Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Obama: 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that."

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Re: Obama: 'If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that."

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    I can't speak for others, but i have been known to get pretty heated in personal face-to-face debates. If you say something that is either stupid or flat-out wrong, I figure I'm doing you a favor by pointing that out. Some opinions ARE wrong, after all...

I've gotten pretty heated myself in face to face discussions. My job in the military is pretty laid back, so I have a decent amount of free time at work. I spend hours researching all things political, like you suit, it's a passion of mine. PoliticS is a rough world to get into, filled with very smart people. The issues come up when not so intelligent people join the discussion who have no desire to learn facts and spout off false truths and talking points they heard on some news station. Then you have the people who are very smart but just refuse to listen to facts because of ideological opinions they have already formed. Those are the worst

By no means do I pretend to know all there is about politics, and probably never will. But I have definitely spent way more time buried in information than the average person. I think that should allow me to call someone an idiot if they are talking like one.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Me and Dom (Slrs4life) always get into in when we meet up in person. Occasionally, people "step-in" like we are going to end up in blows, but at the end of our debate we always have a beer together and talk Steelers football. Many, many of my friends are literally east coast liberals, and a couple are DC liberal lawyers. We debate pretty fiercely, but these dudes are fraternity buddies from college...in the end, it's all good.
    Fire Goodell

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hindes204 View Post
    I've gotten pretty heated myself in face to face discussions. My job in the military is pretty laid back, so I have a decent amount of free time at work. I spend hours researching all things political, like you suit, it's a passion of mine. PoliticS is a rough world to get into, filled with very smart people. The issues come up when not so intelligent people join the discussion who have no desire to learn facts and spout off false truths and talking points they heard on some news station. Then you have the people who are very smart but just refuse to listen to facts because of ideological opinions they have already formed. Those are the worst

By no means do I pretend to know all there is about politics, and probably never will. But I have definitely spent way more time buried in information than the average person. I think that should allow me to call someone an idiot if they are talking like one.
    And I'm allowed to tell someone they're being arrogant and condescending, and maybe they're not quite as smart as they think they are.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
    And I'm allowed to tell someone they're being arrogant and condescending, and maybe they're not quite as smart as they think they are.
    But are you right? Because this cuts both ways. You very much cherry picked one slice of this whole debate and gave Hindes credit for proving you wrong when 90% of the heavy lifting was already done by me. Your "smoking gun" was hatchet job by a hack website run by moonbats, and you quoted it as gospel truth. Your quotes were either mischaracterizations or taken completely out of context, and you used that garbage as the whole basis for your position. Then you get mad at me and try to discredit me because you don't like the way I post, and then go even further and show sour grapes by refusing to give me any credit!

It's quite comical because when you start losing in a debate, you always drift off into diversions or start posting about how the people who prove you wrong are mean or something. That's really not even relevant.
    Fire Goodell

However, it IS preferable to posting like Slash does when he's losing badly in a debate. He just claims that he won, even when he lost.
    Fire Goodell

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

EDIT: You're not worth it, suit.

"Handing me my ass"?

Oh my...you are as delusional as Slash!

In fact, you NEVER DID SOURCE YOUR QUOTES, I DID!

Your whole argument was based on "quotes" that weren't even real! I actually took the bait and argued against them, assuming they were correct and real, then I posted the hatchet trash that was the basis. Hindes did one thing only, he provided the context for the tiny bit from Fred Thompson at the end of the video propaganda you posted as fact.

Laughable! Hilarious farce! And you're buying into your own fabricated bullshit now...
    Fire Goodell

I edited my post, but you obviously saw my challenge. It still stands.

Stop taking credit away from Hindes. HE'S the one who showed me I was wrong. Go back and notice that EVERYONE gives him credit, not you. I know it pains you that Hindes was able to do what you weren't. Sorry, bro ... you're the one who is delusional.

Post 137 is the basis for your whole flawed argument...and i had already said earlier than when i tried to source your quotes, i came up with exactly ONE hit...which i then posted. All Hindes did was provide the context for the last bit of the long video of propaganda and lies you based your whole debate position upon. But you "handed me my ass".

Who's being arrogant and condescending now? On top of being 100% flat-out wrong AND committing the even worse sin of falling for internet clap-trap political garbage posing as fact.
    Fire Goodell

I give up. This is literally insanity...revisionist history...selective memory. I'm literally speechless...
    Fire Goodell

Post 137 is the basis for your whole flawed argument...and i had already said earlier than when i tried to source your quotes, i came up with exactly ONE hit...which i then posted. All Hindes did was provide the context for the last bit of the long video of propaganda and lies you based your whole debate position upon. But you "handed me my ass".

Who's being arrogant and condescending now? On top of being 100% flat-out wrong AND committing the even worse sin of falling for internet clap-trap political garbage posing as fact.
    The video you posted contained the exact quotes I posted, taken out of context. How did that do anything to prove me wrong? That video came from the same source that I got the quotes from. Then Hindes delivered the full text to prove the quotes were taken out of context. Again, stop trying to take credit away from Hindes. By your own admission, you couldn't find the evidence he posted.

And why is this even an issue? I said I was wrong ... I got fooled by quotes that were taken out of context. I'm sorry that I'm not perfect like you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
    Good job, Hindes. I stand corrected on this discussion.

Stop trying to pat yourself on the back. You said yourself that you couldn't find those quotes. You were arguing from the same place I was ... what you wanted to be right. But you didn't have any more evidence than I did until Hindes bailed you out.
    Oh, this whole post is a giant steaming pile of horseshit. I found ONE source. It was made up crap from a liberal rag. Which you not only bought hook line and sinker, you then posted the quotes from it as fact. How could I NOT find what I ended up posting as the source of YOUR quotes? Your own arguments don't even make sense anymore. And how did Hindes bail me out? He provided the context for only one portion of that piece of shit video you posted. The whole rest of it was ignorant trash as well, trash that you bought as being real.

#126 was the source of YOUR quotes that you took directly from Think Progress' trash hatchet job.
    Fire Goodell

You're as bad as Slash. I'm getting so frustrated I have to put you on ignore. It's too bad, because a good half of what you post is decent.
    Fire Goodell

Read my above post, which you obviously didn't see. The video you posted had the same exact taken-out-of-context quotes as the ones I posted. How did that prove me wrong? Just give Hindes the credit he deserves. It's as simple as that.

You're as bad as Slash. I'm getting so frustrated I have to put you on ignore. It's too bad, because a good half of what you post is decent.

Here's your sign:

Maybe the reason I'm acting like Slash is because you're treating me like you do Slash. If you show disrespect, you're going to get disrespect right back.

Now take your ball and go home.

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

Well. This entire thread has been unique. I'll give it that. But why is it okay to openly treat other members like a sack of shit? I don't see any problem with what Slash and Wally says...

Oh, and for good measure.

Whoever posted that deserves a medal.

I'm not sure who said it. It was a few pages back. But i'm at the point right now where i'm not even sure who's going to get my vote. Obama is for far off the list it's not even funny, but i'm not Romney's number one fan either. I personally favor Ron Paul, but my vote to him wouldn't exactly mean much, would it?

After all that diversionary nonsense, perhaps it's best to get back on topic. Will and Dana Loersch settle this "contextual" nonsense...

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sh...th-marcus-obam

DANA LOESCH, CONTRIBUTING EDITOR BREITBART.COM: And -- and you want to talk about gaffes. Here we have 41 straight months of unemployment that's been over 8 percent, which was -- the stimulus was supposed to have fixed. In terms of gaffes, it's not good to have the president get up in front of people during an election cycle and say, well, if you have a small business, you didn't built that, or as some have tried to say, oh, he took -- the Republicans took something out of context. He was talking about the Clinton tax plan, which really actually in context it's even worse, because he really was referring to his own plan, and the Clinton tax plan, we could -- we could get into...
    (CROSSTALK)
    LOESCH: ... the '97 tax cuts and everything else.
    (CROSSTALK)
    LOESCH: Yes, I did...
    (CROSSTALK)
    DONNA BRAZILE, CNN CONTRIBUTOR: As a small-business person, what he was saying...
    LOESCH: Oh, I know...
    (CROSSTALK)
    BRAZILE: ... is that if you have a -- if you rely on roads and bridges and skilled workforce...

LOESCH: ... don't build businesses. It's the other way around, though.

BRAZILE: ... public education, that we are together, business and government, we have to have a partnership.
    LOESCH: No.
    (CROSSTALK)
    BRAZILE: That was the context.
    RUTH MARCUS, WASHINGTON POST: It was completely taken out of context.

LOESCH: It was not taken out of context.
    MARCUS: It was completely taken out of context...
    BRAZILE: It was.
    MARCUS: ... but it matters because it falls into this pre-existing narrative, which is very powerful among people, that the president doesn't get business in general, and small business in particular. And that's why...
    (CROSSTALK)
    LOESCH: It was in context completely.
    GEORGE WILL: I have a question for my friend, Donna. This president is...
    (CROSSTALK)
    BRAZILE: ... when you say that, my friend.
    (CROSSTALK)
    (LAUGHTER)
    MARCUS: ... need to be nervous.
    WILL: We're told that the president is the brightest president since Madison, the best educated president since John Quincy Adams, and the most articulate president -- politician since Pericles. Why does he spend so much time explaining what he actually meant?

LOESCH: Right. When you're explaining, you're losing.

Fire Goodell

Fire Goodell

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

Obama just flew over my house. Landed at Mansfield Lahm about 20 seconds ago. Speech today at the square.

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bayz101 View Post
    Obama just flew over my house. Landed at Mansfield Lahm about 20 seconds ago. Speech today at the square.
    Key swing state...he'll be there a lot over the next few months

Quote Originally Posted by bayz101 View Post
    Oh yeah. Secret service all over this town right now.

Key swing state...he'll be there a lot over the next few months
    Much to my chagrin. Last time he was in Akron (like two weeks ago), my girlfriend got stuck in an hours worth of dead stop morning rush hour traffic because for some reason this President can't even have anyone drive under him or over him or even under or over his ROUTE before and after he drives it when he's in town. He's just THAT damned important. They literally shut down every under and overpass, every on and off ramp that passed anywhere even close to the route he was going to be on.

Today, he arrives at 3PM, his event is at 4, and will be over at 5. Basically, every major exit and entrance, overpass and underpass, as well as the main route through the city will be shut down from about 3:30-6PM. Way to look out for the working man, Mr President!
    Fire Goodell

Much to my chagrin. Last time he was in Akron (like two weeks ago), my girlfriend got stuck in an hours worth of dead stop morning rush hour traffic because for some reason this President can't even have anyone drive under him or over him or even under or over his ROUTE before and after he drives it when he's in town. He's just THAT damned important. They literally shut down every under and overpass, every on and off ramp that passed anywhere even close to the route he was going to be on.

Today, he arrives at 3PM, his event is at 4, and will be over at 5. Basically, every major exit and entrance, overpass and underpass, as well as the main route through the city will be shut down from about 3:30-6PM. Way to look out for the working man, Mr President!
    They do that for every President though...I am not oppossed to security measures, they are absolutely needed

They do that for every President though...I am not oppossed to security measures, they are absolutely needed
    Actually, when Bush was here, they didn't go that far. And they didn't do it at rush hour. Twice. In two weeks.
    Fire Goodell

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

Clever...speaks on many levels.
    Fire Goodell