Thread: Diminutive Rainey hopes for big impact with Steelers

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Diminutive Rainey hopes for big impact with Steelers

Chris Rainey is not and never will be a traditional running back. That's OK with the Steelers. They just want him to be an threat every time he steps on the field.

Rainey, the latest Florida Gator to be drafted by the Steelers, says he fills the bill.

"I can play running back. I can play slot. I can play special teams ... wherever they want me, because I'm a playmaker all around," he said. "I fell that I fit perfect with the offense."

The Steelers agree. That's why they picked Rainey in the fifth round of the draft. He may be a scatback who's only 5-foot-8 and 178 pounds. But with dazzling speed and elusiveness, he was one of the most exciting playmakers in the Southeastern Conference last season.

Rainey has said on more than one occasion that he hopes to one day run the 40-yard dash in 4.1 seconds (no one really believed him). He "only" ran the 40 in 4.45 seconds at the NFL Combine in February. But in March, he improved to 4.36 at his on-campus pro day.................

read more @ http://burgh.us/e72

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: Diminutive Rainey hopes for big impact with Steelers

Punt returner. He needs to add weight to last more than a season as a RB.
    All Defense!

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Punt returner. He needs to add weight to last more than a season as a RB.
    That's exactly what everyone said about Darren Sproles. It's not like the kid's going to ever be a feature back. Ideally, you want him to get 5-7 offensive touches a game tops...
    Fire Goodell

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

Position versatility as the #5 receiver/#5 runningback, I'll take it

I hope Batch can make his comeback, but if he doesn't I'm sure Rainey will do a fine job
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Senior Member Array title="steeldawg is a jewel in the rough">

Ya think about it.....you get rainey wallace brown and sanders on the field at one time thats alot of speed for a defense to deal with

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    That's exactly what everyone said about Darren Sproles
    Precisely! Sproles is shorter and slightly heavier, but its a great comparison. Sproles has the ability to make things happen...I think Rainey has the same ability.

Swaggin' University Array title="ShutDown24 has a spectacular aura about"> ShutDown24's Avatar

I can see Rainey playing a Percy Harvin role here. Slot guy, tailback, returner... As far as his size goes, he should be okay. It's not like he's going to carry the ball 30 times a game. I'm very excited to see what he can do.

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

i too am excited to see what he can do

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Wildcat Steelers fan Array title="steelersfanman92 is an unknown quantity at this point"> steelersfanman92's Avatar

I see him a Dexter McCluster like role. He is really explosive and can make some big plays whether in the return game, in the slot, or in the backfield. He is going to be a fun guy to watch.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

hell, Rainey's got 10 pounds on McCluster. McCluster still runs the ball quite a bit and he's been successful so im sure Rainey could do it too. He's arguably as explosive, ball skills and skills as a receiver/returner arent quite as good but still
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

I'm am excited to see what Rainey can do as well. Just about every highlight I saw of him after we drafted him was him catching the ball out of the back field which I loved.

He is definitely not going to be a featured back but he should be able to help us in other areas.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

Senior Member Array title="Buckinnuts is on a distinguished road"> Buckinnuts's Avatar

KNOCKIN ON 7'S DOOR!

Black & Gold Metal Array title="SteelGhost is on a distinguished road"> SteelGhost's Avatar

Nice little weapon !!! I hope he adds some versatility to the offensive arsenal

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

very impressive balance in that clip
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.