Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Obamacare

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

RIP Obamacare

(Just speculating...but today should be the day it shuffles off it's mortal coil)
    Fire Goodell

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: RIP Obamacare

I certainly hope so, but I don't think that will be the case. I think they'll shoot down the individual mandate and leave the rest intact. The conventional wisdom is that killing the individual mandate effectively kills Obamacare, but really it doesn't. The dems will merely start deficit spending for it and blaming the Republicans for the budget imbalance.
    / I hope I'm wrong on this one
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

*fingers crossed*

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

The two popular provisions will survive in some other iteration. For example, private insurance companies have already started saying that they will keep the raised age of dependent coverage to 26 regardless. I also think we will see some kind of provision for covering pre-existing illness. I agree with Romney that as goes Obamacare, so goes Obama's first term. If it's struck down, he's a complete failure, namely because he wasted so much time and political capital on it while the economy continued to dissolve...
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Suit is more optimistic than I am. I think Kennedy sold out to Aetna and Wellpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    Suit is more optimistic than I am. I think Kennedy sold out to Aetna and Wellpoint.
    Well, it WILL come down to Kennedy...
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    Well, it WILL come down to Kennedy...
    First time I've ever wished we had Bork on the Court.

Decisions start being announced in about 45 minutes...heady stuff for politicos!
    Fire Goodell

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

When it's struck down he's going to start blaming 4 white people and an uncle tom. He'll run with it's the repubs fault that your free obaamacare was taken away.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    When it's struck down he's going to start blaming 4 white people and an uncle tom. He'll run with it's the repubs fault that your free obaamacare was taken away.
    He actually WILL probably blame Bush, since Alito and Roberts are both more conservative than the people they replaced (O'Connor and Rehnquist, respectively). One thing we CAN be sure of, he's not going to take any personal responsibility. The truly ironic thing is that Obamacare is improperly named, because he basically tossed the whole thing to the Congress and played little to no leadership role in the process. It's actually HIS fault entirely that the final bill is such a mess of half-measures and diluted compromises that actually did nothing to actually make healthcare more affordable.
    Fire Goodell

If anyone cares, you can follow a live blog form the court room here:

http://news.yahoo.com/the-supreme-co...cotusblog.html
    Fire Goodell

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

The IRS is hiring now

Reigning Black & Gold Array title="venom has a reputation beyond repute"> venom's Avatar

Chief Roberts went with the Liberal vote - gee thanks

Wow...survives...and for the second time this week, Roberts joins the left.

There goes another 1.5-2 trillion in debt. AND we now have a bunch of young people directly paying for the care of the old...I'm.......shocked by this. We have just dumped 30 million new people into a broken system with no way to fund it.
    Fire Goodell

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Not surprised. Also won't be surprised when he gets a second term.

If you were voting for Obama before, and you have half a brain, you need to reverse that vote now:

A) This proves how important putting true conservatives on the bench really is
    B) Obamacare will now have to repealed through the legislature (although with Obama's expansion of the executive order, maybe Romney could take that route?)
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Romney better come out with all guns blazing after this decision. Also, if this doesn't prove that progressives have taken over both parties, I don't know what will. Freaking Roberts.

I'm reading that the court reinforces that individuals can refuse to pay the tax and not comply with the mandate. That's.....odd....

AND, Congress does not have the power to penalize states who don't participate by stealing their medicaid funding. Maybe this isn't as bad as I thought...
    Fire Goodell

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Next on the horizon, we will be "taxed" into buying a Volt.

I'm reading that the court reinforces that individuals can refuse to pay the tax and not comply with the mandate
    On the tube they said the "tax" automatically comes out of your return?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Strike that...if an individual chooses to not comply, they can pay the tax.

Medicaid: States have choice to participate in the EXPANSION of the program. If they opt out, they still receive funding for everything else.

Odd...the court ruled that the Commerce Clause IS violated, but it doesn't matter because there is already a 5-4 vote that it is constitutional under the taxing power.

Not only did Kennedy vote it down, he wrote for the dissent and opened with: "In our view, the entire act before us is invalid in it's entirety".
    Fire Goodell

Synopsis: In Plain English: The Affordable Care Act, including its individual mandate that virtually all Americans buy health insurance, is constitutional. There were not five votes to uphold it on the ground that Congress could use its power to regulate commerce between the states to require everyone to buy health insurance. However, five Justices agreed that the penalty that someone must pay if he refuses to buy insurance is a kind of tax that Congress can impose using its taxing power. That is all that matters. Because the mandate survives, the Court did not need to decide what other parts of the statute were constitutional, except for a provision that required states to comply with new eligibility requirements for Medicaid or risk losing their funding. On that question, the Court held that the provision is constitutional as long as states would only lose new funds if they didn't comply with the new requirements, rather than all of their funding.
    Fire Goodell

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    If you were voting for Obama before, and you have half a brain, you need to reverse that vote now:
    The majority of this electorate HAS no brain - that's why he's in there to begin with.

All he has to continue to do is what he's been doing, and a sympathetic media will follow in lockstep.

Bu-bu-bu-Bush!

Bu-bu-bu-Tea Party!

Bu-bu-bu-damn obstructionist Republicans!

Bu-bu-bu-Europe!

Bu-bu-bu-sunspots!

Bu-bu-bu-meteor showers!

I singlehandedly got OBL! (repeat refrain 50,000,000 times)

etc., etc....

I'm even more convinced now that the clown is going to get 4 more years.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Yeah, this pretty much seals it for me. Time to drain the swamp and get rid of all of these bums - Democrat AND Republican.

GoSlash is right. How many more times are we going to allow ourselves to be screwed over by voting for liars, cheats and thieves before we say enough is enough? I know I'm already there. It doesn't matter who gets in office, or who gets appointed to any office, we the people get it up the butt without any lube. This law should have been sent to the shredder the second it reached the SCOTUS, but instead, we're going to end up paying through the nose and adding billions of dollars to the debt, with less and less care as we get older. Yip, yip, yippee!

I haven't felt this sick since that last Ronald Reagan movie

Having this argument simultaneously...the Dems had the House, the Senate and the WH and still complained they couldn't get anything done. Leadership that weak simply has to go...time to give the GOP the reigns for 2 or preferably 4. We're now on target for 22 trillion in deficits by 2020, and no one has STILL addressed SSI, Medicare and Medicaid. That's not sustainable
    Fire Goodell

This will be the end of small business as we know it. If you think the economy is bad now just wait.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

How does the GOP get blamed for Obamacare? The ONLY reason we aren't in single payer now IS Republicans. It could be far, far worse...
    Fire Goodell

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

This will be the end of small business as we know it. If you think the economy is bad now just wait.
    Actually, there will be a lot of small business owners who will say the hell with providing health care for their employees and pay the penalty instead, because it will be a hell of a lot cheaper. Thus putting more people into the system and further driving up costs. Oh, and get ready for higher taxes - WAY higher - in order to "pay" for this monstrosity. And not just on the "rich" either.

This country is doomed, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Actually, there will be a lot of small business owners who will say the hell with providing health care for their employees and pay the penalty instead, because it will be a hell of a lot cheaper. Thus putting more people into the system and further driving up costs. Oh, and get ready for higher taxes - WAY higher - in order to "pay" for this monstrosity. And not just on the "rich" either.

This country is doomed, folks.
    It depends on the business. If they can afford it, it's what? Around $2000 a head fine.
    Like our business we have only so many rooms(assisted living) and a set amount we charge for each room. We do not have enough coming in to cover that kind of fine and still pay bills let alone payroll.

Example: If you had 24 employees thats a $48000 fine. I can't pay something like that and stay afloat for long.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It depends on the business. If they can afford it, it's what? Around $2000 a head fine.
    Like our business we have only so many rooms(assisted living) and a set amount we charge for each room. We do not have enough coming in to cover that kind of fine and still pay bills let alone payroll.

Example: If you had 24 employees thats a $48000 fine. I can't pay something like that and stay afloat for long.
    Companies with under 50 employees are exempt. They at least figured out that most companies couldn't survive.

But, otherwise, everything else is right. Our small businesses are already drowning in taxes and regulations, and whenever the Dem's have another pet social program, they always hit up small business first with more taxes and unfunded mandates. That's primarily because they lack the clout and $$$ to lobby for themselves properly. This is, quite literally, the apotheosis of all unfunded mandates.
    Fire Goodell