Thread: Steelers have faith in DE depth

Hybrid View

Steelers have faith in DE depth

By not addressing the defensive end position in the 2012 draft, the Front Office sent a very clear message about how they felt about the positions depth.

Somewhere on our roster are the player(s) that will back up the entrenched Brett Kiesel...Cam Heyward...and Ziggy Hood, and since Kiesel is on the wrong side of 30, so It would be reasonable to assume that at least two of the following players will be groomed to be the backups to the future tandem of Heyward/Hood. Lets take a look at the players and discuss who might reasonably see playing time over the next two years.

#65 Al Woods from Louisiana State...6'4 307 pounds. probably the most likely candidate to be the #4 DE on the team. Originally drafted by the Saints in the fourth round (123rd overall) of the 2010 NFL Draft. Signed to the Steelers’ active roster on November 9th 2011, after being released by the Seattle Seahawks to provide depth at the DE position

# 91 Corbin Bryant from Northwestern...6'4 300 pounds....Signed by the Steelers as an undrafted rookie free agent on July 30, 2011. Played in one game against Arizona in week 7 of the season. Strong and hard working. Could become very serviceable with a year or two under his belt. Steelers mentality.

# 66 Mike Blanc from Auburn....from Auburn...6'4 297 pounds...Listed as a DL on the official Steelers roster, but as a DE on NFL.com. Lacks core strength and has trouble seperating from blockers. Has not cracked the roster as of yet. Looks rather soft. I'd be surprised to see him on the roster at the beginning of the season.

# 69 Ikponmwosa Igbinosun...from Southern Connecticut State... 6'4 288...2012 UDFA.....known simply as Ike, wowed scouts during his workout. He posted a vertical jump of 38 inches, a 40 time of 4.94 and three-cone mark of 7.06. Igbinosun has a versatile game as both a run stopper (58 tackles last season) and pass rusher (12 tackles for loss and seven sacks). If he goes on the practice squad...he will be gone in a New York minute. May make the team just because we all miss saying "fuamatu-ma'afala"

#68 Jake Stoller...from Yale..DE 6'3 284...2012 UDFA...Heady player with good size but limited production. Only had 15 Tackles last year but I guess the fact that he managed 4.5 sacks accounts for something. Unless he gets blasted with Gamma rays...or bitten by a radioactive spider....he is camp fodder.

Based on all this...I think Woods is the most likely to be #4 this year, with both/either Bryant and Igbinosun being groomed for the future.

What do you think?
    Last edited by LLT; 05-01-2012 at 01:50 PM.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Re: Steelers have faith in DE depth

# 69 Ikponmwosa Igbinosun

I hope this guy gets cut, and cut early, just so i don't have to try and learn his name....
    Fire Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post

I hope this guy gets cut, and cut early, just so i don't have to try and learn his name....
    (Ik-Pon-Ma-Wa-Sa Ig-Bin-o-sun)...say it with me.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    (Ik-Pon-Ma-Wa-Sa Ig-Bin-o-sun)...say it with me.
    Ikpashbeerashferweretapolyish....

Sorry, can't do it...I like "Ike"...
    Fire Goodell

Ikpashbeerashferweretapolyish....

Sorry, can't do it...I like "Ike"...
    Already got an "Ike"....the way my brain works...that would be more confusing than Ikponmwosa.

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

I bet it was a bad day in elementary school when he had to learn to write his name.
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Member Array title="YoungMoneyFam is an unknown quantity at this point"> YoungMoneyFam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by msafford View Post
    I bet it was a bad day in elementary school when he had to learn to write his name.
    hahahah so true..

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

.known simply as Ike,
    Did he go to this university?

Lil Ike.

Big Ike.

Problem solved.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I like Al Woods. Liked him in college and thought he would be a good prospect. I think we find a place for him on the 53.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I like Al Woods. Liked him in college and thought he would be a good prospect. I think we find a place for him on the 53.
    Totally agree. I think he is a full tier above the rest of the prospects.

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Isaac Redman also goes by Ike.

Ike-arumba. That's way too many Ike's

Junior Member Array title="CLEMENTE21 is an unknown quantity at this point">

At least his name (Ikponmwosa)means something good, "Thank God" .

Member Array title="wvsportsman is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post

LOL!!!!

-- Jack Lambert --

Swaggin' University Array title="ShutDown24 has a spectacular aura about"> ShutDown24's Avatar

Woods makes the roster. And maybe Bryant. Don't forget McLendon can play DE too.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
    Woods makes the roster. And maybe Bryant. Don't forget McLendon can play DE too.
    Agreed. I think McClendon steps into Hoke's role as backup NT/DE

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Hopefully there are betters results than with last season's faithful O-line.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LLT View Post
    had to take a good long gander to realize that wasnt a typo
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

I really like Bryant. It'll be a battle in camp but he had a great showing last year and I thought he was even going to make the team.

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

I think there will be solid DE depth. They like Woods...as they brought him back for a second time. And I like Bryant also...he has shown potential. I'm thinking Woods has the advantage if they keep 4 DEs (plus 3 NTs)...should be interesting...either way if once Keisel is done and these 2 pan out like they should...I would be fine with Hood, Heyward, Woods, and Bryant as the 4 DEs.

Most importantly, a position (well, positionS) that was old and only getting older just a few short months ago is no suddenly bristling with an infusion of youth.
    Fire Goodell

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Credit to Colbert, he started revamping in 2008. Kevin knows his stuff.

We have a great front office team that generates a contender year after year.

Now if they would only fire ...