Thread: The nightmare of all nightmares: No Brees

Hybrid View

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The nightmare of all nightmares: No Brees

If Drew Brees opted to sit out this coming season, the Saints could tumble back into mediocrity

The title of a project on the division blogs this week is “Dream/Nightmare scenarios’’ for each NFL team. When I first received the instructions, I called my boss.

I asked about the possibility of taking it one step further. I asked if I could write about the nightmare of all nightmares.

Let’s be clear: It’s not something that I think will happen. But nightmares, after all, are supposed to be the worst thing you can concoct. And there’s one remotely possible scenario in the NFC South that would go way beyond the run-of-the-mill nightmare scenario I cooked up in the team post on the Saints.

What if quarterback Drew Brees doesn’t get a long-term deal and somehow ends up sitting out the entire 2012 season?

read more

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth/pos...all-nightmares

Swaggin' University Array title="ShutDown24 has a spectacular aura about"> ShutDown24's Avatar

Re: The nightmare of all nightmares: No Brees

Chase Daniel and Joe Vitt leading the Saints in place of Brees and Payton lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
    Chase Daniel and Joe Vitt leading the Saints in place of Brees and Payton lol.
    2011 colts=2012 saints?

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    2011 colts=2012 saints?
    I don't see it. Unlike the colts the saints actually do have a capable defense. Plus Colston Moore Henderson and Sproles is something even the most average QB can take advantage of

like the article says, it's the land of 6-10 - 8-8, they would be mediocre but far from the #1 pick. The jags have a better chance with their first round QB from last year leading the way
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Without Brees, the lowest win total that I could see the Saints getting is six.

Chase Daniel could take advantage of the weapons that the Saints have on offense, not to mention they'd lean harder on the RB duo of Sproles and Ingram.

Would Daniel throw for over 5000 yards? Hell no he wouldn't, however he's probably at the least throw in the high 2000's and 17 TD's.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I don't think Brees would sit out the season over the franchise tag. He'd be giving up $17 million - that would just be stupid. No matter what the long-term deal looks like, it would come nowhere close to making up for that.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I don't think Brees would sit out the season over the franchise tag. He'd be giving up $17 million - that would just be stupid. No matter what the long-term deal looks like, it would come nowhere close to making up for that.
    Yeah, Brees won't miss the season, he won't do that to the fans.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    Yeah, Brees won't miss the season, he won't do that to the fans.
    Sitting out the season would be absolutely stupid of him. He won't sit it out, but I think he will hold out as long as he possibly can to get the best deal possible. This will be his last contract most-likely and it will be the only real big one he signs in his career.

Remember, when he signed with the Saints he was coming off of a shoulder injury and they were the only team to offer him a contract. The only other team that showed any interest was the Dolphins and they chose not to sign him because they were scared away by his injury.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigNastyDefense View Post
    Sitting out the season would be absolutely stupid of him. He won't sit it out, but I think he will hold out as long as he possibly can to get the best deal possible. This will be his last contract most-likely and it will be the only real big one he signs in his career.

Remember, when he signed with the Saints he was coming off of a shoulder injury and they were the only team to offer him a contract. The only other team that showed any interest was the Dolphins and they chose not to sign him because they were scared away by his injury.
    His contract with the Saints was for 6 years and $60 million, and you have to remember that was back before teams were handing out $10 million a year to anyone who walks through the door. I'd hardly call that chump change.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

No Brees and a bad defense that lost their best defensive player= 4 or 5 wins tops

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    No Brees and a bad defense that lost their best defensive player= 4 or 5 wins tops
    and no HC

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

No way brees sits he has at least 17 million reasons to play.