Thread: GOP Rep. Bob Inglis slams Republicans for being led by hate radio, ‘preying on fears.

Senior Member Array title="Stlrs4Life is an unknown quantity at this point"> Stlrs4Life's Avatar

GOP Rep. Bob Inglis slams Republicans for being led by hate radio, ‘preying on fears.

What is this all about? Sour grapes or some truth to it:

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/07/09/...preying-fears/

Rep. Bob Inglis (R-SC), who lost recently in his primary run-off for the Republican nomination to keep his seat in Congress, is speaking out about the influence of hate radio and right-wing fear mongering in the Republican Party. In an interview with the AP, Inglis called out reactionaries like Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck for spreading “demagoguery” and hatred in society:
    – Noting that Palin had spread the “death panel” smear, Inglis said, “there were no death panels in the bill…and to encourage that kind of fear is just the lowest form of political leadership.”
    – Inglis slammed GOP leaders for following hate radio talkers, rather than leading on principle: “I think we have a lot of leaders that are following those (television and talk radio) personalities and not leading [...] What it takes to lead is to say, ‘You know, that’s just not right.”
    – Inglis on the right-wing’s effort to divide America: “It’s a real concern, because I think what we’re doing is dividing the country into partisan camps that really look a lot like Shia and Sunni. It’s very difficult to come together to find solutions.”
    – Although Inglis did not hear the racial slurs hurled at Rep. John Lewis (D-GA) at a tea party protest on Capitol Hill during the health reform vote, he did see threatening and abusive behavior. “I caught him at the door and said, ‘John, I guess you’ve been here before,’” said Inglis, referring to Lewis’ role in the Civil Rights movement.
    Like Inglis, Sen. Bob Bennett (R-UT) lost his GOP primary, despite a similarly conservative voting record. Bennett later slammed the GOP for being held captive to far right-tea parties and Fox News, noting, “I find plenty of slogans on the Republican side, but not very many ideas.” Inglis, who stood out as one of the only Republican lawmakers to publicly criticize Glenn Beck, warned that voters eventually will discover that the GOP is “preying on their fears” and turn away.

Senior Member Array title="SteelerEmpire has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerEmpire's Avatar

Re: GOP Rep. Bob Inglis slams Republicans for being led by hate radio, ‘preying on fe

Quote Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/07/09/...preying-fears/

Rep. Bob Inglis (R-SC), who lost recently in his primary run-off for the Republican nomination to keep his seat in Congress, is speaking out about the influence of hate radio and right-wing fear mongering in the Republican Party. In an interview with the AP, Inglis called out reactionaries like Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck for spreading “demagoguery” and hatred in society:
    – Noting that Palin had spread the “death panel” smear, Inglis said, “there were no death panels in the bill…and to encourage that kind of fear is just the lowest form of political leadership.”
    – Inglis slammed GOP leaders for following hate radio talkers, rather than leading on principle: “I think we have a lot of leaders that are following those (television and talk radio) personalities and not leading [...] What it takes to lead is to say, ‘You know, that’s just not right.”
    – Inglis on the right-wing’s effort to divide America: “It’s a real concern, because I think what we’re doing is dividing the country into partisan camps that really look a lot like Shia and Sunni. It’s very difficult to come together to find solutions.”
    – Although Inglis did not hear the racial slurs hurled at Rep. John Lewis (D-GA) at a tea party protest on Capitol Hill during the health reform vote, he did see threatening and abusive behavior. “I caught him at the door and said, ‘John, I guess you’ve been here before,’” said Inglis, referring to Lewis’ role in the Civil Rights movement.
    Like Inglis, Sen. Bob Bennett (R-UT) lost his GOP primary, despite a similarly conservative voting record. Bennett later slammed the GOP for being held captive to far right-tea parties and Fox News, noting, “I find plenty of slogans on the Republican side, but not very many ideas.” Inglis, who stood out as one of the only Republican lawmakers to publicly criticize Glenn Beck, warned that voters eventually will discover that the GOP is “preying on their fears” and turn away.
    Not having the ability to disagree with Rush L. shows a substantial weakness. And the saying that the racist elements in Tea Party rallies are "democratic plants", I think, will hurt the GOP members that identify with them. Currently. I'm sitting here watching "Meet The Press" and at least these GOP reps on there, are not prepaired for a lot of arguments the Dems are making against them... at least as of now... should be an interesting election season...
    Hopefully things will improve regardless as we need both parties as polished as possible in this challenging time.
    Last edited by SteelerEmpire; 07-18-2010 at 11:18 AM.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Re: GOP Rep. Bob Inglis slams Republicans for being led by hate radio, ‘preying on fe

Quote Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life View Post
    I'd say both.

The thing is, the Republicans do have ideas and principles that I think Americans can get behind, but they get lost in the rhetoric and fear-mongering that guys like Beck and Rush espouse every day. If they'd just run on those ideas, I think they can win AND get more Democratic support. The Dems have to be willing to work with them, though, and stop being swayed by the far left in their party as well.

Senior Member Array title="MasterOfPuppets is on a distinguished road">

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    I'd say both.

The thing is, the Republicans do have ideas and principles that I think Americans can get behind, but they get lost in the rhetoric and fear-mongering that guys like Beck and Rush espouse every day. If they'd just run on those ideas, I think they can win AND get more Democratic support. The Dems have to be willing to work with them, though, and stop being swayed by the far left in their party as well.
    the isreali's and palestinians will kiss and makeup before dems and reps get their shit together. people are getting sick of their tit for tat bullshit and its starting to show. could 2012 be the year of the 3rd party ?
    Third party candidates gain popularity
    By Cort Tafoya
    Daily Titan Staff Writer
    Published: May 09, 2010

The nation’s ideological divide might not be affecting as many Americans as you think. The most recent polling shows that 40 percent of the voting electorate now considers themselves independent – a stunning rebuke for the country’s two major political parties. On top of that, four out of five Americans say they no longer trust the government.

The state of California is on the verge of electing its next governor. The front-runners are Democrat Jerry Brown and Republican Meg Whitman. However, more than ever before, Californians will be looking toward third party candidates.

http://www.dailytitan.com/2010/05/09...in-popularity/

Major parties increasingly wary of third-party governor candidates

Long dismissed as inconsequential to final electoral outcomes, several third-party candidates running for governor this year are drawing considerable attention from the two major parties because of their presumed impact on November races.

A trio of independent candidates in the Northeast began to gather attention recently, but now the trend appears to be stretching to other parts of the country. From Minnesota, where the state GOP has pursued a pair of campaign finance complaints against the Independence Party candidate, to Florida, where the independent bid of Lawton Chiles III, the son of a former Democratic governor, could cost his dad's party a victory, third parties are secondary no more. (Heyooo!)

What's at the root of the increased viability of these third-party candidates? Disillusionment with the major parties -- and politics in general -- appears to be the main driver.

If voters hate Washington and hate both major parties (and they do), voting for a viable independent is a great outlet for expressing that anger.

Recognizing the potential potency of that message in this sort of electoral environment, the two major parties have adopted a "kill them before they grow" approach to independent candidacies over the past year.

It all began in the New Jersey governor's race last fall.

After independent Chris Daggett inched his way toward 20 percent in the polls and threatened Chris Christie's (R) seeming victory, the Republican Governors Association ran ads tying Daggett to then-Gov. Jon Corzine (D).

The RGA strategy worked, as Daggett collapsed to a 6 percent finish and Christie was elected governor, and a thousand copycats were born.

The RGA adopted the same strategy this year -- funding ads against state Treasurer Tim Cahill (I) that drove him way down in the polls.

But Cahill's support seems to have shifted more toward incumbent Gov. Deval Patrick (D) than Republican Charlie Baker, at least for now. (That's not terribly surprising, given that Cahill was elected as a Democrat.)

The Democratic Governors Association has also gotten in on the act, launching a Web site attacking independent former Sen. Lincoln Chafee in the Rhode Island governor's race.

(Chafee and wealthy independent Maine candidate Eliot Cutler appear to be the most formidable third-party candidates in the country, and it seems likely that the DGA will be dealing with them much like the RGA has dealt with Daggett and Cahill.)

Minnesota Independence Party candidate Tom Horner, meanwhile, is getting it from both sides. The state Republican Party has filed complaints with a campaign finance panel accusing Horner of receiving an advance look at polling conducted by a campaign supporter. Horner was also forced to cut ties with his PR firm when his "day job" became an issue in his campaign.

The major parties' worries are particularly notable in the Land of 10,000 Lakes, where an Independence Party candidate who took 6 percent in 2006 might well have cost Democrats the race against Gov. Tim Pawlenty (R). And don't forget that former Gov. Jesse Ventura won as a third-party candidate in 1998.

Third-party threats are also emerging in Iowa and Florida. In the Hawkeye State, GOP primary runner-up Bob Vander Plaats is threatening an independent run (the situation is likely to come to head Thursday when former Gov. Terry Branstad picks his lieutenant governor nominee), and in Florida, Lawton Chiles III took a pass on a run for the Democratic gubernatorial nod to pursue an independent candidacy.

All of this talk about credible third-party candidates in 2010 gubernatorial races leads to an inevitable question: Is 2012 the cycle where an independent runs successfully (or even seriously) for president?

The answer, as always, is probably not. As we have written many times before, the infrastructure advantages the two major parties enjoy are vast and can only be overcome by a candidate willing to spend vast sums of money to do so, a la Ross Perot in 1992 and (kind of) in 1996.
    http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the...ingly-war.html
    The most obvious fit in that category is New York City's Michael Bloomberg, and while there are undoubtedly some people in his orbit who still see a presidential bid as a possibility, it's difficult at the moment to see the space he would occupy in between President Obama and the eventual Republican nominee.

member since day 1 Array title="7SteelGal43 is a name known to all"> 7SteelGal43's Avatar

I think it's a bad case of sour grapes. Incumbent Republicans, or should I say RINO's, are gonna feel the wrath of the voter as much as some liberal Democrats. Those in the Republican party who abandoned true conservative principals are feeling the dissatisfaction and have to blame someone. How 'bout Rush and Glenn and Sarah, oh my.
    Stay classy, leftnutz

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Just a couple of sour grapes who are just mad because apparently the were rejected by their conservative constituency in favor of real republicans. Apparently these two are too far to the left that they associate more with the left instead of the right. Either that or they're just cowards looking for brownie points from the left like all the fake republicans whose left leaning voting lifted the dems to power

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

Rush and Beck are nothing more than egomaniacal far right kookbags.

could 2012 be the year of the 3rd party ?
    If a 3rd party candidate proved to be viable, I would support him. I've always voted person not party and I'd have no hesitation in doing so in the next election. I still maintain that whoever runs against the Presidingbat will be successful.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!

Senior Member Array title="MasterOfPuppets is on a distinguished road">

Quote Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
    Rush and Beck are nothing more than egomaniacal far right kookbags.

If a 3rd party candidate proved to be viable, I would support him. I've always voted person not party and I'd have no hesitation in doing so in the next election. I still maintain that whoever runs against the Presidingbat will be successful.
    by "viable", do you mean skilled in lying and deception ?

how cool would a palin / clinton slugfest be ? ....

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 7SteelGal43 View Post
    I think it's a bad case of sour grapes. Incumbent Republicans, or should I say RINO's, are gonna feel the wrath of the voter as much as some liberal Democrats. Those in the Republican party who abandoned true conservative principals are feeling the dissatisfaction and have to blame someone. How 'bout Rush and Glenn and Sarah, oh my.
    Yup.

Senior Member Array title="The WH will become famous soon enough"> The WH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post

i might just come home to watch that if it happened.

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Inglis is a tool.

He got thrown out because he voted for that corporate welfare bill known as TARP. Which means it wasn't for being a liberal, it was for being a neocon.

Administrator Array title="HometownGal has a reputation beyond repute"> HometownGal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
    by "viable", do you mean skilled in lying and deception ?

All politicians - whether Demo, GOP, Green Party, etc. are skilled in lying and deception. It is a prerequisite for the job. Voting has become eeenie, meenie, miney, mo sadly.

I really respect Sarah Palin but I think Madame Rottweiler would kick her ass if the two went head to head. If it came down to a physical brawl, Sarah would open up a huge can of whoop ass on Hillary.

CANCER - YOU PICKED THE WRONG BITCH!!!