Thread: Sean Spence Conference Call Transcript

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Sean Spence Conference Call Transcript

SEAN SPENCE
    Linebacker
    3rd Round – 86th Overall
    Re: Coming to a team with a pretty good tradition at linebacker:
    It’s great to come to an organization that always competes for a championship. Having a chance to play here is just a tremendous feeling.

You were a team captain; do you consider yourself a leader?
    I do. I am a guy that is going to work hard, come in and get my one-eleven and give it all for my team. I am a team player. I am going to try to contribute any way I can.

Re: Only doing 12 reps at the combine:
    I had a banged up shoulder, coming from the Senior Bowl. I had a deep bruise. I wanted to compete and show scouts I wasn’t scared. Unfortunately, I only pushed out 12 but I can do more.............

Read more @ http://www.steelers.com/news/article...5-4b540ee73be3

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Re: Sean Spence Conference Call Transcript

Does being a lighter inside linebacker hurt your perception around the league?

I am not sure. My perception doesn’t matter around the league. I am just happy to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. I am glad they saw something in me to pick me.
    Great answer.

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

To be honest, I didn't consider him as a Steelers pick, but he is a very good player, maybe a little underrated because of his size, and I'm sure Dick has a real good idea how he wants to use him. Glad you here Sean.

AML

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    To be honest, I didn't consider him as a Steelers pick, but he is a very good player, maybe a little underrated because of his size, and I'm sure Dick has a real good idea how he wants to use him. Glad you here Sean.
    I loved Sean Spence throughout the later part of the season. Got to see a few Miami games and he was absolutely everywhere.

I always thought he was a 4-3 OLB. Those who follow the draft threads will recall that I reached a little by dubbing him a larger, slightly slower version of Troy Polamalu.

I love the pick. I think you will find he winds up having a career like Zach Thomas. He will be a classic over-achiever who makes plays that he looks like he shouldnt. He looks small, he looks slow, but I gaurantee you he has one of the quickest football brains (game time reaction speed) that I have observed in a long while.

He will be a good one. Timmons, Sly and Spence will be formidable group of ILB's down the line.

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

That's what impressed me from reading up on him: Smarts, and read/recognize skills.

One of the intangibles that Farrior brought to the table was leadership. It sounds like Spence is a field general...it's exactly what the doctor ordered.

Speaking of Farrior, it proves that the system is everything. He was drafted 8th overall by the Jets, but barely played for 4 years. He was labeled a bust, then came over and excelled as a Steeler. I know Spence is smallish, but the Eagles and Cowboys have been proving that there is definitely a place in the NFL for smaller LB's. Look at Brian Rolle, or Dat Nguyen in Dallas before him. You don't have to be 6'4" and 250 to play LB in the NFL.
    Fire Goodell

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
    I loved Sean Spence throughout the later part of the season. Got to see a few Miami games and he was absolutely everywhere.

I always thought he was a 4-3 OLB. Those who follow the draft threads will recall that I reached a little by dubbing him a larger, slightly slower version of Troy Polamalu.

I love the pick. I think you will find he winds up having a career like Zach Thomas. He will be a classic over-achiever who makes plays that he looks like he shouldnt. He looks small, he looks slow, but I gaurantee you he has one of the quickest football brains (game time reaction speed) that I have observed in a long while.

He will be a good one. Timmons, Sly and Spence will be formidable group of ILB's down the line.
    I would take that. They said the same thing about Zach (too small) but Jimmy Johnson loved him.

I really can't wait to see him and Rainey in preseason.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

I like the pick, he always is moving towards the football and making plays. Mycal Kendricks was obviously picked ahead of him, but I saw Kendricks as standing around and letting the play come to him in the run game.

Only thing is that Spence should play the weakside ILB and that means Timmons should have to move over to the strongside if they end up as a tandem in years to come. I know the Sylvester fans will think he has the inside track to the backup spot, but I think Spence will quickly show he is a better ILB than Sylvester.

Senior Member Array title="HollywoodSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> HollywoodSteel's Avatar

I remember another inside linebacker that the Steelers once drafted that was considered too light and too slow. A middle linebacker actually...

Okay, there really is no one ever who can be fairly compared to that guy, but it does go to show that physical limitations can be overcome by brains and a passion for the game.