Thread: 3rd-rounder Spence eager to soak in Steelers’ system

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

3rd-rounder Spence eager to soak in Steelers’ system

Sean Spence grew up in Miami, but the Steelers were always his favorite NFL team. As such, he needed anything but a history lesson after the team issued him No. 51 last week.

“I understand James Farrior wore this number,” Spence said. “He’s a great linebacker, but I’m not James Farrior. The things he did I may not be able to do.”

Comparisons to Farrior, who was released earlier this year, are more than just premature, and that explains why Spence was one of the Steelers’ more curious draft picks.

The former Miami Hurricanes standout is not playing Farrior’s old position, and his selection didn’t address a glaring short- or long-term need. But as Hurricanes defensive coordinator Mark D’Onofrio said: “I think the Steelers looked at it and thought they were getting a good football player. I think he’ll be a good fit.”

The question is where. ..........

read more @ http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...-nfl-practices

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Re: 3rd-rounder Spence eager to soak in Steelers’ system

With Farrior, Foote & Timmons between 235 & 243 lbs. I can not understand the apparent concern about Spence coming out of college at 230.

This guy should be quite good.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    With Farrior, Foote & Timmons between 235 & 243 lbs. I can not understand the apparent concern about Spence coming out of college at 230.

Farrior frequently played lighter than 235. He even said so himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Farrior frequently played lighter than 235. He even said so himself.
    Under 220 by the end of the year

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I honestly am excited to see this guy. I hope he becomes a starter and tears it up.

Member Array title="sgtrobo is an unknown quantity at this point">

I absolutely hated this pick at first, but the more I thought about it, the more it occurred to me that the guy is smart, instinctive, hard working, and aggressive. He's not exactly the ideal size, but we've had LBs who were able to excel despite not being "ideal size".

I just hope he doesn't try to play at 230 lbs. I'd like to see him back at his seasonal playing weight, around 218ish.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Didn't fit a glaring short or long-term need? I'd definitely call ILB a long-term need. Beyond this season, we don't know who the hell will be playing there other than Timmons, and even that might be in doubt if we can't find somebody decent to replace Harrison on the outside. I am never surprised to see us pick a linebacker in the first two or three rounds. Except for Bruce Davis, because he didn't really fit the mold of, well ... anything we could use.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Farrior has played at 218lbs
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Farrior has played at 218lbs
    I thought it was more like 215 for the last few years of his career, sometimes 210.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Troy weighs 218 and plays up on the line 3-4 plays a game. We've all seen him penetrate the backfield, too. Spence's weight isn't a concern.
    Fire Goodell

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

From what I have seen (limited, of course), Spence looks like a ball hawk and a good tackler. 2 strong qualities to have.

Senior Member Array title="Pristas has a spectacular aura about"> Pristas's Avatar

Don't count the Steelers out in terms of coming up with a new defense for the NFL. A smaller backer can be disguised more easily and this certainly has it's advantages. Heck, when Timmons is in "raoming" mode, we are more of a 3-3-1-4. Maybe the goal here is to not do the taditional thing at the position.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

There is no concern as he should play the weakside ILB in the 3-4. Only thing that was confusing is that is where Timmons currently plays. So the question will become...is the long term plan for Timmons to move over and Spence to play in Timmons position??

The hopeful emergence of a young 340 lb NT to take up 2 blockers will help our LB's to be able to flow to the ball. I think Hampton's age and injuries have finally caught up to him and his declining play is the reason we became worse vs the run last season.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Guys in the NFL get passed over all the time because of their size, and that can be an issue when you're in a 3-4, but any guy can beat his size by playing above and beyond. What matters is if this guy can play football.