Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Looking into the 2013 Draft

Dwinsgames

Re: Looking into the 2013 Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    He looks really good, Dwins....but would you take him over J.Jones?
    all things being equal , probably not ....

but so much lingers on Jones medical reports and it is always good to have a backup plan ...

when we drafted Timmons he was not the target Patrick Willis was , Timmons has not been a bad " backup plan " albeit no Willis production wise

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

I see Moores name mixed with the Steelers more and more, and I really don't know how I feel about it. I think,,,,,,,,, unsure. I've watched Moore and seen tapes on him and it looked to me that most if not all of his highlights come from the DE position, at 250 his isn't going to play DE for us. He has not looked good since the season ended. He had a bad combine, I know, I know, the 40 time can be over blown at times, but he was half a tick away for 5 seconds. Now I am hearing that he had a real bad pro-day.

I've just seen kids before that did a good job in school, but their game did not translate into the pros well. If we take him, all well and good, I hope he makes me look like a fool, but here and now, I'm just not sure I want him at 17.

AML

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post

The steelers always draft OLB player that possess fast twitch muscles that can always be traced to back to southern hemisphere genetic material from the 18th and 19th century.

I like Simon, I just think he doesnt meet the above criteria.
    You mean...He's not Australian?
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    You mean...He's not Australian?
    Staying political correct Perry. Walking that fine line.

Stumbled across this prospect. I think he is what we all hoped Curtis Brown might have been. CB/FS prospect with some toughness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_BEzqcfdHo

6'0 195" 4.44 forty Watch him step up and tackle. I cant tell you how sick I am of seeing CB's tackle like Deion Sanders.

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

Is there a chance we select the first RB taken in the draft with our 2nd Rd pick, if so Giovani Bernard looks like a fit.
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

http://walterfootball.com/proday.php#ksu
    Kansas State Pro Day Notes: Arthur Brown had a fantastic workout at his Pro Day. He'll probably be chosen late in the first round. Tony Pauline reported that the Steelers and Jaguars showed tons of interest.

3/13/13 - Arthur Brown, rSr/2013, Kansas State, 6-0, 241 (DS#4 OLB)
    2013 Kansas State Pro Day: After missing the Senior Bowl and most of the drills at the combine due to a shoulder injury, Kansas State linebacker Arthur Brown knew that he had questions to answer at his Pro Day. "I've been preparing for this day for the past month," Brown told NFLDraftScout.com via a telephone interview shortly after his workout, Tuesday. "I was ready."

Brown answered the most important question early on, proving the health of his shoulder by lifting the bar 21 times during the bench press drill. Later, the 6-0, 241-pound linebacker answered any concerns about his straight-line speed, timing between 4.56-4.66 seconds in the 40-yard dash, according to multiple sources in Manhattan. "I honestly don't know what my time was," Brown said. "They didn't tell me that but I felt good and I am confident that the scouts and coaches who were there watching us got a fair evaluation of what I can do."

There were representatives of 24 teams at Kansas State's Pro Day and Brown said among them were linebacker coaches for the Detroit Lions, Jacksonville Jaguars and Pittsburgh Steelers. As a further indication of the interest teams have in the back to back All-Big 12 linebacker, he has six private workouts and three visits lined up already. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com
    Last edited by Steeltreal; 03-13-2013 at 07:55 PM.

10. Always seems to be a player from texas.
    Maybe Florida is the new Texas

03/13/13 - 2013 Florida Pro Day: there were several recognizable faces in the crowd in Gainesville, including Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and general manager Kevin Colbert- Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

Dwinsgames

IF Sanders signs with the Pats ( or someone else ) Patterson may end up being our first pick

Steelers like to take WR with at least 3-4 years at the college level, going back to Holmes 06' thru Clemons 2012,

I think Allen, Hopkins, Woods, Patton in that order would be on their board before Patterson

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltreal View Post
    Steelers like to take WR with at least 3-4 years at the college level, going back to Holmes 06' thru Clemons 2012,

I think Allen, Hopkins, Woods, Patton in that order would be on their board before Patterson

if you look closely at the statement i made you will find a frown at the very end ....

I prefer to not even draft in the first round this year ....

but if you really want to look at what the Steeler do when looking at a WR ...

you should also look at the rest of their " MO "

they like guys who are varied in their skill set ... A.r.E , Brown , Sanders , all had punt kick return skills or played another pos. and could run the ball giving them gadget play ability , end around ,reverses etc

love him or hate him one thing Patterson is every time you turn on the tape is a playmaker with the ball in his hands and he can get you touches in a variety of ways and teams must account for him in all situations ...

he has a dynamic about him ... again he is not going to be for everybody ( at least not at first ) but if he continues to develop those skills he could be a difference maker and we need all of those we can get ... you can not teach his athletic ability ... no he is not Julio Jones , nor is he A.J. Green or Megatron ... but he brings a unique blend of talent to the table that would fit Todd Haley to a T ... think about what he tried to do with Dexter McCluster now multiply it 10 fold because this kid has abilities McCluster could only dream of having ... that is why I would not be shocked to see him selected IF Sanders takes a gig elsewhere

Junior Member Array title="starc is an unknown quantity at this point"> starc's Avatar

As concerned to my personal point of view, I think the teams tanked this year on purpose for a franchise man, they screwed themselves. This is a year of good defense and good role players. As most of the teams need like these.

Fairways Supported Living
    182-184 Hursley Road Toowoomba QLD 4350 Australia
    Phone : +61 1300 765 051
    http://www.fairwayssupportedliving.com.au/
    Providing community aged care supported living housing in Toowoomba, the Glenvale Villas are the perfect option for your loved ones, if they need a little extra help with daily living.
    Last edited by starc; 04-07-2013 at 06:51 AM.

Sanders and Brown were 3-4 year guys too just saying

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Steeltreal View Post
    Sanders and Brown were 3-4 year guys too just saying

please take a moment and see the forest through the trees ... I did not discount your claim , I did however expand to other things they look at ... you ignored that and went to what you wanted to see ...

but ok whatever ...

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

NFL Network’s Mike Mayock reported from the Pro Day that Jones ran a 40-yard dash in the 4.9-second range, and that representatives of multiple teams were alarmed that Jones was that slow.

“I think a 4.9 is a red flag,” Mayock said. “I talked to a lot of coaches and scouts and they all said the same thing: ‘Wow. A lot slower than we expected.’”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...orgia-pro-day/

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

NFL Network’s Mike Mayock reported from the Pro Day that Jones ran a 40-yard dash in the 4.9-second range, and that representatives of multiple teams were alarmed that Jones was that slow.

“I think a 4.9 is a red flag,” Mayock said. “I talked to a lot of coaches and scouts and they all said the same thing: ‘Wow. A lot slower than we expected.’”

Hopefully that scares off enough teams to land him to number 17. The 40 yard dash isn't everything, as long as he can play football

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Hmm, maybe he WANTS to be a Steeler.

Dwinsgames

Jones primary responsibility would be rush the passer ... if he has to chase a QB 40 yards he has more issues than the time it takes ...

I honestly did not think he would run a great 40 , I did think it would be faster than 4.9 , that being said what I am more concerned about would be his 10 yard split time ... quick twitch 10 yard burst is what you need to look at for a pass rusher , 3 cone drill is another I like to look at because it shows maneuverability , traffic can be a killer you have to be able to adjust ....

not saying it will not hurt his stock a bit because it combined with an already questionable medical report card will cause a few more teams to take pause when looking at him ....

at the end of the day though you have to trust the tape on the tape he plays fast you have to trust the tape ........ if he is your guy on tape , you got to draft him ... his 40 time will almost never come into play in games because he will be running in the opposite direction of the offence more often than not ... if he is slow everyone he played against is slow because he was faster than most of them with the pads on

he played on Saturdays against a lot of guys who will be playing on Sundays and he did very well against them then , I suspect he will fair well against them in the future as well ... just my 2 cents
    Last edited by Dwinsgames; 03-21-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    Steelers reportedly spent quite a bit of time with this young man at his pro day

he bit us tonight ......

Dwinsgames

Mock Update for 2013

3. Kiko Alonso ILB Oregon 6'3 242" - I love Sean Spence as a prospect coming out. I loved that we drafted him. I am not 100% sure that he can come back and last long term. Alonso is a player who has a nose for the ball and also an ability to fire into the hole to meet the runner or QB. I love his knee bend and power that results. Yes he is a nut case with a record and if you listen to any interviews he sounds like his mission in life is to play football and not much else. Timmons will be around for the long haul, however another partner in crime will be needed to replace Larry Foote in the future. ( I am not going to mock it here but I can see Manti Te'o being the eventual 2013 pick)
    nice call , may be the DROY

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Has Te'o had much playing time this year?

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Has Te'o had much playing time this year?

did not play first 3 games since has logged 11 starts in 11 games

but nowhere near the impact player Alonso has been

Alonso stats
    COMB FF INT
    137 1 4

Te'o 47 tackles ..........

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Thanks D

I get lucky occasionally.

Also nailed Austin Collie in his rookie year.

My call this year is Free Safety -- Tre Boston out of North Carolina

Trying to put together a mock for the other threads. Now that it is holiday season I have more time to post

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Dwinsgames

Thanks D

I get lucky occasionally.

Also nailed Austin Collie in his rookie year.

My call this year is Free Safety -- Tre Boston out of North Carolina

Trying to put together a mock for the other threads. Now that it is holiday season I have more time to post
    I like Boston , have him in a mock here too but personally lean towards Stanley Jean-Baptiste as a S ( instead of his CB spot he currently plays ) think he would be a great player to have to cover some of these pass catching TEs we are now seeing lots of in the league , big physical and fast cover men are not easy to find

looking forward to seeing you mock and insight

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Heard tonight that Sheriff has told Iowa that he will be returning to Iowa next year. I think it is likely a smart decision for him, and great for Iowa.

AML

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Heard tonight that Sheriff has told Iowa that he will be returning to Iowa next year. I think it is likely a smart decision for him, and great for Iowa.
    damn , he may have been our guy too depends on how it all unfolds ( moving this to the 2014 thread via copy paste )

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

im skimming this thread and im finding a surprising absence of the consideration of Haha Clinton-Dix. Phenomenal fill of a need and great value. Is there something wrong with the kid other than the short-lived suspension?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Dwinsgames

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    im skimming this thread and im finding a surprising absence of the consideration of Haha Clinton-Dix. Phenomenal fill of a need and great value. Is there something wrong with the kid other than the short-lived suspension?
    this is actually last years thread ... but we have not talked about HaHa yet . personally I have a hard time taking him seriously ( its a joke !! )