Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris Rainey

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Chris Rainey

He can be a Darren Sproles type guy

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Chris Rainey

Let's hope that's what he is, and not a Willie Parker type guy.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Latin Steel Array title="SMR has a spectacular aura about"> SMR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Let's hope that's what he is, and not a Willie Parker type guy.
    I 2nd that!
    WE are the NFL's All-Time Dynasty!

why?

Willie Parker has been very good for the Steelers during 3 years

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Good role player! More dynamic than Baron Batch. I expect one of them to not make the roster.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    why?

Yep. He'd still be our feature back if he hadn't suffered a freak injury.

I like the pick. We're just drafting for depth in rounds 5 and 7 anyway.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Looks like a Todd Haley experiment.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

why?

Don't get me started on Parker ... but basically all he did was put up good fantasy numbers. Couldn't catch, couldn't block, couldn't really run. 75% of his runs were probably for 1 yard or less, then he made up for it on the stat sheet with the occasional 20-yard run. Looks great on paper, but really just kills drives and makes the offense jerky and stilted. First year without Parker as the main starter, we won the Super Bowl.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I thought this pick was better served drafting a DB. I don't know how he fits on the roster with all the RBs we have

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I thought this pick was better served drafting a DB. I don't know how he fits on the roster with all the RBs we have
    If Mewelde and Mendenhall aren't in, he fits in just fine. Draft isn't deep at CB, and Chris Rainey was a BPA at this point. He's also a good special teams player, and i'm sure he'll be making kick and punt returns, limiting Sanders chances of getting injured, as Brown's no longer the return man. Great pick, it'll pay off.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bayz101 View Post
    If Mewelde and Mendenhall aren't in, he fits in just fine.

Draft isn't deep at CB, and Chris Rainey was a BPA at this point.

He's also a good special teams player,

and i'm sure he'll be making kick and punt returns, limiting Sanders chances of getting injured, as Brown's no longer the return man.

Great pick, it'll pay off.
    I think the pick made good sense...as far as paying off, I sure hope so.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

C'mon gotta love he hate me lil brother! he has already thrown the gauntlet down with wallace saying he is faster than him!!

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    I think the pick made good sense...as far as paying, I sure hope so.
    The thing is, we entered the season with a HUGE stable of running backs. At the end of the season we we're without our Starting Running Back Mendenhall, and a veteran backup in Mewelde Moore. Mewelde is reportedly not returning, and Mendenhall with start the season on the PuP. This pick makes sense for depth, and it makes sense in the sense that we'll need another return guy to sit behind or in front of Sanders. Sanders may very well be a starter for us next year if he remains healthy, and if that's the case, they'll probably want to limit his chance of injury by throwing the rookie into return duties.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

I know he looks like an idiot for saying he expected to run a 4.1 40 yard dash (ran a 4.45 official) but the kid has RIDICULOUS change of direction speed if you've watched him play
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    I know he looks like an idiot for saying he expected to run a 4.1 40 yard dash (ran a 4.45 official) but the kid has RIDICULOUS change of direction speed if you've watched him play
    He's a good friend of Jeff Demps, and I recall Demps saying that he's lost races to Rainey three or four times. Demps is FAST in pads, but he decided to go into the Olympics rather than the NFL:

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Waste of a pick. They drafted Batch for this role last season. He is also a headcase being as he was arrested for stalking and threatening his ex-g/f.
    Hater = Realist

Swaggin' University Array title="ShutDown24 has a spectacular aura about"> ShutDown24's Avatar

What the hell was wrong with Parker? When that dude was in his prime he was one of the best backs in the league. If Rainey has a Willie Parker type career I'll be thrilled.

Rainey is Dexter McCluster - but faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Waste of a pick. They drafted Batch for this role last season. He is also a headcase being as he was arrested for stalking and threatening his ex-g/f.
    I heard the same thing when the Steelers had drafted Antonio Brown in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
    What the hell was wrong with Parker? When that dude was in his prime he was one of the best backs in the league. If Rainey has a Willie Parker type career I'll be thrilled.
    A lot, and no he wasn't even close, and I wouldn't. Anyway, hopefully it's a moot point.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I heard the same thing when the Steelers had drafted Antonio Brown in 2010
    I heard the same thing when they drafted Alonzo Jackson. See how that works?
    Hater = Realist

Oh yeah, that's just what we need, another 5th-round CB that doesn't pan out.

Now that we've taken care of the OL and hopefully NT (finally), I'd say DB has got to be one of the top priorities for the early rounds next year. Our guys aren't getting any younger back there, either.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

What RB's. We know Redman can be a great starter, Memo doesnt look like he's coming back and wasnt that good anymore anyways, we dont know how productive Mendenhall will be after his injury, and we barely know anything about Dwyer and Clay. Dont make anyone laugh by gushing about what Dwyer and Clay can do because we all know they've hardly done anything yet in the NFL. Dwyer ripped off one long run to put him over 100 against a beatdown against the titans and Clay scored a TD against the worst run defense in the league. If Redman went down for good, would you honestly be brimming with confidence about having dwyer and clay starting for the long run?

Batch is in the same boat as Mendenhall except we havent seen him play a down yet. Granted, Rainey will probably just be more of a role player but hey, an extra gadget weapon for us will be a great add on with the O-line talent we just got

A lot, and no he wasn't even close, and I wouldn't. Anyway, hopefully it's a moot point.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    C'mon, ease up on the "eeyor" attitude Steeldude.

You can't call him a bust because of Batch or a run in with his girlfriend?

After the 3rd round it's a virtual crap shoot anyway.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Swaggin' University Array title="ShutDown24 has a spectacular aura about"> ShutDown24's Avatar

I'm not going to get in a big Parker debate here, but I can't let it slide completely. He lacked power and couldn't catch, but he was at least an average blocker. And when his vision was on he was ridiculously dynamic as a pure ball carrier. You can dislike his skills all you want, that's a matter of opinion - but the production cannot be disputed. He had some fantastic years.

I'm not going to get in a big Parker debate here, but I can't let it slide completely. He lacked power and couldn't catch, but he was at least an average blocker. And when his vision was on he was ridiculously dynamic as a pure ball carrier. You can dislike his skills all you want, that's a matter of opinion - but the production cannot be disputed. He had some fantastic years.
    I'm pretty sure he holds the record for longest rushing touchdown in the Super Bowl, EVER. It's silly to say he wasn't effective, he was easily one of the best Running Backs in the NFL in his prime, not just the best on our Roster.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Rainey is Dexter McCluster - but faster.
    Everything above QFT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

C'mon, ease up on the "eeyor" attitude Steeldude.

And that is really the bottom line. Whining about a 5th-round pick is a waste of time and space, when 95% of them don't even make it to the practice squad.

I didn't call him a bust. You are right, it is a crap shoot. I feel it would have been better to roll the dice on a DB. Also, even though it's a K, but I would have rather used it on Greg Zuerlein.
    Hater = Realist

All those "great" years that Parker had really strike me as years where he did a great job filling out a stat sheet but detracted from our efforts to win important games. He got the great majority of his yards, and had almost every one of his "big games," against shitty opponents who we could overpower in every phase of the game. Inevitably, when we played against another winning team, it was 21 yards on 19 carries. You can look this up in the game logs if you really want to; it's all there plain as day. So yes, his production can be disputed, because most of it was irrelevant fantasy football yardage. The fact that he had poor skills probably had a lot to do with that.

At any rate, yeah, we're probably not going to agree and I've made my point for everyone to hear, so there's probably no use dragging this on. Out of respect for keeping things somewhat on-topic, I'm going to shut up about Parker now.
    See you Space Cowboy ...