Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: “This is what a dictator does”: Obama enacts DREAM Act without vote or exec order

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Re: “This is what a dictator does”: Obama enacts DREAM Act without vote or exec order

I must say, the fire analogies in this thread are top notch.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: This is what a dictator does: Obama enacts DREAM Act without vote or exec order

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    That's more of less what I'm saying when I'm comparing the Occupy and Ron Paul people, and how it applies to this thread. Essentially as demonstrated once again in this thread that's their answer to everything.

I'll leave it at that.
    Can't hardly be worse than the "answers" you've been voting for up 'til now. How's that been working out for you? :/
    / "practical"?!?
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: “This is what a dictator does”: Obama enacts DREAM Act without vote or exec order

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    I must say, the fire analogies in this thread are top notch.

Thankya. Thankyaverrymush!
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Re: This is what a dictator does: Obama enacts DREAM Act without vote or exec order

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Can't hardly be worse than the "answers" you've been voting for up 'til now. How's that been working out for you? :/
    / "practical"?!?
    Oh gee it will be heaven on earth when your guys gets in. I'm guessing he'll cure death eventually too!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

"My guy" ain't getting in, remember? He doesn't lie often enough to satisfy folks like you. And once again, you have misrepresented my position. I harbor no illusions about what a President can and cannot do. Sad part is you know they're just illusions, but you harbor them anyway. So remind me again just which one of us is the sucker?
    / why don't you go yell at your smoke detector some more 'cuz it can't put out the fire you started?

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

"My guy" ain't getting in, remember? He doesn't lie often enough to satisfy folks like you. And once again, you have misrepresented my position. I harbor no illusions about what a President can and cannot do. Sad part is you know they're just illusions, but you harbor them anyway. So remind me again just which one of us is the sucker?
    / why don't you go yell at your smoke detector some more 'cuz it can't put out the fire you started?
    You misrepresent my position as well, so I guess we're even.

And as for your last line. Please refrain from telling me what to do.

That's the last I need to say to you.

Must...not...make...Goodell...comment
    Comparing Goodell to an American President. Hmm let's see... dismiss Congress the Senate, and the Supreme Court, and we're there.

You misrepresent my position as well, so I guess we're even.

And as for your last line. Please refrain from telling me what to do.

That's the last I need to say to you.
    'Kay You're welcome back anytime you've figured out a rational counter-argument.

Real close to making it personal guys....good discussion ...but lets keep it civil.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Comparing Goodell to an American President. Hmm let's see... dismiss Congress the Senate, and the Supreme Court, and we're there.
    I just love the irony since everyone just likes to tell Goodell what he's doing wrong rather than proposing solutions to the problem (other than to get rid of him which has the same possibility of happening as the political equivalent, Obama being impeached).
    Last edited by Chidi29; 06-24-2012 at 05:20 PM. Reason: spelling error

'Kay You're welcome back anytime you've figured out a rational counter-argument.
    Dude we've been warned. I backed off already. Yet here you go inciting again.

My rationale argument is this. I like Romney. Not everything about him, but enough that I think he'll be a huge upgrade over our current President. The end.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

I just love the irony since everyone just likes to tell Goodell what he's doing wrong rather than proposing solutions to the problem (other than to get rid of him which has the same possibility of happening as the political equivalent, Obama being impeached).
    The only thing Goodell needs to do is leave the damn game alone. Same as the President needs to leave the country alone. They are both doing FAR more to fuck things up than any good they may think they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    The only thing Goodell needs to do is leave the damn game alone. Same as the President needs to leave the country alone. They are both doing FAR more to fuck things up than any good they may think they're doing.

This

(NOW....I'll get back on topic)
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...-Helmet-Safety

LLT and Chidi29, I have moved your discussion about helmets to a new thread in the Soapbox Forum, titled "Goodell and Helmet Safety".

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...-Helmet-Safety

LLT and Chidi29, I have moved your discussion about helmets to a new thread in the Soapbox Forum, titled "Goodell and Helmet Safety".
    Thanks Count. Sorry for derailing the thread. Just trying to replace suit.

Dude we've been warned. I backed off already. Yet here you go inciting again.

My rationale argument is this. I like Romney. Not everything about him, but enough that I think he'll be a huge upgrade over our current President. The end.
    "Inciting"?? I'm just trying to promote a rational discussion here. You're the one who's all annoyed and defensive.
    You like Romney. Okay... Perhaps you could explain what it is specifically you like? Maybe throw in how you even know that whatever it is you like is actually true?

"Inciting"?? I'm just trying to promote a rational discussion here. You're the one who's all annoyed and defensive.
    You like Romney. Okay... Perhaps you could explain what it is specifically you like? Maybe throw in how you even know that whatever it is you like is actually true?
    How 'bout I put you on ignore instead.

Before the General election I will present to the board my reasons for supporting and voting for Romney as is my right. But I owe you nothing, and that's exactly what you'll get from me from here on out. .

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

No offense to the Paul supporters....but when Ron Paul speaks it makes me wonder if he was created by Eeyore and Elmer Fudge having angry butt sex.

It is not the points he makes....just his delivery.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by BlacknGoldBabe View Post
    In my opinion, having watched Obummer dictate policy, recant then turn his 180's, it appears to me that he is not a puppet of this government, rather he is a puppet of of all governmental bodies that are pointing to a New World Order type of government. Seems he is always in search of a different rear end to plant a kiss on every week.
    Best post in the thread in my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    No offense to the Paul supporters....but when Ron Paul speaks it makes me wonder if he was created by Eeyore and Elmer Fudge having angry butt sex.

It is not the points he makes....just his delivery.
    ... which is not only not even remotely related to this topic, but does nothing to counter my argument. If you're gonna vote for weasels, you have to expect them to act like weasels.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

It is a shame that people are so turned off by Paul's OWS type cult following that they choose to vote for "lying weasels".

If their goal was to win people over to their way of thinking, as opposed to just flinging shit and stirring the pot, you would think they would use a little bit of tact and diplomacy.

Talk about winning a battle and losing the war.

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

Best post in the thread in my opinion!
    I agree with what BlacknGoldBabe said. What I don't understand is how you can say it's the best post in this thread while being a strong supporter of Romney. Let's take what she said but change only one word:

In my opinion, having watched Romney dictate policy, recant then turn his 180's, it appears to me that he is not a puppet of this government, rather he is a puppet of of all governmental bodies that are pointing to a New World Order type of government. Seems he is always in search of a different rear end to plant a kiss on every week.

Our government is broken. Our elected officials, from presidents to Congress, no longer represent us. I'm not sure who they're representing, but it isn't US. That's why I've disowned the Republican party and no longer trust establishment Republicans anymore than I trust Democrats. It's time for real change. It's time to get back to following the Constitution, as our government is supposed to do. It's time to elect people who represent US. In regard to BlacknGoldBabe's post, I'm not sure how Romney would be any different than Obama.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
    I agree with what BlacknGoldBabe said. What I don't understand is how you can say it's the best post in this thread while being a strong supporter of Romney. Let's take what she said but change only one word:

In my opinion, having watched Romney dictate policy, recant then turn his 180's, it appears to me that he is not a puppet of this government, rather he is a puppet of of all governmental bodies that are pointing to a New World Order type of government. Seems he is always in search of a different rear end to plant a kiss on every week.

Our government is broken. Our elected officials, from presidents to Congress, no longer represent us. I'm not sure who they're representing, but it isn't US. That's why I've disowned the Republican party and no longer trust establishment Republicans anymore than I trust Democrats. It's time for real change. It's time to get back to following the Constitution, as our government is supposed to do. It's time to elect people who represent US. In regard to BlacknGoldBabe's post, I'm not sure how Romney would be any different than Obama.
    All that "New World Order" conspiracy stuff is a bit out there. I used to buy into that back in the day, but I really think it's just that we live in an increasingly globally encompassing environment. You can't just ignore Iran, Yemen, PIIG, Russia, China, India and Pakistan et al and think that the US can self-sustain. We had a big leg-up on everyone post WWII because we (with the exception of Pearl Harbor) were not invaded. We didn't have to spend trillions to rebuild. In fact, we were so healthy we were able to build others up via the Marshall Plan. We also offered all kind of aid to Japan. Of course they pulled themselves up by their boot straps and ended up competing with us. That cycle has not ended.

As far as our "broken" system, sure, to some extent, it's broken. Look at Congress. The House in particular was not supposed to be a body comprised of lawyers who became over-paid career politicians, it was supposed to be a place where everyday Joe's came and participated in their government for a term or two and then went back to their real jobs. Anyone think that's going to change back to the original intention?

The above are two reasons why these naive and utopian dreams of "taking back" our government are complete folly. Never going to happen. At best, you have a movement like the TEA Party that causes some shifts and make progress incrementally. THAT is the reform...there are no short-cuts, and there are no panacea's.
    Fire Goodell

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    All that "New World Order" conspiracy stuff is a bit out there. I used to buy into that back in the day, but I really think it's just that we live in an increasingly globally encompassing environment. You can't just ignore Iran, Yemen, PIIG, Russia, China, India and Pakistan et al and think that the US can self-sustain. We had a big leg-up on everyone post WWII because we (with the exception of Pearl Harbor) were not invaded. We didn't have to spend trillions to rebuild. In fact, we were so healthy we were able to build others up via the Marshall Plan. We also offered all kind of aid to Japan. Of course they pulled themselves up by their boot straps and ended up competing with us. That cycle has not ended.
    Think what you want, but there are too many examples of our elected officials not representing us to just ignore it. Let's take the recent discovery of billions of Medicaid and Medicare dollars going to Cuba:

Two U.S. senators and a representative worry that billions of tax dollars could be going to Cuba and other foreign countries via criminal schemes designed to defraud Medicare and Medicaid.

The schemes often involve the use of nominees, individuals who are paid to be fronts for the actual owners of corporate entities being used in the fraudulent operation. By concealing the identities of true owners, the approach invites its use to funnel tax dollars out of the country.

In a letter made public yesterday to Marilyn Tavenner, acting administrator of the Center for Medicare and Medicaid, senators Orrin Hatch, R-UT, and Tom Coburn, R-OK, were joined by Rep. Peter Roskam, R-IL, said they fear billions of tax dollars are being lost annually as a result.

Clearly, the program vulnerabilities that facilitate billions of dollars to be stolen from the Medicare program each year also allow for some of that money to be funneled to foreign countries, the three congressmen said.

While the fraud itself is unacceptable, the loss of American dollars to foreign countries because of flaws in our system is totally unacceptable. The American people deserve the peace of mind to know that federal officials are doing everything they can to safeguard taxpayers dollars and the Medicare program.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/watchd...rticle/2500391
    So billions of dollars that are supposed to go to the American people through Medicaid and Medicare are being sent to Cuba. I'm surprised we even heard about it. How much do you want to bet it gets swept under the rug and continues? Meanwhile, our elected officials, who are supposed to represent us, will be working on ways to reform Medicaid and Medicare by cutting how much we get or who gets it. And don't even get me started on how our elected officials paved the way for the loss of our manufacturing base. And these are the same people, either Republican or Democrat, that we're looking to to solve the problems. They're not the solution ... they ARE the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    As far as our "broken" system, sure, to some extent, it's broken. Look at Congress. The House in particular was not supposed to be a body comprised of lawyers who became over-paid career politicians, it was supposed to be a place where everyday Joe's came and participated in their government for a term or two and then went back to their real jobs. Anyone think that's going to change back to the original intention?

The above are two reasons why these naive and utopian dreams of "taking back" our government are complete folly. Never going to happen. At best, you have a movement like the TEA Party that causes some shifts and make progress incrementally. THAT is the reform...there are no short-cuts, and there are no panacea's.
    So we should do nothing? Just sit back and keep voting for establishment candidates who are part of the problem?

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Think what you want, but there are too many examples of our elected officials not representing us to just ignore it. Let's take the recent discovery of billions of Medicaid and Medicare dollars going to Cuba:

So billions of dollars that are supposed to go to the American people through Medicaid and Medicare are being sent to Cuba. I'm surprised we even heard about it. How much do you want to bet it gets swept under the rug and continues? Meanwhile, our elected officials, who are supposed to represent us, will be working on ways to reform Medicaid and Medicare by cutting how much we get or who gets it. And don't even get me started on how our elected officials paved the way for the loss of our manufacturing base. And these are the same people, either Republican or Democrat, that we're looking to to solve the problems. They're not the solution ... they ARE the problem.

So we should do nothing? Just sit back and keep voting for establishment candidates who are part of the problem?
    I absolutely suggested nothing of the sort. What I'm saying is that there are no shortcuts. There are no "cheats". No procedural tricks. Some people think that voting for Ron Paul would make some kind of difference, when, in fact, what that would do would grind our whole government and economy to a screeching halt. If you think we have gridlock in government now, try putting a guy whose foreign policy (in particular) is so radical and naive that it's basically non-existent, and whose domestic policy is so far removed from reality that since 1976, he's only had two pieces of legislation signed. He won't work with ANYONE, and there aren't now, and never will be enough pure libertarians to form any kind of working coalition in this Country. That's what I'm tired of hearing...cloudcuckooland radical nonsense being paraded out as an actual solution to what's wrong. There is no reset button. And unless you espouse armed insurrection, no coup is on the horizon.

What IS achievable is incremental change. Like the TEA Party has accomplished. However, I don't even want to hold them up as the standard bearer because of their "scorched Earth" approach to getting things done. When I heard the one TEA Party elected official say "We're willing to tear the whole thing down" (or something very close to that) during the debt ceiling debate, I knew they were NOT saviors, rather just another dangerous faction that needed to be kept in check. OWS is an even more radical example. There are constructive ways to go about change, and they don't have to involve petulant cop-outs and wild ultimatums. For a start, let's NOT re-elect a guy who brings the worst of Bush and Carter back to the WH for four years, and let's DO bring in a guy who has worked in a bi-partisan fashion before and can hopefully get the economy back on track.

Trying to do 87 things at once will just blow up in everyone's face. Let's just start where we can start and work from there. How about a revamping of the tax code and starting to work on fixing the "entitlements"? How about getting a handle on the debt? How about propping up the economy by adding a measure of some certainty and stability? It seems to me these other pipe dreams of elected Libertarian saviors are really just sabotaging things through the back door, rather than trying to get the whole mess rebalanced through the front. And we already know the jackass in the WH ain't going to do any of those things in the next 4. He'll ignore SSI, Medicare and Medicaid, he'll give away missile defense in Europe to Russia for nothing, he'll continue to blow up the deficit and put us so in debt to China that we'll NEVER get out, and continue to diminish the power and prestige of the US in the eyes of all our allies, and, more importantly, our enemies.
    Fire Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    It is a shame that people are so turned off by Paul's OWS type cult following that they choose to vote for "lying weasels".

If their goal was to win people over to their way of thinking, as opposed to just flinging shit and stirring the pot, you would think they would use a little bit of tact and diplomacy.

Talk about winning a battle and losing the war.
    If people are actually stupid enough to vote for someone who they know to be bad just to spite someone else, then they deserve whatever government they end up with.

If people are actually stupid enough to vote for someone who they know to be bad just to spite someone else, then they deserve whatever government they end up with.

So whoever disagrees with you is stupid. Wonderful.

So whoever disagrees with you is stupid. Wonderful.
    I can see his lips moving but all I hear is farting sounds.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Let's keep it civil folks. LLT has already posted a warning.

In a few days I'll post as thread as to why I'm a Republican, and why I support Romney. Good chance your world view and mine are pole's apart. And I respect that. But for now I don't have the time or energy to give you a good answer. So know that I'm not ignoring what you have to say, I'm just postponing giving you an answer until such time as I have the motivation to give you something resembling a full answer.