Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Romney vs. Obama II

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: Romney vs. Obama II

I hear tell that this was supposedly "the greatest televised debate in history".
    I suppose if the intent is to have a verbal gladiator duel with no real substance like it's some kind of sporting event, they've got a point.
    But in terms of actually *informing* the voting public? Not so much. It was all stupid questions, posturing, and sound bites.
    As far as who "won" it, that's probably the dumbest question of all. Winning a debate would require actually swaying voters. Neither candidate achieved that. If there's any real winner, it's the networks. They put on a huge spectacle and got good ratings for it. The big losers were the electorate. They wasted their time watching it and got absolutely no information to help them make their decision.

We are not a serious nation.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

MSNBC's Undecided Voter Panel Swayed by Romney

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...ey_654728.html

This is more improtant than a poll of mostly decided voters.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I was talking about the CBS early poll.
    You said get my facts straight i never mentioned a cbs poll. I just referenced the poll on fox.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    I thought it was a childish display of 5 year olds calling each other "poopy butt" the whole evening. What a pathetic display of immaturity on both parts. I'm supposed to cast a vote for one of them, yet neither can act the part of someone I'd like to see run the country. I'm tempted to sit this one out for the first time ever.

Why the hell can't a decent moderator be found to run these things in a professional manner? Isn't there anyone available to run this circus in a professional, non partisan manner? The whole thing is just so mind numbingly pitiful.
    I think all things considered MR did a pretty good job of letting obama talk when it was his turn despite the number of times he was interrupted by obama or the mod. Was he a little passionate? Hell yeah he was and TBO I want to see passion. America has a lot on the line right now and MR understands the importance of winning this thing.

And BTW I completely agree with you on the decent moderator part.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Hophead Array title="SCSTILLER has a spectacular aura about"> SCSTILLER's Avatar

All of this bickering back and forth about who won the debate, who cut off who, what candidate says what, and what they will do to fix the country is all for nought because the election has already been decided. Honey Boo Boo threw her support behind Marak Obama on the Jimmy Kimmel show, elections over boys and girls, another four years of Marak Obama is on the way no matter what the polls say and no matter how you vote.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go!" -- John Muir

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

MSNBC's Undecided Voter Panel Swayed by Romney

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...ey_654728.html

This is more improtant than a poll of mostly decided voters.
    Exactly, this is what is most important.

The majority who said Obama won that debate are already Obama knob gobblers
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Any of you see Frank Luntz after the debate? About 24 undecided voters.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hindes204 View Post
    He emailed me yesterday saying he's been permanently banned, so you won't see him anymore (unfortunately).
    Randy has been a friend for over 5 years and there is not another person I associate with this board more besides the mods and owners. I loved reading his posts, even when I didn't agree with some things.

Smokin GT

No one is going to agree with him all or some of the time but his post were thought out and educated. I suspect 1 or 2 members probably blowing up the admin mailboxes anytime their feelings or ego got a little hurt.
    I agree on both parts.

Zu, Wallace, Slash (and the other 50% of the board I argue with), I just gotta say that no matter how heated it has gotten in passionate debates I have never complained nor held a grudge.

Whether we agree or not, we all say what is on our mind and I like that because I always know who you are and where you are coming from. .

....and there is not a single person on this entire board I do not believe is a good person or wouldn't want to have a beer with given the opportunity.

I hope that this decision is reconsidered at some point.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Randy has been a friend for over 5 years and there is not another person I associate with this board more besides the mods and owners. I loved reading his posts, even when I didn't agree with some things.

I agree on both parts.

Zu, Wallace, Slash (and the other 50% of the board I argue with), I just gotta say that no matter how heated it has gotten in passionate debates I have never complained nor held a grudge.

Whether we agree or not, we all say what is on our mind and I like that because I always know who you are and where you are coming from. .

....and there is not a single person on this entire board I do not believe is a good person or wouldn't want to have a beer with given the opportunity.

I hope that this decision is reconsidered at some point.
    The board isn't as good without Suit. I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise?

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

On the day Suit was banned, he was going at it with another member in the "My Biggest Fear" thread. As only Suit can, he let the other poster know in no uncertain terms that his intellect didn't measure up to Suit's standard. He then compared the poster to three other board members who he deems intellectually inferior ... three posters who weren't even involved in the current discussion. Suit doesn't have a problem personally attacking others and letting them know exactly how he feels about them. So I jumped in and let Suit know exactly how I feel about HIM ... needless to say, I don't share your guys' fondness for him.

I left but came back after about an hour fully expecting to discover that I had been banned. I wasn't, but Suit was. I didn't get banned for my personal attacks on Suit because I don't make it a habit to personally attack and beat down other members, even ones I don't agree with. Suit, on the other hand, can't go one day without tossing personal insults at someone. He's been told over and over to be civil, but with those he disagrees with, he refuses to show them even an ounce of respect. That's why he got banned and I didn't. I can't speak for the mods and admins, but my guess is that they finally had enough.

I received a permanent ban in 2010. For a while, I was angry because I didn't believe that I deserved to be banned. A timeout maybe, but not a permanent ban. But I eventually came to the conclusion that I really couldn't blame the admins. I knew at the time that I was pushing a particular issue, and although I was told to let it go, I didn't. I kept pushing. And I got banned. Over time, I came to realize that I had no one to blame but myself because at any point I could have let it go and walked away. The same is true for Suit. He's been given countless warnings to knock off the personal attacks. Just like me, he didn't listen. Just like me, he got a permanent ban. And just like me, he has no one to blame but himself.

I don't disagree that Suit makes the board more entertaining. His personal attacks don't really bother people like me and Slash. We fire back at him. But not everyone has thick skin. And Suit doesn't care if you do or not. He'll insult anyone and everyone simply because he doesn't agree with their opinion. For those who can't take personal attacks, they have every right to be able to post without the fear of Suit beating them down. I suspect that those of you who like him would feel much differently if you didn't share the same political views and were getting personally attacked by him every time you post your opinion.

Suit is a smart guy ... there's no denying that. But it burns him up whenever people won't agree with him. If he can't sway them right away, he chooses to beat them down and insist that they're just too stupid to understand him. For as smart as he is, he can't understand that he'll NEVER get someone to agree with his point of view by insulting them. In fact, he just makes them fight even harder to prove him wrong. This just burns him up even more and, eventually, he just puts them on ignore. That's fine, but even when he has them on ignore, he still can't resist making comments about them and pointing out their "intellectual inferiority."

The bottom line is this: Suit got banned because he refused to be civil. Rather than arguing his point, he chose to personally attack four members of this board. Those of you who agree with his views and treat him like a hero are upset that he got banned. I get that. But I'm willing to bet that there are more people on this board who feel like the Steelers just won the Super Bowl. As for me, I couldn't care less one way or the other. He had me on ignore, so I couldn't interact with him anyway.

Based on Suit's other beliefs, I suspect he believes in individual accountability. So I assume he knows that he has no one to blame but himself.

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

I'm not going to say much other than that I agree with Wallace. No matter what he brings to the board, he's degrading, and he's dished out personal attacks on more than one occasion. It's not acceptable. I applaud the administrators and moderators for putting up with him for as long as they have.
    I do think we need to get back on topic, though. I know I've said all i'll ever say on the subject.

How about we all get back onto the original point of the thread?

I dont see how its benificial to anyone to polarize the forum over one poster.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    How about we all get back onto the original point of the thread?

I dont see how its benificial to anyone to polarize the forum over one poster.
    Agreed.

I was unable to watch the whole debate, but I caught the majority of it. One thing I kept hearing in the media today is how often Romney interrupted Obama. I must have watched a different debate. Yeah, there were times when Romney interrupted him, but there were plenty of times when Obama interrupted Romney. Do those not count for some reason? And like I said, I didn't see the whole debate, but from what I saw, Crowley also seemed to interrupt Romney a lot more than she did Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
    Agreed.

I was unable to watch the whole debate, but I caught the majority of it. One thing I kept hearing in the media today is how often Romney interrupted Obama. I must have watched a different debate. Yeah, there were times when Romney interrupted him, but there were plenty of times when Obama interrupted Romney. Do those not count for some reason? And like I said, I didn't see the whole debate, but from what I saw, Crowley also seemed to interrupt Romney a lot more than she did Obama.
    I think Bidens and Obamas interruptions have worked from a tactical standpoint....

....and Crowley is so in the tank she didn't even realize what she was doing. Her defense of Obama was as knee jerk as someone defending their own child when criticised.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

For the first time, Romney was making points on Fast and Furious and she immediately changed the subject, at Obama's prompting.

On the day Suit was banned, he was going at it with another member in the "My Biggest Fear" thread. As only Suit can, he let the other poster know in no uncertain terms that his intellect didn't measure up to Suit's standard. He then compared the poster to three other board members who he deems intellectually inferior ... three posters who weren't even involved in the current discussion. Suit doesn't have a problem personally attacking others and letting them know exactly how he feels about them. So I jumped in and let Suit know exactly how I feel about HIM ... needless to say, I don't share your guys' fondness for him.

I left but came back after about an hour fully expecting to discover that I had been banned. I wasn't, but Suit was. I didn't get banned for my personal attacks on Suit because I don't make it a habit to personally attack and beat down other members, even ones I don't agree with. Suit, on the other hand, can't go one day without tossing personal insults at someone. He's been told over and over to be civil, but with those he disagrees with, he refuses to show them even an ounce of respect. That's why he got banned and I didn't. I can't speak for the mods and admins, but my guess is that they finally had enough.

I received a permanent ban in 2010. For a while, I was angry because I didn't believe that I deserved to be banned. A timeout maybe, but not a permanent ban. But I eventually came to the conclusion that I really couldn't blame the admins. I knew at the time that I was pushing a particular issue, and although I was told to let it go, I didn't. I kept pushing. And I got banned. Over time, I came to realize that I had no one to blame but myself because at any point I could have let it go and walked away. The same is true for Suit. He's been given countless warnings to knock off the personal attacks. Just like me, he didn't listen. Just like me, he got a permanent ban. And just like me, he has no one to blame but himself.

I don't disagree that Suit makes the board more entertaining. His personal attacks don't really bother people like me and Slash. We fire back at him. But not everyone has thick skin. And Suit doesn't care if you do or not. He'll insult anyone and everyone simply because he doesn't agree with their opinion. For those who can't take personal attacks, they have every right to be able to post without the fear of Suit beating them down. I suspect that those of you who like him would feel much differently if you didn't share the same political views and were getting personally attacked by him every time you post your opinion.

Suit is a smart guy ... there's no denying that. But it burns him up whenever people won't agree with him. If he can't sway them right away, he chooses to beat them down and insist that they're just too stupid to understand him. For as smart as he is, he can't understand that he'll NEVER get someone to agree with his point of view by insulting them. In fact, he just makes them fight even harder to prove him wrong. This just burns him up even more and, eventually, he just puts them on ignore. That's fine, but even when he has them on ignore, he still can't resist making comments about them and pointing out their "intellectual inferiority."

The bottom line is this: Suit got banned because he refused to be civil. Rather than arguing his point, he chose to personally attack four members of this board. Those of you who agree with his views and treat him like a hero are upset that he got banned. I get that. But I'm willing to bet that there are more people on this board who feel like the Steelers just won the Super Bowl. As for me, I couldn't care less one way or the other. He had me on ignore, so I couldn't interact with him anyway.

Based on Suit's other beliefs, I suspect he believes in individual accountability. So I assume he knows that he has no one to blame but himself.
    I don't disagree with anything you say here. That's why I haven't appealed for his reinstatement. I don't fault the moderators a bit for taking the action that they have.

That said, I stand by what I said. the board is better with him than without him. Agree or disagree with him, he kept the place hopping.

I don't disagree with anything you say here. That's why I haven't appealed for his reinstatement. I don't fault the moderators a bit for taking the action that they have.

That said, I stand by what I said. the board is better with him than without him. Agree or disagree with him, he kept the place hopping.
    Thank you...now back to the orginal point of the thread.

Traditionally the debates outside of the first one.....dont produce a jump one way or the other in the polls. I was convinved that Obama was going to win this election...but now its so close now, that it might only be a matter of Romney keeping what states he is ahead in, and winning in Ohio and Virginia to pull it out.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    Thank you...now back to the orginal point of the thread.

Traditionally the debates outside of the first one.....dont produce a jump one way or the other in the polls. I was convinved that Obama was going to win this election...but now its so close now, that it might only be a matter of Romney keeping what states he is ahead in, and winning in Ohio and Virginia to pull it out.
    Disagree. The media has a vested interest in making the race seem closer than it actually is. Romney's bounce only succeeded in closing the gap about half-way, and he's still not competitive. Obama would have practically to skin and eat a live baby on stage in order to actually make the race competitive.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

1st off I apologize for once again taking this thread off topic, but I feel something needs to be addressed. It will be my last time posting about this in this thread, if anybody wants to address it you can start another thread.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that I was the one who was getting into it with Suit. Contrary to some of the beliefs I did not send an e-mail to the mods asking for him to be banned sometimes those things come about because the mods themselves feel he stepped over the line. I also was not at the computer while the verbal altercation took place, rather came back later and found that he had been banned. FWIW I could care less if he stays or goes and I actually agree with some of his points of view just not the way he goes about brow beating others who disagree. While he may be intellectual he doesn't know how to handle it when someone disagrees with his point of view and this time it got the better of him.

Again my apologies for derailing the thread, it will be the last time I address him in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    1st off I apologize for once again taking this thread off topic, but I feel something needs to be addressed. It will be my last time posting about this in this thread, if anybody wants to address it you can start another thread.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that I was the one who was getting into it with Suit. Contrary to some of the beliefs I did not send an e-mail to the mods asking for him to be banned sometimes those things come about because the mods themselves feel he stepped over the line. I also was not at the computer while the verbal altercation took place, rather came back later and found that he had been banned. FWIW I could care less if he stays or goes and I actually agree with some of his points of view just not the way he goes about brow beating others who disagree. While he may be intellectual he doesn't know how to handle it when someone disagrees with his point of view and this time it got the better of him.

Again my apologies for derailing the thread, it will be the last time I address him in this forum.
    First off, the thread is running out of steam, so I doubt any of us really care if it gets sidebarred a little.

Second, I can only speak for myself on this, but Suit is fully responsible for his banishment. While I wish it hadn't happened, you have nothing to explain or apoligize for. He did it to himself. I don't think anyone can make an argument otherwise, and I doubt anyone will.

Last, I had no idea what specific thread or poster interaction brought about his demise. So I'm glad you explained it here. Not so I can pin it on you ( again Suit's fault inarguably) but just to satisfy my curiosity.

Honestly I think this discussion has proven to be more interesting than the original topic.

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

I didn't think it was possible, but this debate may have just been less eventful than the first one. Nothing to see here.

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by bayz101 View Post
    I'm not going to say much other than that I agree with Wallace. No matter what he brings to the board, he's degrading, and he's dished out personal attacks on more than one occasion. It's not acceptable. I applaud the administrators and moderators for putting up with him for as long as they have.
    I do think we need to get back on topic, though. I know I've said all i'll ever say on the subject.
    I'd rather not start another thread so I'll speak my peace here.

This is not "in defense of Suit", it is simply a blanket statement. I don't know what Suit said and to be honest, his "words" don't matter.

The fact that someone gets banned over "insulting others" is absolutely PATHETIC. If you don't like how someone talks to you, after you have your frack'in milk an cookies and STOP POUTING, put that person on ignore. I assume that is an option here.

It amazes me at how many of you on this board thump your chest about not liking how this country is so "weak" and "politically correct" yet you justify banning someone OVER WORDS. It is the Internet people, get the frack over it already.

So you got your feelings hurt. SO FRACK"IN WHAT!!

Bunch of crybabies I swear.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Official Troll Array title="The Patriot is a name known to all"> The Patriot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Disagree. The media has a vested interest in making the race seem closer than it actually is. Romney's bounce only succeeded in closing the gap about half-way, and he's still not competitive. Obama would have practically to skin and eat a live baby on stage in order to actually make the race competitive.
    I wouldn't be so certain. As someone who thought this election was a done deal for Obama just a couple weeks ago, it is now a tight race. The Gallup poll has been very accurate in past elections (despite what conspiracy theorists were spouting when Romney was behind in early October), and Gallup is currently showing a huge Romney lead among likely voters. This race is very competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post

This is not "in defense of Suit", it is simply a blanket statement. I don't know what Suit said and to be honest, his "words" don't matter.

The fact that someone gets banned over "insulting others" is absolutely PATHETIC. If you don't like how someone talks to you, after you have your frack'in milk an cookies and STOP POUTING, put that person on ignore. I assume that is an option here.

It amazes me at how many of you on this board thump your chest about not liking how this country is so "weak" and "politically correct" yet you justify banning someone OVER WORDS. It is the Internet people, get the frack over it already.

Many of us get testy from time to time, especially when discussing political issues. No one is going to get banned for a negative comment now and then. But constant harassment of other members shouldn't be acceptable. If you allow people to post any inflammatory comment they want, sooner or later every thread starts turning into a flame war. And before you know it, a board can turn into a hateful place. I've seen it happen on other boards. I saw one board shut down because the atmosphere got too toxic. All it takes is for just two people to hate each other, go to war, and destroy just about every good thread on a board. In order for a board to be welcoming to all members, not just those with dominant personalities, there has to be rules. And the rules have to be backed up by consequences. In real life, there are laws against harassing people. Why should it be any different on a message board? Just because this is the Internet and we're not speaking face to face, that doesn't mean that harassment should be acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
    I wouldn't be so certain. As someone who thought this election was a done deal for Obama just a couple weeks ago, it is now a tight race. The Gallup poll has been very accurate in past elections (despite what conspiracy theorists were spouting when Romney was behind in early October), and Gallup is currently showing a huge Romney lead among likely voters. This race is very competitive.
    I agree. Not long ago, I had no doubt that Obama would win. But lately, I'm beginning to think that not only will Romney win, but it might not even be as close as we think. When I go to websites, I don't just read the stories. I also read through a lot of the comments. You know what you're going to get on left-leaning or right-leaning sites. But I've noticed a trend on "neutral" sites ... a lot of dissatisfaction with Obama. From what I've seen on "neutral" sites, the anti-Obama comments far outnumber the pro-Obama comments. So either there's a lot more anti-Obama people out there, or they're just more vocal.

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

I agree. Not long ago, I had no doubt that Obama would win. But lately, I'm beginning to think that not only will Romney win, but it might not even be as close as we think. When I go to websites, I don't just read the stories. I also read through a lot of the comments. You know what you're going to get on left-leaning or right-leaning sites. But I've noticed a trend on "neutral" sites ... a lot of dissatisfaction with Obama. From what I've seen on "neutral" sites, the anti-Obama comments far outnumber the pro-Obama comments. So either there's a lot more anti-Obama people out there, or they're just more vocal.
    Boy I hope you're right.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Boy I hope you're right.
    Yeah, me too. I'm not a big fan of Romney, but I fear what our country could look like after another four years of Obama. I'm tired of having to choose between the lesser of two evils, but this time, I think there's a large difference in degree of evil between the two candidates.

Normally I would agree with you. But Suit was out of control and gave the moderators no choice but to ban him. I just think it's a shame that he couldn't control himself better because he brought a lot to the board.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
    It's a coin flip election in my opinion. I wouldn't bet the house on either of them.

Normally I would agree with you. But Suit was out of control and gave the moderators no choice but to ban him. I just think it's a shame that he couldn't control himself better because he brought a lot to the board.
    Not much more needs said beyond that. In my opinion, you nailed it, zu.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Whoever started this thread is a trouble maker and should be banned.
    All Defense!