Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign OT Jones

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

Steelers sign OT Jones

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...e-6bed0e63e02e

The Steelers added depth to their offensive line today when they signed six-year veteran Adrian Jones. Financial terms of the one-year contract were not disclosed.

Jones (6-4, 330) was originally drafted by the New York Jets in the fourth round (132nd overall) in the 2004 NFL Draft out of Kansas. Jones started 44 games for the Jets from 2004-07 before being waived late in the 2007 season. He was then signed by the Kansas City Chiefs and started 10 games in 2008 at guard. Jones was signed by the Houston Texans during the 2009 offseason but was released.

To make room for Jones on the roster, the Steelers placed veteran offensive tackle Willie Colon on their Reserve/Injured List. Colon suffered an Achilles injury last month and had season-ending surgery.

-----------------------------------

I dont mind this signing...I'm sure it didnt break the bank and its a guy with starting experience...could be used as a BU for the year (if he even makes the team).

Fourth String Quarterback Array title="xX-TSK-Xx "> xX-TSK-Xx's Avatar

Re: Steelers sign OT Jones

Seems like more of a journeyman signed as a camp body or at most to add some depth to the tackle position.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

If he starts, I hope he is good, I've never really heard about the guy.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

yaayy.....

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

nice signing... the guy has starting experience and will likely be a backup for us. had to bring in somebody i guess

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

I like the fact they are bringing in a guy to at least compete....you never know when you find someone who turns out pretty good.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

AKA Bullet Tooth Tony Array title="tony hipchest will become famous soon enough">

this says alot about flozell adams.

Latin Steel Array title="SMR has a spectacular aura about"> SMR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
    this says alot about flozell adams.
    Sure does.
    WE are the NFL's All-Time Dynasty!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Who?? Better off paying Flozell Adams, a former pro bowler, than signing this nobody. Since this guy apparently hasn't been good enough to stay on some teams even the chiefs. he probably isn't as good as Flozell even with Flozell at 35

Do no harm - take no shit Array title="Killer is on a distinguished road"> Killer's Avatar

'desperate times call for desperate measures'

gotta do something

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Who?? Better off paying Flozell Adams, a former pro bowler, than signing this nobody. Since this guy apparently hasn't been good enough to stay on some teams even the chiefs. he probably isn't as good as Flozell even with Flozell at 35
    You're forgetting the fact that Jones is significantly younger than the aging Adams; therefore there is more room and time for improvement for Jones. It can't hurt. I personally think its worth a gamble.

Senior Member Array title="MULLDOG24 is an unknown quantity at this point">

As mentioned above it couldn't hurt to bring in someone to compete. At least it is for the RT spot and not LT.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Camp body, who knows maybe he sticks. I'd rather have him than Flozell "The Penalty" Adams I guess.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Steel Nerd Array title="Steely McSmash is an unknown quantity at this point">

According to the PG and Dale Lolley he's a guard not a tackle. might be an upgrade at backup I guess.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by SMR View Post
    You're forgetting the fact that Jones is significantly younger than the aging Adams; therefore there is more room and time for improvement for Jones. It can't hurt. I personally think its worth a gamble.
    No I didn't seeing as how I stated his age

No I didn't seeing as how I stated his age
    I stand by what I said, but I do respect your opinion.

P.S. There's just nothing better than being a Steelers fan, whoo hoo!

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SMR View Post
    He's been in the league for 6 years....he's not gonna get any better unless he's one of the rare ones.

Ben's Wingman Array title="Merchant has a spectacular aura about"> Merchant's Avatar

Flozell probably wanted too much for a guy who's on the decline, takes too many penalties, and doesn't exactly have the greatest attitude.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

He is this year's Alex Stepanovich. Just brought in a little bit earlier.

Shenaniguy Array title="kmsteelerwr15 is on a distinguished road"> kmsteelerwr15's Avatar

I don't have a problem with the signing. It's someone to bring in for depth or just a training camp body and you never know, he could end up turning some heads.

Quest For 7 Array title="steelpride12 is a splendid one to behold"> steelpride12's Avatar

Hey ill take it. Just bringing guys in to compete for a roster spot, he brings a veteran presence and is going to be much cheaper than a dried up 35 year old Adams!
    Missing you every day, thinking about the memories every moment, loving you every second Mom ♥ R.I.P. 1951-2011

"When you go out on the field and you're intense for 60 minutes, some guys don't want to do it. When I line up across from him, he has to do one of two things, he has to raise his level of play, or he's going to get his *** kicked all day"

- Greg Lloyd

Do no harm - take no shit Array title="Killer is on a distinguished road"> Killer's Avatar

If you get cut by the Chiefs and Texans I'm pretty sure you're already in the camp meat aisle.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I don't doubt the Steelers for signing a "nobody". Key Fox and Mewelde Moore were good pickups. The F.O. does a good job finding "nobodies" (except Sean Mahan = just got a bad taste in my mouth).

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

I would rather have him then Adams like stated above Adams probably wanted to much money and if my memory serves me right Adams has an attitude problem.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Just on first impressions... He looks like he could hurt somebody.

then again... He really could have.

Jones arrested for drunk driving

but that was 2006, so the man could have changed plenty since then.

I would feel more justified with this signing if I didnt have the fear that Legursky might be cut if this cat makes the team. I think that we need Legursky to be Pounceys back up next year, he knows the system and is versatile enough to play guard or center . But then again...maybe that is why Urbick is getting reps at center????
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Legursky is our best goal line blocking FB - we should keep him.

Member Array title="wootawnee is an unknown quantity at this point">

He played for terrible teams.......He could be good for us..........

Who can name me one o lineman who played for Detroit in the last 50 years?.......See what I mean.....

AKA Bullet Tooth Tony Array title="tony hipchest will become famous soon enough">

easy... jeff hartings

Name me someone on the OL for the Texans.....without looking