Thread: NFL Sunday Ticket $199

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

NFL Sunday Ticket $199

Great news. I thought they were going to raise the price.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/sports/nfl
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Carolina Steelers has a spectacular aura about"> Carolina Steelers's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Re: NFL Sunday Ticket $199

Wow i thought at this price wouldn't include HD but it does, yes this is great news.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

This is something I'm definitely going to look into. This is extremely cheap.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I just cancelled my DirecTV after 15 years. Most of their DVRs don't work with the new HD GUI that they switched to a while ago. Sometimes it takes 10 seconds just for it to change the channel on my HR20 DVRs. Same thing for bringing up the guide, etc. I've tried to work with them the last 6 months to fix this problem but they won't offer me a solution other than to ship me out replacement DVRs which may be the same ones that I currently have. If I want an HR24 or HR34, they said that I had to pay for it myself.

DirecTV isn't the same company as they used to be. They used to take care of their existing customers but not any more. Now they don't care.

I'm getting Dish Network with the Hopper installed this morning. All of the equipment and installation is free.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

DTV Never took care of their existing customers. That's why I paid the extremely high cancellation fee, packed my marbles, and went to Dish.

Back when bought my first HD Tv I called DTV to upgrade to the HD Package. They told me it wouldn't work with my current non-HD box and that I would have to buy the HD Box for a mere price $500!! The same box all new customers get for free, and the same offered my Dish for free. I was pissed because at this point I was with them for years and they zero intent of doing anything for existing customers. The only reason I am considering going back to DTV is for the Sunday ticket and even them I am hesitant. Besides DTV's interface is laggy and slow. I hated everything about it. Using Dish, when you hit a button, you don't have to wait for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

I have HD DirecTv and love it...never had any issues and the customer support has been great over the years. I guess Ive just been lucky. Ive been able to get it for ridiculously cheap for years too, so I have no issues with it.

Plus, living away from home in Pittsburgh, Sunday Ticket is a must...and at $199 Im excited to re-new my subscription.

My non HD reciever lags a little, but only a few seconds, I can live with that. The HD reciever has no lag whatsoever.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

They did take care of me for 14+ years. I was able to get equipment and programming free or at reduced costs. It used to be that you could go to the Retention department and they'd take care of you. They've since done away with the Retention department and you're left dealing with the regular Customer Support and they won't do anything.

The interface is definitely laggy and slow. That's my big complaint with them.

U.S. AIR FORCE Array title="Hindes204 has much to be proud of"> Hindes204's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    The interface is definitely laggy and slow. That's my big complaint with them.
    My new HD reciever is just as fast as regular cable, no lag time whatsoever. I was lucky enough to get a free upgrade when I moved, so everything was free.

Quote Originally Posted by Hindes204 View Post
    My new HD reciever is just as fast as regular cable, no lag time whatsoever. I was lucky enough to get a free upgrade when I moved, so everything was free.
    Are you using a DVR? If so, which model? The new receivers do work well. It's the older ones that have a problem. DirecTV wouldn't upgrade my DVRs to the new models.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    Are you using a DVR? If so, which model? The new receivers do work well. It's the older ones that have a problem. DirecTV wouldn't upgrade my DVRs to the new models.
    Yes, I have a new HD DVR, an older standard DVR, and an older standard reciever. The HD DVR is lightning fast, the standard DVR has a little lag but not so bad that I cant deal with it. Im not sure about the standard reciever in my sons room, hes never mentioned anything so Im assuming it works fine.

Senior Member Array title="GodfatherofSoul is a jewel in the rough"> GodfatherofSoul's Avatar

I've had DirecTV the last 3 seasons and doubt I'll do it again. First off, it ain't $199. You've got a *mandatory* 2 year contract with a $20/month cancellation fee. So, you bail out after the football season and you're talking $350-400. Want to just keep your subscription? It'll cost you more if you do the math. Plus, you're paying a monthly bill that's not cheap. Then, if you want HD and a DVR, fees on top of that. All I want is to see Steelers game and probably worked out to $600-800 per season. I figure it's cheaper to get Dish and con the guys into changing your home station to Pittsburgh.

Geek God Array title="X-Terminator has a reputation beyond repute"> X-Terminator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    DTV Never took care of their existing customers. That's why I paid the extremely high cancellation fee, packed my marbles, and went to Dish.

Back when bought my first HD Tv I called DTV to upgrade to the HD Package. They told me it wouldn't work with my current non-HD box and that I would have to buy the HD Box for a mere price $500!! The same box all new customers get for free, and the same offered my Dish for free. I was pissed because at this point I was with them for years and they zero intent of doing anything for existing customers. The only reason I am considering going back to DTV is for the Sunday ticket and even them I am hesitant.
    Sounds like Comca$t, which is why I am dumping their overpriced service as soon as I get the chance.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GodfatherofSoul View Post
    I've had DirecTV the last 3 seasons and doubt I'll do it again. First off, it ain't $199. You've got a *mandatory* 2 year contract with a $20/month cancellation fee. So, you bail out after the football season and you're talking $350-400. Want to just keep your subscription? It'll cost you more if you do the math. Plus, you're paying a monthly bill that's not cheap. Then, if you want HD and a DVR, fees on top of that. All I want is to see Steelers game and probably worked out to $600-800 per season. I figure it's cheaper to get Dish and con the guys into changing your home station to Pittsburgh.
    I don't see where it says you must have a mandatory 2 year contract. I had Sunday Ticket ToGo last season. The HD was free. I did not need an extra device. I would still pay $350.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

$199 is not cheap. It sucks donkey dick.

Living outside of Pittsburgh, you usually get to see 4-5 games a year anyway because of Monday night games, Sunday night games, Thursday games and the occasional time when the Steelers are the national/regional game. And let's say you miss one game a year because you just happen to have something else going on. That means you're paying basically $20-$25 a game, and at that price you might as well go to a sports bar and get a few beers for your trouble, which is what I do.

Another thing that works 10 times better: If you know someone who lives in Pittsburgh, buy them a Slingbox and have them stream the games to you. That way you pay $199 to get every Steelers game for as long as they stay your friend.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Carolina Steelers has a spectacular aura about"> Carolina Steelers's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    $199 is not cheap. It sucks donkey dick.

Living outside of Pittsburgh, you usually get to see 4-5 games a year anyway because of Monday night games, Sunday night games, Thursday games and the occasional time when the Steelers are the national/regional game. And let's say you miss one game a year because you just happen to have something else going on. That means you're paying basically $20-$25 a game, and at that price you might as well go to a sports bar and get a few beers for your trouble, which is what I do.

Another thing that works 10 times better: If you know someone who lives in Pittsburgh, buy them a Slingbox and have them stream the games to you. That way you pay $199 to get every Steelers game for as long as they stay your friend.
    I understand what your saying but IMO its worth it not only i dont miss any Steelers games but I also have access to any game i want not stuck watching the Panthers play in my area. Steelers open up Sunday night which is National but i can watch any game i want on opening day sunday which to me IMO is priceless. Plus why go to a bar and pay for expensive beer snacks i dont want and to use a public restroom. I dont mind paying 20.00 a game to watch my Steelers plus any other game i want

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Steelers View Post
    I understand what your saying but IMO its worth it not only i dont miss any Steelers games but I also have access to any game i want not stuck watching the Panthers play in my area. Steelers open up Sunday night which is National but i can watch any game i want on opening day sunday which to me IMO is priceless. Plus why go to a bar and pay for expensive beer snacks i dont want and to use a public restroom. I dont mind paying 20.00 a game to watch my Steelers plus any other game i want
    These are my thoughts as well. I like being able to watch any game I want, switching between games, and tracking my fantasy team points through my tv. I would be stuck watching the 49rs and Raiders without it. Plus, I have a 60" HDTV, why not utilize it, lol.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GodfatherofSoul View Post
    Believe me I've tried and tried, hung up the phone, talked to more people, talked to the installers. They did away with that home town shit. The installer said the FCC has come down on that. Have u done it recently or only heard about it?

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Anyone know if this is accurate for the PS3 as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="GodfatherofSoul is a jewel in the rough"> GodfatherofSoul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    Believe me I've tried and tried, hung up the phone, talked to more people, talked to the installers. They did away with that home town shit. The installer said the FCC has come down on that. Have u done it recently or only heard about it?

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk
    I haven't tried but I've talked to people who have. I heard you can just email in your request to support, and they'll do it for you. Try that. Note, you can't tell them what you're intending since it's technically illegal. Don't give a convoluted reason, just say you've moved and you don't need anyone to come out for support/calibration. I talked to a Dish guy on the phone last summer and he wink-wink told me he couldn't sell it to me for the reasons I'd asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    I don't see where it says you must have a mandatory 2 year contract. I had Sunday Ticket ToGo last season. The HD was free. I did not need an extra device. I would still pay $350.
    That's fantastic if it exists, but I tried my a** off to get that kind of a deal and I couldn't. I don't want DirecTV for any more than Steelers games, I've made that clear 3 years in a row, and it's never worked out.

I really dislike DirecTV - and have spent probably three weeks worth of time on the phone with them over the last few years. If it wasn't for the NFL package, I'd leave. I still might. Less and less am I watching tv and I don't have an insatiable urge to watch the Steelers live anymore.

I can stay away from the scores for 24 hours and pay for NFL rewind instead - stream the game without commercials, and not have to worry about my DVR not catching the game.

Of course, I'll probably just end up coughing up the $200.00 again - but that's a lot better than the 350 or whatever it wsa before.

As for making Pittsburgh your hometown... you have to be living within a certain part of the country to fool the satellite. I'm serious - I asked them about it when we were living in Louisville and getting ready to move to California. We had our account switched over and all of a sudden, our DirecTV didn't work for local channels. As it turns out, it has something to do with how the satellites send the signals to different parts of the country. At least, it's like that (was like that?) for DTV.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

We got Direct TV installed last January...all new equipnent, HD reciever, and they even came out and hooked a free modem for the internet when we got our new smart TV last fall. We had free Sunday Ticket last year and will pay the 199.99 for it this year so we can stay home and watch most of the games and go to our bar with our friends on a couple of big games. We love the HD...I have no clue about this 'lag'" you guys are talking about...we have no problems at all. I wouldn't give it up for nuthin.

My only complaint is there website and the difficulty of ordering/watching movies. It took 24 hours one time to download a movie we bought to watch that night and had to wait to watch it. and I wish they had a "manage your recordings" page on the website so you could keep track of what you are doing. Other than that...no problemo.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Steelers View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the first part ... I mean, at any sports bar I go to, they have all the games on. I guess the second half is just a difference of opinion. If I'm spending the $20 anyway, I can't really conceive of not wanting beer, and I can piss in a public bathroom all day. I piss all over the place.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Formerly TheWarden86 Array title="NJarhead has much to be proud of"> NJarhead's Avatar

Anyone know if Fox Sports Pitt is still on Directv?

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

The only downside to Directv on Cincinnati is that we STILL couldn't watch the Bengals games.

But we get to watch any other game we want and usually flip betweenthem all.