The Steelers never would have called Mike Adams on Friday had the former Ohio State offensive tackle not called them
first.
Adams contacted the Steelers in March and requested a meeting after learning he tested positive for marijuana at the NFL Scouting Combine. The Steelers brought in Adams for an official visit and told him they were taking him off their draft board.
That they took him with the 56th pick of the NFL Draft last night is telling of just how far Adams has come in the Steelers’ eyes since that meeting with president Art Rooney II, general manager Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin.
The Steelers gave a first-round grade to Adams, who has the build and feet of a prototypical tackle. They felt comfortable enough after doing homework on the 6-foot-7, 323-pounder to take him after he fell to the latter part of the second round.
“He met the criteria we required for him,” Colbert said, “but it’s going to be a day-to-day working relationship between all of us. Quite honestly, I’m not so much worried about
the reward as I am about the young man getting his life in order.”
The Steelers were the only team Adams, who grew up in Farrell, reached out to after his failed drug test.
“I believe I’m the best tackle in the draft,” he said.
Adams likely would have been a first-round pick if not for missteps at Ohio State as well what took place after he left college.

Read more: | TribLIVE | Pittsburgh http://triblive.com/sports/1109899-8...#ixzz1tKZIlQek