Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce Arians not overly concerned about Clay Matthews

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Bruce Arians not overly concerned about Clay Matthews

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...headline_stack

INDIANAPOLIS -- Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews tends to draw extra attention on a weekly basis. Straight double teams. Chips from tight ends and backs. Anything to slow down the long-haired whirling dervish.

Interim coach Bruce Arians said his Indianapolis Colts can't sacrifice offensive options to solely focus on Matthews.

"You can get overwhelmed trying to chip and help and do things that I call butt nug," Arians said. "You're all blocked up and there's nowhere to throw the ball. You've got to have guys go out.

"I don't think you can overly concern yourself with a guy. You challenge who's blocking him because they move him all around. It's not going to be Anthony Castonzo the whole game. He's going to be inside putting spin moves on whoever is playing guard, he's going to be on the right side. You say you can account for him, but he's not where you put him and you're over there chipping someone who doesn't need to be chipped.

"Get your guys out, let the quarterback read his patterns and play football."

Arians compared it to his time spent in Cleveland as offensive coordinator from 2001 to 2003. He learned a lesson trying to block Jevon Kearse and Kevin Carter.

"We tried to put a tight end on one and a halfback on the other and we got sacked about eight times," Arians said. "Then we went empty, spread out and threw it quick, we got hit a couple times, but we beat them."

Aaron Rodgers

Matthews, surely, welcomes the challenge. He ranks No. 2 in the NFL with seven sacks and is the favorite in most one-on-one matchups.

Arians' decision is a bold one considering the line has been the weak link of the Colts' offense. The unit has allowed just five sacks, but much of that is because of Andrew Luck's ability to avoid them. It doesn't help that center Samson Satele has a bad left knee and hasn't been able to finish the last two games.

The Matthews dynamic will be one to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Re: Bruce Arians not overly concerned about Clay Matthews

LOL well that would explain all the long developing pass plays against the likes of teams with great pass rushers while he was here
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Of course he isn't worried about Matthews, he's an idiot

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

Arians is a complete dumbass. Yeah, let's not worry about a guy with seven sacks.

Senior Member Array title="GodfatherofSoul is a jewel in the rough"> GodfatherofSoul's Avatar

Clay matthews; 3 sack game and rapes Luck behind the hot dog stand during half-time.

Quote Originally Posted by GodfatherofSoul View Post
    Clay matthews; 3 sack game and rapes Luck behind the hot dog stand during half-time.
    Clay Matthew IS the hot dog stand

Then we went empty, spread out and threw it quick,
    Funny how most people tend to miss the details. So, if that was his plan since the Browns, and if WRs have a route tree they run where they make decisions based on what they think the QB is thinking, should I even ask why plays were so long in developing? Maybe it was gasp! the QB.

If that is true, then I applaud the decision to remove Arians, because it meant that he was being overridden to much by Ben. Now there's a coach that won't allow that, and Ben's numbers are going up.

Funny thing though. In the past, the Steelers have been the team to put pressure consistently on a QB. Anyone remember how the Patriots kept beating us after the video tapes were destroyed? What's the known pattern for beating our team? That's right. Spread out the defense and throw short passes.

Right, Arians must be stupid.

Look, I could really careless about Arians per se, it's the continued perception that we as fans know better than coaches who have been involved in this game at that level for years, sometimes decades. I'll take my shots at both the OC and DC, never, will I think I know the game better than them.

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

When someone makes comments as stupid as what Arians has put on display, they have it coming. He's a dipshit. That's MY opinion, and the opinion of MANY others, including Colts fans.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

So This just proves the point that Arians doesn't learn from previous experiences. Lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Arians has always relied on complex crossing routes and the like to spring WR's loose, and those plays tend to take longer to develop. And, guess what? The Steelers actually knew that when they hired him. They DID gameplan against him, ergo they were completely cognizant of how his offense works. Same with Indy...who would know better about an Arians offense than Ravens DC Chuck Pagano.

This is lunacy...the same weak intellectually lazy arguments made by the same people over and over again...do you guys REALLY think you know more about football than the Rooney's? Cowher? Pagano? Jim Isray? Really? REALLY?
    Fire Goodell

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    do you guys REALLY think you know more about football than the Rooney's? Cowher? Pagano? Jim Isray? Really? REALLY?
    Didn't Rooney kick Arians to the curb? Are YOU suggesting that YOU know more than Rooney?

Getting a job doesn't always prove that a coach is a genius. Idiot owners keep giving Norv Turner a job. Does this lead us to the conclusion that Turner is a fantastic head coach?

Jim Isray is a dumb ass.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Same Brucie who decided that it was much better to have a passing game plan against cleaveland when they had the worst rushing D in the league in a game where the wind was strong and did not favor a passing game. BTW we lost that game.

Same Brucie who states that when a player goes down we won't try to target his replacement.

As for the hire he was brought in as a QB coach and was later promoted to O.C. when Bill left and Mike came in. Kinda made sense when you have lost your O.C. to arizona, and had to find someone to replace him. Also the Rooney's were also the ones who got rid of him, guess they weren't as enamored with him as some on this board are. Rumor had it they were going to get rid of him just one year sooner, but that's just a rumor...I guess.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Same Brucie who decided that it was much better to have a passing game plan against cleaveland when they had the worst rushing D in the league in a game where the wind was strong and did not favor a passing game. BTW we lost that game.

Same Brucie who states that when a player goes down we won't try to target his replacement.

As for the hire he was brought in as a QB coach and was later promoted to O.C. when Bill left and Mike came in. Kinda made sense when you have lost your O.C. to arizona, and had to find someone to replace him. Also the Rooney's were also the ones who got rid of him, guess they weren't as enamored with him as some on this board are. Rumor had it they were going to get rid of him just one year sooner, but that's just a rumor...I guess.

Look, if they wouldn't have hired him from Cleveland after gameplanning against him for a couple years, you'd maybe have a point. And if they didn't PROMOTE him to OC, CLEARLY knowing who they had and what kind of offense he ran, you'd maybe have a point. And if they'd have FIRED him at any time along the way, you'd maybe have a point. What they did was not renew his contract. He was with the Steelers organization for SEVEN YEARS. If he was with them for, like, maybe two and he got fired, maybe you'd have a point. But you don't have a point.

These are all the same weak arguments being made over and over and over again. Saying dumb things a hundred times doesn't them any less dumb. And what is this sick obsession with every single move Arians makes anyways? He's gone...time to move on...
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I am just thankful that Airhead Arians is no longer holding this team back, and Indianapolis will be lucky to win two games with this moron as interim head coach

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

And what is this sick obsession with every single move Arians makes anyways? He's gone...time to move on...
    ROFLMAO!!! Thanks Suitanim you really made me laugh on that comment.

This coming from the same guy who injects brucie into threads that don't have even the most remote thing to do with him ie... the Redzone Defense thread.

And if they'd have FIRED him at any time along the way, you'd maybe have a point. What they did was not renew his contract.
    Semantics??? Basically the same thing Rooney's saying we don't want you any more it's time to move on. If it didn't basically mean the same thing you might have gotten a point.

And if they didn't PROMOTE him to OC, CLEARLY knowing who they had and what kind of offense he ran, you'd maybe have a point.
    As I stated they had to replace the O.C. because the one we had moved on, they gave him a shot. In the end they weren't happy so they decided to move on ie...not renew the contract. One thing about the Rooney's they don't fire um not renew contracts quickly. They gave him time to prove himself and they obviously were not impressed or he would still be here after all he gets along with Ben why else would you not want him here??? Guess he didn't pan out in their books either.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    As I stated they had to replace the O.C. because the one we had moved on, they gave him a shot. In the end they weren't happy so they decided to move on ie...not renew the contract. One thing about the Rooney's they don't fire um not renew contracts quickly. They gave him time to prove himself and they obviously were not impressed or he would still be here after all he gets along with Ben why else would you not want him here??? Guess he didn't pan out in their books either.
    I find these utterly hilarious. Let's look at the facts, shall we?

1. The LONGEST tenure for an offensive coordinator in Pittsburgh is held by . . . wait for it . . . Bruce Arians.
    2. The LONGEST tenure of any OC in the AFL until this year was . . . wait for it again . . . Bruce Arians.
    3. The third longest active tenure of any OC in the NFL was, yes, that's right, Bruce Arians.

Say what you want, but that's NOT "Giving him a shot" until they decided "they obviously were not impressed" so "he didn't pan out in their books."

Seven years. That's a LONG time to keep making a mistake over and over again especially considering there was a promotion in there. One might actually think there was deliberate intention here....

I'm done arguing about this. Time to let it go. What I said in the other thread was a joke...the unhealthy obsession with Arians by others (several in this thread I have on ignore, so I can only speculate) is deadly serious.
    Fire Goodell

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I find these utterly hilarious. Let's look at the facts, shall we?

1. The LONGEST tenure for an offensive coordinator in Pittsburgh is held by . . . wait for it . . . Bruce Arians.
    2. The LONGEST tenure of any OC in the AFL until this year was . . . wait for it again . . . Bruce Arians.
    3. The third longest active tenure of any OC in the NFL was, yes, that's right, Bruce Arians.

Say what you want, but that's NOT "Giving him a shot" until they decided "they obviously were not impressed" so "he didn't pan out in their books."
    As has been stated, the Rooney's don't make changes quickly.

And saying that Arians was the longest-tenured OC in the NFL isn't exactly a sign of success. The really good OCs get head-coaching gigs. How many head-coaching jobs did Arians interview for while on the Steelers staff?

With that said, I don't blame Arians for ALL of our past offensive struggles. Just most of them.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Like all Arians' threads, I expect this one to hit 1000 pages........

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

He almost sounds like Rex Ryan.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="XxKnightxX has a spectacular aura about"> XxKnightxX's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
    As has been stated, the Rooney's don't make changes quickly.

And saying that Arians was the longest-tenured OC in the NFL isn't exactly a sign of success. The really good OCs get head-coaching gigs. How many head-coaching jobs did Arians interview for while on the Steelers staff?

With that said, I don't blame Arians for ALL of our past offensive struggles. Just most of them.
    Been busy with other stuff and just checked back on this thread. Couldn't have stated it better myself.

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    Seven years. That's a LONG time to keep making a mistake over and over again especially considering there was a promotion in there. One might actually think there was deliberate intention here....

I'm done arguing about this. Time to let it go. What I said in the other thread was a joke...the unhealthy obsession with Arians by others (several in this thread I have on ignore, so I can only speculate) is deadly serious.
    While we all understand it was a joke the fact that you even brought it up in a thread totally un-related shows who has the obsession.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

That's just as ridiculous as most of the rest of the trash in this thread. I mocked foolish people with that joke...this is serious business to people like you though. It's.......disturbing.

People, LET IT GO. Arians is gone. We have a new OC now! We get it...you didn't like him...and you predicted his firing year after year after year after year after year. Why do you care what he does now? Please, let it go...walk away from the Arians post...walk away from the Arians post. Nothing to see here, move along...
    Fire Goodell

This thread is too funny. The really good OC's always leave after a couple years, and it's only the bad ones that stay on for five years. Wow, so the Rooney's are basically a social-welfare plan for OC's that can't get a head coaching job. Makes you wonder how they have 6 SB wins with ownership that inept, doesn't it?

Listening/watching Steelers fans discuss offenses and OC's is like watching monkeys try to use a calculator. It's always good for a laugh...
    Fire Goodell

this is serious business to people like you though. It's.......disturbing.
    Serious business and disturbing??? Who's the one who constantly brings it up??? All joking aside you bring him up more often than any other person on this board jokingly or otherwise. If anyone has an un-healthy obsession it's you. Seriously heed your own advise and simply walk away. I honestly don't think you can.