Thread: "Drone Warrior" Hopey gets slammed from left and right...

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

"Drone Warrior" Hopey gets slammed from left and right...

First, Krauth destroys him from the right:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...-morality.html

A campaign ad had Bill Clinton praising Obama for the courage of ordering the raid because, had it failed and Americans been killed, “the downside would have been horrible for him.” Outraged veterans released a response ad pointing out that it would have been considerably more horrible for the dead SEALs. Obama only compounded the self-aggrandizement problem when he spoke a week later about the military “fighting on my behalf.”

The Osama-slayer card having been vastly overplayed, what to do? A new card: Obama, drone warrior, steely and solitary, delivering death with cool dispatch to the rest of the al-Qaida depth chart.

So the peacemaker, Nobel laureate, nuclear disarmer, apologizer to the world for America having lost its moral way when it harshly interrogated the very people Obama now kills, has become — just in time for the 2012 campaign — Zeus the Avenger, smiting by lightning strike.

A rather strange ethics. You go around the world preening about how America has turned a new moral page by electing a president profoundly offended by George W. Bush’s belligerence and prisoner maltreatment, and now you’re ostentatiously telling the world that you personally play judge, jury and executioner to unseen combatants of your choosing, and whatever innocents happen to be in their company.
    Fire Goodell

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Re: "Drone Warrior" Hopey gets slammed from left and right...

Then Carter destroys him from the left. Poor Hopey...

http://news.yahoo.com/jimmy-carter-a...-politics.html

A former U.S. president is accusing the current president of sanctioning the "widespread abuse of human rights" by authorizing drone strikes to kill suspected terrorists.
    Jimmy Carter, America's 39 th president, denounced the Obama administration for "clearly violating" 10 of the 30 articles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, writing in a New York Times op-ed on Monday that the "United States is abandoning its role as the global champion of human rights."
    "Instead of making the world safer, America's violation of international human rights abets our enemies and alienates our friends," Carter wrote.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    First, Krauth destroys him from the right:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...-morality.html

A campaign ad had Bill Clinton praising Obama for the courage of ordering the raid because, had it failed and Americans been killed, “the downside would have been horrible for him.” Outraged veterans released a response ad pointing out that it would have been considerably more horrible for the dead SEALs. Obama only compounded the self-aggrandizement problem when he spoke a week later about the military “fighting on my behalf.”

The Osama-slayer card having been vastly overplayed, what to do? A new card: Obama, drone warrior, steely and solitary, delivering death with cool dispatch to the rest of the al-Qaida depth chart.

So the peacemaker, Nobel laureate, nuclear disarmer, apologizer to the world for America having lost its moral way when it harshly interrogated the very people Obama now kills, has become — just in time for the 2012 campaign — Zeus the Avenger, smiting by lightning strike.

A rather strange ethics. You go around the world preening about how America has turned a new moral page by electing a president profoundly offended by George W. Bush’s belligerence and prisoner maltreatment, and now you’re ostentatiously telling the world that you personally play judge, jury and executioner to unseen combatants of your choosing, and whatever innocents happen to be in their company.
    "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for me!"

- Hopey Changey 2012
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Then Carter destroys him from the left. Poor Hopey...

http://news.yahoo.com/jimmy-carter-a...-politics.html

A former U.S. president is accusing the current president of sanctioning the "widespread abuse of human rights" by authorizing drone strikes to kill suspected terrorists.
    Jimmy Carter, America's 39 th president, denounced the Obama administration for "clearly violating" 10 of the 30 articles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, writing in a New York Times op-ed on Monday that the "United States is abandoning its role as the global champion of human rights."
    "Instead of making the world safer, America's violation of international human rights abets our enemies and alienates our friends," Carter wrote.
    Jimmy Carter compromised to the point of virtual non existence the "human rights" of every non hard core Islamist in Iran for the past 33 years with his usurping the Shah during his presidency. He needs to shut the fuck up and build some more houses for the homeless, or whatever the hell he does when he's not publicly propping up our enemies.

I'm not a huge fan of our current President, but I wont question his use of drones in our ongoing war against terrorist's and terrorism.

I get that Obama is being a hypocrite over his stated stance prior to being President on such matters. But I don't care. Once your in the Oval office you have to do what's best to protect the country. And if the information he has tell's him these drone attacks are working, then you've got to go on with them.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Jimmy Carter compromised to the point of virtual non existence the "human rights" of every non hard core Islamist in Iran for the past 33 years with his usurping the Shah during his presidency. He needs to shut the fuck up and build some more houses for the homeless, or whatever the hell he does when he's not publicly propping up our enemies.

I'm not a huge fan of our current President, but I wont question his use of drones in our ongoing war against terrorist's and terrorism.

I get that Obama is being a hypocrite over his stated stance prior to being President on such matters. But I don't care. Once your in the Oval office you have to do what's best to protect the country. And if the information he has tell's him these drone attacks are working, then you've got to go on with them.
    Krauth addresses this...

This is not to argue against drone attacks. In principle, they are fully justified. No quarter need be given to terrorists who wear civilian clothes, hide among civilians and target civilians indiscriminately. But it is to question the moral amnesia of those whose delicate sensibilities were offended by the Bush methods that kept America safe for a decade — and who now embrace Obama’s campaign of assassination by remote control.

Moreover, there is an acute military problem. Dead terrorists can’t talk.

Drone attacks are cheap, which is good. But the path of least resistance has a cost. It yields no intelligence about terror networks or terror plans.
    One capture could potentially make us safer than 10 killings. But because of the moral incoherence of Obama’s war on terror, there are practically no captures anymore. What would be the point? There’s nowhere for the CIA to interrogate. And what would they learn even if they did, Obama having decreed a new regime of kid-gloves, name-rank-and-serial-number interrogation?
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Krauth addresses this...

This is not to argue against drone attacks. In principle, they are fully justified. No quarter need be given to terrorists who wear civilian clothes, hide among civilians and target civilians indiscriminately. But it is to question the moral amnesia of those whose delicate sensibilities were offended by the Bush methods that kept America safe for a decade — and who now embrace Obama’s campaign of assassination by remote control.

Moreover, there is an acute military problem. Dead terrorists can’t talk.

Drone attacks are cheap, which is good. But the path of least resistance has a cost. It yields no intelligence about terror networks or terror plans.
    One capture could potentially make us safer than 10 killings. But because of the moral incoherence of Obama’s war on terror, there are practically no captures anymore. What would be the point? There’s nowhere for the CIA to interrogate. And what would they learn even if they did, Obama having decreed a new regime of kid-gloves, name-rank-and-serial-number interrogation?
    Truthfully I just wanted to get a shot in at the peanut farmer. Even if he's right this time I don't want to hear from him.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

You been living under a rock. Didn't you hear the war on terror is over?

Obama Admin: The War On Terror Is 'Over'
    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2...-war-on-terror

I don't mind that he uses drones but don't stand there and point fingers and blame Bush for his tactics. After all it did help get obl.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Truthfully I just wanted to get a shot in at the peanut farmer. Even if he's right this time I don't want to hear from him.
    Agreed.