Thread: Browns QB

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Browns QB

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Re: Browns QB

Awesome.

Swaggin' University Array title="ShutDown24 has a spectacular aura about"> ShutDown24's Avatar

Haha that's hilrious. I could see that list ending here though. I really like Weeden.

AKA xfl2001fan-GO BROWNS! Array title="GitNoLuv is on a distinguished road"> GitNoLuv's Avatar

I'm not sold on him...he has to transition into the AFC where he will face two of the toughest defenses in the league...and he'll be playing those guys twice each year. Maybe if he was younger, I wouldn't be bothered by it so much...and at least the Browns were able to give him a RT and a HB upgrade (though I still contend there were better RT prospects on the board when they took Schwartz.)

Ultimately, other than having a stronger arm than Colt McCoy...I don't see us taking a huge step forward with him at the helm...or at least not a big enough step forward (compared to the step forward Colt would have taken.)

The Browns should have added more weapons...not another guy behind center. If Colt really isn't the answer (and I strongly suspect he wasn't) then we're in position to grab a QB next year (and H&H will have learned their lesson on how to go up to get the guy you want).

Instead, they look like they've been owned left and right all over this draft. Got schlepped into trading up for no reason. Then, took a QB they don't really need, waaay too early...leaving better prospects at multiple positions of need on the board.
    Official SteelUniverse Guru and BrainTrust Committee Chairman!!!

Swaggin' University Array title="ShutDown24 has a spectacular aura about"> ShutDown24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GitNoLuv View Post
    I'm not sold on him...he has to transition into the AFC where he will face two of the toughest defenses in the league...and he'll be playing those guys twice each year. Maybe if he was younger, I wouldn't be bothered by it so much...and at least the Browns were able to give him a RT and a HB upgrade (though I still contend there were better RT prospects on the board when they took Schwartz.)

Ultimately, other than having a stronger arm than Colt McCoy...I don't see us taking a huge step forward with him at the helm...or at least not a big enough step forward (compared to the step forward Colt would have taken.)

The Browns should have added more weapons...not another guy behind center. If Colt really isn't the answer (and I strongly suspect he wasn't) then we're in position to grab a QB next year (and H&H will have learned their lesson on how to go up to get the guy you want).

Instead, they look like they've been owned left and right all over this draft. Got schlepped into trading up for no reason. Then, took a QB they don't really need, waaay too early...leaving better prospects at multiple positions of need on the board.
    If I were the Browns I would have went Blackmon at 4, OT at 22 and hell, probably could have grabbed Weeden at 37 (Although I do think he's worth a first round pick). And if not Weeden at 37, Janoris Jenkins wouldn't have been a bad gamble. Or a Glenn/Silatolu type.

Point being, you could have come away with a huge offensive piece, a legit right tackle and maybe a defensive player. And still probably could have managed to lose enough games next year to be in play for Barkley as a 20-something franchise QB.

Instead. You have a runningback, a 28 year old rookie QB with a mediocre supporting cast, and a reach at tackle. I could see Weeden leading you guys to 7-9 or 8-8... But what's the point of that? By the time he has enough talent around him to go all the way he'll be ready to retire lol.

And that's why you are the Browns. Gotta love it

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

It's going to be the same QB controversy they had just a few seasons ago. Self-inflicted stupidity.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Big transition from great offense playing against bad defenses to bad offense playing against great defenses

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Positives:

-Cannon for an arm, can make all the throws.
    -Mature being 28 (29 in October) and knows what to expect in a pro sports environment from his days as a minor league pitcher
    -He's smart, something you need in a QB

Negatives:

-His age means he can't sit around and learn for a couple of seasons like Rogers and Rivers did, also means a shorter career so he likely isn't the answer for 10+ years
    -Transitioning from an offense that was rather simple and one that he had the draft's best receiver to throw to...to a team with an offense that is more complex and lacks weapons at receiver

He's going to be expected to start as a rookie. He's got to face the Steelers and Ravens defenses twice a year every year. The Bengals defense isn't bad either.

He probably would have been there at their pick in the second round, but when Wright went to the Titans, it looks like the Browns took the next player on their board that they liked best. I cannot really fault them for that.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Derek Anderson had a cannon too look how that panned out

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    Derek Anderson had a cannon too look how that panned out
    He was also inaccurate as all hell and could only throw the deep ball. Weeden can make all the throws and has nice touch also.

And the days of a weak armed QB being more than mildly successful in the NFL is over. Brees, Manning A, Manning B, Brady, Roethlisberger, Rogers, Schuab...they all have one thing in common, pretty strong arms.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

In the beginning, Bradshaw was only all arm. His best pass should have been an incompletion with seconds to go in 1972, but turned into the greatest play in NFL history. Then the FO got him somebody to throw to. For the record, the Browns are not on the verge of becoming the next dynasty with that draft.
    All Defense!

AKA xfl2001fan-GO BROWNS! Array title="GitNoLuv is on a distinguished road"> GitNoLuv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShutDown24 View Post
    If I were the Browns I would have went Blackmon at 4, OT at 22 and hell, probably could have grabbed Weeden at 37 (Although I do think he's worth a first round pick). And if not Weeden at 37, Janoris Jenkins wouldn't have been a bad gamble. Or a Glenn/Silatolu type.

Point being, you could have come away with a huge offensive piece, a legit right tackle and maybe a defensive player. And still probably could have managed to lose enough games next year to be in play for Barkley as a 20-something franchise QB.

Instead. You have a runningback, a 28 year old rookie QB with a mediocre supporting cast, and a reach at tackle. I could see Weeden leading you guys to 7-9 or 8-8... But what's the point of that? By the time he has enough talent around him to go all the way he'll be ready to retire lol.

And that's why you are the Browns. Gotta love it
    Believe it or not, I wanted to trade back...collect more picks. Get the QB next year. Look at what we got for Julio Jones last year.

Greg Little
    Phil Taylor (had to trade back up to get him, but the Julio Jones trade was huge)
    Brandon Weeden
    Owen Marecic
    Travis Benjamin

If we had gone with OT at 22 instead of Weeden and managed to trade back...maybe we could have had an even deeper team next year...and one with some targets to throw to.

Not only that, but if we had traded back, we'd still have our 3rd rounder.

Would have loved to have collected more for a guy (Blackmon) who I think isn't much better than Julio Jones (not as fast, slightly better hands)...

Trade back and take Reiff to secure our right side. Take HB Doug Martin at 22. At 37, could have gone with WR Stephen Hill. Yeah, he's raw, but look who we have throwing the ball. Gives him a year to develop...while we still build a team. With the extra picks, maybe trade up far enough into the 2nd to take Zack Brown as an OLB (a huge need for us) or stay put and take S Brandon Taylor. He's not a great FS...but he's an improvement on our roster as it stands right now.

Overall, our team improves more (depth wise) and next year becomes our splash year. We still have too many holes to compete, but we don't look like our FO is made up of panicky fvcktards in the process.

Even if we had taken BPA at positions of need this year, we're not ready to compete with Steelers/Ravens/Bengals. Might as well build the rest of the team up and prep for next year.
    Official SteelUniverse Guru and BrainTrust Committee Chairman!!!

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by GitNoLuv View Post
    we're not ready to compete with Steelers/Ravens/Bengals. Might as well build the rest of the team up and prep for next year.
    Steelers and Ratbirds, no.

But the Bungholes will go back to being the Bungholes.

Steeler Nation Array title="O'Malley will become famous soon enough"> O'Malley's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O'Malley View Post
    Next we need to see the proposed giant ass that goes with it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...s_that_cl.html
    Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Next we need to see the proposed giant ass that goes with it.
    All Defense!

Conservatarian Array title="Wallace108 is a splendid one to behold"> Wallace108's Avatar

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I heard the Browns were talking about bringing in Favre to have a young QB to groom behind Weeden.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
    I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I heard the Browns were talking about bringing in Favre to have a young QB to groom behind Weeden.
    Sad thing is, by the time Weeden learns the NFL, he'll be ready for retirement.

I am so glad the Browns are in the AFC North.