Thread: Steelers take chance on OSU tackle

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Steelers take chance on OSU tackle

The Steelers never would have called Mike Adams on Friday had the former Ohio State offensive tackle not called them
    first.
    Adams contacted the Steelers in March and requested a meeting after learning he tested positive for marijuana at the NFL Scouting Combine. The Steelers brought in Adams for an official visit and told him they were taking him off their draft board.
    That they took him with the 56th pick of the NFL Draft last night is telling of just how far Adams has come in the Steelers’ eyes since that meeting with president Art Rooney II, general manager Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin.
    The Steelers gave a first-round grade to Adams, who has the build and feet of a prototypical tackle. They felt comfortable enough after doing homework on the 6-foot-7, 323-pounder to take him after he fell to the latter part of the second round.
    “He met the criteria we required for him,” Colbert said, “but it’s going to be a day-to-day working relationship between all of us. Quite honestly, I’m not so much worried about
    the reward as I am about the young man getting his life in order.”
    The Steelers were the only team Adams, who grew up in Farrell, reached out to after his failed drug test.
    “I believe I’m the best tackle in the draft,” he said.
    Adams likely would have been a first-round pick if not for missteps at Ohio State as well what took place after he left college.

Read more: | TribLIVE | Pittsburgh http://triblive.com/sports/1109899-8...#ixzz1tKZIlQek
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Re: Steelers take chance on OSU tackle

Collier: Adams a risk Steelers were willing to take

Among the more enduring traditions of a Steelers franchise that embraces tradition like few others is this essential all-or-nothing nature of the second-round draft pick.

Kevin Colbert has made Pittsburgh's first-round success nearly metronomic, even if the pick after the pick has remained historically adventuresome.

Well, buckle up.

Into the Steelers tradition where for every Dermontti Dawson there's a Limas Sweed on your Round 2 Menu, where for every Chad Brown there's an Alonzo Jackson, where for every LaMarr Woodley there's a Ricardo Colclough, please welcome to the great and never-ending Steelers Scrutiny Festival Mr. Mike Adams, offensive tackle, Tattoo U.

Suspended for taking improper benefits in the scandal that felled coach Jim Tressel at Ohio State, Adams failed a drug test at the Indianapolis scouting combine after telling the Steelers he never smoked weed.

"We were point-blank with him," Colbert said, "We said, 'Mike, you've off our board.' "

And having said that, they found a way to get him back on.

"He sought us out," Colbert went on. "He requested a face-to-face with me, Art Rooney and Mike Tomlin, and we presented it to him: These are the stipulations that you have to accomplish for consideration for us to draft you, which the young man did. He met our criteria, met our stipulations."

Colbert wouldn't say what they were, but you would presume Adams had to do more than just open a Costco membership and move Tomlin's weights up to the attic.

It's unusual for the Steelers to crawl that far out on a limb for a second-round talent, but even more unusual for them to be so candid about their concerns.

"Those are usually offenses that we are not going to forgive," Colbert said. "Still, we're comfortable in selecting him, but it's a day-to-day process."

"I'm just happy to be a Steeler and very relieved that it's all over," Adams said in a conference call. "I love this organization and I'm glad to be a part of it. Every since I imagined playing in the NFL, the Steelers are the team I wanted. I grew up in Farrell, Pa., and when I was 4 years old my entire bedroom was Pittsburgh Steelers stuff. So it was important for me to reach out to them."

The Steelers were the only team Adams contacted after failing his drug test, and what he said was not only plausible, but impressive enough that the Steelers wound up passing on two viable nose tackles -- Clemson's Brandon Thompson and Washington's Alameda Ta'amu.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...o-take-633486/
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I know either a player or coach or announcer will call him Flozell.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Michael is just really nice">

Quite honestly, I’m not so much worried about
    the reward as I am about the young man getting his life in order.” Quote from Colbert.

This is why I love being a Steeler fan. I pray that all turns out well.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Looks like he worked very hard to measure up to the Steelers standards. Kudos to him.

Now the real work starts. Proving he is worth the risk will be twice as hard. Much luck to him!

He will be working closely with Ben. There's not a better example of hard work to meet the standards of getting a second chance and why it's such an honor and privilege to be a Steeler than Ben Roethlisberger. Now is Ben's time to show true leadership.

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

I like the pick. He obviously changed the Steelers mind about him and convinced them to draft him. He could be a franchise left tackle, he has the talent, and at worst an excellent right tackle to bookend the line with Marcus Gilbert.

It's obvious what the theme for the beginning of this draft was, protect Ben Roethlisberger.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

I'm not too sure on this Adams pick. I have all the faith in the world in the front office and picking players, but this kid smoked marijuana while getting ready for the combine knowing they would be testing !! Sounds like a real whiz kid to me. And him apologizing saying ' I won't do it again' just doesn't make a believer out of me. Hopefully the coaches and vet players will make him understand what future lies ahead for him if he stays clean. 2 out of 3 picks I'm liking so far !!

'

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

This is what I love most about the draft...the personal stories, the dreams come true. Any one of these guys now have the chance to become superstars, and even the most talented have years of hard work ahead of them. All draft picks are gambles, the highest rated can be busts and the undrafted can become megastars.

I wish each and everyone of them the best of luck.