Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bruce Arians not overly concerned about Clay Matthews

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Bruce Arians not overly concerned about Clay Matthews

despite the 1-2 record of steelers nobody has criticized Haley right now in this forum!

In fact, this is the first time since a very long time that Lebeau is more criticize than the OC of the steelers!

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    despite the 1-2 record of steelers nobody has criticized Haley right now in this forum!

In fact, this is the first time since a very long time that Lebeau is more criticize than the OC of the steelers!
    That's not surprising, given that we were told by the board "intelligentsia" (and I literally could not be more sarcastic when I use that term)the last few years that it's not if you win or lose, it's how many points you score.
    Fire Goodell

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    This thread is too funny. The really good OC's always leave after a couple years, and it's only the bad ones that stay on for five years. Wow, so the Rooney's are basically a social-welfare plan for OC's that can't get a head coaching job. Makes you wonder how they have 6 SB wins with ownership that inept, doesn't it?
    It doesn't hurt when you consistently have a top-5 defense to cover for an ineffective offense. Just look at the two games against the Browns last year. Arians' offense managed to put up a whopping 14 and 13 points. Luckily, the defense held the Browns to 3 and 9 points, or we would have lost both games to one of the worst teams in the league.

The Steelers are the best organization in the NFL. Period. But that doesn't mean that they ALWAYS make the right decision. Regardless of what some Steelers fans might think, the front office isn't infallible. I'm sure we both could come up with examples of past mistakes. I'll start with not getting rid of Arians sooner.

The big problem I have sometimes is that you put the name of Arians on several thread even when it not speaks of Arians in this thread...This joke is very old and it is not even funny...This is not funny

This is very frustrating and I was very frustrated when you put Arians in the thread of the red zone defense

it's derailed a thread and this is very frustrating

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Arians isn't nearly as bad as people say. He's not nearly as good as Suit thinks. He's average at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

This thread is too funny. The really good OC's always leave after a couple years, and it's only the bad ones that stay on for five years. Wow, so the Rooney's are basically a social-welfare plan for OC's that can't get a head coaching job. Makes you wonder how they have 6 SB wins with ownership that inept, doesn't it?
    So you wanna talk about facts here's a couple for ya'.

1. Fact Same ownership that hired him fired him. (didn't renew his contract for those in de-nile).

2. Fact we won a Superbowl with Mitch Berger as our punter.

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    So you wanna talk about facts here's a couple for ya'.

1. Fact Same ownership that hired him fired him. (didn't renew his contract for those in de-nile).

2. Fact we won a Superbowl with Mitch Berger as our punter.
    Correct.

Having a great quarterback greatly increases your odds of winning a Super Bowl. The Ravens won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer. I'm not ready to argue that Dilfer was a great, or even good, quarterback. It's safe to say that the Ravens won in spite of Dilfer. And I don't think it's a stretch to say that the Steelers won a Super Bowl in spite of Arians.

I know there are fans who hated discussing Arians when he was actually a part of the team, so I know that they have absolutely no desire to discuss him now that he's gone. But apparently, some of us don't mind talking about him even now. I checked the CoC ... there's no rule that says everyone (and that includes Suit) has to read and respond to every thread.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
    Correct.

Having a great quarterback greatly increases your odds of winning a Super Bowl. The Ravens won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer. I'm not ready to argue that Dilfer was a great, or even good, quarterback. It's safe to say that the Ravens won in spite of Dilfer. And I don't think it's a stretch to say that the Steelers won a Super Bowl in spite of Arians.

I know there are fans who hated discussing Arians when he was actually a part of the team, so I know that they have absolutely no desire to discuss him now that he's gone. But apparently, some of us don't mind talking about him even now. I checked the CoC ... there's no rule that says everyone (and that includes Suit) has to read and respond to every thread.
    So...by using this brilliant statement, you are saying that Arians probably didn't have anything to do with the Steelers' last drive of Superbowl 43? Wasn't it the defense that shit the bed and almost cost us the game?
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by msafford View Post
    So...by using this brilliant statement, you are saying that Arians probably didn't have anything to do with the Steelers' last drive of Superbowl 43? Wasn't it the defense that shit the bed and almost cost us the game?
    You mean the same Defense that got us to the Superbowl that year??? Remember the game against Dallas??? D got turn over after turnover early in the game but late in the game we were down by 7. Yeah the Offense finally came to life but it was the D that sealed it with a pick 6.

How bout Troy's Int. that sealed the win in the championship???

Also in 43 wasn't it the Defense that saved the Offense at the 1/2??? How many times did the D rise up only to have a let down by the O??? Go back and watch the game if you can. I have it on DVD watch it all the time. Lot's of stops by the D and the O just stagnated. So while you may think it was the D that shit the bed don't forget the safety and other miscues by the Offense that set up the D's shitting of the bed. There was lots of shitting on all sides I'm sure there were plenty of fans shitting too. I know that's a lot of shit to sift through but you know shit happens!!!

Quote Originally Posted by msafford View Post
    Correct. They were in no huddle.

Correct. They were in no huddle.
    Aint that some shit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Aint that some shit!!!
    I'm trying to remember how awesome the offense looked before going no huddle. You know ... when the genius was calling the plays.

All sarcasm aside, I don't think Arians was horrible. He's just an average OC. Actually, he's got a good offensive mind, but his stubbornness and arrogance always gets in the way.

I'm trying to remember how awesome the offense looked before going no huddle. You know ... when the genius was calling the plays.

All sarcasm aside, I don't think Arians was horrible. He's just an average OC. Actually, he's got a good offensive mind, but his stubbornness and arrogance always gets in the way.
    I can agree with that assesment.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Just look at him...lol...that guy is arrogant...

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

Of course Suit is going into damage control. This is an NFL thread in the NFL forum, and that's why we're discussing it. If seeing opinions against your favorite Offensive Coordinator hurts, stay away from the thread, or at the very LEAST try and contribute to the discussion....

I happen to believe Arians had a good offensive gameplan, but failed MISERABLY when it came to using it.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

I find these utterly hilarious. Let's look at the facts, shall we?

1. The LONGEST tenure for an offensive coordinator in Pittsburgh is held by . . . wait for it . . . Bruce Arians.
    2. The LONGEST tenure of any OC in the AFL until this year was . . . wait for it again . . . Bruce Arians.
    3. The third longest active tenure of any OC in the NFL was, yes, that's right, Bruce Arians.

Say what you want, but that's NOT "Giving him a shot" until they decided "they obviously were not impressed" so "he didn't pan out in their books."
    If his tenure included the likes of kordell, cassel or sanchez he would not of made it 3 years. Ben' mobility and arm strength bailed him out for a few more seasons.

BUT if his long tenure proves so much, it proves this....NO ONE WANTED to hire him AWAY from us. MANY MANY O coord go on to be HCs long before they would get fired. You really did plan that into your stat.
    Merry Christmas

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Correct me if I'm a stray here, but this thread would mostly be dead on page one if the 2 who insist we should drop it had never posted.
    Merry Christmas

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Arians isn't nearly as bad as people say. He's not nearly as good as Suit thinks. He's average at best.
    Correction: All I've ever maintained was that he was good. NOT GREAT. He's a good coordinator. Any other interpretation is based on bias or bending facts by people desperately trying to win an un-winnable debate. These are the same people who use ridiculous pejorative terms like "Arians is an idiot". Which is preposterous.
    Fire Goodell

He's obviously not an idiot and I didn't say you said he was great.

He's obviously not an idiot and I didn't say you said he was great.
    My point is that every single data-point and piece of empirical evidence points directly to my assessment of him being completely accurate. It's the haters who are "off" my either not giving him enough credit, or, as the truly less astute usually do, simply dismissing him as a fool that are wrong.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Clay Matthews with a Sack Forced fumble today. Yeah. Shouldn't be too concerned with him.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

They scored more points than we did today. Just sayin'...

Edit: And, oddly enough, they're now 2-2 as well...

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    They scored more points than we did today. Just sayin'...

Edit: And, oddly enough, they're now 2-2 as well...
    The Colts also played against one of the worst defenses in the game. We played against a pretty good defense.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    The Colts also played against one of the worst defenses in the game. We played against a pretty good defense.
    Packers were ranked 9th in total defense before today, while the Eagles were ranked 6th.

Packers were ranked 9th in total defense before today, while the Eagles were ranked 6th.
    The QB that the packers and eagles have played this year

Packers:Alex Smith(great game of Smith vs packers),Cutler(average),Wilson(3rd round rookie),Brees(420 yards vs GB)

Eagles:Weeden(sucks),Flacco(top 12 QB),Kolb(bad game for the eagles),Eli(2 time super bowl champions and good game for the eagles defense)

Giving credit where credit is due. Congrats to Arians and the entire Colts team for beating a tough Packers team in what had to be an unbelievably emotional game.

And the Steelers were 5th...just saying...

And the Steelers were 5th...just saying...
    My bad - I keep forgetting that rankings only matter when the Steelers are 21st in scoring offense...

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I wasn't aware of the rankings. Thanks for the info. IMO, it seems that the Packers D still allows opponents to run all over them. Clay Matthews is having a better year, but is anyone on their D?

My bad - I keep forgetting that rankings only matter when the Steelers are 21st in scoring offense...
    Either that, or when stats point out a long tenure, it means your horrible and nobody wants you. Kind of like those long runs.

EDIT: Just realized why NCsteeler was mad at me.

I somehow encouraged Bayz to start this thread and then strategically posted at the exact right time to keep everyone talking about Arians. That's downright hilarious.