Thread: SEAN SPENCE

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

SEAN SPENCE

Is he OLB or Will LB?? i dont know much about him

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

K = Dean + Roy Array title="steeldevil is a jewel in the rough"> steeldevil's Avatar

Re: SEAN SPENCE

I dont think he has a set position right now. Have already seen speculation we may try to make him a safety.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Butler says he'll play inside

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...7-5d69eda3e6cc
    Is Sean Spence and inside or outside linebacker?

He is going to be inside. They (Miami) have played in a 4-3 front, but it’s a different front than ours. We see him as an inside linebacker.

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

ILB it is. he needs to add some bulk for sure.

Scouting talent downunder Array title="Aussie_steeler is a name known to all"> Aussie_steeler's Avatar

[QUOTE=JayC;282258]ILB it is. he needs to add some bulk for sure.[/QUOTE

I think Butler sums it up best

We cover our linebackers up pretty good. What I mean by that is, we let them scrape and run to football a little bit more instead of coming downhill and taking on isos. The day of the iso with the middle linebacker is almost gone. Everybody is using tight ends as fullbacks and sometimes they use them when trying to lead and sometimes they don’t. A lot of stuff today is mis-direction and trying to fool you or out-number you one way and then give you a different look coming back the other way. A lot of that requires the ability to read from the linebackers now-a-days, not so much to get down and stuff a hole. Sometimes you have to do it on the goal line when you have to take on a big running back, but we’re taking on Ray Rice, we’re not taking on Jerome Bettis anymore.
    He will be required to cover and chase more than take on blocks.

I still see him as a Hybrid Troy Polamalu / Lawrence Timmons. Not quite each but somewhere in between.

"NUMBER 7 FOR OUR BELOVED ONE IN HEAVEN"

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

[QUOTE=Aussie_steeler;282267]
    Quote Originally Posted by JayC View Post
    ILB it is. he needs to add some bulk for sure.[/QUOTE

I think Butler sums it up best

He will be required to cover and chase more than take on blocks.

I still see him as a Hybrid Troy Polamalu / Lawrence Timmons. Not quite each but somewhere in between.
    Aussie, you may be on to something. Maybe they envision him in that "rover" position where Troy played and Timmons took over in recent years.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

I think he will be used as an ILB. He excels in short zone coverage.

I doubt he will be used as a safety. He doesn't quite have the speed.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

He's like Vilna or Beason, smaller guy but a tackling machine. Hope we get the NT to help him out in the 4th

i go hard like tiger wood Array title="lilyoder6 is an unknown quantity at this point">

and u know spence is an athlete.. da u dont recruit players that are athlete's lol.. i like the speed we have in the middle with him growing and timmons.. going to be interesting

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Butler says Timmons and Foote are still definitely the starters
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Well then we're going to have problems, because I doubt Foote will all of a sudden turn into James Farrior. He is not good in space and gets pushed around too easily. So I'm hoping Sly or Spence plays so well that they give the coaches no choice but to play them more often.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Butler says Timmons and Foote are still definitely the starters
    That's bad news. Is Foote taking Farrior's spot?
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    That's bad news. Is Foote taking Farrior's spot?
    i think Butler in his press conference for Sean Spence was hinting at that when he said that he believes Timmons can be one of the best in the league if we keep him at one position on the inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Swaggin' University Array title="ShutDown24 has a spectacular aura about"> ShutDown24's Avatar

With our defensive line as promising as it is, I really hope Spence can play next to Timmons. Maybe Sly can stay in on first down to assist versus the run. Although, he's not much heavier than Spence himself. I would love to see Spence play to a level that insists he be on the filed. Although, I guess that goes without saying.

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Reading up on this kid, you can see why the Steelers picked him. He may not be the fastest or biggest guy, but he's supposed to be wicked smart and have uncanny read and recognize skills. He also sounds like a field general, and those are perfect traits to replace Farrior. He plays faster than his clocked speed (and combine speeds will start meaning more to me when the game of football is played in shorts and is 100% a linear north-to-south sport) and has a head for the game and a nose for the ball. I think he'll be a fine addition and will be competing for that ILB spot sooner than we think.

Foote is a suitable back-up, knows his role, knows the assignments, and is rarely out-of-position. But he's just a stop-gap...
    Fire Goodell

Member Array title="IUSteel is an unknown quantity at this point">

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    ... (and combine speeds will start meaning more to me when the game of football is played in shorts and is 100% a linear north-to-south sport)...
    Don't give Goodell any ideas...

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    I think he will be used as an ILB. He excels in short zone coverage.
    El-Gonzo Jackson

He's like Vilna or Beason, smaller guy but a tackling machine.
    If he excels in short zone coverage and is a tackling machine (and has good instincts) is there any reason to not expect him to supplant Foote once he learns the system.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant