Thread: Steelers RB Mendenhall says a Fullback would be a welcome sight

Steelers RB Mendenhall says a Fullback would be a welcome sight

by Matt Loede
    nflgridirongab.com

Tim Lester.... Jon Wittman.... Dan Kreider..... John L. Williams.

A couple players in the past that have been and were solid fullbacks for the Black and Gold, opening holes for the likes of Jerome Bettis, Eric Pegram, Barry Foster and others.

Now the Steelers feature back is former first-round pick Rashard Mendenhall, and coming into the 2010 season, there’s no doubt the Steelers have at least talked about running the ball a whole lot more.

So where does a fullback fit into the picture? Count Mendenhall in as a player that would like to see the Steelers employ a blocker. One name that comes to mind to fill the hole – Frank “The Tank” Summers, whose rookie year in 2009 was cut short due to a back injury.

“A fullback in the backfield he can probably see a lot of things a tight end couldn’t,” said Mendenhall. “(Fullbacks) being ballcarriers they know what you’re trying to do, they know where you’re trying to go and they can get there before you so a lot of times the fullback will end up at the same place after reading a play.”

Mendenhall had a solid season after the team realized that Willie Parker couldn’t handle the load and wasn’t the same player he was a few years back. All Mendenhall did was rush for 1,108 yards and seven touchdowns. Imagine what he could do with someone opening holes for him like Summers.

“Frank’s starting to pick up on things and things are becoming more natural for him,” Mendenhall said. “He played a lot of running back so he can see and feel those things out.”

Maybe it’s time to get back to power football, otherwise known as “Steeler Football.” It would be a welcome sight for Mendenhall
    http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2010/0...welcome-sight/

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

I hope BA's work's his game plan around the running game and have a solid FB for Mendy. Summer's for now is our guy and man do I miss someone blocking for our RB's! That was Steeler's football a few seasons back with Kreider blocking the way for the Bus, Staley, and Parker. Time to bring smash mouth back with the Steelers!
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

As everyone knows, I totally support BA, but the one thing that I didn't like about his offense was him not wanting to utilize a FB. I'm hoping - praying - BEGGING - that he has changed his tune on this issue and we see the re-emergence of a FB in the backfield.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Mendenhall seems like just another "hater" that wants to go back to Cowherball and hasnt clued in that the NFL is a passing league now. Silly RB that wants a FB.....what do they know.

Let's ride! Array title="BuddhaBus is just really nice">

God I hope SOMEONE pans out as a fullback for us. It would be nice to have someone besides Carey Davis or a TE blocking for Mendy and company back there

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
    As everyone knows, I totally support BA, but the one thing that I didn't like about his offense was him not wanting to utilize a FB. I'm hoping - praying - BEGGING - that he has changed his tune on this issue and we see the re-emergence of a FB in the backfield.
    You and me both. Always liked Arians and never disagreed much with his play calling on the field no matter what the outcome, but dang we just flat out need a fullback it's a proven success for our running game!
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelpride12 View Post
    You and me both. Always liked Arians and never disagreed much with his play calling on the field no matter what the outcome, but dang we just flat out need a fullback it's a proven success for our running game!
    Arians never used a blocking FB in Cleveland with his offense. His Temple University offense with Paul Palmer was pretty much a single back offense too. I still dont expect to see a FB in it this season. Its not what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Arians never used a blocking FB in Cleveland with his offense. His Temple University offense with Paul Palmer was pretty much a single back offense too. I still dont expect to see a FB in it this season. Its not what he does.
    Ya, but he knows it's the key to success. Im not expecting one either he will run it the way he as been, but just a wish is all I and many of us here im sure have!

- Greg Lloyd

I have never fully understood why he would rather use a TE (or center) to block out of the backfield in short yardage situations...instead of using a big back.

Maybe....Just maybe...that was why we drafted Summers. Summers might be used as a hybrid RB/FB...but that would be a lot more conventional then what we have done in the past

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Just as long as that FB isnt carey davis!

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Hopefully BA will have a change of heart this year, with the QB situation the way it is, the running game should play a much bigger role in the beginning of the year. And with thr running game playing a bigger role hopefully he will utilize the fb

Qui dall'inizio Array title="Vincent is on a distinguished road"> Vincent's Avatar

Mendenhall seems like just another "hater" that wants to go back to Cowherball and hasnt clued in that the NFL is a passing league now. Silly RB that wants a FB.....what do they know.
    I hate haters. And I hate that people would hate me for that.
    http://www.steeluniverse.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=20&dateline=127519049  3

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
    but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    I have never fully understood why he would rather use a TE (or center) to block out of the backfield in short yardage situations...instead of using a big back.

Maybe....Just maybe...that was why we drafted Summers. Summers might be used as a hybrid RB/FB...but that would be a lot more conventional then what we have done in the past
    I think he likes multiple TE's as better pass catching options, with the belief that they can block if needed. Likewise, he has indicated his belief that "you can get 2 yards by passing just as easy as running".

Never really valued a blocking FB in cleveland offenses and they struggled in short yardage too. I think the best option for the current offense is to try and avoid 3rd and short situations. Its almost better to be in 3rd and 5 than 3rd and 2.........the way the Steelers currently play.

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

I wouldn't mind seeing a full back in Pittsburgh. It would definetly help out the running game and would save the miles on Mendenhall. It will be interesting to see what Dwyer can bring to the table it could turn out to be a pretty good two headed monster.

Junior Member Array title="JoeCactus is an unknown quantity at this point"> JoeCactus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    by Matt Loede
    nflgridirongab.com

Tim Lester.... Jon Wittman.... Dan Kreider..... John L. Williams.

A couple players in the past that have been and were solid fullbacks for the Black and Gold, opening holes for the likes of Jerome Bettis, Eric Pegram, Barry Foster and others.

Now the Steelers feature back is former first-round pick Rashard Mendenhall, and coming into the 2010 season, there’s no doubt the Steelers have at least talked about running the ball a whole lot more.

So where does a fullback fit into the picture? Count Mendenhall in as a player that would like to see the Steelers employ a blocker. One name that comes to mind to fill the hole – Frank “The Tank” Summers, whose rookie year in 2009 was cut short due to a back injury.

“A fullback in the backfield he can probably see a lot of things a tight end couldn’t,” said Mendenhall. “(Fullbacks) being ballcarriers they know what you’re trying to do, they know where you’re trying to go and they can get there before you so a lot of times the fullback will end up at the same place after reading a play.”

Mendenhall had a solid season after the team realized that Willie Parker couldn’t handle the load and wasn’t the same player he was a few years back. All Mendenhall did was rush for 1,108 yards and seven touchdowns. Imagine what he could do with someone opening holes for him like Summers.

“Frank’s starting to pick up on things and things are becoming more natural for him,” Mendenhall said. “He played a lot of running back so he can see and feel those things out.”

Maybe it’s time to get back to power football, otherwise known as “Steeler Football.” It would be a welcome sight for Mendenhall
    http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2010/0...welcome-sight/
    Personally, I think the NFL "copy cat" mindset has retrogressed the ability to run ever since Joe Gibbs invented the H back concept because he had all purpose backs in Riggans and Rogers. Now all the teams have a "blocker" as a fullback. Misnamed and dissing real fullbacks in the past like John Henry Johnson, Jim Taylor, Alan Ameche, and of two other greats Earl Campbell and the best running back ever Jim Brown. These guys were fullbacks!!!! I like the two back offense, two backs that can run either with power or speed and two backs that can block and two backs which can catch. It makes offense so much easier to be awesome. The Browns with Mack and Byner had two such backs, the Packers with Hornung and Taylor won two Super Bowls with them and OH YEAH the Steelers won four Super Bowls with two such backs (the fullback) Franco Harris and the halfback Rocky Blier....and Miami did well with the fullback Larry Csonka and the halfbacks Mercury Morris and Jim Kiick.

Now are having the Wildcat Offense as a craze.........same as the single wing of 30's and 40's.......

My view, bring back the two real running pass catching backs .......and watch the whole league copy.....once again.......it gives an offense way more looks to defend.........too bad it is now dufused and obsolete.......when it was always ahead of the game.......sorta like pulling guards which were deemed obsolete not long ago........but are now being used again

If were a coach, that what I would be doing........and winning......waiting for "copy cats"
    Last edited by JoeCactus; 05-31-2010 at 02:57 PM.

SteelerSal
    Some backs are comfortable without a fullback..if Mendy prefers one, I'd say give him what he wants if he feels he can perform better. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCactus View Post
    Personally, I think the NFL "copy cat" mindset has retrogressed the ability to run ever since Joe Gibbs invented the H back concept because he had all purpose backs in Riggans and Rogers. Now all the teams have a "blocker" as a fullback. Misnamed and dissing real fullbacks in the past like John Henry Johnson, Jim Taylor, Alan Ameche, and of two other greats Earl Campbell and the best running back ever Jim Brown. These guys were fullbacks!!!! I like the two back offense, two backs that can run either with power or speed and two backs that can block and two backs which can catch. It makes offense so much easier to be awesome. The Browns with Mack and Byner had two such backs, the Packers with Hornung and Taylor won two Super Bowls with them and OH YEAH the Steelers won four Super Bowls with two such backs (the fullback) Franco Harris and the halfback Rocky Blier....and Miami did well with the fullback Larry Csonka and the halfbacks Mercury Morris and Jim Kiick.

Now are having the Wildcat Offense as a craze.........same as the single wing of 30's and 40's.......

My view, bring back the two real running pass catching backs .......and watch the whole league copy.....once again.......it gives an offense way more looks to defend.........too bad it is now dufused and obsolete.......when it was always ahead of the game.......sorta like pulling guards which were deemed obsolete not long ago........but are now being used again

If were a coach, that what I would be doing........and winning......waiting for "copy cats"
    First, the H-back was designed by Joe Gibbs, because you cant have a RB blocking, or helping block Lawrence Taylor....he added a TE in the backfield that was also a receiving threat and could also help with LT.

Second, the old school guys you mention were FB size, but many teams were running a split back (pro set, or pony backfield) set like the 49ers west coast teams of the 80's. Its designed to give multiple threats of running, closer to the line of scrimmage as opposed to the I formation. Those guys were not FB's that would lead an I formation run.

I think what this article and Mendenhall is referring to is a lead FB from an I formation (of offset I ) who can recognize a running lane, lead thru it and block the LB. Running behind a FB is like paining by numbers....you follow the FB and run to the side opposite of the tackler that he blocks. Its easy, but a lot of teams today run a zone block with a single back that picks his lane or cuts back.

As much as you think things are evolutionary in the NFL, they are not.....they are revolutionary in that everything comes around again. The Wildcat is just adapation of the single wing offense. Basically, Mendenhall is saying he would like to run from an I formation and that isnt gonna likely happen.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Likewise, he has indicated his belief that "you can get 2 yards by passing just as easy as running".
    Now that is just blatantly stupid

Junior Member Array title="JoeCactus is an unknown quantity at this point"> JoeCactus's Avatar

First, the H-back was designed by Joe Gibbs, because you cant have a RB blocking, or helping block Lawrence Taylor....he added a TE in the backfield that was also a receiving threat and could also help with LT.

Second, the old school guys you mention were FB size, but many teams were running a split back (pro set, or pony backfield) set like the 49ers west coast teams of the 80's. Its designed to give multiple threats of running, closer to the line of scrimmage as opposed to the I formation. Those guys were not FB's that would lead an I formation run.

I think what this article and Mendenhall is referring to is a lead FB from an I formation (of offset I ) who can recognize a running lane, lead thru it and block the LB. Running behind a FB is like paining by numbers....you follow the FB and run to the side opposite of the tackler that he blocks. Its easy, but a lot of teams today run a zone block with a single back that picks his lane or cuts back.

As much as you think things are evolutionary in the NFL, they are not.....they are revolutionary in that everything comes around again. The Wildcat is just adapation of the single wing offense. Basically, Mendenhall is saying he would like to run from an I formation and that isnt gonna likely happen.
    Did you really listen to what I said. Kevin Mack could block a horse..........and run over one too and catch passes...........the idea is to have two great backs inside outside, at least capable of blocking and both capable of catching passes......opens up the whole offense and what you said about Gibbs and the H back mirrors what I said............

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Bruce Arians has no idea what that is Rashard...sorry...

Shenaniguy Array title="kmsteelerwr15 is on a distinguished road"> kmsteelerwr15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsdancefloor View Post

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsdancefloor View Post
    Week 1: Frank Summers goes on IR
    Week 2: David Johnson goes on IR
    Week 3: Sean McHugh goes on IR
    Week 4: Issac Redman goes on IR
    Week 5: Demetrius Taylor goes on IR

Hmmm....

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

And this is Arians fault...how?

You guys do realize that he has made at least an effort in putting a guy like McHugh, Johnson, or Legursky (in goalline situations) at the fullback spot.

Do you really think Frank The Tank can be a Krieder clone?

Don't blame Bruce. Blame Tomlin or Colbert if you really resent the fact we don't have a blocking fullback. It's their call.