Thread: Grading each of our picks

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Grading each of our picks

1st: Dave Decastro

2nd: Mike Adams

3rd: Sean Spence

4th: Ta'amu

5th: Chris Rainey

Swaggin' University Array title="ShutDown24 has a spectacular aura about"> ShutDown24's Avatar

Re: Grading each of our picks

1st: Dave DeCastro: A+

2nd: Mike Adams: B+

3rd: Sean Spence: B

4th: Alameda Ta'amu: A+

5th: Chris Rainey: A

7th: Toney Clemons: B

7th: David Paulson: C+

7th: Terrence Frederick: B

7th: Kelvin Beachum: B+

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

the only pick i absolutely hated was david paulson, but he's a 7th rounder so no worries at all. I have never seen such a small tight end that is so painfully slow and unathletic, and mediocre at blocking all in the same package.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Shutdown u give toney Clemons an A u think he's the real deal and crack the line up?

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

A b sorry

Swaggin' University Array title="ShutDown24 has a spectacular aura about"> ShutDown24's Avatar

I can't comment on his consistency as I've only seen extended highlights of him, but I like him. He's definitely got some shifty moves... Attacks defenders as hard as he attacks the ball... Catches the ball well in traffic and turns upfield with it... Goes above defenders to make plays...

Reminds me of a bigger Emmanuel Sanders maybe. He has the talent, now it's about showing that talent on a down to down basis. He should get great coaching, so it's a possibility. Although, I guess I could have said that for Sweed too and we all know how that worked out.

As far as him cracking the lineup... We're probably looking at 2 - 3 seasons before he gets much active time on the offensive squad. Brown, Wallace, Sanders and Cotchery are going to be a tough group to get ahead of on the DC... Even if Wallace leaves next off-season. But in regards to him making the roster, I don't see why not - granted he goes hard on ST.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

1st: Dave Decastro - A+

2nd: Mike Adams - B

3rd: Sean Spence - B

4th: Ta'amu - C

5th: Chris Rainey - D+

The Steelers passed on some good/better prospects (Lucas Nix G, DaJohn Harris DT, Greg Zuerlein K, Jeff Fuller WR, Josh Chapman NT)

I think the first 4 will make the team. Rainey's chances depend on how Batch plays and how the rest of the roster evolves in terms of need. Rainey will need to make some splash plays in pre-season.

Note: The Steelers undrafted acquisition Drew Butler may win the punting job. He was listed as the best or 2nd best punter in the draft by many scouts.
    Hater = Realist

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

The first four picks were all about value. The last five were about versatility. Not a bad combination and like I said in another thread, every position coach except for QBs got a new draft pick to play around with. I bet it's an electric atmosphere right now. I managed to watch at least one game on all of our prospects except for Rainey. Here are the scouting reports for the players I looked at before they became Steelers and then write-ups for guys I looked at after they were picked.

1. David DeCastro

1.David DeCastro/Stanford: 6’4/7 316
    The Good

- Near perfect , consistent leverage in the run game
    - Above average upper body strength
    - Great first step off the line
    - Does well in space, can hit a moving target
    - Able to chip/get to/stick at 2nd level
    - Asset on trap blocks
    - Correct hand placement
    - Good foundation in pass protection
    - Shows ability to slide and mirror
    - Good awareness, smart in blitz pickup
    - Durable
    The Bad
    - Slender build, not as much muscle as I anticipated
    - Average arm length (just under 33 inches)
    - On the ground a little more than I’d like
    - Will get too high in pass protection from time to time
    - Won’t always be able to stick on contact though not major issue
    Other
    - Three year starter at right guard
    - Didn’t appear to miss a start in his career
    Final Word
    Very impressive prospect though perhaps not the top ten pick some are making him out to be. Will need to hit an NFL weight room but a sure fire quality starter who will go in the top half of the first round.
    Games Watched
    At Arizona, vs Notre Dame
    [B]

------

I really don't need to add much here. The report speaks for itself and you guys have covered DeCastro pretty well over the weekend. Great value and was really the only "need" we had on the line. It sounds like he'll be a RG. I kind of want him to play on the left side because we pull so much from LG but then again, Haley will have some different blocking schemes. It sounds like that he's going to do quite a bit of pulling no matter what side he's on.

2. Mike Adams

Mike Adams/Ohio St: 6’7/2 323
    The Good

- Big body with room to add on
    - Long arms (34 inches) and big hands (10 7/8)
    - Gets proper leverage in run game
    - Capable of throwing his weight around
    - Solid in blitz/stunt pickup
    - Plays to the whistle
    - Serviceable lateral movement
    - Pretty good starting experience
    The Bad
    - A little slow off the snap
    - Foundation is shaky, will double over and play too high in other instances
    - Lacks a strong first punch
    - Can get bull rushed in pass protection, doesn’t anchor that well
    - Has some trouble sticking on contact, will fall off
    - Flatback, head will come down in run blocking
    - Isn’t very good in space
    - Not always as strong as you’d expect
    - Slight character issues
    Other
    - 25 career starts for Buckeyes
    - 2010 First Team Big Ten, second team in 2011
    - Suspended for first five games after being involved in Ohio St tattoo scandal
    Final Word
    Needs some refinement in technique and other scouts have questioned his consistency. But if he finds the right coach and the right team, he has a shot to become a mauling run blocker at right tackle.
    Games Watched
    Vs Wisconsin, at Michigan (Half)
    [B]

--------

I'm mixed. I totally get the value of the pick. He carried a first round grade and has the upside to fufill that. So from that standpoint, it's a solid pick. But I'm not even too worried about his character. The team has made it very clear, internally and externally, that there's no margin for error with him. Talk about calling a kid out, that's what Colbert and Tomlin did in their press conferences.

I just think he's a sloppy kid in both phases who needs quite a bit of coaching. He doubles over a lot because he's 6'7, doesn't always stick on contact, and doesn't always play as strong as a guy his size should be. I did only see one game on him, so take for what it's worth, but I never went "Wow, the chracter issues are the only concern with him." When he looks great, he looks dominate. But that doesn't always happen.

3. Sean Spence/ILB Miami (FL)

Watched him against UNC. As most have pointed out, he's undersized at 5'11 231 with 31 1/2 arms, pretty short for an ILB who is going to look to shed guards. But as the coaches have pointed out, his athletic ability and first step is an "identifiable" trait to me. When you put on the tape on him and you're trying to follow him each play, you know exactly which 'backer he is off the snap because of how quick he is. That's unique and it's nice to get a guy with that kind of trait in the third. He was asked to do everything at the "U" be it blitz or drop into coverage. Though he isn't much of a pass rusher which is fine. Basically, this is what it boils down to.

If Spence can use his quick hands and ability to shed in "congestion" plays, find the ballcarrier, attack, and finish, he's going to be a starting ILB. But if he gets washed out and can't get off blocks at the pro level, I don't think he'll stick.

One reason I thought of as to why he was drafted was as a counter measure to offenses. Teams are loading up on athletic tight ends (think Evan Moore in Cleveland, Dickson/Pitta in Baltimore, Gresham and newly drafted Orson Charles in Cincy) and getting speed everywhere on the offense. We, and the rest of defenses, have to be able to counter that with speed of our own. And as Keith Butler talked about, gone are the iso plays where it's a FB coming downhill on the linebacker. You can disrupt plays by attacking a gap before a pulling guard or tight end is able to come in and fill it.

4. Alamedu Ta'amu/NT Washington

Alamedu Ta’amu/Washington: 6’3 348
    The Good

- Huge frame that carries his weight well
    - Exceptional strength
    - Coordinated player, brings his lower half for the ride to help derive power
    - Good hustle
    - Disruptive in the run game, gets penetration and will force the play wide
    - Heady player, will get hands up to bat down passes
    - Conditioning seems spectacular, rarely off the field
    - Will attract some double teams
    - Used on the occasional stunt
    - Big-hitter
    - Lots of starting experience
    - Good production for position
    - Durable
    The Bad
    - Doesn’t do a good job of extending his arms, lets OL into his pads too easily
    - Will get washed out of some plays
    - Has trouble getting off some blocks
    - Certainly not a dynamic pass rusher
    Other
    - 42 starts in career
    - 14 TFL, 6 sacks final two seasons
    - Typically played in either “A” gap and kicked over to DE in odd packages
    - Two time Huskie Defensive Lineman of the Year
    - Name is pronounced: “Al-a-me-da Ta-MOO”
    Final Word
    A quality zero tech prospect who will be even better with just a little bit of coaching.
    Games Watched
    At Nebraska

[B]

-----------

I liked Chapman better but no complaints about this pick. Plus, it seemed like Chapman was off our draft board so I'll defer to the FO on this one. Again, just got a game in on him, but I dind't see his conditioning being an issue. He never came off the field against Nebraska. Of cuorse, any guy that is that big will have to monitor his weight (especially in the offseason) but there's already a plan in place or one soon to be put in place for him. John Mitchell said Ta'amu will meet with Giemont first, get a plan together, figure out a target weight, and then go from there. You look at a 3-4 defense and it all starts around getting a plugger at nose tackle. That helps open up a smaller guy like Sean Spence, too.

5. Chris Rainey/RB Florida

I wrote "RB" but he's really just an athlete. Versatility and explosiveness are the words that come to mind with Rainey. It's a nice change of direction after rounding up a bunch of more or less straight-line, bigger downhill runners (excluding Batch and to an extent, Mendenhall). You're looking for a player that can be a matchup problem. Use him on a draw play, throw a screen to him, swing pass out of the backfield, get him involved in the return game. When a guy has speed, you'll be able to find a way to use it.

7. Toney Clemons/WR Colorado

Local kid from Valley High School. Have a friend who was a freshman at Valley when he was a junior. Got a limited look of him, just one game from his junior year. And as an aside, Colorado's offense was awful that game so it's tough to get much of a read off of him.

He's a legit 6'2. Thick kid. I wouldn't buy into the 40 times. He's a guy that takes awhile to build up his speed. You won't see him start to run unless he's running a nine route. Will need to learn to use his hands effectively vs press coverage. Because odds are any corner that is going to press is going to have leverage against Clemons' 6'2 frame. That's about all I could get from one game.

Had a great end to his career. Four of his last five games saw him go for 95+ including a 100+, 2 TD showing against USC. Made a good point in constantly having a new coaching staff each year and finally being able to find his groove late in the year. Got a little bit of work in the return game, too. So there's something there though I'm not ready to annoint him as the #5 yet.

7. David Paulson/TE Oregon

Tweener at 6'3 246. Jack of all trades, master of none. Oregon used him all over the place. On the line, off it, out wide, in the slot, in the backfield. He was asked to run block, pass block, block/release, and of course, be a receiver. His speed is just average. He is a willing blocker who holds his ground, getting his arms extended though his strength is also nothing special. Certainly not a lock to make the 53 and he won't take the job from David Johnson. Versatility does give him on advantage over Pope. The more hats you wear, the quicker you'll get a helmet.

7. Terrence Fredrick/CB Texas A&M

5'10 187. Plays bigger. Long kid who can high point the football. Appears to be smart, instinctive. Closes quickly, able to punch the pocket of the receiver. Thing I most like about him is his willingness to get his nose dirty. 19 TFL, 6 sacks in his career. And it shows up on tape, too. Used on run and pass blitzes. Strong, reliable tackler though make no mistake, he isn't a hard hitter who will take your head off. But he's a limited athlete who is stricly a zone corner (fine in our scheme). He ran in the 4.5's at the Combine and that matches up on tape.

Still, you're getting a 45 game starter vs Big 12 competition who fits our scheme well. Physical, willing to seek out the run, and is a sound tackler. What you see is what you get but in the 7th, that's not always a bad thing.

7. Kelvin Beachum/OT SMU

6'3 303 with 33 1/2 inch arms. Got one game on him though it was against Houston. Decent job out of his stance, really liked his ability to mirror. Plays with excellent bend, not one of those tall tackles who always has to fight to bend at the knees. Sticks and drives on contact in the run game. Probably doesn't have an elite quality. Served on student Board of Trustees so character seems to check out although I'm obviously speculating a bit. Absorbs contact well, can take a punch from a DE. Issue I saw was the fact he'd let DEs get into his pads in pass protection. 52 game starter at left tackle. Seems that he's going to kick inside to guard but hey, Colon is 6'4 listed (probably 6'3) and Beachum doesn't have short arms. They're not the longest but 33 1/2 may be enough at LT.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

^I really disagree with your analysis of Paulson. I haaaate that pick so much but im ok with it just because its such a late round pick. For a smaller tight end, you'd think he'd be a lot faster or athletic but he's neither. Pretty weak blocker imo, i just dont see his upside.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    ^I really disagree with your analysis of Paulson. I haaaate that pick so much but im ok with it just because its such a late round pick. For a smaller tight end, you'd think he'd be a lot faster or athletic but he's neither. Pretty weak blocker imo, i just dont see his upside.
    I don't think he carries a lot of upside. But he's a guy that can contribute to many facets of your offense which is always a plus, especially in the 7th.

I'm not thrilled with the pick but I don't hate it either. We'll see how he looks in camp going up against the vet Haley knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    7. Toney Clemons/WR Colorado

Local kid from Valley High School. Have a friend who was a freshman at Valley when he was a junior. Got a limited look of him, just one game from his junior year. And as an aside, Colorado's offense was awful that game so it's tough to get much of a read off of him.

He's a legit 6'2. Thick kid. I wouldn't buy into the 40 times. He's a guy that takes awhile to build up his speed. You won't see him start to run unless he's running a nine route. Will need to learn to use his hands effectively vs press coverage. Because odds are any corner that is going to press is going to have leverage against Clemons' 6'2 frame. That's about all I could get from one game.

Had a great end to his career. Four of his last five games saw him go for 95+ including a 100+, 2 TD showing against USC. Made a good point in constantly having a new coaching staff each year and finally being able to find his groove late in the year. Got a little bit of work in the return game, too. So there's something there though I'm not ready to annoint him as the #5 yet.
    My ex girlfriend was a year behind him at Valley. Wish I would have gotten a look at him. I knew there was a buzz around him and would have liked to of seen a game, but to be frank I hated doing anything with her HS haha so I never did. Kicking myself now.

Quote Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
    My ex girlfriend was a year behind him at Valley. Wish I would have gotten a look at him. I knew there was a buzz around him and would have liked to of seen a game, but to be frank I hated doing anything with her HS haha so I never did. Kicking myself now.
    From what the kid told me, Clemons had a bad attitude in high school. But a lot of high school stars develop an ego and after a rough college career, who knows what he is like now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chidi29 View Post
    From what the kid told me, Clemons had a bad attitude in high school. But a lot of high school stars develop an ego and after a rough college career, who knows what he is like now.
    Heard the same things. I guess he really thought he was some kind of bigshot. That's annoying, but to your point I bet most of the guys in the league were the same way in highschool. Hopefully he underwent an attitude adjustment at Colorado.

AKA Bullet Tooth Tony Array title="tony hipchest will become famous soon enough">

overall, i give this draft an 'A'. if chris rainey legally changes his last name to "HE HATE ME II" i will not only raise that grade to an 'A+' but buy the jersey as well.

if kelvin beachum wins the long snapper job we will win the superbowl and that will also raise it to an 'A+".

im glad we didnt overcrowd position battles (even for practice squad spots), which shows we arent giving up on guys like will allen, d. cromartie smith, myron rolle, s. stevenson, c. carter, spann, batch, rainey, etc. our third day draft prospects all seem to have a unique and specific skill set that gives them a legitimate shot to succeed and stick with the team.
    [SIGPIC]http://avatarfarm.com/avatarimages/movies/getitatporkysavatar.gif[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
    overall, i give this draft an 'A'. if chris rainey legally changes his last name to "HE HATE ME II" i will not only raise that grade to an 'A+' but buy the jersey as well.

if kelvin beachum wins the long snapper job we will win the superbowl and that will also raise it to an 'A+".

im glad we didnt overcrowd position battles (even for practice squad spots), which shows we arent giving up on guys like will allen, d. cromartie smith, myron rolle, s. stevenson, c. carter, spann, batch, rainey, etc. our third day draft prospects all seem to have a unique and specific skill set that gives them a legitimate shot to succeed and stick with the team.

Needs to change it to

"YINZ HATE ME"

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

(Using Shutdown's mold)

1st: Dave DeCastro: A+

2nd: Mike Adams: B+

3rd: Sean Spence: B+

4th: Alameda Ta'amu: A+

5th: Chris Rainey: A

7th: Toney Clemons: B

7th: David Paulson: C

7th: Terrence Frederick: C+

7th: Kelvin Beachum: B-