Thread: The NFL Offensive Coordinator

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

The NFL Offensive Coordinator

Instead of just repeatedly bashing my head against the wall, I thought it might be instructive for all the Monday morning arm-chair OC's to actually learn a little bit more about what actually goes into being an NFL OC.

So I'm going to compile a list of articles which focus on the job, what it entails, and what goes into a typical gameplan. Since I didn't actually WRITE any of the articles, perhaps some of the typical knee-jerk reactionary nonsense that greets every post I create on the subject will at least be slightly tempered.

(Note: I also realize that there will be some defaming of the source material as well as discrediting of the particular writers, so I'm going to try and cast a wide net and cite a lot of different sources. Also, this has NOTHING to do with Arians. It's sad that I even need to be saying that at this point...)

Kirwan on producing a gameplan:
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...months-of-work

Bill Walsh's WCO Practice and game planning (This is really, really good)
    http://www.westcoastoffense.com/prac...20planning.htm

Brian Billick on planning. Even though he's an ass, this is also very good.
    http://www.westcoastoffense.com/impl...ame%20plan.htm

This is the weekly plan for the OC of Bethany College. I've never heard of Bethany College, but I've heard of 12 hour days. They all seem to work them
    http://www.coachad.com/pages/Spre/Te...-Game-Plan.php

I would also recommend Seth Wickersham's piece in ESPN The Mag where he broke down the entire Texans gameplan versus the Steelers in week 4 of last season. You need ESPN Insider to access it.
    Fire Goodell

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

Re: The NFL Offensive Coordinator

Not even one comment?
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    Not even one comment?
    Arians sucks!

sorry I couldn't resist.

btw he doesn't suck, just having some fun.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

The NFL Offensive Coordinator certainly earns his money, and the same goes for the Defensive Coordinator. The funny thing about a coordinator is that if you watch a fan during a game, you'll notice that the fan hates and loves that coordinator several times throughout the game

Good read, and Arians sucks

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Arians sucks!

sorry I couldn't resist.

btw he doesn't suck, just having some fun.

He blow's.

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by suitanim View Post
    Not even one comment?
    To be honest, I doubt that the ones who you think need convincing will change their minds. I'll probably read through all this sometime soon simply because it looks pretty interesting. But I get the feeling that the people you're talking about probably are not going to be inclined to go through such an exercise just to better themselves.

Also, a little advice: Some of the problem is that you kind of presented it like a dick. Yes, there's a ton of information here, and I'm not doubting your understanding of the game - but the way you phrase the introduction is basically asking people to say to themselves, "You know what? This guy's right - I AM an asshole, so I'd better read this." You are probably not going to get the reaction you want out of your target audience that way.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

We get it. It's a hard thankless job, which they accept willingly. So what's the problem? I do love however that your base argument that we don't know enough about the job to harshly evaluate Arians could easily be turned to you don't know enough about the job to tell me he's any good either. That's the fun of having opinions , I'm allowed to have mine and your allowed to have yours. You drag yourself into every Arians bashing thread and try and convince people he's great, that doesn't work so you start a thread about how hard it is to be a OC . I really don't get your interest in the subject other that you have too much free time and HISTORY has showed that you like to be the antagonizer and attempt to get posters to blow them selves up over you. Sorry everyone here is tired of the routine.
    Merry Christmas

Renegade. Array title="bayz101 has a reputation beyond repute"> bayz101's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    We get it. It's a hard thankless job, which they accept willingly. So what's the problem? I do love however that your base argument that we don't know enough about the job to harshly evaluate Arians could easily be turned to you don't know enough about the job to tell me he's any good either. That's the fun of having opinions , I'm allowed to have mine and your allowed to have yours. You drag yourself into every Arians bashing thread and try and convince people he's great, that doesn't work so you start a thread about how hard it is to be a OC . I really don't get your interest in the subject other that you have too much free time and HISTORY has showed that you like to be the antagonizer and attempt to get posters to blow them selves up over you. Sorry everyone here is tired of the routine.

Wah.
    Fire Goodell

Well, that wasn't the response I was expecting. I was expecting you to further explain your intentions of this thread, and reveal why it is you decided to word it the way you did. Putting together a list of articles about being an offensive coordinator written by people who've likely never been offensive coordinators in their lifetime and then describing your intended audience as "Arm-Chair offensive-coordinator's" isn't a good way to start things off, and that's likely why you've received the responses you have. I actually enjoyed the articles, and I thank you for posting them. It's just all that extra stuff that doesn't look good, and I think you know that. You know, I always thought the term "Arm-Chair *insert skillset/position here*" was a funny term to use on a board, because most of the people posting on a board aren't *insert skillset/position here* themselves. I guess that makes anyone who wants to discuss a certain subject an armchair poster

Thanks for posting the articles, suit. It was a good read.

Edit: And if you're an offensive coordinator in the NFL, disregard all of the above.
    Last edited by bayz101; 04-13-2012 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Forgot something.

The purpose of the thread is obvious. And I don't give a fuck what people say about me, or my posting style...

My request for comments was about the material I presented, not about me (not that I care anyway...I expect a good bit of whining and weeping from the usual suspects). Of course, this is the same board where people who claim to be my intellectual superior also complain about me posting political material in a political forum, so perhaps I have set my bar of expectations too high...
    Fire Goodell

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

A lot of good information posted in the original post. Some of which I have read, some of which I have not. Great info, great post suit! The football heads should enjoy it!! I do!

Thanks...keep these coming...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Listen, Mac. No one's trying to pick a fight with you. I think we all saw on the last message board what happens when it gets into name-calling and insulting each other's intelligence, and I don't think it's anyone's intention to start that again. So PLEASE do not start taking any of this shit personally. People have been a lot better about that for the past couple of years. No one is out to get you this time; I can't speak for everyone, but I think most of us would rather smooth over our differences and remain on friendly terms even if certain things are getting frustrating.

I am not saying this to "call you out" or lecture you, by the way. Just trying to make my own intentions clear. I would rather be on your good side because arguing is not much fun, and because now that people seem to have gotten over the drama from SF and can see through their own personal biases since they get along better, it's obvious that you have a passion for the game and have a lot of useful insights about it. I would much rather forget about these kinds of little disagreements and treat you as a friend, instead of running with them and treating you like an adversary. So how about it?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

I didn't comment because I have no desire to continue this discussion. Although claimed that this ISN'T about Arians, it obviously is. You like him and some others like him as an OC, many of us don't. Rooney decided we needed a change, discussion over for me. If you want to follow his career, watch how he does with the colts and see how he does building from scratch. I'm more concerned over what our new OC is able to accomplish with the talent we have

Quote Originally Posted by pepsyman1 View Post
    I didn't comment because I have no desire to continue this discussion. Although claimed that this ISN'T about Arians, it obviously is. You like him and some others like him as an OC, many of us don't. Rooney decided we needed a change, discussion over for me. If you want to follow his career, watch how he does with the colts and see how he does building from scratch. I'm more concerned over what our new OC is able to accomplish with the talent we have
    This will be about Haley, too....in about 5 months.
    Fire Goodell