Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pouncey involved in NCAA probe

Pouncey involved in NCAA probe

Gators' Foley disputes allegation Pouncey took $100,000
    By DAVID JONES
    July 19, 2010

GAINESVILLE - Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley issued a statement on Monday confirming that the school has investigated an allegation that ex-Gator football player Maurkice Pouncey took $100,000 from someone affiliated in an agent while still at UF.

"We were made aware of some information in early June that we reported to law enforcement and we then shared with the NCAA and the SEC," Foley said in a statement. "At this time we have no information that has indicated that there are any compliance issues for the University of Florida."

Pouncey won the Rimington Award as the nation's top center in 2009. He elected to turn pro after his junior season and was a first-round draft pick of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Twin brother Mike elected to stay in school for his senior year rather than leave early.

Lisa Webster, the mother of the Pounceys, did not immediately return messages seeking comment.

The claim, which came to the school in letter form but was not signed, is that Pouncey took the money after the Gators' loss to Alabama in the SEC title game and before the Sugar Bowl win against Cincinnati.

Also at issue is whether or not an agent, or a representative, was recruiting Pouncey while not being registered in the state of Florida. Agents have had to register with the state since an incident in the late 1990s in which Tank Blank allegedly paid several UF players while still playing for the Gators.

If the NCAA finds Pouncey took money from an agent, UF could have to vacate the victory.

Agent activities have been a hot item in recent days. North Carolina announced last week that an NCAA investigation has been launched over an agent's possible involvement with several players.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/jul...news-breaking/
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

Re: Pouncey involved in NCAA probe

Ofcourse he is . Why wouldn't he be , lol.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

No big deal IMHO. If it turns out he did it, it's not going to affect his play for the Steelers which is what I care about. Possible penalties against UF? I don't really give a shit because I can't stand the Gators or their fans.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="XxKnightxX has a spectacular aura about"> XxKnightxX's Avatar

NCAA Investigating Florida Gators and Maurkice Pouncey over violations

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5392159

Reported by ESPN that allegedly an agency paid Pouncey 100k over his senior season. And our offseason just gets more dramatized, sucks for NCAA but theres not much they can do to Pouncey.

Senior Member Array title="MasterOfPuppets is on a distinguished road">

Re: NCAA Investigating Florida Gators and Maurkice Pouncey over violations

i'd love to see the gators hit with sanctions like usc. spill the beans pouncey ...

Senior Member Array title="Carolina Steelers has a spectacular aura about"> Carolina Steelers's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

To me its a big deal it shows what kind of person he is, if he illegally took money he knew it was wrong, it makes him no better than Reggie Bush!! If this turns out to be true maybe we shouldnt sign him like I said this just shows what kind of person he is I know this wont effect is NFL career but it still looks bad, the Steelers dont need this the bad offseason continues

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

What does this have to do with the Steelers?

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

He is about to be traded for a 5th round pick... It only makes sense.

Senior Member Array title="solardave is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by steeldevil View Post
    What does this have to do with the Steelers?
    NADA!!! We know his situation with his father. I'd have done the same thing. If it's true. The NCAA is beginning to look like Goodells gooones.

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

Did we bring a Bengal in to camp or something? What's with all the legal issues all of a sudden?

Meh, it's a NCAA issue anyway. Has nothing much to do with the Steelers.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Jesus Christ I hope this turns into nothing.

This is an ethics issue, and that cuts both ways.

First, ethics issues may be harbingers of bigger problems. I don't like that. If money makes a person make a decision against what has been established as right, then money can and probably will make a person do it again the next time. . . the second time is always easier than a first... and ethics is the core of any persons decision making.

Second, it is ethics. Every person I know, including me, has a lapse in ethics. It is what is done about it that tells the world what kind a man or woman a person is. While this is a line that is crossed, it is the easiest one to stay behind from that point on. As long as he starts believing in a better ethical standard, this no longer is an issue.

Of course... all of this is couched in a "IF this is true".

As far as it continuing a bad offseason... Naa. I don't think it really has any bearing on that. THis is nothing that will affect the team, or Pouncey from this point on. Heck, it might be good... if the agent is caught and busted, Pouncey may have to switch agents. That... may bode well for the STeelers as it may get a bad influence away from Pouncey.

Again . . . couched in ifs.

Senior Member Array title="BlastFurnace will become famous soon enough"> BlastFurnace's Avatar

Pouncey is going to skate through this, but what if his brother is involved too. Since he is at the same school his brother just graduated from, this could spell some trouble for little Pouncey.

Do no harm - take no shit Array title="Killer is on a distinguished road"> Killer's Avatar

I told you we should have taken Dez Bryant

Do no harm - take no shit Array title="Killer is on a distinguished road"> Killer's Avatar

I thought you were banned?

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

As long as he can block on the OL, who cares. Reggie Bush did way worse and it is practically forgotten with a SB win.
    All Defense!

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Worst case scenario is that Florida gets in trouble. Not us.

The investifation is still in the early stages so let's not make judgement on anyone's ethics just yet.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

All of this over an anonymous letter? This crap shouldn't even be reported unless if they have some evidence of a wrongdoing. I think I'll send an anonymous letter to Goodell stating that Tom Brady rapes little boys.

And yea, even if he's guilty, this means nothing to the Steelers.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Will this off season ever end? lol

Latin Steel Array title="SMR has a spectacular aura about"> SMR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheWarDen86 View Post
    Did we bring a Bengal in to camp or something? What's with all the legal issues all of a sudden?

Meh, it's a NCAA issue anyway. Has nothing much to do with the Steelers.
    true dat
    WE are the NFL's All-Time Dynasty!

Senior Member Array title="atlsteelers is an unknown quantity at this point">

i hope its true. just to screw the gators! although it does not reflect positively on pouncey.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I wonder if Goodell is going to suspend him for 4-6 games. I wonder if Colbert will trade him to a talented AFC team for nothing

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I figure this will have about the same effect on Pouncey's pro career as it's had on Reggie Bush's so far. Or in other words none whatsoever.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Latin Steel Array title="SMR has a spectacular aura about"> SMR's Avatar

This is utterly ridiculous
    WE are the NFL's All-Time Dynasty!

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    No reason to, he didn't put himself in two situations where someone could legitimate claim rape, nor did he fail 4 drug tests.
    And you know this because.....?

Anytime any man is behind closed doors alone with another person he to a point has put himself in a "legitimate claim rape" situation. So you know for a fact that Pouncey has never put himself in that situation? .

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10202/1074409-100.stm

btw Pouncey through his lawyer is denying this happened. He really has nothing to fear in the way of penalties if the story is true, so I'm leaning towards believing him at the moment. Probably someone with an axe to grind against Pouncy, his current representatives, or the Gators planted a lie for self serving reasons.