Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we witnessing the perfect draft?

Hybrid View

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Are we witnessing the perfect draft?

I don't know about you guy but I am absulotely thrilled about every pick those far ! We pretty much got every guy that we really wanted. I got a feeling where going to see a lot of these names on our team for a long time...

If there is any way to have a perfect draft I feel like the steelers are having it this weekend. I know we won't be able to tell u til they actually play for a couple yer but right now I am really pumped!

What do you guys think?

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

Re: Are we witnessing the perfect draft?

It is a good draft but I don't know if I would call it the perfect draft. I am sure once the season start we will see some down side to some of the players. I thought when we drafted Sweed he was a sure fire bet but look where he is now. Right now the draft is sounding good but I will take the wait and see aproach.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

There is no such thing as the "perfect draft."

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    This.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
    '74 was as close as it got.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I'm excited, but any or all of these guys could turn out to be a complete bellyflop for reasons nobody saw coming. I'm also not very sure about our third-round pick, but again, who knows.

I will say one thing: Rarely have I ever seen the team's needs coincide so well with the players who fall to them. Normally we seem to get one guy who fills a glaring need, and for the other 6 picks you might as well throw darts at the wall.

Will be interesting to see who we land with our garbage picks in the 7th round. If we wind up with a kicker and maybe even a FB to try out, I'll be quite impressed.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Looks good. Final decision will be made in a couple of seasons. I'd be happy if 50% of our picks pan out.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The Steelers have four 7th round picks that will likely not be on the team after Training camp.

There is not such thing a perfect draft, anyway.

Black and Gold Lantern Array title="The Duke is just really nice"> The Duke's Avatar

it could be

but any other previous draft could have been too. I am excited though
    "We're a team. There's no offense. There's no defense. There's no special teams. We're one. We're a band of brothers." – Ben Roethlisberger

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    it could be

but any other previous draft could have been too. I am excited though
    I don't know about that.

THIS draft was pretty underwhelming the next day:
    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...2008_draft.htm

I'd also say it was pretty obvious this one had a lot wrong with it from Day One:
    http://www.pro-football-reference.co...2006_draft.htm

Course, in hindsight, I can also probably say I got more excited about guys like Frank Summers than I should have been at the time.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Course, in hindsight, I can also probably say I got more excited about guys like Frank Summers than I should have been at the time.
    Im guilty as charged...
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

DeCastro and Ta'amu excite me. Spence is okay but I have some concerns about his height. Rainey and Adams, no

Swaggin' University Array title="ShutDown24 has a spectacular aura about"> ShutDown24's Avatar

This could be as close as we've gotten since 74. I've already been hearing comparisons. And while I think it's early, I can't blame people. This draft has been amazing from the outset.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
    This could be as close as we've gotten since 74. I've already been hearing comparisons. And while I think it's early, I can't blame people. This draft has been amazing from the outset.
    and boy did we need it
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

I love how things played out situationally, but your round 1-2 picks are supposed to be good players anyway. I think the question of whether it's a "great" draft largely hinges on whether the fat man turns out to be a good NT, or just a fat guy. Or if we got another hidden gem in rounds 3-7. We won't know for another year or two at least.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Don't you mean 87? http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...st-draft-class

we won't know anything until 5 to 7 years from now on the short end. How many of us thought, after the 08 season, that picking Santo was a great pick? In the end however, with all his problems, not so great.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Don't you mean 87? http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...st-draft-class

we won't know anything until 5 to 7 years from now on the short end. How many of us thought, after the 08 season, that picking Santo was a great pick? In the end however, with all his problems, not so great.
    I don't know about that, Santonio's career with us was short but it was pretty spectacular. If only he could have stayed clean what may have happened??? If I had to say what I thought of Santonio's time here I would call it short but sweet.

I don't want him back, he's burned that bridge in my books but I will never forget what he did when he was here. At least he was far from being a bust.

Semi anonymous poster Array title="Kaeg is an unknown quantity at this point">

Mayock says he loves all our picks so far. Counting through the 5th round so far, anyway. I respect him, so I'll take his word. They say Rainey is as fast as Wallace. NFL Network dudes grading us at this point as an A. Bengals A. Ravens and Browns C. Sounds like a good start, but of course it's early.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Santonio Holmes was a very good pick...Holmes was one of the reasons why the Steelers won the super bowl in 2008

Senior Member Array title="Pristas has a spectacular aura about"> Pristas's Avatar

I think as Steelers fans we always want to have that "best draft ever" hope to hold onto. It's a great feeling thinking you've just done the impossible.Reality is that not everyone will pan out. That said, the players we have selected all seem to be very specific role players and each one, thus far, could potentially find themselves in a starting position on the field. That would be an amazing success as far as drafts are concerned. Now if one of these guys actually goes "Polamalu" on us, then it's a HUGE success. Problem is, we already have a Polamalu, a Big Ben, and some bigtime playmakers on the starting squad. These rookies are really being measaured against Hall of Fame talent that is playing on the field day in and day out. What will be really interesting is to see how Cam Heyward progresses. I think Hood was a great pick, but he is not as dominant as I would have liked to have seen. Pouncey continues to dominate and if he stays healthy and nabs another 5 pro-bowls and a SB ring, he's probably a HOF type player too. Our cornerbacks are great, linebackers great, wide receivers great, but none of them are HOF candidates.

So what can we expect from this draft? A massive improvement to our o line. DeCastro should become our next consistent pro bowler, and our offense is going to surge this year, if everyone (I'm looking at you Ben) embraces Haley's new playbook.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Let me rephrase almost perfect! ... but what I am saying if these players pan out we could be looking back at this draft and compare it to the 74 draft..

I no its early but this look great for future and immediate future!

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Obviously we won't really know for a few years. But in terms of instant analysis, this was the perfect draft. We filled every major, immediate need AND we did it with players who shouldn't have still been on the board at that position.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

I remember reading what the press had to say after the '74 draft. They only saw Swanie as the only legitimate pick, and Lambert was to skinny and can't remember what they said about Stallworth but it wasn't a very glowing indorsement.

That being said IMHO a draft like that would be hard if not impossible to ever replicate again, but we can always hope, pray and dream. At least it will be fun to watch training camp this year.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

http://community.foxsports.com/thesu...remotely_close

Might not be the best draft in history, but has that organized approach to fix needs as well as find better players. Definitely different than if Arians was still OC. More infastructure and support rather than pedigree skill players and defensive stars.
    All Defense!

Just happy to be here!! Array title="Polamalu Princess has a reputation beyond repute"> Polamalu Princess's Avatar

We have done well.

Angel Baby Faith our one and only 1/11/00 - 9/9/16 We love you.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

This was a good draft, but I don't know if we'll ever see a draft class beat the class of '74.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

That '71 class was pretty solid, too. Maybe the Haley karma will rub off on this one.

Spaghetti Time Array title="Chidi29 has a reputation beyond repute"> Chidi29's Avatar

I'm happy. I still have questions about Adams' ability, not as much his character actually because I think the team has made clear there's no margin for error, but he's a sloppy kid with a lot of technique issues in both phases. Still, the raw overall talent is tough to pass up in round two.

Excited to get eyes on Spence in a few minutes and while I don't know much about Fredrickson, you have to respect a guy with 45 starts in the Big 12 who showed he could get his nose dirty with 6 career sacks and 19 TFL.

Look at it this way. Aside from the QBs coach, and Fitchner has a good one to work with in Ben, every position coach is getting one or more new faces to bring in. That makes this a group of guys that has to be very excited.

Senior Member Array title="PalmerSteel is on a distinguished road"> PalmerSteel's Avatar

on paper, looks like a one of the best drafts we have ever had vs. draft position and team improvements needed. problem is things dont pan out how they are on paper alot of times so we will see on the gridiron how it pans out. if we get at least 2 more championships within the next 5 years, then this draft will probably be a big reason why and then we might be able to say it was a perfect or great draft. for now, at the least it gives us some extra fist pumping to do until the season begins!
    "I think they can count on me. And I want them to be able to count on me."
    ~ Big Ben Roethlisberger, 2005

Member Array title="UltimateBengal is an unknown quantity at this point"> UltimateBengal's Avatar

Congrats on a very nice draft. I give it a very solid A-. The only pick that really concerns me is Mike Adams, and not because of off field issues, but rather his on field play. As someone who has seen every snap he has taken at OSU, I sincerely hope he doesn't end up at LT. But, overall I am impressed with your draft!

Congrats!!!