Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Character Issues, Steelers select Mike Adams, Ohio State.

Senior Member Array title="Pristas has a spectacular aura about"> Pristas's Avatar

Let's Talk Character Issues, Steelers select Mike Adams, Ohio State.

What say ye? Sounds like this guy was a first round stud, until some character flaws came to light. What happened? What did he do? Has he been to Milledgeville, Ga?

Hophead Array title="SCSTILLER has a spectacular aura about"> SCSTILLER's Avatar

Re: Let's Talk Character Issues, Steelers select Mike Adams, Ohio State.

Quote Originally Posted by Pristas View Post
    What say ye? Sounds like this guy was a first round stud, until some character flaws came to light. What happened? What did he do? Has he been to Milledgeville, Ga?
    Supposedly Mary Jane got in touch with him. The ESPN announcers stated that he and his agent sent a letter to all the NFL teams stating that he regrets his decisions and is willing to give up some of his signing bonus as proof that he has learned from his mistakes. Now, can you believe the ESPN announcers?

If what ESPN is saying and he truly is sorry for his past actions, then I am stoked (sorry, bad choice of words in talking about Adams) about this pick. Our Oline needs alot of help and to be able to snag a first round prospect in the late second round is huge.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go!" -- John Muir

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Not forget that Santonio Holmes had helped the Steelers to win the super bowl in 2008

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

I think this whole smoking dope thing has been blown WAY out of purportion..
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Even without the reefer issues I wouldn't be thrilled with this pick. I just don't think this guy has what it takes to be a quality starter in the NFL. Plus I think we've already invested enough on the o-line. Add that we have more glaring needs on defense.

Oh well, not my decision to make. I hope I'm wrong and he's better than what i think he'll be.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="Pristas has a spectacular aura about"> Pristas's Avatar

I just read where he had taken some $$$ in violation of NCAA rules. Maybe that was the second strike they talked about...

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

i hope he can use his poor bench reps and 'bad character' concerns to motivate him

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pristas View Post
    I just read where he had taken some $$$ in violation of NCAA rules. Maybe that was the second strike they talked about...
    They ALL do. Sounds like he just got caught.

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    They ALL do. Sounds like he just got caught.
    A whole lot of them smoke weed too...

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

Personally think weed is a great workout motivator , puff puff pump
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayC View Post
    i hope he can use his poor bench reps and 'bad character' concerns to motivate him
    Dear lord, please give this bench press stuff a rest. If that was all there was to it Troy would be third string and Legursky would be all pro.

...and regardless I am sure the strength and conditioning coach will be working closely with him.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Junior Member Array title="wyn50 is an unknown quantity at this point">

He will just have a microscope over him at all times. Hope it works out. He has good potential.

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

I don't think weed is a character issue. But it is a judgment issue.

He came up dirty at the combine. Not a random test, but a major NFL event whose date was known months in advance. That's the part that worries me.

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Dear lord, please give this bench press stuff a rest. If that was all there was to it Troy would be third string and Legursky would be all pro.

...and regardless I am sure the strength and conditioning coach will be working closely with him.
    dear lord yourself. i was actually done talking about it but i should be allowed to bring it up all i want as this is a public message board and it's a concern about his dedication to me , right? guess not. i guess you plan on dear lording everyone that brings up his weed smoking over the next few months.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

weed. no big deal...lol...

get with the times.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    weed. no big deal...lol...

get with the times.
    I don't care that he tokes. Neither does team management.

Problem is the NFL does care. And he's already in the drug program before he plays a down. If he comes up dirty again we lose him for four games. After that it's a full year.

Hopefully he stays out of trouble from now on.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayC View Post
    The lack of reps is due to his long arms. The longer your arms the more difficult it is to do high reps.

That being said, I do not like the pick. My guess is the Steelers were looking for a bargain. That's if the letter his agent said was true about taking a cut in his signing bonus because of testing positive.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The Decastro pick didn't thrill me and this one is even worse. Adams really reeks of little "2nd round project" like Jason Worilds (And we all know how he's panning out).

This hasn't exactly been an amazing draft. Great. O-Line. But building a better O-Line isn't going to make Ben play better or take less risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    The Decastro pick didn't thrill me and this one is even worse. Adams really reeks of little "2nd round project" like Jason Worilds (And we all know how he's panning out).

This hasn't exactly been an amazing draft. Great. O-Line. But building a better O-Line isn't going to make Ben play better or take less risk.
    True, but we might be better at opening holes for our running backs and picking up short yardage situations.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

“Every pick is a risk, no question about it,” Colbert said. “With this being public information and him making it that type of situation, there is probably more of a risk than we are usually comfortable taking. Because he was forthcoming and met our criteria, we are comfortable with taking the risk. “These are young people. Young people make mistakes. If you are proactive in trying to correct those mistakes, I think you have to give that consideration, especially the way he personally sought us out. We didn't call him, he called us. Had he not called us, this may not have occurred.”

http://burgh.us/e5g

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Well, he certainly sounds like he's approaching it better than a lot of guys. Hopefully he learned his lesson. It's certainly better than "Yeah I smoke weed, who gives a f***, you pecker?" which is the attitude a lot of guys take.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="7willBheaven is on a distinguished road"> 7willBheaven's Avatar

SMH

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 7willBheaven View Post
    SMH
    That's what I'm saying. We pick up the best guard in the draft and guard was the position we needed to upgrade the most...

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

I am gobsmacked that you think the DeCastro pick is a bad one. Best OG prospect in 10 years falls to a team in desperate need of a OG.

Would love to hear your rationale as to why.

Worilds is a one trick speed rush pony. He is a 2nd round project. Adams has a comprehensive resume against quality DE's (some that are already in the NFL). His body of work suggest first round talent. He fell because of pot smoking and then not telling the truth.

I for one am absolutely, positively stoked about the talent that will be added to the roster via the first three picks.

Building a better O line will make Big Ben play better IMO. When given time Ben is lethal IMO.

I am happy to disagree with your assessments. I think the draft has been great.

What picks should have been made in your opinion?

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

The lack of bench reps and soft play speaks to motivation I think. At least he is a 2nd round pick with 1st round talent and 4th round motivation. Not any more lazy than Max Starks.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Edman, who were you hoping would be picked with the first 2 picks?
    Hater = Realist

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Edman, who were you hoping would be picked with the first 2 picks?
    I am guessing

1. 24 Brock Osweiler
    2. 56 Russell Wilson
    3. 88 Nick Foles

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

So your problem isn't with Decastro, it's just that you think Ben is too set in his ways and even the best offensive line in the world wouldn't make Ben any better of a quarterback?

Presuming I'm interpreting that correctly, I couldn't disagree more. Yeah I know Ben brings some of the sacks on himself. But I think that's partly correctable with a stronger emphasis on eliminating negative plays. To me that's why the whole new offensive coordinator thing came about this offseason. But also I think people tend to place too much blame on Ben for what to me has been clearly inferior pass protection for the past 5 seasons. I watch other games and other quarterbacks, and I don't think there's another quality team over the past half decade who's pocket collapses as fast or as often as the Steelers tends to do. Ben is way too often being forced out of the pocket inside 2 seconds. If you watched Super Bowl 43 you know that Ben has the ability to stand in the pocket and get to his 4th read. That is when he actually has a pocket to begin with.

My own opinion is that if Ben is given consistently better pass protection he'll take that next leap to unqualified greatness. By unqualified I mean there'll be no need for any qualifiers when you put the word elite in the same sentence with Ben. I.E. Ben's great but ....

Also Decastro is going to improve our running game, and help make this a complete offense again. No longer will 3rd and 2 be an automatic passing down.

How would that not help Ben?
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Me...there's not too much I'd change about Ben. I'm hoping he will have plenty of time to do his thing now...and stay in one piece to boot. He has got to be thrilled about what has taken place. We not only have opened up holes for the running game but have given him the time to find our outstanding stable pf receivers....what more could he (or we) ask for???