today was that General Petraeus thought and hoped he could keep his job. He thought that it might and would be kept secret and then he could stay in his position. I think what that tells us is really important. It meant that he understood that the FBI obviously knew what was going on. He was hoping that those administration officials would not disclose what had happen and therefore hoping that he would keep his job. And that meant that he understood that his job, his reputation, his legacy, his whole celebrated life was in the hands of the administration and he expected they would protect him by keeping it quiet.
    Which they did, until it was no longer politically expedient to do so and a patsy for the giant clusterfuck in Benghazi was needed.