Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking into the 2013 Draft

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Re: Looking into the 2013 Draft

The Steelers biggest need is at safety. Clark and Polamalu are getting old.
    Hater = Realist

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    The Steelers biggest need is at safety. Clark and Polamalu are getting old.
    I agree with that. I just can't deside right now if the help will come in the 1st or 2nd round. I think there will be some very good safeties available in both rounds.

AML

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

If the corners we have pan out do you think we will take one early? Are do we go safety with a first or second round pick.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

OK,,,,,,,, two things happened in the pre-season that may affect this years draft. We didn't find a QB that we wanted to develop for future years, and our stud rookie ILB got a season ending knee injury. Anyone agree or disagree with that?

AML

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    I agree with that. I just can't deside right now if the help will come in the 1st or 2nd round. I think there will be some very good safeties available in both rounds.
    As we have talked about before....Tomlin has a tendancy to draft in pairs. Could this be the year he takes Free Safety T.J. McDonald in the first round and Strong Safety Robert Lester in the second?
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    As we have talked about before....Tomlin has a tendancy to draft in pairs. Could this be the year he takes Free Safety T.J. McDonald in the first round and Strong Safety Robert Lester in the second?
    And just like this year, that could fall in line with the idea of drafting the BAP in the first round. Probably the second as well if Lester makes it that far.

AML

And just like this year, that could fall in line with the idea of drafting the BAP in the first round. Probably the second as well if Lester makes it that far.
    If we have a draft like we did this year...there is always the chance that FS Eric Reid is available at the end of the first round and SS Kenny Vaccaro falls to the end of the second round. Lots of possibilities this next year. There is also a chance that Florida State CB Xavier Rhodes may be a better fit as a safety in the NFL.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

If we have a draft like we did this year...there is always the chance that FS Eric Reid is available at the end of the first round and SS Kenny Vaccaro falls to the end of the second round. Lots of possibilities this next year. There is also a chance that Florida State CB Xavier Rhodes may be a better fit as a safety in the NFL.
    A top 15 pick, and the best SS in the draft? Yes, I would compare that to this year. I don't think Lester is too far behind Vaccaro, but with Okafor, and Jeffcoat chasing the QBs all over Vaccaro will probably end up with more big plays, and that is what people remember.

AML

Iowa's Micah Hyde, a second or third round CB may end up at safety as well. Last year we needed O-line help and IMO that position was very good at the top. We got two of them. This year we will probably need saftety help, and again, IMO, this class may end up very good at the top. Now you know where I plan on looking.

AML

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

I'm just giddy college football is back and I can start watching prospects.

You're going to hear one guy get a lot of comparisons to Ben Roethlisberger. Southern Utah's Brad Sorenson who is listed at 6'5 230. Got to watch him against Utah State. I think he's closer to Joe Flacco than Ben (better arm than Ben, little less mobile) but after a rough start, he actually looked pretty good. Huge arm and showed good ball placement on some tough throws (out route, fade).

Iowa's Micah Hyde, a second or third round CB may end up at safety as well. Last year we needed O-line help and IMO that position was very good at the top. We got two of them. This year we will probably need saftety help, and again, IMO, this class may end up very good at the top. Now you know where I plan on looking.
    Micah Hyde? Is the the player that was a stud at the Insight Bowl?

-- Jack Lambert --

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

i am going with OLB in round 1.

The steelers D is so dependant on the pass rush and currently I dont see any real options to replace Harrison in the near future.

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    i am going with OLB in round 1.

The steelers D is so dependant on the pass rush and currently I dont see any real options to replace Harrison in the near future.
    That would be an opption, for sure. You might take a look at Alex Okafor of Texas. At 6'5", 265, the pass rushing DE has the look of a Steelers LBer.

AML

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Safety and OLB and ILB and OL and QB and RB and...

Need look no further.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Safety and OLB and ILB and OL and QB and RB and...

Need look no further.
    I know no one is going to like this, but right now I have a RB at the top of my list. No I'm not going to mention his name. You know my rule about that.

AML

I know no one is going to like this, but right now I have a RB at the top of my list. No I'm not going to mention his name. You know my rule about that.
    Hmmmmmm......Marcus Lattimore of South Carolina....or Montee Ball of Wisconsin?

-- Jack Lambert --

Hmmmmmm......Marcus Lattimore of South Carolina....or Montee Ball of Wisconsin?
    OH no, I ain't tellin. I will say that the only reason I am thinking we may have a shot at him is because of his injury last year. I also want to keep an eye on Knile Davis, just incase he does come out this year.

AML

OH no, I ain't tellin. I will say that the only reason I am thinking we may have a shot at him is because of his injury last year. I also want to keep an eye on Knile Davis, just incase he does come out this year.
    LOL....well here is a mock draft for you to take a look at and check out a few players that I'm interested in....let me know what your think.

1st: SS Kenny Vaccaro of Texas, 6'1 218

2nd: RB Montee Ball of Wisconsin, 5'11 215

3rd: OT James Hurst of North Carolina, 6'6 310

4th: OLB Jamie Collins of Southern Mississippi, 6'3 240

5th: OG Blaize Foltz of TCU, 6'4 310

6th: QB MarQueis Gray of Minnesota, 6'4 250

7th DE Baker Steinkuhler of Nebraska, 6'5 290

-- Jack Lambert --

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

LOL....well here is a mock draft for you to take a look at and check out a few players that I'm interested in....let me know what your think.

only really know the first two picks LLT. Will check the others out when I get a chance

My 2 cents worth

1. Manti Te'o ILB Notre Dame 6'2 255
    2. Le'veon Bell RB Michigan State 6'2 244
    3. Robert Lester SS LSU 6'2 212 -
    4. Micah Hyde CB 6'1 191

Too early in the college season to have found my late round gems.

Still havent settled on any OLB prospects that I like.

I like Te'o then Skov as my two ILB picks to replace Larry Foote.

only really know the first two picks LLT. Will check the others out when I get a chance

My 2 cents worth

4. Micah Hyde CB 6'1 191

I would LOVE to get Te'o or Jarvis Jones...but I think both will be gone before we pick.....but....we said the same about DeCastro last year.

-- Jack Lambert --

My 2 cents worth

4. Micah Hyde CB 6'1 191

Thats a hell of a list Aussie, and would likely be 4 starters in a year or two, but I've watch 3 of them play so far this year and all of them are showing 1st and 2nd round ability. Te'o, I think is long gone before our war room finishes their pre draft hot dog. Skov is a real possability. I remember you pushing him last year, and he would be a great pick this year.

AML

6th: QB MarQueis Gray of Minnesota, 6'4 250t

Have gotten to watch Ball and Foltz this year. Ball is playing lights out, and Foltz look to me to be very underrated. Foltz would instantly improve our OL backups.

Nice list buddy.

AML

Thats a hell of a list Aussie, and would likely be 4 starters in a year or two, but I've watch 3 of them play so far this year and all of them are showing 1st and 2nd round ability. Te'o, I think is long gone before our war room finishes their pre draft hot dog. Skov is a real possability. I remember you pushing him last year, and he would be a great pick this year.
    Athletes tend to fly up the board. Football players always seem to be grossly undervalued.

The only ILB's that have been grossly overdrafted IMO in the first round have been Jerrod Mayo and Lawrence Timmons ( I may have missed a few others). I can see Teo going in the late teens.

Skov could fall to the 3rd round. Lester is a player who will be overdrafted.

I am going to continue to bet on team overdrafting guys with elite measurables and take a chance on my guys slipping. ( I still cant believe that at least ten teams passed on De Castro)

The longer I play the draft game the more I tend to undervalue players of note.

We keep playing like this, and we could very well have a shot at Te'o, Aussie. I guess that is one bright spot to the whole mess.

AML

A very early mock with the idea that we may be picking in the late teens.

1. Manti Te's----- ILB, ND, 6'2", 255, 2.65/40
    2. Kenny Vaccaro- SS, Texas,6'1", 218, 4.57/40
    3. Knile Davis----- RB, Arkansas, 6'0", 225, 4.44/40
    4. Bacarri Rambo-- FS, Georgia, 6'0", 210, 4.52/40---? I think there is some off the feild problems, got to love the name.
    5. Blaize Foltz----- OG, TCU, 6'4", 310, ------------- How do you get the name Blaize running a 5.30/40
    6. C.J. Fiedorowicz- TE, Iowa, 6'6", 265, 4.65-------- Don't think we get him in the 6th, but I had to have an Iowa boy in here somewhere.
    7. Brad Madison----DE, Missori, 6'4", 265, 4.76

Subject to change without notice.

AML

Finally got a chance to look at this up close bud, and right now, it doesn't look bad.

meo
    Like it or not Troy is putting on a couple years, he is starting to show up on the injury list more, and looks to be slowing just a little. It may be time to think about his replacement in the next couple of years. Vaccaro could be a very good later 1st round pick. Very good pick.

Believe it or not, I am still a little tore on Ball, but he has started this year very well and if he keeps it up would be a good one for us in the 2nd. Is Mendy coming back here, is he starting to get dinged up a little to often, can we afford himr next year. I personally don't see a RB on this team that I feel comfortable replacing him. Not right now anyway. Good pick.

I think that our O-line is finally on it's way to being fix, but depth could be a concern in the next couple of years. Some may not like this pick, but I do. Besides, you know me and OTs. Good pick.

Haven't watch this kid, but I do believe that drafting a OLB will be nessessary, if not this year next for sure. No oppinion on this pick.

I love this pick, particularly in the 5th. Again, like OT, we are going to need to upgrade the OG backup players. I think this kid could do that and much more for us. Exellent pick.
    6th: QB MarQueis Gray of Minnesota, 6'4 2

Not really thrilled with this one, but will need watch him play. I just think that we may need to either draft a play higher in the draft, or continue bring in a veteren and continue to work with what we have. Not sure about this one.

Big time Nebraska name, his father is very well know in that football program. He is have a pretty good year as well. Like the pick.

Nice early draft LLT.

AML

Finally got a chance to look at this up close bud, and right now, it doesn't look bad.

Nice early draft LLT.
    You would like Jamie Collins... He played in all 13 games (6 starts) as a true freshman in.....as a sophomore, he started 10 of 13 games as an outside linebacker and recorded 71 tackles and 2.5 sacks....as a junior he had 98 tackles , 19.5 tackles for loss...8pbu....1 int... and 6.5 sacks.

This year (in four games) he already has 35 tackles....7 tackles for loss.... 3 pbu.... and 2 sacks.

-- Jack Lambert --

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Well, with the way things are going, safety is probably the strongest position of need. Other positions are corner and outside linebacker. LLT, who would you say are the top safeties in the 2013 draft?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The Steelers should draft one of the elite 3 pass rushers, they will be in range for one of them

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Just saw a video on Kenny and impressed from what I've seen, keeping in mind that it was only one video. He definitely has the build for a safety and seems to have the athleticism to play safety. He made some great football plays that required the knowledge of the position and not just physical attributes. His stock is rising however, which could be a concern for us depending on how this year plays out.