Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ron Paul Supporters Embarrassing Themselves, Party...

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: Ron Paul Supporters Embarrassing Themselves, Party...

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
    If he just would have run on the Independent ticket, I'd agree with you 100%. Right now I can only agree 99.9%, and that other little tiny bit of me can't stand Obama more. If Paul doesn't win the GOP ticket, we all know what his chances are. Romney's not any kind of savior or anything (just like Obama wasn't), but at that point it'll be time to shift the focus elsewhere...towards Rand and Congress and Senate as a whole. Ron Paul followers need to start getting out there and getting involved as much as possible, because as much as I hate to admit it, Paul isn't going to be the savior either. He never had Congress behind him before, and he wouldn't have them behind him as president either. All I can do right now is hope his delegate strategy works.
    He may well decide to run independent. "I have no plans" isn't the same thing as "I'm not going to". And I have never harbored any illusions that he'd be the Republican candidate. Even if he somehow did win, he wouldn't win. The RNC and media would simply declare Romney the victor by fiat (which they have already done).
    If Paul doesn't run independent, I'll probably vote for Johnson. I can't in good conscience vote for Obama, but I consider Romney more of a threat and I'll tell you why: Yes Obama is more liberal, but Congress won't let him do anything. They will let Romney run wild out of "party unity" just like they did with Bush. Not only is that bad for the country, but it's worse for the Republican party and the efforts to reform it. An Obama Presidency would be 4 years with an inept lame duck. A Romney Presidency would be a complete disaster.
    Just my opinion, of course
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
    Thanks for more compliments! You're such a sweetie. Muah!

I get it though, and it's ok. People are always just more on edge and uncivilized during an election year. Happens.
    You're far more generous than I IMO that excuse only applies to people who are *less* on edge and *more* civilized the rest of the time
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    He may well decide to run independent. "I have no plans" isn't the same thing as "I'm not going to". And I have never harbored any illusions that he'd be the Republican candidate. Even if he somehow did win, he wouldn't win. The RNC and media would simply declare Romney the victor by fiat (which they have already done).
    If Paul doesn't run independent, I'll probably vote for Johnson. I can't in good conscience vote for Obama, but I consider Romney more of a threat and I'll tell you why: Yes Obama is more liberal, but Congress won't let him do anything. They will let Romney run wild out of "party unity" just like they did with Bush. Not only is that bad for the country, but it's worse for the Republican party and the efforts to reform it. An Obama Presidency would be 4 years with an inept lame duck. A Romney Presidency would be a complete disaster.
    Just my opinion, of course
    Your ideal Republican Party is a figment of your imagination and will never happen.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

If true, that'd be a shame... but I don't think it's true.
    Any party is merely what it's active participants wish it to be. It just so happens that the folks who share my ideology are the only ones (aside from the usual crop of petty criminals) taking enough of an interest to participate.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

If true, that'd be a shame... but I don't think it's true.
    Any party is merely what it's active participants wish it to be. It just so happens that the folks who share my ideology are the only ones (aside from the usual crop of petty criminals) taking enough of an interest to participate.

I'm not saying there's not a place for your politics. I just don't think it's future resides in the GOP.

Yeah, I hear you. I just disagree. I think it's the only future the GOP has and I think we're doing a fine job of redefining it so far.

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I tend to believe that we're a self correcting society, and short of external intervention, we'll always right the ship before it goes too far off course.
    I bet if we could look back through history, we'd find that people in every dominant country at the time said something similar. It's kind of like love ... you take it for granted and always expect it to be there. Then you wake up one day and discover that it's gone.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

What, I'm the bad guy for correctly pointing out that people are complaining because , I guess, everyone, even losers, should be a winner?

Paul lost. That makes him a loser. His campaign lost. His supporters lost. When people compete, some win, and some lose. You shouldn't lose, then blame others, find tricks and cheats to try and win, and get mad at the winners who won fair and square (and rightfully tell the losers to please just LOSE already). It's over, Ron Paul people. It's over. You lost. You don't have to go away, and you can still push your decent domestic policy and your cloudcuckooland naive utopian unworkable foreign policy all you like, but stop trying to win something that you already lost!

I have wasted untold hours posting about this, and I don't even know why. I'm going to say one last thing about this and then focus on the real candidates exclusively (unless, of course, the Paul people find another sneaky trick or escalate their tactics). I admire Ron Paul for one thing: He truly represents what a House Representative should be. The House was never meant to be flooded with corporately purchased lawyers who become career politicians, it was intended to be a true representative body, made up of farmers, and doctors, and shopkeepers...regular folks who take a break from their real job an go to DC to truly represent the people for a short while. He's pretty much done that. But now it's time to retire and go home. He made a nice run, but nobody voted for him and he's out of money.
    Fire Goodell

I have wasted untold hours posting about this, and I don't even know why.
    The Ron Paul people are so irrelevant you felt compelled to post a troll thread and carry on about them for 4 pages thus far. They're mindless, yet they're using parliamentary tricks. They're a tiny minority, yet they're somehow taking over the Republican convention. This entire exercise has been self-conflicted.
    Usually, when people behave as you have here there's a reason. And while they generally claim that they "don't know why" they actually do

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

The Ron Paul people are so irrelevant you felt compelled to post a troll thread and carry on about them for 4 pages thus far. They're mindless, yet they're using parliamentary tricks. They're a tiny minority, yet they're somehow taking over the Republican convention. This entire exercise has been self-conflicted.
    Usually, when people behave as you have here there's a reason. And while they generally claim that they "don't know why" they actually do
    +1

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bayz101 View Post
    +1
    Please. This was newsworthy and noteworthy for 5 minutes, so I posted about it. That 5 minutes is over.

There are dozens of posts here about Romney and probably a hundred about Obama. Paul has like 2...which is perfectly in proportion with his vote count. This is simply the Paul people once again delusionally overstating their importance in the large scheme of things...I'm sorry I paid as much attention as I have. It's not warranted...
    Fire Goodell

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    Please. This was newsworthy and noteworthy for 5 minutes, so I posted about it. That 5 minutes is over.

There are dozens of posts here about Romney and probably a hundred about Obama. Paul has like 2...which is perfectly in proportion with his vote count. This is simply the Paul people once again delusionally overstating their importance in the large scheme of things...I'm sorry I paid as much attention as I have. It's not warranted...
    I'm not going to get too much into it, because I could honestly care less, but it's a message board. People will voice their opinions, and post-whores will overly-voice their opinions. Round the sheep up. Round them up.

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

Paul lost. That makes him a loser. His campaign lost. His supporters lost. When people compete, some win, and some lose. You shouldn't lose, then blame others, find tricks and cheats to try and win, and get mad at the winners who won fair and square (and rightfully tell the losers to please just LOSE already). It's over, Ron Paul people. It's over. You lost. You don't have to go away, and you can still push your decent domestic policy and your cloudcuckooland naive utopian unworkable foreign policy all you like, but stop trying to win something that you already lost!
    Just wondering ... does that same philosophy apply to LeBron James? He hasn't won a championship, so he's a loser. LeBron fans should just shut up and accept the fact he's not as good as Kobe.

In all seriousness suit, we're not talking about a sporting event. Ron Paul supporters don't have to be good sports and "shake hands" with the winners after the "competition." Our country is at a crossroad, and we're talking about it's future and its survival. We don't need people to sit down and shut up. We need more and more people to stand up and challenge the establishment. The establishment that is destroying this country. The establishment that both Obama and Romney are a part of.

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
    Just wondering ... does that same philosophy apply to LeBron James? He hasn't won a championship, so he's a loser. LeBron fans should just shut up and accept the fact he's not as good as Kobe.

In all seriousness suit, we're not talking about a sporting event. Ron Paul supporters don't have to be good sports and "shake hands" with the winners after the "competition." Our country is at a crossroad, and we're talking about it's future and its survival. We don't need people to sit down and shut up. We need more and more people to stand up and challenge the establishment. The establishment that is destroying this country. The establishment that both Obama and Romney are a part of.

Not a valid analogy...Lebron still has a chance at winning, Paul does not. The whole point is the Paul supporters inability to accept defeat and move on. Putting Obama and Romney in the same category is asinine, they are two different people with vastly different philosophies on how to govern the country. That's the whole issue I have with the Paul crowd, they can't see beyond Paul's ideas and categorize anyone besides Paul as the same group of people. Well, that, and the fact that they think they are intellectually enlightened...that bugs the hell out of me.

Your real mistake was behaving as if you've paid more attention than you have. This establishment vs Paul supporters battle has been going on for years and some of us have been involved with it since the last election cycle. You don't get to skim a couple headlines and pretend you're some kind of expert on this subject. Well... you *can*, but the rest of us won't take you seriously.

Your entire argument is disingenuous, self-conflicted, and (above all) petty. Do you seriously think that all these thousands of Paul supporters are just gonna sit down and shut up merely because that's what *you* think they should do? Of course not. So why even open your mouth? They're going to keep on doing what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hindes204 View Post
    Not a valid analogy...Lebron still has a chance at winning, Paul does not. The whole point is the Paul supporters inability to accept defeat and move on. Putting Obama and Romney in the same category is asinine, they are two different people with vastly different philosophies on how to govern the country. That's the whole issue I have with the Paul crowd, they can't see beyond Paul's ideas and categorize anyone besides Paul as the same group of people. Well, that, and the fact that they think they are intellectually enlightened...that bugs the hell out of me.
    Standing ovation here!

Not a valid analogy...Lebron still has a chance at winning, Paul does not.
    I wasn't trying to make a good analogy. I had tongue planted firmly in cheek.

Putting Obama and Romney in the same category is asinine, they are two different people with vastly different philosophies on how to govern the country.
    Hindes, you're putting words in my mouth. I never said Obama and Romney were exactly the same in terms of philosophies and policies. I said if given the option of Obama and Romney, I'd support Romney because he's by far the lesser of the two evils. The way that they're the same is that they're both entrenched in the establishment, whether it's the Democrat or Republican establishment. Ron Paul never had a chance from the word go. Romney was the establishment's pick all along. Go back and see how much media coverage Romney got compared to Paul. Look at the number of questions each received in all the debates. Romney didn't win because he was the better candidate or because voters were excited about him. He won because the party wanted him to win. Well, that might be overstating things. But the establishment certainly didn't want Paul to win.

I've seen a lot of talk around here about the differences between Obama and Romney. I know the differences between those two. What I want to know is how would Romney be any different than Bush? Listening to a lot of Republicans talk and seeing what they write, it's almost like they believe the Bush years were all lollipops and unicorns. Things couldn't have been any better. Then Obama came along and destroyed the country with his liberal agenda. But we know that's not true. The country was sliding downhill under Bush, and it's continuing the slide under Obama. So what I want to know is what would Romney do differently than Bush to stop the slide and get us going in the right direction?

Oh, and I'm not a Ron Paul supporter. I just hate Democrats and I'm really starting to dislike Republicans. They're supposed to represent us. I'm not sure who they're representing anymore, but it's definitely not us.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Dude, politicians stopped representing us over 50 years ago, and definitely in the last 20. Now it's all about who can blow enough smoke up the electorate's collective asses, fool us enough to get elected...then do the same old shit that got us into this mess in the first place. Meanwhile, they keep acquiring more money and power for themselves and their buddies, while we get reamed with a red hot poker. Look at Allegheny County, for example. People are pissed off about their property tax reassessments, but rather than reform the system, our new county executive's solution is to dump the property tax altogether and raise taxes elsewhere...meaning sales, payroll and income taxes. Yeah, and exactly HOW is that going to fix anything? Same shit, different day in Taxylvania.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    Dude, politicians stopped representing us over 50 years ago, and definitely in the last 20. Now it's all about who can blow enough smoke up the electorate's collective asses, fool us enough to get elected...then do the same old shit that got us into this mess in the first place. Meanwhile, they keep acquiring more money and power for themselves and their buddies, while we get reamed with a red hot poker. Look at Allegheny County, for example. People are pissed off about their property tax reassessments, but rather than reform the system, our new county executive's solution is to dump the property tax altogether and raise taxes elsewhere...meaning sales, payroll and income taxes. Yeah, and exactly HOW is that going to fix anything? Same shit, different day in Taxylvania.
    That's pretty much how I see it.
    Meanwhile, as a country, we're too busy arguing over Democrats and Republicans that we're not paying attention to the fact that they're both screwing us. That's why I'm leaning more toward non-establishment candidates these days. Would someone like Ron Paul do any better? I have no clue. But he couldn't do any worse. And at least he's actually willing to follow that pesky little thing called the Constitution.

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

I wasn't trying to make a good analogy. I had tongue planted firmly in cheek.

Hindes, you're putting words in my mouth. I never said Obama and Romney were exactly the same in terms of philosophies and policies. I said if given the option of Obama and Romney, I'd support Romney because he's by far the lesser of the two evils. The way that they're the same is that they're both entrenched in the establishment, whether it's the Democrat or Republican establishment. Ron Paul never had a chance from the word go. Romney was the establishment's pick all along. Go back and see how much media coverage Romney got compared to Paul. Look at the number of questions each received in all the debates. Romney didn't win because he was the better candidate or because voters were excited about him. He won because the party wanted him to win. Well, that might be overstating things. But the establishment certainly didn't want Paul to win.

I've seen a lot of talk around here about the differences between Obama and Romney. I know the differences between those two. What I want to know is how would Romney be any different than Bush? Listening to a lot of Republicans talk and seeing what they write, it's almost like they believe the Bush years were all lollipops and unicorns. Things couldn't have been any better. Then Obama came along and destroyed the country with his liberal agenda. But we know that's not true. The country was sliding downhill under Bush, and it's continuing the slide under Obama. So what I want to know is what would Romney do differently than Bush to stop the slide and get us going in the right direction?

Oh, and I'm not a Ron Paul supporter. I just hate Democrats and I'm really starting to dislike Republicans. They're supposed to represent us. I'm not sure who they're representing anymore, but it's definitely not us.
    Great post!!!!

Living on slogans, ideals, and sayings only goes so far. In the end you still have to pay for your groceries and gas. The guy who gives me the best chance to make ends meet is getting my vote.

Face it. Life is shit sandwich. The ending is the same for all of us. Spoiler alert. You die. So rather than pretend we're going to make some change where we all live happily ever after with an endless supply of lollipops and rainbows, just do what you can to make things better for the moment.

The moral of the story is there never was utopia and there never will be. If you think the founding fathers struck upon some great ideals where everyone thrived and was happy, you don't know your history.

It's a big bad world. Things can only be so good. There's always going to be things that make life suck. If you think Bush or any other President was dealt 4 aces you're an ass. You make the best of it, and deal with or ignore what's too ugly to change.

The end.

This post came to you courtesy of Sam Adams. ( the beer, not the founding father )

Thank you.
    Last edited by zulater; 05-19-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Living on slogans, ideals, and sayings only goes so far. In the end you still have to pay for your groceries and gas. The guy who gives me the best chance to make ends meet is getting my vote.

Face it. Life is shit sandwich. The ending is the same for all of us. Spoiler alert. You die. So rather than pretend we're going to make some change where we all live happily ever after with an endless supply of lollipops and rainbows, just do what you can to make things better for the moment.

The moral of the story is there never was utopia and there never will be. If you think the founding fathers struck upon some great ideals where everyone thrived and was happy, you don't know your history.

It's a big bad world. Things can only be so good. There's always going to be things that make life suck. If you think Bush or any other President was dealt 4 aces you're an ass. You make the best of it, and deal with or ignore what's too ugly to change.

The end.

This post came to you courtesy of Sam Adams.

Thank you.

Or blame everyone and everything else.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Official Troll Array title="The Patriot is a name known to all"> The Patriot's Avatar

Yes, yes. Let's all us conservative-types pencil in "Ron Paul" at the general election.

Nice to see you've finally done at least some cursory research. You are correct; nothing to see here. You can go back to sleep now.
    /don't ask about Rule 38.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....................

See, I'm WIDE AWAKE. and I live in the real World.

The thing is, small minorities are not entitled to take over entire parties based on tricks and cheats. You can't garner only a small minority of the votes in primaries, not win any states popular votes, and only have a couple million people on your side in a Country of 315 million and try to steal more than your proportionate share of delegates. You cannot take over a party by having a very few people who will not budge and expect the VAST, VAST majority to kowtow to your every extreme and dangerous and naive Utopian demand. It's a giant (and very public) fail...

The whining of these petulant children would shock me if I hadn't already been completely desensitized to it through a full year of already hearing almost daily their whining and gnashing of teeth. They take advantage of a loophole, STEAL delegates, than complain when those delegates are properly and correctly re-distribued back to the candidate that actually earned them and claim THEY were robbed.

Please, Please, PLEASE go form your own party. Just stop already. If you can't cooperate and compromise, the message from the GOP is clear: WE DON'T WANT YOU.
    Fire Goodell

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Clinton got voted in because a third party candidate ( Ross Perot) drained votes away from Bush Sr. Could we be looking at a repeat of history to get Obama a second term?
    I've already come to terms with Obama getting re-elected. I don't particularly care for Romney, but it's either that, or sit out this election. Since I've never not voted, that really isn't an option. Besides...... ya gotta vote to earn the right to bitch and moan.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    I've already come to terms with Obama getting re-elected. I don't particularly care for Romney, but it's either that, or sit out this election. Since I've never not voted, that really isn't an option. Besides...... ya gotta vote to earn the right to bitch and moan.
    See, I believe the opposite. If you DON'T vote, you should have the right to bitch and moan as much as you want, because you didn't put those clowns in office.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

I've seen a lot of talk around here about the differences between Obama and Romney.

I know the differences between those two. What I want to know is how would Romney be any different than Bush?
    Romney balanced the budget in MA though inheriting a billion dollar deficit in a highly democratic state.

He knows how to compromise and build consensus for the greater good.

Romney knows how to make numbers work.

Romney knows how to analyze things that are in the red and put them in the black.

He hates to spend money unnecessarily.

He turned the olympics around from a huge deficit into the black.

He has taken corporations in the red and turned them around.

This is not easy. There are very few people who have these skills.

His strengths are in the areas this country is the weakest...fiscal responsibility.

Do you feel that Bush had this type of strong commitment to fiscal responsibility and balanced budgets?
    Last edited by GBMelBlount; 08-30-2012 at 10:31 PM.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

By way of comparison, Hopey: Blames Bush, Japan, the weather, Europe, China, and Congress for his failure, which is actually HIS failure of leadership on parade. He'll lie about 4 million jobs created when, in fact, 831 billion borrowed-from-China-dollars-later, there are actually 473,000 LESS Americans working now then there were in January of 2009. He'll say Bush running Clinton's debt from 6 to 10.5 trillion in 8 years is Satanic but Obama running Bush's 10.5 trillion to 16 in 4 years is superdy-duper. His debt-to-GDP ratio's over 100% (the first time since WWII) and oversaw our credit rating downgraded for the first time ever. He's overseen the lowest percentage of working age Americans actually working full time (63%) since 1983.
    Fire Goodell

Member Array title="Arkiesteel is an unknown quantity at this point">

Being a pretty simple guy from the hills of Arkansas I kind of see things like this; it don't really matter who runs the country or who is in the house or who is in the senate they for the most part do not have any idea as to what I need or want from them. I have voted every chance I have had since I was 18 and I have seen it have very little effect on my day to day life. You put a dem in and things go this way then you put a gop guy in and things go that way. The upper class may do a little better or do a little worse but not a whole bunch ever changes same with the middle and same with the lower. I happen to be doing better now in business than I ever had and am making a better life for me and my family than I ever have, I do not see this as any result of who I voted for or who is in office. I see those in office spending 50% of their time running down the other party and the other 50% of their time trying to keep their ass in office. If I had my way we would vote out the whole damn lot of them and start again, but that isn't going to happen for as the OP stated reason of folks that have it on their mind that if such and such does not get elected then the country is doomed. I do not like Mitt and I do not like Obama but what am I to do vote for some third party guy that has no chance at all?? No I pick the lesser of the two evils and move on with my life hoping they leave things alone and do not do anything to screw up my day.

That NONE OF THE ABOVE thing from that old Brewster's Millions movie looks pretty good right now.

any way go Steelers

Here's why I disagree. For one, look at the way the TEA party changed the narrative. While I don't agree with many of their more extreme views (namely the segment of the movement that thinks we should practically abolish our Central government), this legitimate grass roots effort has had a remarkable effect on the entire GOP. For people who think that their vote literally means nothing, the easiest example again is the Supreme Court. If we had just ONE more conservative judge, then not even Roberts turn-coating on Obamacare would have mattered, and that whole expensive hot mess would have gone the way of the Dodo.

As for everyday changes, I see it. 90% of my clients are small business people, even have a farmer, and they are all, TO A ONE, struggling. Even the ones doing a ton of business are worried about tax changes and Obamacare. Uncertainty is not just a bumper sticker motto, it's real I hear it every day...
    Fire Goodell