Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It finally happened

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: It finally happened

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Judgement call? Judge this then.

Tate had possession of Jennings' neck. If that's the rule then I stand corrected.
    They still have to make a judgment call. Would I judge it the same way they did? Probably not.

But you know what, I don't have much respect for any Packers fan complaining that "OMG the refs cost us the game!" No. You know what really cost you the game? Not making a first down. Or giving Seattle great field position by forcing a rushed end zone punt, instead of taking the safety and kicking off, which gave away AT LEAST 15 yards right there, maybe 30-plus. Or for that matter, you lost by not getting the ball across midfield more than three times in the entire game.

If you want to complain about the referees costing you the game, you'd better have done everything pretty damn close to perfectly before you point that finger. Fact is, Green Bay had plenty of chances to win the game, but they didn't, because they flat-out didn't move the ball well and didn't execute at key times. Neither did Seattle, so it wasn't for a lack of opportunity. Boo-hoo, go home and bitch to yourselves.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

They just keep coming......

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

For Roger G. and the replacement refs.

All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Roger Goodell@RogGoodellthinking about paying the refs ... got a call into the Patriots for some advice on how it's done

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I am still waiting for Belichek to be suspended for grabbing a ref. It is his second offense and he deserves a suspension. If he is not suspended, then consider the NFL a washed up crooked game.
    All Defense!

member since day 1 Array title="7SteelGal43 is a name known to all"> 7SteelGal43's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post

Judgement call? Judge this then.

Tate had possession of Jennings' neck. If that's the rule then I stand corrected.

OK, this view makes me sicker than I was last night after watching this live. Not to mention OFFENSIVE PASS INTERFERENCE ! The PACK got bent over and Goodell can get bent ! !
    Stay classy, leftnutz

member since day 1 Array title="7SteelGal43 is a name known to all"> 7SteelGal43's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post

this might actually be an improvement !
    Stay classy, leftnutz

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    They still have to make a judgment call. Would I judge it the same way they did? Probably not.

But you know what, I don't have much respect for any Packers fan complaining that "OMG the refs cost us the game!" No. You know what really cost you the game? Not making a first down. Or giving Seattle great field position by forcing a rushed end zone punt, instead of taking the safety and kicking off, which gave away AT LEAST 15 yards right there, maybe 30-plus. Or for that matter, you lost by not getting the ball across midfield more than three times in the entire game.

If you want to complain about the referees costing you the game, you'd better have done everything pretty damn close to perfectly before you point that finger. Fact is, Green Bay had plenty of chances to win the game, but they didn't, because they flat-out didn't move the ball well and didn't execute at key times. Neither did Seattle, so it wasn't for a lack of opportunity. Boo-hoo, go home and bitch to yourselves.

ordinarily, i would agree with you, steel, but there are no two ways about it. the packers did everything they needed to do to win the game. they were up with 4 seconds to go, they intercepted the hail mary. it's not even a judgement call...it's a fact. the refs cost the Pack this game, the Pack did not cost the pack this game.
    Stay classy, leftnutz

and yes steel, the Pack and it's fans have every right to bitch/moan/complain/whine about this one. and if i was a seahawks fan, i'd would be so ashamed to call that a win.
    Stay classy, leftnutz

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ights-debacle/

i should have known! is this a bit of payback for XL??? Didnt he say a few years ago he messed up to the whinhawk fans??

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    I am still waiting for Belichek to be suspended for grabbing a ref. It is his second offense and he deserves a suspension. If he is not suspended, then consider the NFL a washed up crooked game.
    Yes, I'd like to hear the (non) punishment for Bellicheat.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 7SteelGal43 View Post
    ordinarily, i would agree with you, steel, but there are no two ways about it. the packers did everything they needed to do to win the game. they were up with 4 seconds to go, they intercepted the hail mary. it's not even a judgement call...it's a fact. the refs cost the Pack this game, the Pack did not cost the pack this game.
    If they did everything they needed to win the game, then why did Seattle even have the ball back with a chance to win? They played a poor game and paid the price for it. Yes, the final blow was a piece of bad luck that wasn't their fault, but there were about five or six bad plays and bad moves leading up to it that had nothing to do with the officiating. They had multiple chances to put the game away and make the refs a non-factor. IMO if you played the whole game and only scored 12 points, you have to accept some of the blame for even making it possible that one bad break would kill you.

PS - Everyone's calling it a "Hail Mary," but I hardly think a 22-yard pass counts as a Hail Mary except that whatzizface ran backwards about 20 yards before he chucked it up in the air.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I'm already sick of hearing from all of the whining Seasquack fans crying about the Super Bowl again. Pretty funny when they try to say that "the refs later admitted that they messed up". LOL! Yea, that's what happened. Funny how much your reality gets warped by the things that you hear people say.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Yeah, now they're boo-hooing about the media:

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?p=707918#p707918

'Scuse me? The Steelers have NEVER been given ANY credit for winning that game by the media. EVER. Not only that, but specifically because of all the media whining and bellyaching after that game, the Steelers have been accused of paying off the refs for basically every fucking game they've won since.

Time to change the tampon, Sally.
    Wow.... In a way, I'm completely shocked at how naive these people are. Then again, I'm not shocked at how much of whiners they are. They have always acted like they do absolutely nothing wrong and that the NFL is out to get them. To add to this, they all act like nothing is wrong with last nights win. They feel that they won fair and square. Well, you didn't.

About SB40, the Steelers have never been given credit for that win. Never. There was so much backlash after that by the national media it wasn't even funny. Then, to read that thread about SB40 and the national media just leaves me speechless. I have absolutely no respect for Seattle fans. There was a reason why you all were rated the worst sports city in the country...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

if the seahawks fan would be smart ,they would admit that the 2005 season was a fluke for Seattle...A very easy schedule and the NFC was very weak in 2005

This is not surprising that the seahawks were bad in adversity in the Super Bowl....The top two teams in 2005 were the steelers and the colts

The seahawks were just lucky in 2005

look at the teams that the seahawks have beaten in 2005

They beat the Colts, but Manning played only in the first quarter, they beat the giants, but Jay Feeley missed 3 winning three field goal and they were lucky to beat the 9-7 Cowboys

The other 10 wins were against the very mediocre teams like the cardinals(5-11)twice, the 49ers(4-12)twice, the rams(6-10)twice, titans(4-12), texans(2-14), eagles(6-10) and the falcons(8-8)

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

I know I'm way late into the thread and I don't really want to start a three day debate over it. But I'll say a couple things.

That call is really tough to make in real time. Obviously, it's their job to make the call, but there are a lot of bodies in one space. In real time, I don't think any of us knew what had happened. Plus, I think that the call is closer than most claim. From my understanding of the rule, Jennings doesn't have a "catch" until he hits the ground (complete the catch) and by that point, Tate gets his arms around the ball. So the initial "possession" where Jennings has it by himself doesn't count.

I just heard on Sportscenter that the ref that had access to all the replays and I guess helped in determining the call in the booth (simultaneous possession is reviewable, contrary to initial reports. If the catch happens in the end zone, it is something that can be looked at) is a ref who has been with the league for over 10 years and NOT a replacement ref. So a guy with a ton of experience is saying that there isn't enough information to overturn the call.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    I know I'm way late into the thread and I don't really want to start a three day debate over it. But I'll say a couple things.

That call is really tough to make in real time. Obviously, it's their job to make the call, but there are a lot of bodies in one space. In real time, I don't think any of us knew what had happened. Plus, I think that the call is closer than most claim. From my understanding of the rule, Jennings doesn't have a "catch" until he hits the ground (complete the catch) and by that point, Tate gets his arms around the ball. So the initial "possession" where Jennings has it by himself doesn't count.

I just heard on Sportscenter that the ref that had access to all the replays and I guess helped in determining the call in the booth (simultaneous possession is reviewable, contrary to initial reports. If the catch happens in the end zone, it is something that can be looked at) is a ref who has been with the league for over 10 years and NOT a replacement ref. So a guy with a ton of experience is saying that there isn't enough information to overturn the call.
    Your non-replacement ref with a ton of experience is the wonderful Phill Luckett who has his hands on more NFL blunders than any other ref.
    Merry Christmas

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Here's a question , How long before replacement refs start quitting? Now their names are getting published their back rounds looked into, that's a lot of pressure. Apparently the guy who made the Seahawks call was turned down at a Division 1 reffing acadamy and people who coached him said he didn't even want to do the NFL games to start with.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1168310

run off from the lingerie league , scrapping the bottom of the barrel
    Merry Christmas

Here's a question , How long before replacement refs start quitting? Now their names are getting published their back rounds looked into, that's a lot of pressure. Apparently the guy who made the Seahawks call was turned down at a Division 1 reffing acadamy and people who coached him said he didn't even want to do the NFL games to start with.

Haha some of these refs even got run off from the Lingerie League, what a joke.
    Merry Christmas

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

I don't know all the where for's of the play, but I do know that this is getting a lot of bad press. This could push us close to a deal with the real ref's.

AML

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

They were negotiating until 2 am this morning and will be meeting again today. Let's hope they get something done.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

The real refs want a pension. League owners (and, believe me, they are the ONLY people Goodell answers to) want 401k's instead. Goodell desperately wants to show his masters that he's a tough pitbull type of negotiator, so he has no reason to give in.

Mind you, the pensions are simply something the refs ALREADY HAVE. this isn't new, this is an extension of what they already have.

Math time. The cost? Three million a year. In a league that generates 9 billion a year, and PROFITED 984 million last year. This is less then 1/3rd of 1% of the PROFIT, 1/30th of 1% of the total revenue.
    Fire Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post

run off from the lingerie league , scrapping the bottom of the barrel
    Dear god! What happened to #20? She looks like her torso got caught in an offset printing press, or one of those old-time laundry wringers.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="GodfatherofSoul is a jewel in the rough"> GodfatherofSoul's Avatar

Rough calculation w/o all the hard data. I heard there are ~120 refs, each getting $33,000 a game for 17 weeks; assuming playoff bonus salaries work out to about the same as the bye weeks where some refs aren't working, that's about $70 million a year in ref salaries.

The refs are asking for additional benefits that work out to $30 million more a year and the owners are willing to shell out an extra $20 million. Refs make ~$500K a season not counting post-season games and the bye. Ownership was trying to put in place performance-based incentives which didn't seem very practical, but can't say I have much sympathy for the zebras. They were getting a pension for a part-time job as well. I'd say the refs are the ones who need to sacrifice that extra $10 million, lose the incentive ideas, and make a deal.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GodfatherofSoul View Post
    Rough calculation w/o all the hard data. I heard there are ~120 refs, each getting $33,000 a game for 17 weeks; assuming playoff bonus salaries work out to about the same as the bye weeks where some refs aren't working, that's about $70 million a year in ref salaries.

The refs are asking for additional benefits that work out to $30 million more a year and the owners are willing to shell out an extra $20 million. Refs make ~$500K a season not counting post-season games and the bye. Ownership was trying to put in place performance-based incentives which didn't seem very practical, but can't say I have much sympathy for the zebras. They were getting a pension for a part-time job as well. I'd say the refs are the ones who need to sacrifice that extra $10 million, lose the incentive ideas, and make a deal.
    What I read and heard was this: The bottom line is about 3 million a season the NFL would have to invest to fund these pensions. They'll conceded everything else, but they want pensions, not 401k's. I've heard the 30 million number, but that doesn't make sense, because pension funds are annuities and don't have to be fully funded up front, since these are interest bearing products that take as long as 20-30 years to mature.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

From Adam Schefter:

As @mortreport is reporting, an agreement between NFL and NFLRA is at hand and both sides will work to have officials working this weekend.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/84...y-week-sources

Won't be this weekend even if they do strike a compromise. It says right in the article it'll take a week.

If they DO strike a deal, it will be very odd to see officials get the imminent standing ovations they'll receive in every stadium their first Sunday back. That honeymoon, however, will be over quicker than the Todd Haley one did.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    For Roger G. and the replacement refs.

Glen Gary Glen Ross if I'm not mistaken. Great movie.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood